PDA

View Full Version : Something useful for you touring lot -- and Disco Dan, of course

xwhatsit
2nd April 2007, 23:26
I saw this a while back, but can't remember if you guys know about it. Specially designed for use with a gloved hand.

Although getting lost is half the fun of owning a motorcycle, sometimes I would love to have a GPS unit. Stopping on the side of the road to pull out a street directory is a major pain in the arse.

Linky: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/02/tomtom-rider-2-animation-leaked/

jafar
3rd April 2007, 19:19
Kinda takes all the fun out of it :whocares:

Toaster
3rd April 2007, 19:28
Cool, does it get SKY???!!!! Would look a bit dumb on the cruiser tho'... and I never get lost (yeah right!).... now I am arguing with myself.

jafar
3rd April 2007, 21:57
Cool, does it get SKY???!!!! Would look a bit dumb on the cruiser tho'... and I never get lost (yeah right!).... now I am arguing with myself.

Those med's kicking in there mate ?:dodge:

Maha
3rd April 2007, 22:03
I just use the sun for direction and if its cloudy..i use the 'moist finger held in the wind ' trick....if theres no wind?...i just follow the car in front of me till i get board with that, and by that time hopefully the sun has come....:sunny:

NighthawkNZ
3rd April 2007, 22:10
Dick Smith have a GPS for the Motorcycle but 1800 odd buck a roos
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4612279901586d52273fc0a87f33068a/Product/View/D7999

xwhatsit
3rd April 2007, 23:12
I just use the sun for direction and if its cloudy..i use the 'moist finger held in the wind ' trick....if theres no wind?...i just follow the car in front of me till i get board with that, and by that time hopefully the sun has come....:sunny:

I tried to use the `finger in the wind' trick last time I got lost, but leather glove doesn't taste very nice, and I couldn't really feel much anyway.

Disco Dan
4th April 2007, 01:26
If im not sure which way to go, I always follow my tried and tested motto:

"If in doubt, turn right"

And recent appendix:

"except on a roundabout"

onearmedbandit
4th April 2007, 02:07
Dick Smith have a GPS for the Motorcycle but 1800 odd buck a roos
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4612279901586d52273fc0a87f33068a/Product/View/D7999

Fucking left hand controls huh? If this was the US of A I`d sue them for discrimination.

Hanne
7th April 2007, 20:03
If getting lost is an issue, get yourself a lady friend to be your pillion :P

Lol I am so going to get in trouble for posting this, but Squiggles can't deny it, most of the time on our South Island trip I WAS right :P

xwhatsit
7th April 2007, 21:14
If getting lost is an issue, get yourself a lady friend to be your pillion :P

Lol I am so going to get in trouble for posting this, but Squiggles can't deny it, most of the time on our South Island trip I WAS right :P

I doubt my girlfriend has any clue at all when it comes to not getting lost, never mind the fact her glasses make it hard to see street signs lol.

Good thing she still catches the bus for now.

skidMark
7th April 2007, 21:55
I saw this a while back, but can't remember if you guys know about it. Specially designed for use with a gloved hand.

Although getting lost is half the fun of owning a motorcycle, sometimes I would love to have a GPS unit. Stopping on the side of the road to pull out a street directory is a major pain in the arse.

Linky: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/02/tomtom-rider-2-animation-leaked/

i just keep riding till i see i sign that says somewhere i know :P

screw pulling out a map book

Southern man
7th April 2007, 22:05
Lost is just a state of mind. Just keep going until it is familiar or new. Eventually we all come full circle.

Templar
7th April 2007, 22:09
I've got a Garmin Zumo, we've used it quite a it lately looking at open homes (in the car though). It's an awesome piece of kit.

xwhatsit
7th April 2007, 22:17
i just keep riding till i see i sign that says somewhere i know :P

screw pulling out a map book

I know, that's what I do when I'm riding for pleasure. But when you're commuting and you have to be at a certain place at a certain time to meet somebody or take an exam, it's a bit of a pisser.

Big Dave
7th April 2007, 22:21
No use for any of that stuff at all - I don't even have a mobile phone.

For my own bike I want a speedometer, a tacho, an odometer, a neutral, oil and indicator warning lights and that's IT.

No trip computer, no fuel gauge, no gps, no phone, no heated anything, no screens, no bodywork - bike, wheels, motor, handlebars, me.

All that other stuff is just degrees of softness in what used to be a hard man's game. ;-P

skidMark
7th April 2007, 22:23
I know, that's what I do when I'm riding for pleasure. But when you're commuting and you have to be at a certain place at a certain time to meet somebody or take an exam, it's a bit of a pisser.

um look at the map before you leave like i do only once ever have i had to take it out of my bag again

xwhatsit
7th April 2007, 23:24
um look at the map before you leave like i do only once ever have i had to take it out of my bag again

Why are we arguing about this?

I know you think you've got a big dick and an Eidetic memory.

However, some of us ride Hondas.

xwhatsit
7th April 2007, 23:29
No use for any of that stuff at all - I don't even have a mobile phone.

For my own bike I want a speedometer, a tacho, an odometer, a neutral, oil and indicator warning lights and that's IT.

No trip computer, no fuel gauge, no gps, no phone, no heated anything, no screens, no bodywork - bike, wheels, motor, handlebars, me.

All that other stuff is just degrees of softness in what used to be a hard man's game. ;-P

Ah you great blouse. My neutral warning light blew :innocent:

Get what you're saying, though. I'm a bit of a contradiction -- compsci student who loves gadgets and flashing LEDs and stuff like that. However I'm slowly trying to assemble a bare-bones café racer, where you don't really even want a proper seat.

What I really want, I think, is two bikes. One for commuting and work, where a GPS and lots of storage and stuff would be terribly useful. And another for play; like you said, just me, two wheels, handlebars and a motor. Maybe a frame, too.

skidMark
7th April 2007, 23:32
Why are we arguing about this?

I know you think you've got a big dick and an Eidetic memory.

However, some of us ride Hondas.

it's ok i'm sure it's not by choice

Wolf
16th May 2007, 10:58
Fucking left hand controls huh? If this was the US of A I`d sue them for discrimination.
Dude, just turn it upside down...

Blackbird
16th May 2007, 11:39
I bought a Garmin 76 CX hand-held GPS recently, mainly for when Mrs B and I are legging it round in foreign climes (oh yes, and as a cool toy:love: )but the NZ auto-routing software is brilliant. It must be based on satellite imaging because even the private road behind my office on our manufacturing site is shown on it!

Templar
16th May 2007, 11:45
We got a Garmin Zumo for a trip we're planning at end of year. I love the thing, damn mint. We have been househunting for our first home for a few months now, and it makes it so easy to visit open homes.

I'd love to say how it performs on a bike, but still waitin on that part of the equipment but think the GPS is awesome.

My touring bike (until the latest ETA of July anyway):

90s
17th May 2007, 12:16
I use a sophisiticated GPS, although to you it might look like a map in the top clear pocekt of my oxford tankbag.

And of course I never look at the map because I am a man. Oh yes.

In fact I took part in one of the original SatNav design studies for users navigation systems conducted by HUSAT in the early or mid-1990s. I was required to drive to various locations where I would open an envlope giving the next address. I then went there, etc. We were fully supplied with maps and had to describe our navigation style after (no actual satnav was in the car).

One night in the pub I was approached by a drunk guy who was laughing his head off - said I entertained his team no end and was a total star. Turns out he was the team leader and the car was secretly fitted with 6 cameras to observe behaviour. He said I drove randomly at speed for hours, singing my head off to tapes I'd brought with me.

Still, works for me.

Disco Dan
17th May 2007, 12:54
I use a sophisiticated GPS, although to you it might look like a map in the top clear pocekt of my oxford tankbag.

And of course I never look at the map because I am a man. Oh yes.

In fact I took part in one of the original SatNav design studies for users navigation systems conducted by HUSAT in the early or mid-1990s. I was required to drive to various locations where I would open an envlope giving the next address. I then went there, etc. We were fully supplied with maps and had to describe our navigation style after (no actual satnav was in the car).

One night in the pub I was approached by a drunk guy who was laughing his head off - said I entertained his team no end and was a total star. Turns out he was the team leader and the car was secretly fitted with 6 cameras to observe behaviour. He said I drove randomly at speed for hours, singing my head off to tapes I'd brought with me.

Still, works for me.

oh my! That would have been funny!!!

...tank bags are handy... ...I have to pull over, remove gloves.. remove hi-vis, remove back pack... take out map.. find where I am... memorise the next 2-3 intersections... put everything back on... continue... absolute pain.

....must get me one of those gps thingies...

TS99
21st May 2007, 19:47
We got a Garmin Zumo ....

Seen those in the flesh, nice bit of kit, but waaaaay too expensive. $1800 :gob: buys a lot of gas and a lot of pootling around... i'd rather get lost tks!

In case you're feelin rich (like templar) try here for a looksee https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135