PDA

View Full Version : Arriving later this month, info on bike checks needed.

kinger
3rd April 2007, 05:22
Hi, we're Steve and Hazel, and we're landing soon.
We're coming over from the Isle of Wight, UK, so will unfortunately be without the bike til it lands in June/July time.
I've a quick question regarding the bike, and could do with a little info.
It's a 1995 Yamaha XJR1200, and it's had a few bits done to it. Will the following cause me problems at Customs/MAF/WoF checks.

1300 engine fitted, (all legal and on the registration docs.)
Renthal bars
Wavy rear brake disc
Pattern clutch and brake levers
MPH speedo. (I've got a kph innards I can fit.)

It's just to make the wait as short as possible and get me back on two wheels as soon as possible.
Thanks for any help.
Kinger

Beemer
3rd April 2007, 11:05
See my post "anyone coming our way?"

We don't normally have many visitors during the winter months so feel free to contact us if you want to stay for a few days.

crashe
3rd April 2007, 11:12
Kia ora and welcome to New Zealand.

Welcome to KB as well.:yes:

Now to your list of questions....... I dunno.......... but there are a number of the lads and maybe a few gals could anwser all your questions for you.

avgas
3rd April 2007, 11:30
dunno about the engine - best bet is to get it certed. But if its just the FJR 1300 (not a weisco kit etc) then you should get away by just saying its an FJR1300.
Brakes might be a bit so-so. But if you have a prob with the disc's then just by a cheap set from a wreckers (or new 1's from the guy in Waihi) for your wof's.
Dont have braided lines do you?
Also check your headlight is all good.

kinger
3rd April 2007, 15:53
Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention the braided hoses. Had 'em so lomg that they completely slipped my mind.
Am I going to have to revert to rubber hoses?

mstriumph
3rd April 2007, 15:57

no the brake line though police will probably do that ........ :dodge:

sorry - i just don't know what comes over me sometimes

welcome to the forum!

Sniper
3rd April 2007, 16:03
Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention the braided hoses. Had 'em so lomg that they completely slipped my mind.

Only if they are not a NZ recognised certed type. Maybe another one of the guys here can elaborate a bit more.

Send a PM to a couple of members on here Jim2 and Ixion, they are pretty knowledgable when it comes to matters of this nature

kinger
4th April 2007, 06:02
They're HEL lines, and only a year or so old.
They've got a yellow band on them with HEL on them, but no other markings.
There's a mate of mine in Auckland from the XJROC whom reckons his floats through the WoF with braided hoses, so I think I'm gonna let them stay until they get pulled up.
The one thing I may do is stick the scabby rear disc back on for shipping. The wavey rear may an appearance once I'm on the road.
Thanks for the info so far, I WILL get those PMs off later.:Punk:

SPman
4th April 2007, 14:56
The engine should be OK - same with most stuff apart from the brake lines, as mentioned.
What size Renthalls you got - I'm looking to put a pair on my XJR

Macktheknife
4th April 2007, 15:34
Welcome to KB.
Mostly shouldn't be a problem I think, maybe the brake lines but give it a go first. Is this a permanent move or just a visit?

kinger
5th April 2007, 09:02
Right, the Renthal's number I'll confirm later. All I can say for now is that we did a 380 mile blat last week (around 500kms) each way, and the bars were a damn sit more comfy than OE ones.
You can see them if you go to www.xjroc.com and look at "kingers" gallery.
Secondly, it's a permanent move. We came over last year and had a look around. I was offered jobs in Palmy and Blenheim, but we want to live in Taupo.
Anyone got a job for a Brit ex Army Aircraft Engineer?

keza
5th April 2007, 10:27
engine shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a reciept to say you brought it
providing wave rotors have a min thickness stamped on them and are not below that then should be ok
braided line s must be a recognised brand (in nz) or have ssh106 standard on them and have the standard on the line s and the banjos and crimped unless they are fren tubo or globle system lines
your levers won't matter but must have no sharp ends or yopu wwill fail

Blackbird
5th April 2007, 11:33
was offered jobs in Palmy and Blenheim, but we want to live in Taupo.
Anyone got a job for a Brit ex Army Aircraft Engineer?

A few KB'ers are connected with the aircraft industry so they may be able to assist, but have a look at this: http://www.aviationnews.co.nz/class/jobs.php. The crowd who want an aircraft engineer are Hamilton-based which is in the central north island. The trick is to get your foot in the door, then make choices closer to your ideal!

We're always looking for plant maintenance staff at our Pulp and Paper Mill which is within commuting distance of Taupo but that would probably bore the pants off you!

Good luck anyway!

slowpoke
5th April 2007, 12:05
I had no rpoblems importing the ol' R1 which had a non-original engine fitted, although obviously not of a larger capacity. if your new engine number is on your papers you'll be sweet.
Aftermarket rearsets were no problem for me so your levers and bars will be OK.
Just something to think about: I had EBC HH pads fitted but because no markings were visible on the pads I had to buy a brand new set with visible markings (the dude even had a look at the packaging!) to show that they are not remanufactured or home bodged something or other. If you can't see any recognisable markings on all your pads they'll make you change 'em.
I actually refitted the rubber brake lines to save myself the agro.

kinger
6th April 2007, 17:10
The biggest steps I've taken so far was remove my mini idicators and refit originals, my God, they're huge.Laser Prostock race cans will be off on Monday and into a box, as long as she arrives safe, they'll be back on for the tracks.
I'm going to run with the braided lines. It's too late now to get a replacement set, and the old ones were 12 years old, so even if I still had them, I wouldn't trust them.

El Dopa
6th April 2007, 19:27
They're HEL lines, and only a year or so old.
They've got a yellow band on them with HEL on them, but no other markings.
There's a mate of mine in Auckland from the XJROC whom reckons his floats through the WoF with braided hoses, so I think I'm gonna let them stay until they get pulled up.

I've got NZ road legal braided lines on my bike - get through the WOF (MOT equivalent) no probs.

I THINK you need lines with DOT markings on them. Mine have a plastic sleeve with a number/letter code on it - D427TTFG-12TR or whatever. Which makes them road legal.

I don't know if HEL lines are DOT compliant. HEL are obviously a good product, but bureaucracy is bureaucracy is bureaucracy.

You'll need to get the bike certified before you can legally take it one the road. This will probably be the difficult bit, as everything will get checked quite carefully. Once the bike is certified, all you need is a WOF every 6 months, and thats a piece of piss to get through. However, pick and choose your WOF tester carefully - there's some that don't know one end of a bike from the other.

BTW, my wife's from the IoW, so you have my sympathies.

kinger
10th April 2007, 08:34
Cheers El bloke.
It's too late to do anything else now, the bikes all clean and shiney, so it's all down to how much I've got to pay to who and then wait to get mobile again.
Any Taupo members, feel free to recommend a WoF station.
Hope to get to the Taupo trackday, even a spectator role is gonna get me grinning. Really rather gutted when my Gixxer1000 buddy phoned for a run this morning, and had to decline.

sarahtvet
26th June 2007, 14:12
Hey kinger
Welcome to KB n NZ. Just moved to palmie myself, arrived early june and bike still in UK :-( Have already had some great days out with the ashurst boys and we met up with the wellington winter solstice ride on sunday fantastic. Will be totally spoilt compared to UK , not sure about IOW roads myself.

Any advice on who to ship with? My brother is organising most of it but asked me to see if anybody who had tried it had any suggestions?

Look forward to meeting up on the road soon!!!

kinger
1st July 2007, 17:52
Ah, just seen this mate.
Ignore the last bit of the PM.
Welcome, enjoy.:yes: