PDA

View Full Version : Hot pursuit tonight in Welly (28 March)

nudemetalz
28th March 2007, 19:17
...and here we are, the Mrs and I returning from the fish & chip shop tonight going up Newlands Road, when what looks like a ZZR-250 2-up goes past us at full revs going the other way and overtaking, coming very close to us !!
1/2 a second behind them is Mr Plod with the Disco Lights on in hot pursuit.
The road is quite wet and greasy. Accident waiting to happen, either of them, ...oh hang on, The Plod are skilled drivers and their Commodores never crash....
Annoys me this sort of thing. The road was quite busy, not the place for this.

Madness
28th March 2007, 19:18
Maybe not the bike for it either?

Grahameeboy
28th March 2007, 19:19
Agree matey.....what are they really going to achieve......just seems that some Traffic Cops get this gun ho thing in their head....

vamr
28th March 2007, 19:23
At least it's a gateaway on a comfy seat.

Blackbird
28th March 2007, 19:24
Agree matey.....what are they really going to achieve......just seems that some Traffic Cops get this gun ho thing in their head....

And just perhaps the bike rider was behaving like a twat and needed stopping? Let's have a bit of balance, for gawd's sake:yes:

kneescraper
28th March 2007, 19:25
Not the thing I would want to come across. Unless the biker has done something real serious like murdering someone or robbing a bank etc I think the cops should just let them go....at that time of the day any who. Not worth the lives that could be taken in a high speed chase like that!

Grahameeboy
28th March 2007, 19:31
And just perhaps the bike rider was behaving like a twat and needed stopping? Let's have a bit of balance, for gawd's sake:yes:

Not saying you are wrong, however, so the guy was being a twat and now he is being chased he is gonna be more of a twat topped up by a police car in hot pursuit in busy traffic in the rain............I just feel that the risks outweigh the need to pursue........:yes:

Cop to Base "we have stopped the offender....ambulance please"

Blackbird
28th March 2007, 19:43
Not saying you are wrong, however, so the guy was being a twat and now he is being chased he is gonna be more of a twat topped up by a police car in hot pursuit in busy traffic in the rain............I just feel that the risks outweigh the need to pursue........:yes:

Cop to Base "we have stopped the offender....ambulance please"

Maybe I was being a bit sharp but the cops have a shit job at the best of times and some of the slagging off on this website is completely unwarranted. Suppose the guy on the bike had bowled over one of your family crossing the road or had thieved some of their property, you might have have a rather different view!

Rant over, I'm not as pissed off as I sound. Having done a runner once in my career and scared myself silly (it will never happen again), I don't have a problem with holding a position on this:done:

tl_tub
28th March 2007, 19:49
Wow so close to home! I cant say ive seen any 250s around lately, not that i stand out on the street watching them, but i do hear them go past in the morning and evening :)
Know if he was a local, or was he just one of those hutt people that got lost? :P

Qkchk
28th March 2007, 19:51
Maybe not the bike for it either?

:rofl: Takes me back to the times of JSG on his ZZR..........

Grahameeboy
28th March 2007, 19:57
Maybe I was being a bit sharp but the cops have a shit job at the best of times and some of the slagging off on this website is completely unwarranted. Suppose the guy on the bike had bowled over one of your family crossing the road or had thieved some of their property, you might have have a rather different view!

Rant over, I'm not as pissed off as I sound. Having done a runner once in my career and scared myself silly (it will never happen again), I don't have a problem with holding a position on this:done:

Fair deal....as you know I defend the cops.......but may sound controversial but the risks is not just to the guy doing the runner and to be honest, whatever they did, the risk of the rider / pilion does not equal the offence, be it speeding, burglary etc.........if a close friend of mine, my Daughter had been bowled over I would be more interested in how they are than retribution..........

Grahameeboy
28th March 2007, 19:59
:rofl: Takes me back to the times of JSG on his ZZR..........

Fond memory's................JSG RIP...Ride in Popular!!

sunhuntin
28th March 2007, 20:39
they chose to run...i just hope no innocents get taken out in the process.

jtzzr
28th March 2007, 20:43
[Quote [blackbird]

. Having done a runner once in my career and scared myself silly (it will never happen again),
I know you did a runner too Geoff ,because you told me so and I have no reason to doubt you ( bloody boy racer ). Anyways if you`re gonna do a runner (as much as I love zzr`s) I think a 250 two-up is not a great idea , anywho did the plod get the guy?

nudemetalz
28th March 2007, 21:07
No idea, as they were both tearing down the hill.
The bike was definitely pulling a lot of revs as it went past. Ah well, let's hope no accidents happened.

Grahameeboy
28th March 2007, 21:11

The Police chose to chase.........no chase, no run, no innocent's at risk......

skelstar
28th March 2007, 21:20
I wonder if half the people that condemn the cops on this thread/site probably wouldn't have before they signed up for this forum (apart from the obvious reason).

Steam
28th March 2007, 21:22
I say always chase.
It's the same as not negotiating with terrorists. The fuzz should chase 'em, ram 'em, kill 'em, and in future other people won't run.
Oh, that strategy didn't really work with the terrorists either...
Oh well, so much for that genius idea.

Grub
28th March 2007, 21:25

Uhhh ... hello??

The "innocents" may have already been hurt ... but I suppose that's a bit of a stretch for you? What if these two had ..
- robbed someone
- bashed someone
- stolen that bike (and it happens to be yours)

The cops didn't decide to chase someone for no reason. Have you ever heard a pursuit and the justification and running commentary they have to make? Do you know how often hey want to abandon the chase but that would mean bad guys getting away and a victim left without a result?

Jeez this closed-mind stuff really gets my wick. If Blackbird says he's sounding more pissed than he is ... then take note that I am WAY more pissed than I sound

Ixion
28th March 2007, 21:33
did no-one notice ?

"when what looks like a ZZR-250 2-up"

I've an open mind on people doing runners. But doing a runner with a pillion is another matter. It's not just your own life you're risking then.

Personally, if I was a cop and someone did a runner on me no way would I let them go. I'd pull out everything I had to catch and stop them. And then throw the book at them. Not just the book, the whole library, bookcases, bookends and all. Just cos I'm a bastard that way.

Madness
28th March 2007, 21:33
The rider chose to run, the pilion was probably not in a position to influence the situation and possibly just hanging on for dear life.

The Police are required by law to chase aren't they?. Police policy is that if conditions in the pursuit are likely to put anyone at risk the chase should immediately end. This never seems to happen. I put it down to "Red Mist" syndrome, seems the Plod suffer from it too. Even if the Plod do give up the chase, the bugger isn't going to continue at 50km/hr and follow the Road Code all the way home is he?. Once it's instigated by the runner, it's "Game on".

Lorax
28th March 2007, 21:44
whatever they did, the risk of the rider / pilion does not equal the offence, be it speeding, burglary etc.........

Speeding, burglary, whatever the initial offence was, it suddenly becomes less important than the direct decision to evade police, civil disobedience.

If you let people run, people know they can, therefore do it more often. It's like opening a can of worms if the cops back down in that situation.

And it is ABSOLUTELY the riders fault if they get injured. Running = risking injury (or worse) to yourself (and others) attempting to shirk responsibility for your own god-damn actions.

The cops didn't decide to chase someone for no reason. Have you ever heard a pursuit and the justification and running commentary they have to make? Do you know how often hey want to abandon the chase but that would mean bad guys getting away and a victim left without a result?

Jeez this closed-mind stuff really gets my wick. If Blackbird says he's sounding more pissed than he is ... then take note that I am WAY more pissed than I sound

Bang on. Bang bloody on.

roadracingoldfart
28th March 2007, 21:47
Lets just pause for a min here and ask ...... would we like the cops to chase some :angry: lowlife asshole that was seen on a STOLEN bike ??????
Naaaa couldnt be , its just a :innocent: biker being persecuted by the cops for riding a tiny bit fast aye !!!!
Yer your rite , let the :innocent: bike get away no matter what he did so then the cops cant get into more political trouble and they we can have a situation where the good old public can beat up on them again. :whocares:
No im a mechanic not a cop.
Cheers Paul.

nudemetalz
28th March 2007, 21:47
The 2-up thing (dickhead on the front seat putting his pillion's life at risk) and the fact that Newlands Road can be quite slippery after a light drizzle was a concern to me. The cop was fair hoofing it too.
Where do you draw the line?
However, I guess I wasn't in the cop's situation and as Grub says, they (the motorcyclists) could be dodgy criminals.

Grub
28th March 2007, 21:48
Police policy is that if conditions in the pursuit are likely to put anyone at risk the chase should immediately end. This never seems to happen. I put it down to "Red Mist" syndrome.

Not quite true Maximus. The Comms Inspector, Senior or Sergeant are not in the car and are not running on adrenaline. THEY call the pursuit and THEY command a discontinue when people are at risk. The following is read to the pursuing officer ...

"If at any time, any person or property is at risk of damage or injury, you are to abandon the pursuit immediately! Do you understand!"

If there is no response within seconds ...

"You are required to acknowledge, do you understand?"

Madness
28th March 2007, 21:58
Not quite true Maximus.

Yeh, I've listened to that dozens of times. The Comms operator spouts it off over & over verbatim, the Plod usually acknowledges this in the running commentary, blah blah blah.

In 10 years of listening to these things I've only heard of one get pulled by Comms, quite often the runner gets away but more often than not they get the buggers once they crash into a car/fence/bus-stop/house (or a combination of some/all).

Comms don't have control of a chase situation, they have the "ïndemnity disclaimer" that they rattle off but it's all up to the adrenalin charged expert in the Commodore at the end of the day.

Wenier
28th March 2007, 22:02
If it were a zzr250 2 up in those conditions it should be an easy catch for the cop really.

Kendog
28th March 2007, 22:05
If you let people run, people know they can, therefore do it more often. It's like opening a can of worms if the cops back down in that situation.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hunt the dick head down I say.

Grub
28th March 2007, 22:05
FairyNuff

more often than not they get the buggers once they crash into a car/fence/bus-stop/house.

Yeah cracker eh :sherlock:

Donor
28th March 2007, 22:47
If it were a zzr250 2 up in those conditions it should be an easy catch for the cop really.

My gods, that's hurtful!

...and perfectly true, you utter bastard...

more_fasterer
29th March 2007, 09:04

That's what I was thinking...

dasser
29th March 2007, 09:17
Was The ZZR green in colour ?
In the Hutt News, their was a article about some scum bag taking a ZZR-250 bike from the scene of an accident.
The scum bag was spotted going down Wellington road no helmet.

Accident happened on the Wainuiomata Hill road, One young biker now without bike.

Roadrash
29th March 2007, 09:27
Maybe before judging if the chase was inappropriate you should try and work out why they were chasing him, Just because you were driving down the road and saw the chase doesn't mean you know all the facts,
seems some people on this sight want to do is blame everything on the cops.
If they try and do something to prevent or catch a criminal they're gung ho,
If they don't they're lazy....

nudemetalz
29th March 2007, 09:40
Was The ZZR green in colour ?
In the Hutt News, their was a article about some scum bag taking a ZZR-250 bike from the scene of an accident.
The scum bag was spotted going down Wellington road no helmet.

Accident happened on the Wainuiomata Hill road, One young biker now without bike.

Hard to tell, as it was dark but from what I've heard, apparently they chased the bike UP Newlands Road first and we got them going back down about 5-10 minutes later.

davereid
29th March 2007, 09:52
Police Figures show 40% of chases result in an accident causing damage to either the police vehicle or the offenders vehicle. (They don't seem to record innocent bystanders).

See pg 7 of police report "pursuits the case for change" on the plods web site.

I personally don't give a toss if the guy running is killed. Trouble is, no stolen vehicle or speeding driver is worth the death of one of my family members.

I don't know what the solution is, but it seems crazy to risk doxens on innocent lives chasing a stolen car, when once its found abandoned the police don't even show up with a fingerprint kit.

Seems the high adeneline "buzz" police work like a car chase is very much preferred to boring old investigation work.

nudemetalz
29th March 2007, 10:05
Maybe before judging if the chase was inappropriate you should try and work out why they were chasing him, Just because you were driving down the road and saw the chase doesn't mean you know all the facts,
If they don't they're lazy....

When either of them (the bike or the cop car) loses control and hits our car (my wife was driving, therefore closest) then it becomes my business !!

Grahameeboy
29th March 2007, 15:05
Uhhh ... hello??

The "innocents" may have already been hurt ... but I suppose that's a bit of a stretch for you? What if these two had ..
- robbed someone
- bashed someone
- stolen that bike (and it happens to be yours)

Not closed mind, just different outlook.

I don't believe in the victim must have a result. Yes they are innocent, however, just don't think that in some case pursuits are worth the potential risk either to the guy doing the runner or perhaps other innocence.

Just don't believe in 'an eye for an eye'........doesn't change what happened.

If I got beaten up, I would be more interested in my wellbeing than I would be whether the offender gets caught................does catching the offender make me better...."No".

If my bike gets stolen, I would not be happy but I am insured.

If I get robbed, I am insured.

If I get beaten up I will get better and have good old ACC and Health Insurance to get me up and running again.

But each to their own and I am not critcising your view.

Grahameeboy
29th March 2007, 15:13

Not quite that simple. I am known for defending cops.

If they don't they're lazy

Only saying gung ho if the circumstances are risky. If they don't, they are not lazy, they are simply excercising 'descretion being better than valour'
It's just down to 'decisional balance'.

Swoop
29th March 2007, 15:22
The fuzz should chase 'em, ram 'em, kill 'em, and in future other people won't run.
Ramming someone on a bike is pretty fucking stupid.

Running with a pillion is also pretty damn stupid.

Steam
29th March 2007, 15:27
Ramming someone on a bike is pretty fucking stupid.
I know, if you refer to my original post you'll see it was sarcastic and I didn't mean it literally. See here...

It's the same as not negotiating with terrorists. The fuzz should chase 'em, ram 'em, kill 'em, and in future other people won't run.
Oh, that strategy didn't really work with the terrorists either...
Oh well, so much for that genius idea.

Swoop
29th March 2007, 15:37
I know, if you refer to my original post you'll see it was sarcastic and I didn't mean it literally. See here...
Don't even go there in jest.
Remember that we have a lot of guests who view this site and may get the wrong idea.

orange dog
29th March 2007, 21:33
To chase or not to chase, either way running with a pillion is just fkn stupid let alone trying to run 2-up on a bldy sewing machine.
We all put ourselves at risk occasionally, especially as bikers, but we have no right to put other people at unnecessary risk even if we are young and full of sht

Edbear
30th March 2007, 07:38
a lot of guests who view this site and may get the wrong idea.

About KB....?????:shit:

Swoop
30th March 2007, 11:10
About KB....?????:shit:
No, about ramming a motorcycle to bring it to a halt. (Surely OSH would have a coronary over that practice)
It's dangerous enough out there as it is...

marty
30th March 2007, 12:22
the whole thing started when a young guy hit a kid on the pedestrians x-ing at the bottom of newlands rd. he stopped, and was attending to the kid. 2 young kids watching saw his bike with the keys still in it, and jumped on it, taking off. just as they were doing this the cops arrived, so they gave chase, thinking it was the biker who had hit the kid.

bistard
30th March 2007, 12:33
So what was the outcome??
Was it the guy on the ZZRthat hit the child??
Did the police catch the little shits,that stole the bike??

Insanity_rules
30th March 2007, 12:34
the whole thing started when a young guy hit a kid on the pedestrians x-ing at the bottom of newlands rd. he stopped, and was attending to the kid. 2 young kids watching saw his bike with the keys still in it, and jumped on it, taking off. just as they were doing this the cops arrived, so they gave chase, thinking it was the biker who had hit the kid.

Whats with the young these days? OK sure I did some stupid shit in my time (isn't that right Maximus?) but these days teens take the cake.

Group bashings and Theft like this is just appaling

Lorax
30th March 2007, 19:15
Whats with the young these days? OK sure I did some stupid shit in my time (isn't that right Maximus?) but these days teens take the cake.

Group bashings and Theft like this is just appaling

Parenting. Parenting Parenting Parenting.

I'm a teacher, see it happening again and again. Trash raises trash. And it brakes your heart to see kids that haven't been taught respect, honesty and work ethics. They steal stuff, beat people up, wag, get kicked out of school, then eventually raise kids that'll do the same thing.

Sad thing is that when you get to know them they're good kids with bad behaviour. Sad.

And stealing motorbikes is not uncommon for these kids.

Patrick
30th March 2007, 23:40
Parenting. Parenting Parenting Parenting.

I'm a teacher, see it happening again and again. Trash raises trash. And it brakes your heart to see kids that haven't been taught respect, honesty and work ethics.

And spelling......

Colapop
31st March 2007, 08:15
Hey, I've got an idea... why don't we outlaw smacking and make it harder for parents to control their kids?

Or we could make teachers even more responsible for their upbringing and blame them when it all goes wrong..?

Hmmpfff rant over.

Patrick
31st March 2007, 11:55
Hey, I've got an idea... why don't we outlaw smacking and make it harder for parents to control their kids?

Or we could make teachers even more responsible for their upbringing and blame them when it all goes wrong..?

Hmmpfff rant over.

Loos like one out of two there young Cola... 50%... not bad, that is a pass mark...

scumdog
31st March 2007, 12:11

I wonder how many now think different to their first thoughts on 'why chase'........

kwaka750
2nd April 2007, 03:40
When I was young and very stupid, I did a runner on a bike, and only because I was speeding at the time. Now during the chase I had three cop cars attempt to hit my back wheel to knock me off, and there was no way in hell I was gonna slow down so they could keep trying to hit me, I went faster an faster till I got away, now I dont condone running from the police, but when they are determined to do stupid shit like try and ram a guy off a bike there has to be a limit drawn.