PDA

View Full Version : The Janus Operation - Pt 1

James Deuce
30th March 2007, 19:01
Talk about bittersweet.

I've gotten to know Nudemetalz over the last few months and I've known he's been struggling with a bit of a demon. For the moment the demon is in the ascendant so actually riding bikes is out of the question.

This means that Mrs NM gets to inherit NM's current obsession, a Moto Guzzi V11, and Mrs NM's RF400 has been sold to a young chap new to this site, kneescraper.

See what I mean? I get to deliver a bike to Napier, kneescraper gets a new ride, and NM sits at home on the couch. A two faced dilemma indeed.

The inspiring thing about NM though is that he isn't passively accepting his fate and shunning motorcycles, motorcyclists, and motorcycling in general, rather he's pleased that someone will get pleasure from the RF, and most of all his beloved wife gets to enjoy the Guzzi. Plus we'll keep meeting up for lunch and talking rubbish about bikes.

I'm a lucky boy in many ways, not the least of which is earning both NM and kneescraper's trust, enough so that I get to do an "almost delivered" run this to Napier weekend, and get to remember all those things about 400cc bikes that I used to love getting on for 20 years ago.

The big thing that stands out with the RF is literally its apparent big size. It's an illusion though, with the accomodation being somewhat more cramped than I'm used to. But by crikey does it fling itself into a corner. Nudging the bars to set up that, "Sorry officer I was warming the tyres" weave along the motorway gives the impression of a bike that is almost too stable. But it isn't. It's just right.

Keeping the revs up is another art I've lost, thanks to my super flexible 750. No drama though. Typical slick Suzuki gearbox and variable valve timing that chimes (or rather clicks) in at 7800rpm (or thereabouts) gives plenty of hints of how to ride this bike. Keep it above 6000rpm and it's smooth and responsive. Under that the off idle flat spot and rubber band throttle response would drive a typical V-Twin rider nuts (eh Mrs NM :) ).

I'm really sorry NM and kneescraper, I melted your rear tyre going up the Rimutakas (see photo below). What I can't get over is that it's one of my most hated tyres of all time - The dreaded Bridgestone Cyrox. OEM equipment on RC30s, they taught more than I ever wanted to know about "rear wheel steering", or as we used to call it back then, "I have to get my leathers dry cleaned again". Not on the RF though. No dramas at all in fact.

The RF cruises happily on the open road at *mumble* km/hr, with 6th gear being an overdrive that probably defeats the purpose of saving gas, because you need a fair amount of throttle to hold 100km/hr. 5th or even 4th is a much more pleasant option at 100km/hr and allows overtaking without paddling the gear lever.

I've got another couple of days with this bike.

Looking forward to it........

nudemetalz
30th March 2007, 21:23
Awesome report, Jim !!! and thanks for the kind words.

She was a wee cracker of a machine and I knew you'd have fun going up there.

Colapop
30th March 2007, 21:35
Leave the poor boy SOME rubber!

kneescraper
30th March 2007, 22:15
Thats what I was thinking when I saw the photo Colapop. Dam man, you sure have taken advantage havent ya :)...just make sure it gets there in one peice.

Treat her with the respect that she deserves....after all I wanna beable to ride her before she decideds to pack up and die :).

Glad ya having fun with it....

BTW, it better be as clean as it was when NM handed it over to you or I may have to hurt you :):):)

Colapop
31st March 2007, 07:25
Worry not young Jedi. Master Jim2 has been playing with his light saber long enough now, to ensure there'll be a little bit left for you.... :innocent:

You'll be leaving enough rubber on the Tiniroto road or up the coast anyway! The local tyre shop will love ya.

kneescraper
31st March 2007, 17:29
Hahah I don't ride the Tiniroto all that often. My inlaws use to live up there and I rode my old FZR250 up there once...tyre went from being a good tyre to a bald tyre with in 45mins. Also gotta watch out for the wild goats....

Once I get it...if its still in one piece (Jim!!!) I will be going up the coast and around to Optiki then back home...if any one wants to join me...come on GIjoe...I know ya love that ride!

James Deuce
31st March 2007, 21:25
Despite what kneescraper is probably thinking, I'm not joyriding on his bike (much). The most direct route from Wellington to Napier is via the Wairarapa so we left on Friday night so we could stay with the In-Laws and shed one of the kids on the way. This has the positive benfit of breaking the trip up a bit as well.

We left after lunch on one of those divine Autumn days. Still warm enough to pass as hot, but with reduced bug activity, and no traffic thanks to the rain in Wellington. That's right, rain in Wellington. Ha! Bright sunshine in the Wairarapa and all those poor sods trapped on the other side of the hill.

I can't STAND droning up SH2. It's boring, mostly straight, and populated by a demographic that think it's cool to wear hats in cars. Some of them have purple hair too. So I went via Gladstone, Masterton, Alfredton and back on to SH2 at Pahiatua. Along the way I took some pictures so Nudemetalz could see the RF in its natural habitat. Just before Gladstone is the Fisher Monoplane monument, which commemorates the first powered flight in the Wairarapa. Bikes, planes, and metal sculpture. That should keep Nudemetalz happy.

I couldn't get over the lack of traffic. It was just magic. From Masterton to Alfredton I saw one car, and from Alfredton to Pahiatua, again, only one car. Not a solitary bike. Suckers. The RF just eats up this sort of road, flicking from side side in a deliberate manner, and arcing through sweepers like it's on rails. It actually has enough mid-range that it doesn't just go "blurgh" when asking for some go on the exit of that corner you didn't get quite right.

Heather had left in the car 20 minutes after me and blatted up SH2. I got some gas, took a photo of the RF on Pahiatua Boulevard with the Palms stretching into the distance, and just as I went to ring Heather to see where she was, "toot toot", there she is!

We had a late lunch in Woodville, where I had the remarkable experience of seeing a 50-something couple climb onto a GN250 and head off into the wild blue yonder. Brave, brave souls.

Our luck with the traffic continued as we headed North, though riding in convoy with a car was a bit odd. Down SH50 to avoid the towns beginning with W and still very little traffic, lots of scenery, and man are there a heap of Vineyards from Fernhill to Napier now or what? There was more orchard and vineyard harvesting machinery on the road than passenger and transport vehicles.

The RF is super comfy, even with my legs folded up a bit and I got to MSTRS and Yungatart's with naru a hint of arse ache.

Thanks again for the opportunity to go for a ride through some great roads on someone else's bike, Nudemetalz and kneescraper.

Off to Gixer 4 Ever's tomorrow.

It's nearly there kneescraper.

nudemetalz
31st March 2007, 21:35
Awesome pics, Jim, esp the monoplane one. Would make a great wallpaper for Kneescraper !!

James Deuce
31st March 2007, 21:42
That's the squished one. I've a higher res one if required.

Grub
31st March 2007, 21:42
Nice pics and a great story Jim! That's prolly more pics then KneeScraper will take of it :)

kneescraper
1st April 2007, 09:48
Hahahah Jim, your the man mate. Nar I wasnt worried about joy riding...fark..your doing me a favour mate so it doesnt worry me if ya get the most out of it. Ive got iching feet...I needa ride her....that day will come this Wendsday.

Awesome photos dude!