PDA

View Full Version : My perfect bike magazine....

slowpoke
30th March 2007, 16:09
Another thread got sidetracked talking about the merits or otherwise of various bike mags, with the suggestion made to start another thread, hence this thread.

It's easy to sit back and knock 'em but that doesn't really help them improve the product iunless we don't tell them what appeals to us. So, here's my perfect Kiwi bike magazine contents page:

1/ An interview with Bob Toomey, Dave Hiscock, Glenn Williams, Graeme Crosby, Stu Avant or similar interesting figure from the past. (apologies if any of these people are no longer er, "available"...). Who do you remember from the good ol' days?

2/ Have a road/track test of a serious performance bike by a respected racer. C'mon Shaun, tell us what you really think of a ZX10R.

3/ Have a track test of a top level NZ championship bike, comparison of several bikes, or an interesting contender. I saw an ex-Craig Flood supermoto bike at Taupo a few weeks back and the thing was pretty amazing for something that started out as an XR650.

4/ Profile/interview of a promising up and coming young racer.

5/ Feature a nicely modified readers ride, more than just a slip on and rearsets, something like the old Katana with an USD front end and monoshock rear outside Manfeild at the Nats.

6/ Show/suggest/ride/detail great roads and/or bike routes in NZ. Did someone say Cliffhanger...?

7/ An article on degreeing cams, or shimming valves, or rebuilding/modifying an engine over a serious of issues and evaluating the results. Something a bit more than chain maintenance or wheel alignment.

There's lots more that would have me reaching for my wallet but I can't fit it all in one issue. What would make you go back for a second look?

Big Dave
30th March 2007, 16:19
Cool. There is a letters to the editor link on http://www.kiwirider.co.nz

jim.cox
30th March 2007, 16:24
Another thread got sidetracked talking about the merits or otherwise of What would make you go back for a second look?

Good topic mate.

I'd be back for a good write up of an interesting backroads trip through a part of the country I dont know

Dooly
30th March 2007, 16:27
I like the idea of articles featuring normal riders and their rides, whatever it may be, even stock new bikes, and their honest opinions formed about their bikes.

avgas
30th March 2007, 16:34
i got most of that from an aussie mag unfortunately

Blackadda
30th March 2007, 16:42
free give aways

free motorbikes to give away

naked................women...........to give away

oh and something about motorbikes I spose!

oh, and things on riding skills, maintenance, bike doing up thingy's, moto gp, riders, more pics, advice, where to get stuff, blah blah blah.... generally more of what's around but bettererer!

Big Dave
30th March 2007, 16:47
I like the idea of articles featuring normal riders and their rides, whatever it may be, even stock new bikes, and their honest opinions formed about their bikes.

Published numerous invitations for kiwi ikers to submit all that - only got a few responses.

slowpoke
30th March 2007, 17:02

Done diddly done done (10 characters)

toymachine
30th March 2007, 17:03
Playboy with a bike around the back page..

jim.cox
30th March 2007, 17:06
Published numerous invitations for kiwi ikers to submit all that - only got a few responses.

Dave

a few years ago a did a number of "quick fang" reviews

The idea was borrow a bike for a lunch time and write it up

Happy to do it again....

slowpoke
30th March 2007, 17:18

Hmmm, for my money I want to read about something a bit "special", be it an interesting rider or interesting bike. I wouldn't pay money to read about what I can get standing at the top of the 'taka's or at the Flying Fish cafe. But that's your opinion and that's cool.

Maybe get an average road rider we can relate to (rather than the road test demi-gods) to contribute to the comparison tests? This could be run as a regular prize, to participate and contribute to the next comparo?

Maha
30th March 2007, 17:20
1/ An interview with Bob Toomey, Dave Hiscock, Glenn Williams, Graeme Crosby, Stu Avant or similar interesting figure from the past. (apologies if any of these people are no longer er, "available"...). Who do you remember from the good ol' days?

Certainly the Hiscocks'.....David (Alive) and Neville (RIP)....both first cousin's of my father..i have great memories of David at Wanganui....along side the likes of Holden/Freath (our very own doc') and Croz to name a few. Spoke to a guy up here a few years ago and he was telling me that Neville was an 11/10ths rider going over the Takas'...would be awsome to here from some of the riders from back then....:yes:

cowpoos
30th March 2007, 17:31
last time I email ross I got no reply....or my letter published!! but it was a bit shall we say opinionated and fruitfully topical!!

slowpoke
30th March 2007, 17:44
Certainly the Hiscocks'.....David (Alive) and Neville (RIP)....both first cousin's of my father..i have great memories of David at Wanganui....along side the likes of Holden/Freath (our very own doc') and Croz to name a few. Spoke to a guy up here a few years ago and he was telling me that Neville was an 11/10ths rider going over the Takas'...would be awsome to here from some of the riders from back then....:yes:

Yep, those were the days: 500GP bikes (Stu Avant) battling, F1 bikes (Hiscocks' plastic fantastic), vs hotrodded street bikes around Wanga's and Paritutu etc. Great stuff!!

Big Dave
30th March 2007, 17:45
Dave

a few years ago a did a number of "quick fang" reviews

The idea was borrow a bike for a lunch time and write it up

Happy to do it again....

Sounds good to me - but you have to talk to Ross. All up to him.
editor@kiwirider.co.nz

Big Dave
30th March 2007, 17:46
a bit shall we say opinionated and fruitfully topical!!

That's what editors do mate. they carry the can if it goes tits up too.

Krusti
30th March 2007, 17:52
To be perfectly honest I don't really care what the content is... If you look through my collection of Mags there are KR, BRM, Superbike, Live to Ride, DRM.

I just love reading about bikes, their owners and anything to do with bikes.

But then again I'm just a magazine slut!

Motu
30th March 2007, 18:12
Something all about me would be fine and dandy....just a suggestion y'know.PM me for life history and opinion on various subjects.....

MotoGirl
30th March 2007, 18:17
I prefer dedicated road bike mags. I don't mind if they cover cruisers and sportsbikes etc, but I'm not a fan of off-road.

I want to read about:
- Interesting roads that aren't the traditional route, e.g. 101 ways to get to...
- Fabulous scenery and landmarks along the way
- Where I can get a good feed (top priority)
- Places to put your head down for the night, both affordable and ritzy
- Where to find the friendliest folks
- How to prepare yourself and your bike for touring
- Average Joe and his average bike together in the real world
- Average Jane and her bike!

slowpoke
30th March 2007, 18:46
Something all about me would be fine and dandy....just a suggestion y'know.PM me for life history and opinion on various subjects.....

Now that would be interesting reading......but I fear the R18 rating would restrict sales.......

ninjac
30th March 2007, 22:04
Don't hate me because I'm right.

NZ readership is tiny compared to other nations. This limits the budget of the publication for things like multiple bike comparos, dyno runs, gear tests etc.
If we wanted a kickass bike mag with all the great features then we should kick the N out of MT&N, and combine that N with KiwiRider and Bikerider to form one great mag for all. Because the readership would be up the price should be low enough so the peeps who hate dirt or road won't mind sharing.

I think all the NZ mags do a good job, don't get me wrong. I regularly buy all of them. I just get sick of reading about the same bikes for three friken months.

Deviant Esq
30th March 2007, 22:58
Yeah, I have to say that in buying the bike mags over here in the UK I suddenly found out what it was like to have a cracking mag to read. I'm mainly into sportsbikes so I buy SuperBike and Fast Bikes, both are great reads. The last Fast Bikes mag I bought (got it in front of me now) had a whole lot of content in it, and pretty much everything was of interest to me.

Some of the stuff it had:

GSXR thou K7 launch
K7 vs. K6: does the K7 knock the K6 off its throne?
Class of 07 600s test: ZX-6R vs CBR600RR vs R6 vs GSXR600 vs Triumph 675
I loved this article, so well written, great comparison testing. I want the CBR!
Get more from your bike in 2007 (tips to maximise your biking year)
New Suzuki Bandit 1250S tested...and a heap more interesting reads with a good Need to Know section with riding tips, used bike buyer's guide, technical (this month was suspension setup, very handy) section, racing news, columns by James Toseland and a couple of other racers, babes and bikes, a staff bikes section... heaps of stuff, all relevant to my interests, and all well written. Overall, fantastic mag. And it included a free summer neck tube and Demon Tweeks catalogue. UK SuperBike magazine is a great buy too, have several copies of that since coming over here. Might have to subscribe so I have something to read in NZ ;)

rwh
30th March 2007, 23:24
2/ Have a road/track test of a serious performance bike by a respected racer. C'mon Shaun, tell us what you really think of a ZX10R.

I can imagine that causing problems for sponsored racers - or do we not have manufacturer-sponsored riders here?

Richard

Big Dave
31st March 2007, 09:00
Don't hate me because I'm right.

NZ readership is tiny compared to other nations. This limits the budget of the publication for things like multiple bike comparos, dyno runs, gear tests etc.
If we wanted a kickass bike mag with all the great features then we should kick the N out of MT&N, and combine that N with KiwiRider and Bikerider to form one great mag for all. Because the readership would be up the price should be low enough so the peeps who hate dirt or road won't mind sharing.

I think all the NZ mags do a good job, don't get me wrong. I regularly buy all of them. I just get sick of reading about the same bikes for three friken months.

yep - but also factor in it's also driven by advertising revenues.

Broad brush time - motorcycles have much of the profit margin chopped out of them by multiple retailers competing for a small market. They are often even in close proximity. everyone trades one against the other - at least until they have built rapport with a dealer - and even then they are fickle if the price is right. ie - the dealer chops more margin and part of that chop comes from the advertising budget - which means they can't pay the full whack for the clm cm. compared to other margin driven enterprises.

It's a funny trade - largely populated by enthusiasts who are lifestyle rich and cash poor. Flows on to the associated business a bit.

Re KR.
We have a LOT of new bikes for testing lately. My recent discussions with the Ed entailed shorter tests and more of them - with less anecdotal content.

Well, that's the plan stan.

dc