PDA

View Full Version : *&#%!

Magua
24th August 2004, 21:26
I took in the GSXR250 for a pre purchase check and it came back negative. Front Tyre - Worn, will not pass wof.
Fork Seals - leaking
Rear brake pads - very low one side
Engine oil level too high - I could just drain that and fill iy up again
Brake pedal bent - seemed fine while I was riding it
No left mirror - Pick one up from a wreckers, not an essential item
Charging system not working properly - this is the major flaw as it could be a number of things, I've been quote $300, as long as it is working (just slightly) It can be left for now
rear shock worn - He didn't say shit about it, he didn't say it wasn't working just it was worn
The Fan is running constantly - can't see this would be a problem
Oil on front brakes - where could that have come from
drive chain - Ok, (yay!)

Two last comments on the sheet
Bike is old and kms are high, 45,000 kms. Doesn't seem that high but aparently becuase it's a small bike with a massive redline they wear out faster.

Estimated cost of getting it fixed, $800 to $1000

The guy wanted $1500 for the bike and was pretty shocked by the amount of problems. Obviously we aren't going to buy it for that amount in this condition so we have asked him for it for $1000, he is thinking about it.
I'm sure I can get the price cheaper if I shop around and do a lot of the work with my Grandfather (bikehappy nutter).

Probably start on the tyre, followed by the forks, front and rear brake pads. Leave the charging system until I figure out what is wrong with it.
For $1000, does it sound like I'm getting a little over my head?

Antallica
24th August 2004, 21:32
Sounds like she's a money sucker, I would be weary about it wanting more money thrown at it constantly. Otherwise good fixer-upper.

Talk to RIB about them GSXR250's.

Magua
24th August 2004, 21:32
Broken down to a list like that, it actually sounds like a good way to learn some bike maintanence. But money hungry it could be........

Blakamin
24th August 2004, 21:40
My charging system was stuffed...new battery, no problem

toads
24th August 2004, 21:41
I took in the GSXR250 for a pre purchase check and it came back negative. Front Tyre - Worn, will not pass wof.
Fork Seals - leaking
Rear brake pads - very low one side
Engine oil level too high - I could just drain that and fill iy up again
Brake pedal bent - seemed fine while I was riding it
No left mirror - Pick one up from a wreckers, not an essential item
Charging system not working properly - this is the major flaw as it could be a number of things, I've been quote $300, as long as it is working (just slightly) It can be left for now
rear shock worn - He didn't say shit about it, he didn't say it wasn't working just it was worn
The Fan is running constantly - can't see this would be a problem
Oil on front brakes - where could that have come from
drive chain - Ok, (yay!)

Two last comments on the sheet
Bike is old and kms are high, 45,000 kms. Doesn't seem that high but aparently becuase it's a small bike with a massive redline they wear out faster.

Estimated cost of getting it fixed, $800 to $1000

The guy wanted $1500 for the bike and was pretty shocked by the amount of problems. Obviously we aren't going to buy it for that amount in this condition so we have asked him for it for $1000, he is thinking about it.
I'm sure I can get the price cheaper if I shop around and do a lot of the work with my Grandfather (bikehappy nutter).

Probably start on the tyre, followed by the forks, front and rear brake pads. Leave the charging system until I figure out what is wrong with it.
For $1000, does it sound like I'm getting a little over my head?

it does sound as though you will have to spend some money and time on it, and I would say that $1000 would be top dollar for a bike in that condition.

Milky
24th August 2004, 21:43
A large amout of that you can fix/diagnose yourself. tyre, pads, mirror, engine oil, brake pedal, fork seals, fan and cleaning front discs are things you can do yourself, maybe with help from someone with a garage/manual. Parts costs can be suprising, but the benefit with a bike like this is that you get to know it a bit better as you work with it.
Charging system and shocks may not be a big problem, depending on how fussy you are and the severity of the problems...
If you do go ahead with it, make sure to get it for the cheapest possible price... sob, whing whinge and cry your way to an extra $5 off the price.

FROSTY
24th August 2004, 21:52
oil on the brakes is the fork oil from fork seals.
The seals and tyre probably need doing right away.
The fan on all the time indicattes a potential overheating problem to me.
If you can get it for 1000 I reckon its probably on the road for 1500-1600 with it all fixed

Magua
24th August 2004, 22:02
If you can get it for 1000 I reckon its probably on the road for 1500-1600 with it all fixed

$1500-$1600 on top of the $1000 for the bike or $1500-$1600 all up?

Motoracer
24th August 2004, 22:17
Some times the fan goes on all the time because of a faulty thermostat/switch, it's not too much of a biggie. Most of the other stuff is just basic DIY stuff...

It's a second hand bike, you can't expect too much from it...

I'd say a good-great buy if you get it for a 1000 at todays 250 market prices...

Motoracer
24th August 2004, 22:21
P.S. Affmans old zxr250 did 100,000 kms and was still going strong. If thoes guys couldn't find anything major wrong with it there is no need to panic with the 45,000. If they are 45,000 honest Ks, it's OK.

aff-man
24th August 2004, 22:38
Yip but i looked after my bike. This bike looks shat apon. Remember witht he high km i still got quite a bit more.
Magua if you looking for a sports 250 in the $1000-$1500 then expect to pay about $1000 or more to get it sorted. The more expensive the bike the less it needs done basically. As for km well did you get them to do a compression test. If all the cylinders check out ok and the mechanic test rides it to check out the gear box you shouldn't have to worry about the km. Happy hunting i saw a couple of bikes on trademe. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-14925579.htm http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-15039983.htm http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-14839048.htm . Just get the zxr checked out carefully and the vt are (if in good nick) great little bikes

750Y
25th August 2004, 08:46
mate I'd take the 2 grand and go bargain down someone selling a better bike.

Magua
25th August 2004, 10:24
The mechanic took it for a ride, he didn't mention the gearbox. They didn't do a compression test though.

merv
25th August 2004, 14:50

Me too. That bike sounds like crap.

Eddieb
25th August 2004, 15:20
I wouldn't be handing over my hard earned without a compression check on any high revving 250 with that sort mileage. Especially if it's been thrashed.

duckman
25th August 2004, 15:22

Yea, grab that $2,000 and come and talk me outta my g/f's 1997 TU250 :niceone:

Mongoose
25th August 2004, 15:58
As someone mentioned on here before, all that stuff can mainly be fixed by you, its maintainance stuff. Having said that, its only what has been seen so far and i would have serious questions about the standard of service/mainatainance it has receieved previously

aff-man
25th August 2004, 17:11
Dude where did you get a pre-purchace check done. ALWAYS ask them to include a compression test it is like a bike tell tale whether the bike is thrashed or not. I can't believe they didn't do one .

marty
25th August 2004, 17:21
$1000 is too much. it's gonna cost you another $500 just to ride the thing (rego, tyres) without a WOF, let alone the down time and unknown cost to get it up to speed. what would the value be of it once it's all fixed? $3000? i wouldn't be touching it. hasn't been looked after, doesn't bode well for happy longevity. i reckon you're better off finding a tidy $2250 bike with a reg and wof and knocking them down to $2000

Motoracer
25th August 2004, 17:28
Dude where did you get a pre-purchace check done. ALWAYS ask them to include a compression test it is like a bike tell tale whether the bike is thrashed or not. I can't believe they didn't do one .

I assumed they did all the checks, that's why I said go for it!

Compression test is a must.

Hitcher
25th August 2004, 17:45
My charging system was stuffed...new battery, no problem
I notice in an ad in the latest Biketrader insert in Kiwi Rider magazine that Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers are wrecking a Zeal. You said you were after some new pipes... The Zeals sold in Australia offen have the nice chrome pipes, rather than the polished aluminium ones. Might be worth an email?

Hitcher
25th August 2004, 17:46
Yea, grab that $2,000 and come and talk me outta my g/f's 1997 TU250 :niceone:
Ahh! The Mighty Volty!

Magua
25th August 2004, 19:58
Damnit, I specifically told them over the phone that I wanted a compression test. Didn't even cross my mind though as he read back the problems.

Magua
25th August 2004, 20:00
i reckon you're better off finding a tidy $2250 bike with a reg and wof and knocking them down to $2000

Sounds good, if I could fine one....:(

Indiana_Jones
25th August 2004, 20:22
Sounds good, if I could fine one....:(

We're here for you brother :)

LEAN ON ME, WHEN YOUR NOT STRONG...........

-Indy

Blakamin
25th August 2004, 20:34
I notice in an ad in the latest Biketrader insert in Kiwi Rider magazine that Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers are wrecking a Zeal. You said you were after some new pipes... The Zeals sold in Australia offen have the nice chrome pipes, rather than the polished aluminium ones. Might be worth an email?

On it NOW!!! cheers, Hitcher

geoffm
25th August 2004, 21:29
Can you fix it yourself? the $1000 estimate will disappear very quickly if you have to start paying someone else to do the work.
"not charging can be many things, from a stator ($$$) to regulator($$) to battery( $). it is easy to trace with a multi meter.
OTOH, you can fit the 400 motor into some of the GSXR250 models pretty easily... :-). The Impulse motor fits into one of these pretty easily. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction_photo-15028459/permanent-0/photoid-5164124/title-SUZUKI+GSXR+250.htm

To show where money goes - a friend bought an FZR400 at the end of last year, because he knew me and a mate used t race one, knew about them and had some parts. I got it running (poorly) and ran out of time. It went off to a shop, $500-600 later for a service, carb sync and other work... :thud: Even then, we have had to fix the regulator/ rectifier (known weakness) with a spare, and the carbs were a mess.
250s are unrealistic prices, because of the learner laws. It depends on the condition, but if you can get it fixed and on the road for $2k, I would say it would be ok. If you are in my area and I am home, come around one weekend and can probably sort it in a day or 2
(famous last words)
Geoff

Magua
25th August 2004, 21:41
If a compression test comes back positive I think I'll probably buy it. It's just something about it. Hard to explain, I look at it and see a Beast of a bike, then again a lot of bikes look wicked when you've just moved up from 12 Brake Horse Power. I should be able to do a lot of the work my grandfather. So how do I check out the source of the battery problem?

aff-man
26th August 2004, 00:30
yee trusty multimeter should check out if your reg/rec and alternator is doing what it should. You need a hand with anything just yell, don't know how much help i'll be but will try lend a hand where possible. :doobey: :doobey: