PDA

View Full Version : Question about E-bay auctions

pete376403
25th August 2004, 11:48
I'm in the process of bidding for an item on E-bay. With about an hour to go it looks like I might be successful. My problem is, the bid is insanely low for what the item is - if it was me selling I'd be way pissed to sell that cheap. So the question is - can the seller, at the end of the auction, decide that the price is too low and cancel? There is no reserve on the item.

OTOH, If i win, I'm going to get hammered for freight - it's a pretty heavy lump coming from Tennessee.

liferocks
25th August 2004, 11:54
Well in theory they have no option since they set it at no reserve. But I dare say there are people who will just refuse to see it through. Most of them are ok tho.

Cajun
25th August 2004, 12:14
yeah pete shipping is a cunt from the usa, the misses should know she just got somethin on ebay for like $26 and gonna cost her like $60 for shipping

If there arn't a reserve they can't pull it

Blakamin
25th August 2004, 12:19
not if its passed reserve!

you got a link to the item at all...(promise i wont bid)

pete376403
25th August 2004, 12:25
I'll post the link in 45 minutes - I don't want ANYONE seeing this until after the event :shifty:

pete376403
25th August 2004, 13:21
Shitshitshitshitshit!
Outbid in the last few seconds - by the time I got my counter bid in the auction had closed

Was an FZR1000 transmission - gears, shafts and selector forks. Went for $15.00

Hoon
25th August 2004, 14:15
Yeah I've just started getting into online auctions and have scored some real bargains... Heres some tips I've found for next time.

- If its going "too cheap to believe" then be there 10 mins before the auction closes coz you can bet there will be a mad bidding rush at the end (I get txtd my reminders).

- When you get there, look at the "Page views" counter to see if anybody else is sitting there refreshing the page (only on trademe not ebay).

- Have another page loaded with your bid ready and waiting on the "Bid" button (factoring in someone else bid and your counter bid).

- Or if you want to be extra sure, at the last minute put in your final bid with an extra safe margin so that you'll outbid anyone else putting in a last minute bid.

- If you use autobid, choose a round number plus a little more than the minimum bid i.e. instead of say $300, choose $310 because people will anticipate your max limit to be a round number so they will go a little higher to beat you but if you go higher still they are less likely to keep going.

Badcat
25th August 2004, 15:37
Shitshitshitshitshit!
Outbid in the last few seconds - by the time I got my counter bid in the auction had closed

hey - i used to buy on ebay for a living.
(long story)

you prolly got nailed by a sniper.
all the pros use sniping software - love it or hate it - it works.
i use:
www.auctionsniper.com

ken
(has a straight job now)

riffer
25th August 2004, 19:18
hey - i used to buy on ebay for a living
and used to live on trademe too IIRC Ken.

I traded a few times with you - it was a bit of a laugh to find you here on kiwibiker too.

Bloody small world mate.

Have you still got about a million macintoshes in your living room?

riffer
25th August 2004, 19:22
Shitshitshitshitshit!

Bad luck old chap. You were looking good for a while. Same thing happened to me with that mirror stay - the one I showed you last night.

Went for $15 too. I got sniped by the guy who runs www.fzrarchives.com.

I'm tweaking the carbies in my fizzer tonight - going from 92's up to 102.5's and 105's. I may be around to grab my manual back if I get stuck...

Badcat
25th August 2004, 19:37
and used to live on trademe too IIRC Ken.

I traded a few times with you - it was a bit of a laugh to find you here on kiwibiker too.

Bloody small world mate.

Have you still got about a million macintoshes in your living room?

yep used to buy on ebay and sell on trademe - trying to get the mac graveyard down to a manageable size, it's a slow job...
still doing the mac stuff, but have a full time job doing the mac applications at (ahem) microsoft....
have a mortgage and 6 month old boy now, so moved out to sunny northcote. bigv change - but i'm loving it.
what was your trademe name?

ken

riffer
25th August 2004, 21:49
yep used to buy on ebay and sell on trademe - trying to get the mac graveyard down to a manageable size, it's a slow job...
still doing the mac stuff, but have a full time job doing the mac applications at (ahem) microsoft....
have a mortgage and 6 month old boy now, so moved out to sunny northcote. bigv change - but i'm loving it.
what was your trademe name?

ken
sgotlieb (even has a good pic of me in the profile - wedding day - kilt and all)

Badcat
25th August 2004, 22:00
sgotlieb (even has a good pic of me in the profile - wedding day - kilt and all)
now i remember you!!
nice to talk again!
its funny how small a world it is.
lou girardin was a long time contributor to the mx5 list i belong to too.
: )

k