PDA

View Full Version : ANZAC Day adventure ... Canterbury

PLUG
29th March 2007, 21:13
Wed 25/4 :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: ONLY ... will post ya or na 23/4 ... rain day 5/5

Dawn Service (of sorts) ... assemble 7:45 for 8:00 service ... consisting of dipping ya tyres in the surf @ New Brighton Pier & heading inland ... the high country ... battleing numerious scree slops, hoisting the flag 2000+m up Mt ??? ...

then a pie & a pint @ the Hororata

can't tell ya what Mt ... other than to say it's gunna cost ya $20 to ride it & find out ...

nigelp
29th March 2007, 21:51
Lets hope that I have a new bike by then and I can come join you!:scooter:

far queue
29th March 2007, 22:04
Maybe :confused:

PLUG
29th March 2007, 22:07
Lets hope that I have a new bike by then and I can come join you!:scooter:

i know where you could hire one

Transalper
29th March 2007, 22:19
Wed 25/4 :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: ONLY...assemble 7:45 for 8:00 service ... consisting of dipping ya tyres in the surf @ New Brighton Pier & heading inland ...I'd be very surprised if i couldn't be there... maybe dip me boots, not sure about me tyres, or is that just a bit of setting the scene/you get the idea kinda thing? (there's a better way to describe what i'm thinking but it eludes me for now)

nigelp
30th March 2007, 06:57
i know where you could hire one

where and what were you thinking?

cooneyr
30th March 2007, 09:42
I'm keen but might have to miss the tyre dip and meet you in Yaldhurst or chase you up the plains and I have to bolt about 4pm as got already arranged place to be at 6pm.

Cheers R

RedKLR650
30th March 2007, 10:43
Wed 25/4 :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: ONLY ... will post ya or na 23/4 ... rain day 5/5
Dawn Service (of sorts) ... assemble 7:45 for 8:00 service ... consisting of dipping ya tyres in the surf @ New Brighton Pier & heading inland ... the high country ... battleing numerious scree slops, hoisting the flag 2000+m up Mt ??? ...
then a pie & a pint @ the Hororata
can't tell ya what Mt ... other than to say it's gunna cost ya $20 to ride it & find out ...

sorry team,

Would love to be there, but at 7.45 am on ANZAC day a friend on an Africa twin, and myself on the trusty KLR should have already be on the way from Tauranga ( that nights stop ) to East Cape in the middle of the Southern Cross Rally ( 4841km approx going the route we've chosen..... )

All the best, and wish I was there. Maybe next time.....

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

timg
31st March 2007, 08:02
sorry team,

Would love to be there, but at 7.45 am on ANZAC day a friend on an Africa twin, and myself on the trusty KLR should have already be on the way from Tauranga ( that nights stop ) to East Cape in the middle of the Southern Cross Rally ( 4841km approx going the route we've chosen..... )

All the best, and wish I was there. Maybe next time.....

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

Hey Stu, you & Gary have a great time and an awesome ride. :Punk: Cheers.

timg
31st March 2007, 08:19

[ ... battleing numerious scree slops, hoisting the flag 2000+m up Mt ??? ...

Scree slopes! :gob: Wot you setting us up for Plug?! I'd be a starter if its suitable for me & my bike. (I was on the red Transalp on the Waitangi Wanderings ride - got another 3000km on it since then :)) Probably look at catching up with you folks on the ride out rather than going all the way in to Brighton tho. Cheers.

Skinny_Birdman
1st April 2007, 12:46
Sounds like a good antidote for my jury duty that week.... If I'm not locked up in a hotel! Count me provisionally in for everything except riding in salt water. PLUG might be in there by himself. :rockon:

PLUG
2nd April 2007, 22:54
Scree slopes! :gob: Wot you setting us up for Plug?! I'd be a starter if its suitable for me & my bike. Cheers.

It's perfect for you & your ride ... very much the same sort of country as we rode Waitangi day, with a gnarley climb up a couple of scree slopes if you want to get to the top of Mt --- ...

The idea behind the ride for me, is to go from sea level (dipping the tyres in the surf) to as high up Mt --- as I can get ... if I manage to get to the top, all the better ... if I don't, I had fun trying ... it's not a given that anyone will get to the top, suspect the Dakar may be a bit big/heavy & my skills a bit light, but if I can keep the momentum up, who knows ... thats the challenging part of this ride for me ...

From what I can gather it's a reasonable ride up to about the 1600m mark. The last 400m of elevation is where the fun begins & goes up another notch form the 1800m mark.

There are other track & trails that we will be hunting while we are in there, so don't feel you have to have a go ... besides, well rested riders will be helpful to rescue the Dakar ...

mattsdakar
3rd April 2007, 12:52
Hey Pete,
Now that I'm back mobile, I'll try and get a half day off work to join in the heroics
Rgds Matt

cooneyr
3rd April 2007, 13:25
Hey Pete,
Now that I'm back mobile, I'll try and get a half day off work to join in the heroics
Rgds Matt

Well done on the wheels :rockon: Just don't break it this time ya hero.

Cheers

mattsdakar
4th April 2007, 12:03
Well done on the wheels :rockon: Just don't break it this time ya hero.

Cheers

Here's hoping!!!
I'm a starter for Wednesday, due to start work at 3pm but are trying for a later start

timg
4th April 2007, 19:07
... besides, well rested riders will be helpful to rescue the Dakar ... You're kidding right? After getting to the top by shank's pony we'll be knackerd. The Dakar might stay 'stuck' :dodge: :yes:

alfonz
4th April 2007, 23:08
:yes: hi neighbour good to see you wanting to hit the trails again remember you are living on the edge not going over it :bye:

alfonz
4th April 2007, 23:13
hi pete sounds like me will try to make it finish work at 8am that morning so will head to pier and catch up will make sure i have good tryes on if you know what it mean.

RedKLR650
5th April 2007, 08:20
Hi team, you may just want to double check re access as in yesterdays Timaru Herald, there was a news item stating that DOC had closed all mid and south canterbury high country access ( including around Lake Heron where we went on Waitangi day ) due to fire risk :gob: , and roads would be padlocked with only resident landowners having access. :angry: Just a thought in case you intend to ride any DOC roads or access ways. May not effect you, but better to give them a ring now..... :sunny:
Best of Luck, Stu :scooter:

NordieBoy
5th April 2007, 08:36
hi pete sounds like me will try to make it finish work at 8am that morning so will head to pier and catch up will make sure i have good tryes on if you know what it mean.

Don't worry about the tyre, just put a mousse in there :D

Did you find the problem?

PLUG
5th April 2007, 18:42
DOC had closed all mid and south canterbury high country access ( including around Lake Heron where we went on Waitangi day ) due to fire risk :gob: , and roads would be padlocked with only resident landowners having access. :angry: Just a thought in case you intend to ride any DOC roads or access ways. May not effect you, but better to give them a ring now..... :sunny:
Best of Luck, Stu :scooter:

a by product of tenure review i suppose ... BASTARDS ... not affecting us though ... cheers Stu

pevs
5th April 2007, 20:22
Hiya Plug
Do ya reckon this ride is OK on an older 250 trailie? Don't wanna hold you lot up on the open road!!

PLUG
5th April 2007, 20:26
Hiya Plug
Do ya reckon this ride is OK on an older 250 trailie? Don't wanna hold you lot up on the open road!!

attitude is the only thing that counts ... may be you need to dip your tyres a bit earlier ... pm me

cooneyr
5th April 2007, 20:53
Hiya Plug

Ya cant be much slower than Skinny_Birdman on his TTR250! The stiff head wind comming along the canterbury plains probably didnt help though.

Cheers R

pevs
5th April 2007, 21:08
Ya cant be much slower than Skinny_Birdman on his TTR250! The stiff head wind comming along the canterbury plains probably didnt help though.

Cheers R
Well then.. pencil me in as a definate maybe!!

Skinny_Birdman
10th April 2007, 08:31

Cheers R

I'll take that hit, 'cos we all know little bikes are quicker in the rough stuff :yes:

Incidentally, I'm not sure that it is fair to blame tenure review for closing off high country land due to the fire risk..... Tenure review obviously has its problems, but I'm not sure this is one of them. Would we rather that this land went into private hands and was closed off permanently? Now that may be a problem!

Skinny_Birdman
10th April 2007, 15:10
Just read about cooneyr's off in the Rainbow. Get well soon moto-brother!!:doh:

426crasher
10th April 2007, 20:35
Hi there
Very keen to tag onto this ride,sounds good.Similar problem as pevs on his 250 my WR lacks the road legs of the dakars etc but would be more than happy to buddy up with pevs if he is going. I got a tank range of about 160/180 kms.Whats the fuel situation going to be like plug.

PLUG
11th April 2007, 08:04
Springfield gas station will be open on the way up, so for bikes with limited fuel range this is the place to get some extra. The route is in & out on the same road so all this can be dumped so as you don't have to carry it all day. The Hororata gas station will be shutting @ 5:30, so we just need to make sure we are there no later than that. Suspect the distance between the fuel stops will be 200-250K, so MAKE SURE you can cover this distance with a bit up your sleeve.

pevs
11th April 2007, 20:18
Hi there
Very keen to tag onto this ride,sounds good.Similar problem as pevs on his 250 my WR lacks the road legs of the dakars etc but would be more than happy to buddy up with pevs if he is going. I got a tank range of about 160/180 kms.Whats the fuel situation going to be like plug.
Hiya 426Crasher..
The only fly in the ointment for me right now is fuel..
Springfield (last gas stop) to the tip of Lake Colderidge is roughly 35k..
If I dump me fuel there I have about 100k's to play with.. Is this enough Plug? Not sure how far we're going! Topping up with dropped fuel should get me the 50ish k's to Hororata ok.

PLUG
11th April 2007, 21:09
plan for 250k + a bit for margin & you'll be sweet ... unless you like long walks ...

far queue
11th April 2007, 21:18
plan for 250k + a bit for margin & you'll be sweet ... unless you like long walks ...I'm out. Small tank = short range + I can't be can't shagged carrying extra fuel and wondering if I've got enough. Have a fun day guys, I might go for a play at the Waimak.

426crasher
11th April 2007, 22:23
I have 2 petrol cans one holds 5 litres the other holds 11 litres. I recon the 11 litre can would be enough for both me and pevs if we share it the only problem is that it's heavy when full but if it's the difference between going or not then we just gotta find a way of carrying it.Hey plug,Springfield to fuel drop off is mainly gravel road right?Just thinking how to strap it down so it don't shake off.Got a rack on that 250 pevs? Send me a PM pevs if you need natter longer about it.Oh i got me a smaller rear sprocket to give me a little more road speed.

Transalper
12th April 2007, 08:01
I'm out. Small tank = short range + I can't be can't shagged carrying extra fuel and wondering if I've got enough. Have a fun day guys, I might go for a play at the Waimak.Ooo come on FQ, haven't seen you dusty for ages, it'll be like going in to lake Sumner. You know you get 200km to empty on about 12 litres in your tank, so just pack another 4 or 5 litres from Springfield to a safe hiding place and there be no wondering.
Come on, i know you can do it, we've seen you do it before.

Oh well, whatever.:whocares:

NordieBoy
12th April 2007, 09:23
Ooo come on FQ, haven't seen you dusty for ages, it'll be like going in to lake Sumner. You know you get 200km to empty on about 12 litres in your tank, so just pack another 4 or 5 litres from Springfield to a safe hiding place and there be no wondering.

Oh well, whatever.:whocares:

Subtle, isn't he :D

PLUG
12th April 2007, 12:15
I have 2 petrol cans one holds 5 litres the other holds 11 litres. I recon the 11 litre can would be enough for both me and pevs if we share it the only problem is that it's heavy when full but if it's the difference between going or not then we just gotta find a way of carrying it.Hey plug,Springfield to fuel drop off is mainly gravel road right?Just thinking how to strap it down so it don't shake off.Got a rack on that 250 pevs? Send me a PM pevs if you need natter longer about it.Oh i got me a smaller rear sprocket to give me a little more road speed.

Yep it's mostly gravel, but there is an optional challenge section up the guts of Porters Pass instead of the road. There is a picnic area on the right heading towards the W/C at the bottom of Porters. This give access to what I suspect would have been the orginal road, which is now a track that 4WD's & bikes can use.

Skinny_Birdman
13th April 2007, 08:34

As per normal I will carry 8 or 9 litres, which leaves a small margin if anyone else runs short :Oops: . If you have a decent pack the weight is not too intrusive.

cooneyr
13th April 2007, 13:46
For obvious reasons I wont be joining you guys. I'm jelous a hell though as this is a trip that P and I have talked about since last year. Make sure you take some good picies/video so I can torture myself even more.

Cheers R

PLUG
13th April 2007, 18:38
For obvious reasons I wont be joining you guys. I'm jelous a hell though as this is a trip that P and I have talked about since last year. Make sure you take some good picies/video so I can torture myself even more.

Cheers R

Aeee CR ... nice being back in ya own bed ...

pevs
13th April 2007, 19:09
All looks good for me to join the happy band for ANZAC day..
I think i've got the fuel thing sorted.. only a slight fire risk..
The only doubt now is whether the old bike can drag my lardy arse all the way there and back.. bless it.
Good to see cooneyr posting again.. although i'm still a wee bit surprised he described his injuries before the bikes!! I jest.. get well soon R. Do ya need a sticker to brighten up your brace??

PLUG
13th April 2007, 19:36
suspect snow will now block our way ... but we should be able to get past the mile high mark ... personally i'd rather join the other mile high club ... but this one will do for starters ...

layers of clothes is the key to keeping the chill out ... water proof could also be of benefit ... be prepaired as best as you can, for what ever enviroment/machanical may throw at you ... the adventure begins when things stop going to plan ... there is no plan, only options ...

cooneyr
13th April 2007, 20:39
.. get well soon R. Do ya need a sticker to brighten up your brace??

Thanks for the offer but its OK. Just bring back some good pics of the trip! :done:

Not sure how long the snow will last. I spend 4 years in the Canty Uni tramping club (and still watch the hills now) and can tell you almost every year it snows at easter then most dumps melts till mid to late June when it starts to settle proper. Every year we though was going to be a good one with lots of snow then it would melt. If no more dumps between now and then you may yet get to the top.

Cheers R

far queue
14th April 2007, 18:02
Ooo come on FQ, haven't seen you dusty for ages, it'll be like going in to lake Sumner. You know you get 200km to empty on about 12 litres in your tank, so just pack another 4 or 5 litres from Springfield to a safe hiding place and there be no wondering.

Oh well, whatever.:whocares:It's not a matter whether I can achieve it or not, it's not that a big a problem, it's more a matter of I can't be bothered. I've got my ANZAC day sorted now. I'm going on the St Johns Ambo Charity ride out to Cust and then I'll return via the Eyre River and Waimak :done:

Transalper
14th April 2007, 18:17
...I'm going on the St Johns Ambo Charity ride out to Cust and then I'll return via the Eyre River and Waimak :done:
Have a good one then, I forgot about that ride, done a fair few of them.

J's DR goes 192km to reserve and 250km to dry. I wonder if it will ice up the carb this winter.

mattsdakar
16th April 2007, 15:13
suspect snow will now block our way ... but we should be able to get past the mile high mark ... personally i'd rather join the other mile high club ... but this one will do for starters ...

layers of clothes is the key to keeping the chill out ... water proof could also be of benefit ... be prepaired as best as you can, for what ever enviroment/machanical may throw at you ... the adventure begins when things stop going to plan ... there is no plan, only options ...

Where the hell are ya taking us plug???

NordieBoy
16th April 2007, 19:01

You really want to know?

The hints are all there...
Warm gear
Lotsa petrol
>1 mile up
KY
"Dip your tyre"

:buggerd:

cooneyr
16th April 2007, 19:19

OOOOOHHHHH I know I know :shutup:

R

426crasher
16th April 2007, 21:49
Looks like i got my extra fuel problem sorted,knocked up a small rack(of sorts!!) to hold a 5 litre can,it's a bit crappy but hopefully it will last the distance.Will still want to drop it of on route as it sits on the seat right behind the arse.Taller gearing works ok so road speed is up a little.

PLUG
18th April 2007, 21:07
land access re confirmed ... it's all go ... fingers crossed for the weather

timg & anyone coming from the south ... meet you at the Harper Rd turn off 11:15-11:30 ... this is the Rd that heads up the north side of Lake Coleridge

anyone not starting the ride by dipping ya tyres in the sea ... the meeting point is the corner of Old Westcoast Rd & Hiway 73 @ 8:30 ... we are heading up Old Westcoast Rd

mattsdakar
19th April 2007, 06:16
As discussed Pete, I've printed off 5 A3 topography maps of the area that I'll bring along for those that are interested, shows a couple of other nearby trails if we get time for a bit of a play

Matt

Skinny_Birdman
19th April 2007, 08:00
It appears that I will now be accompanied by a learner rider, and I will be re-living my F650 days with a loaner Funduro. Cos said learner is a law abiding (70km/h :bye: )citizen, it would be better if we met you guys at Springfield, so as not to get left behind. What time do you reckon you will be there?

PLUG
19th April 2007, 12:34
It appears that I will now be accompanied by a learner rider

This is not a suitable ride for a learner ... bring 'em if you must ... all your care ... 10 @ Springfield ...

Paul in NZ
19th April 2007, 13:38
Anyone else see the irony in celebrating ANZAC day by doing a trail ride on German and Japanese machines?

:innocent:

NordieBoy
19th April 2007, 17:33
Anyone else see the irony in celebrating ANZAC day by doing a trail ride on German and Japanese machines?

You ride the bike.
You are the master.
You are in control.

Unless of course the bike spits you off and runs you over...

Paul in NZ
19th April 2007, 17:58
You ride the bike.
You are the master.
You are in control.

Unless of course the bike spits you off and runs you over...

apparently not?? :innocent:

PLUG
19th April 2007, 19:53
timg & anyone coming from the south ... meet you at the Harper Rd turn off 11:15-11:30 ... this is the Rd that heads up the north side of Lake Coleridge

this will be the fuel/gear dump site

PLUG
19th April 2007, 20:05

this mans a thinker ... possiblie, with too much time on his hands ...

pitty none of the Allied nations can make a bike like the jew burners & kamakazie kids ... makes ya wonder WHO really won

timg
21st April 2007, 19:50
Long range forcast looks promising. Southerly coming thru on Tuesday, clearing Wednesday :sunny: almost. I'll be at New Brighton if I get outa bed early enough - would like to do the whole thing, otherwise see you folks at L Coleridge. Pete, please PM me your cellph for contact. Cheers.

land access re confirmed ... it's all go ... fingers crossed for the weather

anyone not starting the ride by dipping ya tyres in the sea ... the meeting point is the corner of Old Westcoast Rd & Hiway 73 @ 8:30 ... we are heading up Old Westcoast Rd

mickeyboy
22nd April 2007, 09:45
Hey Plug man , is ride ok for mickey on the ktm 950 ? i'm only running the scorpions not full knobs ?

Mick

PLUG
22nd April 2007, 20:12
Hey Plug man , is ride ok for mickey on the ktm 950 ? i'm only running the scorpions not full knobs ?

Mick

where you been hiding mickyboy ... you'll be sweet for 90%+ of it ... don't forget your $20

pevs & i had a bit of a dry run today ... the guts of Porters Pass is knobs only ... so we'll see you at the top ... along with anyone else running with out decent block pattern tyres

alfonz
23rd April 2007, 06:04
:blank: hey pete did you have a go at the track up the side of porters have to get trye for my bike have been trying to get a dunlop d 606 by are like hens teeth to get anywhere got any surgestions want to try something different from tkc 80 cheers alf

PLUG
23rd April 2007, 08:09
:blank: hey pete did you have a go at the track up the side of porters have to get trye for my bike have been trying to get a dunlop d 606 by are like hens teeth to get anywhere got any surgestions want to try something different from tkc 80 cheers alf

bit late for that Alf ... grab what you can get in the way of a block pattern knobbly ... no big deal if you can't, you'll just have to ride the road to the top ... the track ain't going anywhere so it can be ridden at a later date

cooneyr
23rd April 2007, 11:35
Just been lookingat the WX maps for Wed. Looks like should be fine with a nor wester. I'd guess cloud building up about the western tops in the arvo and a little chilly up high all day.

If it is a rear you are after Alf (I'm guessing it is) give me a bell. I've got a rear D606 with about 600kms (good condition still) on it sitting in the shed you could buy.

Have a good one guys.

Cheers R

Lugzy23
23rd April 2007, 17:08
How is it, spoke to one of you guys the other day about comming on the ride, tryed to e-mail him but got no reply, so am guessing it didnt work. Is it sweet for new guys to tag along? This is my first post so not too sure how this all works, am keen to get into a bit more adventure riding, cause it a bit boring with mates who have AG 100's. Can I just meet you at the west coast road meeting point? Any special gear apart from tools that I need? KLR should be sweet for gas as Ive got 23 litres to play with. Currently running a trail wing on the back, and still got the stock dunlop on the front, will they be alright? Thanks for the help

NordieBoy
23rd April 2007, 17:45
AG100's boring?

Transalper
23rd April 2007, 19:58
AG100's boring?mmm... Nordie, where did that come from...what relevance to the ANZAC day ride does it have?
Did you post in the wrong thread?

ps. those lotto numbers from your "newby post" thread were faulty

Transalper
23rd April 2007, 20:11
How is it, spoke to one of you guys the other day about comming on the ride, tryed to e-mail him but got no reply.....Hi, glad to see you here.... outside Pitlane was me, never got ya email so was starting to think ya weren't as interested as ya sounded.
Must have been a typo in the email address.

Bring ya lunch, everything else sounds sweet.
See ya there.:rockon:

PLUG
23rd April 2007, 20:19
land permission ... check
weather forecast ... :sunny:
lets do it

general plan for the day ... 7:45 meet @ the Pier New Brighton, dip ya tyres & off ...
hook up with those waiting @ Hiway 73 & Old Westcoast Rd 8:30 ... be ready to roll as we won't be stopping ... on up Old Westcoast Rd to Intake Rd ... hang a right there & up the track by the Waimac to the gorge bridge ... hall outa there & next stop Springfield

time to meet & greet, gas up, grab some grub & pay ya $20 ... on on ... those with knobs on their tyres have the option of a challenge section up the guts of Porters Pass ... otherwise it's the road ... hang a left at Lake Lyndon & on to the Harper Rd turn off ... now we're almost there

spend whats left of the day on the otherside of locked gate riding Mt ... & having a good poke around the area ...

NEED to be back at Hororata before 5pm/the gas station shuts ... pie & a pint @ the pub ... then mozy on home ...

Lugzy23
23rd April 2007, 20:21
Yeah ta for that.
Have spoken to Plug and now know what the go is, sounds really good. Sorry I must have stuffed up the e-mail address, but managed to get through so all is well. Will meet you at Westcoast turn off.

Cheers

NordieBoy
23rd April 2007, 21:37
mmm... Nordie, where did that come from...what relevance to the ANZAC day ride does it have?
The post previous to mine :D

ps. those lotto numbers from your "newby post" thread were faulty

Yeah, I checked and it looks like they were last weeks numbers.
Damn precognition is playing up again.

Transalper
23rd April 2007, 23:08
The post previous to mine :D..
Ahh.. right you are... might have to go clean my glasses.

alfonz
24th April 2007, 02:44
hi pete got the rear sorted d 606 from cycle treads must have looked in the wrong place when i askes two weeks ago its on the bike and ready to go :scooter: will be at peir at 8 to make start so will catch up if you guys have left thank R for the offer of trye

PLUG
24th April 2007, 08:56
:scooter: will be at peir at 8 to make start so will catch up if you guys have left

aeee alf ... will wait for you ... 8:05 then outa there

Transalper
25th April 2007, 18:37
Well that was a big day, big turn out, lots a adventurers i'd not met before.
Well done everyone, thanks to Plug for setting us up and to everyone who helped me pick the DR up... I think everyone dropped their bikes today at some point, some more than others. Timg impressed the heck out of me taking the shiny red Transalp all the way and i think he fell over less than i did.
I was relieved to get off the mountains and back on normal gravel.
I ran out of tape about half way thru the day, so am about to sit down to tea and have a look at what i got.

fireliv
25th April 2007, 18:50
Bugger!! Havent been on KB for a while, and just found this post!!! I'm sure PhoenixGTR at least would have come, and I might have come for some of it...oh well next time! Insted took the push bikes for a ride in the morning, and the motorised ones in the afternoon...

timg
25th April 2007, 20:22
Thanks Plug for a great day out. Well organised, great fun & company.

timg
25th April 2007, 20:26
More adventuring

timg
25th April 2007, 20:29
We knocked the bastard off! :Punk:

XF650
25th April 2007, 21:01
Congratulations you guys - looks to have been an awesome day.
And fantastic pics Tim - you did well to get the Transalp up there & home again.

PLUG
25th April 2007, 21:06
nice pic's tim ... love that one looking down the valley with 3 bikes coming up ...

merv
25th April 2007, 21:13
Good on ya guys - keep them dirt bikes humming.

NordieBoy
25th April 2007, 21:25
Nice shots, nice ride.

Now you've had some practice you can all come up and do the Dusty Butt next time :D

Ohhhh....
BMW X-Country :drool:

timg
25th April 2007, 21:56
Ohhhh....
BMW X-Country :drool:

I know nuffink I saw nuffink :shutup:

cooneyr
25th April 2007, 22:43
Tell me more! Did you get to the top of anything? Looks like an awsome ride. I'm seriously jelous and pissed that I missed it.

Seriously into the picture of the three bikes crossing the scree slope. Is that the track up to Olympus Skifield?

Bring on the vid TA.

Cheers R

Aslan
25th April 2007, 23:22
you guys obviously had fun - I salute you all - specially those of you with Dakars (I had one, great bike but like my 1150 very heavy) - those trails look gnarly - specially where the XChallenge decided it was time for a lie down - is it a demonstrator? :dodge: Cheers Aslan

PLUG
26th April 2007, 08:21
Tell me more! Did you get to the top of anything?

Seriously into the picture of the three bikes crossing the scree slope. Is that the track up to Olympus Skifield?

Bring on the vid TA.

Cheers R

the flag photo was at the Mt Olympus ski field ... 1634m according to Bob's whosie whatsit ... we are now all members of the alturnative mile high club ...
yep thats the track up to the skifield ... ugly view ... not

Aslan ... yep demo Xcountry from Canterbury Rides, our local Beemer/Yamaha dealer ... had a snot on it ... a very planted bike, plenty of feed back from both the front & back ... ficken tall though, need a flexable groin throwin ya leg over this baby ...

Paul in NZ
26th April 2007, 08:30
I'm actually really impressed...... That looks very very cool...

NordieBoy
26th April 2007, 08:35
I know nuffink I saw nuffink :shutup:

Those are the type of downhills that put the shits up me.

One advantage of my XR250 over the DR650 is I can almost get both knees on the ground at the same time.
Shocks may be due for a rebuild - It has been 28 years since the last time they were done.

mickeyboy
26th April 2007, 10:47
Plug, Sorry i missed your day man, got held up in dunedin on business, sounds like the boys had a great day out. Good work on organising the trip.

Regards Mick

Transalper
26th April 2007, 14:09
For those of us with rock holes in their engine side covers (you know who you are) a guy at work who has had a few fixed recogmends a place (just in case you dont already have a place in mind) called Austins Alluminium Welding... on Gasson Street.

cooneyr
26th April 2007, 15:33
For those of us with rock holes in their engine side covers (you know who you are) a guy at work who has had a few fixed recogmends a place (just in case you dont already have a place in mind) called Austins Alluminium Welding... on Gasson Street.

Am listening, do tell??? :innocent:

Cheers R

PLUG
26th April 2007, 16:37
twaz me ... thats what happens when ya play in a rock garden ... first aid kit & a bit of common sence provided a fix to get me home ... only a little bit of the dirtydakars blood was spilt

cooneyr
26th April 2007, 17:33
twaz me ... thats what happens when ya play in a rock garden ... first aid kit & a bit of common sence provided a fix to get me home ... only a little bit of the dirtydakars blood was spilt

Adds to the adventure aye! Good luck getting fixed.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
26th April 2007, 19:47

Battle scars.
Get them to weld it up to look like stitches :D

timg
26th April 2007, 21:56
Thanx TA. I'm slowly getting the hang of my bike, even if I am slooow. It's a big step up from the previous wee/light bike's I've had. The road biased tyres the bike came with don't help. Hopefully with more agressive tyres I'll feel a bit more comfortable. The back tyre is pretty well cut out now after 4600 km's so I think I'll try some of those Mitas tyres you and Old Rider seem so happy with. And there's a set of crash bars on the way to protect all that shiny red plastic! Cheers. :scooter:

Well that was a big day, big turn out, lots a adventurers i'd not met before.
Well done everyone, thanks to Plug for setting us up and to everyone who helped me pick the DR up... I think everyone dropped their bikes today at some point, some more than others. Timg impressed the heck out of me taking the shiny red Transalp all the way and i think he fell over less than i did.
I was relieved to get off the mountains and back on normal gravel.
I ran out of tape about half way thru the day, so am about to sit down to tea and have a look at what i got.

Aslan
27th April 2007, 10:41
the flag photo was at the Mt Olympus ski field ... 1634m according to Bob's whosie whatsit ... we are now all members of the alturnative mile high club ...
yep thats the track up to the skifield ... ugly view ... not

Aslan ... yep demo Xcountry from Canterbury Rides, our local Beemer/Yamaha dealer ... had a snot on it ... a very planted bike, plenty of feed back from both the front & back ... ficken tall though, need a flexable groin throwin ya leg over this baby ...

Well done Plug and pals - I like to ski at Broken River whenever I can so am somewhat familiar with the Cantab attitude - gutsy - down to earth - Cheers guys - keep it up Aslan :rockon:

pevs
27th April 2007, 20:15
I've had an attempt at making a web site of pictures from the trip..
ANZACADV (http://www.anzacadv.bravehost.com/index.htm)
You'll have to put up with the ads and pop-ups.. right.. back to nursing me bumps and bruises!

nigelp
27th April 2007, 20:31
ANZACADV (http://www.anzacadv.741.com/index.htm)
You'll have to put up with the ads and pop-ups.. right.. back to nursing me bumps and bruises!

Hey, your link doesnt work.....it times out

pevs
27th April 2007, 20:38
Weird.. works for me.. and the counters clicked a few times too.. so others have got there..
http://www.anzacadv.bravehost.com/index.htm
Try that..

Aslan
27th April 2007, 21:51
ANZACADV (http://www.anzacadv.741.com/index.htm)

Great site Pevs - I'm envious of the ride you guys had - Cheers S :rockon:

Transalper
28th April 2007, 10:36

I think you have to go there when the server isn't busy, i got time outs last night but this morning works ok.

426crasher
28th April 2007, 12:33
A fab day was had by all.Bummer with Pete and the clutch case,is there anywhere he wont try to take the dakar!!? Never thought i'd say it but was well impressed with the x650 beemer,bloody tall in the seat though.With the sun god on our side don't think i would have wished to be somewhere else.First time i have been out with a small group of riders and won't be last.Roll on the next ride.

pevs
28th April 2007, 12:42
OK.. the website thingy is now parked elsewhere..http://www.anzacadv.bravehost.com/index.htm
Hopefully with better results.. less ads etc
If it's ok with you lot i'll keep stealing pics from here and adding them.. or just pm them to me... if someone wants to string together some text I can plop that on there too.

Transalper
28th April 2007, 12:51
OK.. the website thingy is now parked elsewhere......Hopefully with better results.. less ads etc....
Good one, that's much better, much quicker to load too, thanks.

now i must stop browsing and get back to the videos:brick:

warewolf
28th April 2007, 20:09
AH, good stuff fellahs! Ya making me jealous (again).

Gonna have to get me some riding in Cantab country, methinks.

Transalper
28th April 2007, 22:24
Here's something to give you a taste of video...
It's the first real challenge of the day and the first spills of the day.
Not all of us did it... me included, i took the main road to the top and got the camera out.
See the demo BMW made light work of the hill.
Vd8A1R9sn1c

SDU
29th April 2007, 12:31
Good pics & Vid guys. Great you all had an awesome day out!:rockon:

PLUG
29th April 2007, 15:54
12 brave men gave up their freedom to ride ...
so we could dip our tyres & ride to a mile high

rivers of blood & fields of bones ...
these sons were never to return home

from hopelessness sprung hope, in natures form ...
red poppies grew forth, to shine a new dawn

as time marchers by, a strengthening of tie, to the sacrifice our brothers made ...
when they choose to give up their rite to ride

we will remember them ...

NordieBoy
29th April 2007, 18:13
We will remember them...
Plug, Transalper, thingy, the other one, the short one (no the other short one), wossisname...

Sniff...
Plug, that was beeutefull mate.

Hang on.
If you didn't get home then where are you posting from?

Skinny_Birdman
30th April 2007, 09:59
Cheers Plug for the wicked ride, something for everyone I reckon. Thanks to everyone else as well, these rides are just getting better and better.
Oh and TA, ta for not filming my 'off' on the Porter's Pass coach road. There is already quite enough footage of my bikes on their sides on youtube. :third:

Transalper
30th April 2007, 10:38
We are busy gearing up for a video evening soon so stay tuned

cooneyr
30th April 2007, 19:31

Yay :Punk: something I can participate in.

Cheers R

426crasher
30th April 2007, 21:02
Checked out the video of the porters pass track,what a sad effort i made getting the wr up.Taken the stupid road gearing off and went back for a spin there today.Got up no problem to the delight of a bus load of jap tourists.LOL.Video night sounds good.A few more pics that i took.

426crasher
30th April 2007, 21:06
And a few more.

Aslan
30th April 2007, 22:10
thanks to you all for your posts about the excellent ride you had on Anzac Day makes me envious I don't live in the South Island.

Cheers Aslan :scooter:

cooneyr
1st May 2007, 07:41
Checked out the video of the porters pass track,what a sad effort i made getting the wr up.Taken the stupid road gearing off and went back for a spin there today.Got up no problem to the delight of a bus load of jap tourists.LOL.Video night sounds good.A few more pics that i took.

Hope you sold a copy of the BMW pic to canty rides before posting it on a public forum. Surely they would love a pic like that for marketing purposes. Awsome work.

Cheers R

426crasher
1st May 2007, 21:05
Sure is a good shot of the new beemer,but from memory i think Rodney took it with my camera.Since he let me have a spin on 17k's worth of new beemer,bit second hand now like,i recon it's a fair exchange!!

PLUG
1st May 2007, 21:18
new beemer,bit second hand now

back tyre certainly was :D ...

426crasher
1st May 2007, 21:21
Some more pics for Paul to add to the "official" anzac day website.

426crasher
1st May 2007, 21:26
And a few more

pevs
1st May 2007, 22:55
Cheers Tony.. consider them "acquired".. UPDATED:done:

mattsdakar
3rd May 2007, 09:48

Pete has asked me if we can have a video night at my place later this month which is fine, will keep you guys posted on date.
Ryan are you able to drive or will you need a ride?

Matt

cooneyr
3rd May 2007, 13:50
Pete has asked me if we can have a video night at my place later this month which is fine, will keep you guys posted on date.
Ryan are you able to drive or will you need a ride?

Matt

Thanks for the offer Matt but I'm sure the boss wont mind dropping me off where ever. Only two weeks left in SOMI brace then maybe two more in the soft brace. :rockon:

Cheers R

Transalper
11th June 2008, 07:52
Appoligies for dredging up old threads but it seems the best/most relevant place to advertise the finished 10 minute video short of this ride.
Anyone who went to the video evening last year would have already seen the 40 minute version. Im now going to stick both versions on a DVD, $10 if you want it, plus p n p if I can't easily hand deliver.

Youtube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP1rm5-7bUc).

Livevideo here (http://www.livevideo.com/video/D11FE04CA18549679D0B4A92C98E802F/anzac-day-adventures-2007-full.aspx). (also embeded next post)

Transalper
11th June 2008, 07:55
If you prefer the small embed screens then here it is (same video).

<div><embed src="http://www.livevideo.com/flvplayer/embed/D11FE04CA18549679D0B4A92C98E802F" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" WIDTH="445" HEIGHT="369" wmode="transparent"></embed><br/><a href="http://www.livevideo.com">http://www.livevideo.com</a></div>

marks
11th June 2008, 08:26
great video

thanks

Mark

mbazza
11th June 2008, 20:32
:woohoo:
Excevideo. Told a real story. Great graphics.
Thanks very much for the entertainment.
Cheers
:eek:

nigelp
11th June 2008, 20:37
Nice vid! Good to see timg mixing with the real dirty boys!

Peril
11th June 2008, 20:51
That looks great,very rough,but great.When are we going to get together and do that one? :D I'd imagine this time of year would be pretty insane.

Balrog
13th June 2008, 00:21
Excellent, looks like heaps of fun.

:niceone: