PDA

View Full Version : Nicksta's PMCC round 4

Nicksta
3rd April 2007, 00:15
First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone that have helped me in the last few months to bring me to this report. Bruce, love you, thanks for the introduction to the track on Gix and the challenge set for my racing ahead. Andy, Jen, Squirt, Daryl, Jill, Aaron, Jimmy, Sue, Eddy, Jono, Shane (and Megan), Bret, Shaun and Logan, thank you all for being there for me and helping in every way possible.

Round 4 of PMCC kicked off with a practice session, setting off behind Jen my goal was to keep up and see how the others in my class rode. First thing I notice is Tweety won’t rev over 11000rpm so I have to change gears in random places to keep up. Practice over and I’m on the phone to Logan to describe what was going on. Nothing major, but something I had to work with for the rest of the day.

Race 1: lining up on the grid my goal was to try and keep up with Jen and see what this race stuff is like. Jen slides up to the third row so I position myself on the outside next to her. Start was sweet I stuck to the outside as per my normal line, saw everyone crowd into T1 so I go wide and overtake 3 bikes (Yay I overtook people!) Had an awesome time with Jen taking me so I had to work hard to pass her and the 2 slower riders that were holding us up… managed a sweet move on T1/2 and took all 3 and ended up 10th. Was amazed, top 10 in my first race! I over took people kept up, and got real close to other bikes.. mission 1 accomplished.

Race 2: With Jen and I in 12th and 10th place, I figure 3rd row is sweet on the grid, lining up in the same outside position, which seemed sweet in R1, my goal was to find Ms Boyd who came in 6th in race 1. Got a shit start as the VFR had nothing and was missing like crazy. Found something in 2nd as everyone flew past me, T1 I took the outside again and made up a few places and more through a (first ever) inside move on 2 bikes in T2. Closing in on Jen and the other 2 from the first race I’m struggling with gears and finding revs that work. Managed the outside manoeuvre in T1 to get past Jen and the other 2 and saw Ms Boyd in T4 when I was at T2, pinned my ears and caught up by T7. Stuck behind her through the chicane onto the back straight where I tried to accelerate after her and found nothing. Change down, nothing, coasted to the pits where I find I had no gas. Lessons learned: when you think you have enough gas, put more in and Ms Boyd wasn’t as far in front as I first thought. Result: DNF :(

Race 3: After my suspect start and DNF my goal was to better my start and finish this one. Warm up lap tells me the VFR isn’t happy in 2nd gear, missing at different revs now it was roulette out of a corner as to if it would go or no. Start was a no, found a gear with pep and resorted to the outside move on T1 to make up a few places and got zealous through T2 for a few more. Struggling with 8000rpm in 2nd I find 3rd gear a ripper to make up time round the big sweep to the tyre chicane. Lap 3 and I have nothing out of turn 5 and Jen fly’s past and I find myself struggling to keep up and my mind drifts to Jono’s comments about getting my knee down which I try on T7’s sweet left, no luck, I remember I’m in a race and push on to the chequered flag. Result: Finished, no knee down, must work on carb and airflow before next track day, stoked to watch Jen kick my ass and get more aggressive through the day.

So after all that, 13th overall for the day, I learned a hell of a lot, had a blast and was so stoked to have all my mates there with me enjoying the day. Roll on the next race and Vic Club winter series. Big thanks to Team Bent Spanner Racing; Eddy, Jill and Jono. Also mega thanks to Andy and Logan the mighty VFR mechanics.
Check out Dave from www.kiwibike.co.nz for all your insurance needs and track day coverage!

Toast
3rd April 2007, 07:27
Awesome effort Nicksta. I didn't see you race, but I've seen you at a trackday and you aren't shy with the passing moves. Well done :niceone:

Devil
3rd April 2007, 07:57
Great work Nicki :Punk: . Bummed I couldn't be there. :(

skelstar
3rd April 2007, 09:01
Good stuff N. See you at the VMCC! (?)

crashe
3rd April 2007, 09:28
Great write up Nicki.......

Well done......... keep it going..........:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

aff-man
3rd April 2007, 09:35
Was awesome watching ya... especially going round the outside of a k6 600.

Will be watching at the next one...

cowpoos
3rd April 2007, 11:10
awesome stuff nik...you did bloody well in your first meeting...tis a shame about running outta gas...a lil muppet-ish at the same time lol ;)

Stroker Girl
3rd April 2007, 11:15
Woo hoo, well done Nicki, sounds like you had a great day :rockon:

Keep up the good work and look forward to reading your next report

kiwifruit
3rd April 2007, 13:20
Good effort young lady :rockon:
Bruce will be proud

Leong
3rd April 2007, 15:27
Was awesome watching ya... especially going round the outside of a k6 600.

Yes, saw you do that too. He was holding you guys up quite a bit. You'll be doing that to me next!!

You're definitely getting quicker, and good to watch. It'll be even more fun when your bike reliability is sorted. Ms Boyd is a good "target". She always at the HRC trackdays and I wish I could get my knee down like her. She has great body positioning too.

Glad you enjoyed the day despite the disappointments!! :2thumbsup

Cleve
3rd April 2007, 17:34
Way to go Nicky. Proud of you and real sorry I missed your efforts.
Get pregnant, have a baby and then you can join Team MaD!

Nicksta
3rd April 2007, 20:00
ROFL... thank you guys soo much! i'm humbled by your comments.... and overwhelmed by all your support.... promise I will ride hard.. and get Tweety sorted for the next outing....

Poos - i guess it was a bit of a muppet moment... got to keep up tradition i guess ;)
Cleve - I dont believe in devine intervention... so might have to stick with team Bent Spanner Racing for a littel bit...
Andrea, Jono, Matt, Shaun; thanks heaps for the support...
Leong - I wont catch you for a while yet... was cool to see you there..
Speedie - thanks dude... i'm looking forward to kicking some ass!
Allan - thanks for the pic, its awesome!
SG - hopefully there will be many more reports to come..
Toast - thanks dude.. it was my first overtaking ever on the track, i'm usually in the slow group being overtaken! so lots of practice needed...

I'm still grinning...

Scorpygirl
3rd April 2007, 20:05
Great, great write-up Nicky. Go well Girl with Bruce on your shoulder. In fact go with all 3 Bruce's on you shoulder - Old Fart (our best man ), LooseBruce and Uncle B!!!

HDTboy
3rd April 2007, 20:15
Will be great to watch you improve through the winter series.

Momentum
3rd April 2007, 20:27
its grate to see you out there.

keep it up

roadracingoldfart
4th April 2007, 06:49
Really great report Nicksta. Petrol is a must in motorsport but you could always say you were just doing your carbon credit for the weekend aye !!!! lol.
PS; Grinning is good so keep doing it.
Cheers Paul.

Riff Raff
4th April 2007, 11:35
Hey babe I was very proud watching you out there.

Here's a couple of piccies.

SPman
4th April 2007, 14:30
Hmmm yellow VFR - is that Logans old bike?

aff-man
4th April 2007, 16:46
Hmmm yellow VFR - is that Logans old bike?

actually it's not... what are the chances aye hahahahaha

Go the bananaramamobile woohoooo

Nicksta
4th April 2007, 22:14
lol... as the aff dude said... Logan's bike is still safe in his garage... although it might loose some parts when he's not looking ;)
but her name is Tweety, no relation to any fruit like Jono.... :)
thanks for the pics Aunty Riff..
lol Paul, carbon credits ay? do they make you go faster? think i'll just top up a bit more on the go juice... or start measuring it in... ;)
Got the forms for AMCC... so think that will be Tweety's next outing....
thanks all again!

DEATH_INC.
4th April 2007, 22:19
You did good out there mate, it was great to see ya up there fighting it out with Jen :yes:
Time to get tweety sorted though.....

vtec
9th April 2007, 13:05
Can't believe that was your first race meeting. Nice, the girls are really coming through. Who will be the first into F1/F2?

Nicksta
22nd April 2007, 21:56
yup it was.... still got a lot to learn about racing tho... and riding for that matter... thanks all....
F2 is something that is in the future.... i'm learning on Tweety.... then might step up when the time is right... take on some of you boys!