PDA

View Full Version : GPS ideas for Russian Traverse

Bartman10
28th March 2007, 16:58
Hi Folks,

I wasn't planning on a GPS for the Russian Traverse for various reasons including cash flow restrictions, but considiring the sucess of our sponsorship we can probably afford it...

There was also some concern about the legality of GPS in Russia, althogh it seems that the law has been now changed to make GPS legal in Russia.

We need something that's small, robust and most importantly has low power consumption, as in the areas where we will really need it there may not be a handy source of electrickery. Especially if we decide to go to Mongolia...

Any recomendations?

Cheers, Mark

www.russiantraverse.co.nz

Zukin
28th March 2007, 17:03
Hey

I would suggest a Garmin Legend
Why?
Because that it what I have used for the last 4 years!!
Its brilliant, I can load maps onto it (not sure about Russia though) and it is very accurate, it is small enough to hide in pockets etc, and you can mount it onto your handlebars.
It can have 1000 waypoints and you can create many routes

Cheers Scott

skelstar
28th March 2007, 17:50
How long you gone for? You could use my Garmin eTrex Legend if you like. At least give it a try before you go to get a feel for what you want.

Having said that there wouldn't much room on it for maps, you'd just have the position info.

paulj
29th March 2007, 04:56
I use a Garmin Etrex Vista Cx and I have wired it into the bike electrics as it does suck out the batteries fairly quickly - as do all the other versions it seems.

Also I am not convinced that the handlebar mount is sufficiently decoupled from the bike. I have used rubber padding under the mount but... now my etrex is in the repair shop after a season of fairly rough trail use. Might be OK on roads but I won't be using it on trails mounted on the bike like that - further, I am now wondering about the backfire from the bike's electrics coming up the lead.

Can't prove anything yet but both these issues should be taken into account - otherwise ... brilliant to use, and very useful.

Dafe
29th March 2007, 06:12
GPS is an American based satellite system consisting of 24 Geostationary satellites.

The Russians have their own nav aid system called Glonass - also consisting of 24 geostationary satellites. Thats 48 satellites in orbit, just for two causes.

On an average day, Glonass is more accurate than GPS. However, during wartime, GPS has errors inserted to prevent it being used as a tool of accuracy against the US. The Russians also seem to need to replace their satellites frequently.

I wonder if there are any receivers that can actually utilise both systems?

Back on the topic - I got a compass if you want it!

upshift
4th April 2007, 01:00
As I learned very quickly there can be issues attaching GPS receivers to motorbikes. I was running mine on it's internal batteries and problems of intermittent shutdown started the very first day. Even after I took it off the bike the problems continued for weeks afterward. Seems to have come right now but the vibes of the bike really screwed it.

After a lot of searching I found this which seemed to explain the problem. Also click on the link "battery tips" if running the GPS on it's internal batteries, there is some model specific info there. Basically there are two issues, mechanical vibration if using GPSr on internal batteries and bike power supply if powering it from the bike.

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/powint.htm

PaulJ, this may be the cause of the problems you are having?.

upshift
4th April 2007, 12:17
Your starting point however should be what English language maps and Points of Interest (POI) data is available for Russia? Then look at what GPSr's will support it. You will almost certainly end up getting a Garmin so start looking at Garmin models as well.

Sounds like you have never used one before and are not aware of what the latest models are capable of. They are one of those things that once you have used one you would never be without. Take one, if only for emergency use.

Happy to meet up and show you what GPSr's are capable of but would need to be later next week or following weekend (14th/15th April). PM me if interested.

paulj
5th April 2007, 05:57
As I learned very quickly there can be issues attaching GPS receivers to motorbikes.

After a lot of searching I found this which seemed to explain the problem. Also click on the link "battery tips" if running the GPS on it's internal batteries, there is some model specific info there. Basically there are two issues, mechanical vibration if using GPSr on internal batteries and bike power supply if powering it from the bike.

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/powint.htm

PaulJ, this may be the cause of the problems you are having?.

Bugger - not so simple as I had assumed - thanks for the link and feedback - although my unit worked fine via internal batteries and only failed sometime after the bike was wired into it. My Garmin is externally powered via a USB power pack in the ciggie lighter so I had assumed (again) that this would offer some protection and stabilisation. Dielectric goo is more of a prevention measure (which I will do).

Mine is failing to acquire satellites - all other functions work OK. The graphic shows no reception at all suggesting that the antenna maybe kaput, therefore vibration could be the cause - I'll need to see the repair report.

NordieBoy
5th April 2007, 08:39
Mine is failing to acquire satellites - all other functions work OK. The graphic shows no reception at all suggesting that the antenna maybe kaput, therefore vibration could be the cause - I'll need to see the repair report.

Which Garmin do you have?
My Legends have been well... Legendary.
All I've done to the latest one is vasalined it.

skelstar
5th April 2007, 09:01
My Legend running of its own batteries and mounted on the bars has never had a failure.

NordieBoy
5th April 2007, 10:53
My Legend running of its own batteries and mounted on the bars has never had a failure.
How many cylinders does your bike have?

skelstar
5th April 2007, 10:55
Good point. 4.

Zukin
5th April 2007, 17:13

I have had mine setup for the last 12 months the same.
No problems with it now, but in the early days it would sometimes switch off after hitting a few larger bumps.
I simply added some rubber under the handlebar mount :yes:

merv
5th April 2007, 22:18
I've used a Garmin GPSMap76CS (this is a marine weather proof model) for over a year on my bikes and on the dirt bikes have been on some pretty rough tracks and its never missed a beat and its always on alkaline batteries. Mounting is standard Garmin cycle handlebar mount on the dirt bikes and car mount bracket on my VFR. In the car I run it on ciggy lighter power also no problems.

A year on now there are probably better models than mine.

Titanium
5th April 2007, 22:25
check out www.mapworld.co.nz

They were a big help when I was looking for GPS, but were just darned expensive compared to other resellers.

The one I have use in australia is johnnyappleseed I arrive and had to purchase maps for Australia and have my Garmin unit unlocked for this zone ($400 later).

What ever you choose, make sure the maps are avaliable for you to purchase or you can get them pre-loaded on to an SD card.

Cheers

Peter

sAsLEX
6th April 2007, 02:12
Do you actually want one to read off constantly? Or just one to check occasionally as this changes cost dramatically?

Skyrich
10th April 2007, 21:31
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 - made for motorbikes. Works like a dream mounted on the handlebars. Waterproof too. Have ridden some pretty rough stuff and no issues. The internal battery can power it up for app 4 hrs off the bike which is a handy feature to have and it recharges while conected to the bike power supply.

Rich

MVnut
14th April 2007, 23:41
I think you'll find Mongolia & much of Russia has not been mapped:scooter:

scracha
14th April 2007, 23:49
Other option is a PDA with bluetooth GPS receiver? Combine with bluetooth or normal headphones and it'll shout directions in the sexy voice of your choice. Much cheaper and much more versatile.

NordieBoy
14th April 2007, 23:51
The battery life of the bluetooth gps recievers is usually measured in single digit hours.

Bartman10
15th April 2007, 21:07
I think you'll find Mongolia & much of Russia has not been mapped:scooter:

Maps of Russia are readily available for Garmin units, including from adventure rider bob: www.smellybiker.com

In fact high quality map images of Russia have been available for free down load from various US military and other sites for a number of years.

I bought an awesome Russian road atlas from the map shop in Christchurch. It even shows petrol stations...

Not sure about Mongolia though.

Budget is looking pretty slim anyway. Probably stick with regular paper map...

Cheers.

NordieBoy
16th April 2007, 08:25
I bought an awesome Russian road atlas from the map shop in Christchurch. It even shows petrol stations...
Ahhh...
But do said petrol stations actually exist or are they just weapons of mass transit and only appear on US maps?

Bartman10
4th May 2007, 21:22
Ended up biting the bullet and buying a top-of-the-range job... The garmin MAP60CSx. All the bells and whistles, most impresed with it. Couldn't really afford it, but what the hell :whocares:

I've been checking out geocaching in Russia. Looks like it hasn't really caught on, but who knows.

Downloaded and excellent map of Russia from bike adventurer Bob at www.smellybiker.com (http://www.smellybiker.com)

I agree with previous post, mapworld in Christchurch are
awesome.. We got the Russian road map off them.

Cheers.