PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me, Akl council

Big Dave
3rd April 2007, 08:53
Don't do as Sydney - and then do as Sydney and 'promote'.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/city-scoots-bikers-off-the-footpath/2007/04/02/1175366158731.html

Pwalo
3rd April 2007, 10:31
Move to Wellington. Weather's interesting, but the parking's not too bad for bikes.

Big Dave
3rd April 2007, 10:37
Move to Wellington. Weather's interesting, but the parking's not too bad for bikes.

Lol - Always been high on list of priorities seeing I work from home.

Point is the council should be doing more to encourage people to ride bikes and scooters.

Somewhere to park them - duh!

Waylander
3rd April 2007, 10:44
Or Tauranga where there is pretty much a bike park every 50ft or so downtown.

Ixion
3rd April 2007, 11:28
This came up in Dorkland years ago. We fixed it.

You just need a few bikers 100 is a good number but they don't all have to be present at once.

You pick a series of places where parking is at a premium. Then a bunch of bikers (a few dozen at least) congregate on that place and steadily take over all the parks. One bike per parking space. Paying the meter if necessary.

Do the first place for a couple of days. Then move to the next one. After a week the council will be so deluged by cagers complaining about motorbikes hogging all the parking (legally but!) that they will pull their horns in. Nothing they can do. It's all legal.

Plus pressure from the cops sick of being called out to break up confrontations when some cager tries to move a bike.

But bikers was more bolshie then. I doubt Sydneysiders would fight back.

NZHog
3rd April 2007, 12:26
Worked in Dunedin a long time ago too :)

Forest
3rd April 2007, 16:33
Being able to park on the footpath was one of the things I loved about Melbourne.

Tram-tracks on the other hand...

breakaway
3rd April 2007, 18:56
So this is rant about some dude who got done for parking on the footpath?

It's common sense that you shouldn't do that.

Thats like saying "Oops I killed someone but I didn't know I wasn't allowed to do that. Can I please get off this time?"

At my old place, the street was very narrow, and everyone used to park half their car on the footpath. By everyone, I mean almost every house. One day, all the offending cars (including my mum's car) got stung. ~$100 fine. We wrote to the council and got it sorted, didn't have to pay.

How many of you can honestly say that "you didn't know" that parking on the footpath is illegal?

Big Dave
3rd April 2007, 19:07

You missed the point.

It's common sense for the authority to provide adequate designated parking.
And that should be at the expense of provisions for single occupier vehicle weighing over...say 1.5 tonnes.

Ixion
3rd April 2007, 23:39

Thats like saying "Oops I killed someone but I didn't know I wasn't allowed to do that. Can I please get off this time?"

At my old place, the street was very narrow, and everyone used to park half their car on the footpath. By everyone, I mean almost every house. One day, all the offending cars (including my mum's car) got stung. ~$100 fine. We wrote to the council and got it sorted, didn't have to pay.

How many of you can honestly say that "you didn't know" that parking on the footpath is illegal?

Dude,it's a BIKE.

Bikes always park on the footpath. It's a natural law and a God given right.

I always park on the footpath never have had a ticket for it.

fjones
4th April 2007, 09:44
Man I wish I never read this thread... I didn't know it was illegal parking on the footpath!

DAMN!

Big Dave
4th April 2007, 12:49
DAMN!

Do it anyway. But be smart about it.

cowpoos
16th April 2007, 19:15
Or Tauranga where there is pretty much a bike park every 50ft or so downtown.
go back to canada

Sanx
16th April 2007, 19:37
I got two tickets on the XR250 for parking on the pavement in Newmarket. When I queried it, they said it was because the weight of vehicles damages the pavement, which is designed for pedestrians.
I wrote back to them and pointed out that my bike weighed less than half the population of South Auckland.
Tickets were cancelled, but with a warning not to park on the pavements again.

Bnonn
17th April 2007, 08:22
You can see that if bikes park on the pavement a lot, the combined effect of their sidestands could start causing potholes. But honestly, that's a pretty lame excuse. You can also see that bikes parking directly on a footpath throughway will be an obstruction to pedestrian traffic. But parking in a nook on the sidewalk ought to be legal—particularly given the complete lack of motorcycle parking generally provided by our councils.

I was recently parked in a wee cranny between two large square decorative flower-beds on Anglesea Street. A place where no one was going to walk. I returned to my bike as a parking warden was approaching, and as I was getting on he told me that would be a $100 fine. Ridiculous. I drove away before he could give it to me.

SPman
17th April 2007, 13:35

Fucking bullshit! What a load of cobblers. I have parked on the footpath in Auckland for the last 10 yrs at least. I have never had trouble and I've been told by several wardens, that, as long as I don't block the thoroughfare, they're happy with that. If there is no parking on the road verge, I will continue to do so, as well.

Sanx
17th April 2007, 16:58
So this is rant about some dude who got done for parking on the footpath? It's common sense that you shouldn't do that.

A comment of quite mind-blowing stupidity. Congratulations for winning dumb schmuck of the week. Of course, parking on the footpath is exactly like murder. That's why such dangerous footpath-parkers get banged up and ass-raped for the next 17 years.

Perhaps you should apply for a job with Land Transport New Zealand. You can write the copy for the next batch of their anti-speeding propoganda adverts: "I used to be good honest criminal. I bashed old ladies and stole their life-savings. I ran protection rackets and knee-capped store owners who didn't pay up. Then I was stopped at 110kph on the motorway. The judge said my behaviour was like going on a killing spree through a kindergarden. I'm truly repentent. Must go - they're warming up the gallows."

The Lone Rider
15th July 2008, 11:43
Today while going to a mall to buy lunch and go to post shop, I parked my bike next to a bicycle stand where I have been for the last year and have seen other bikes also parking in.

One of the little trolley boys/parking blobs came up to me and said I can't park there. I replied thats to bad because I've been parking there for a year and had no problems and had even seen harleys lined up there. Came back 10 minutes later to this place that was blocking nothing and didn't even have a bicycle there and I had a ticket from "Parking Enforement Services"

boomer
15th July 2008, 11:55
Today while going to a mall to buy lunch and go to post shop, I parked my bike next to a bicycle stand where I have been for the last year and have seen other bikes also parking in.

One of the little trolley boys/parking blobs came up to me and said I can't park there. I replied thats to bad because I've been parking there for a year and had no problems and had even seen harleys lined up there. Came back 10 minutes later to this place that was blocking nothing and didn't even have a bicycle there and I had a ticket from "Parking Enforement Services"
ahahha, what did it say on the back..?? "thats to bad because I've been giving parking tickets for years?!"

pwn3d!

The Lone Rider
15th July 2008, 11:59
Ticket said nothing but the kid said something like go park in one of the car spaces, but that is ridiculous as the parking lot is always packed except for early morning or late night and the cars drivers don't appreciate you using up their spaces and get rather tiffy about it - didn't explain that to him though. Would have just got a blank face back. Theres no bike parking labeled anywhere.

The Lone Rider
15th July 2008, 13:06
Well just had an email back from management of the shopping facility - they were very polite but claimed the motorcycle parking were the spaces near where the shopping trolley stands are. Not because they were sign posted. They said they are motorcycle parking because the spaces are slightly smaller than the others and they had seen motorcycles there before.

And they are canceling the ticket.

Thumbs up to them, for at least taking effort to understand.

I've written back and suggested they actually label those spaces as motorcycle parking as there is none otherwise.

TOTO
15th July 2008, 15:40
ahhh.

I wanna do a group protest. Noone at the councils are taking the point. I say we block the CBD parking spaces around the city council building and queen street and the others.

like Jesus said: "Someone organise it, and they will come"

Not sure if it was Jesus but anyhow , we need to do something about this...

Ixion
15th July 2008, 20:47
Uppity trolley-kid needs a good clip upside the head.

The Lone Rider
15th July 2008, 23:21
Uppity trolley-kid needs a good clip upside the head.

Yeah, I was thinking about it at work. I'd never seen the guy there before so I'm guessing just a school holiday job? As a local in the area I know quite a few of the Pak N Save staff (especially the girls :love:) and few others in there that ride bikes and of course the OTHER trolley boys know me as I frequent nearly everyday.

Had another email back - the manager person said they are actually in the process of making a large motorcycle parking area near one of the entrances which I believe as they have been making massive renovations to part of the building and surroundings to the entrance.

southernmike
16th July 2008, 10:19
Spoke to the parking Naz(oops person) in Oamaru and he doesn't write tickets for bikes unless they're being assholes. Not that parking is an issue down here LOL

BTW move to north otago dave. I did from AK about three years ago. No rain, great roads, still too many cops!

sinfull
16th July 2008, 10:39
This came up in Dorkland years ago. We fixed it.

You just need a few bikers 100 is a good number but they don't all have to be present at once.

You pick a series of places where parking is at a premium. Then a bunch of bikers (a few dozen at least) congregate on that place and steadily take over all the parks. One bike per parking space. Paying the meter if necessary.

Do the first place for a couple of days. Then move to the next one. After a week the council will be so deluged by cagers complaining about motorbikes hogging all the parking (legally but!) that they will pull their horns in. Nothing they can do. It's all legal.

Plus pressure from the cops sick of being called out to break up confrontations when some cager tries to move a bike.

But bikers was more bolshie then. I doubt Sydneysiders would fight back.
Sounds like a plan forming !

You missed the point.

It's common sense for the authority to provide adequate designated parking.
And that should be at the expense of provisions for single occupier vehicle weighing over...say 1.5 tonnes. Imagine the cars that would be replaced by bikes/scooters during the summer (say winter would bring the cars back into the city centre) if the auk councill allowed parking on the footpath outside your place of employ and advertised it !

raftn
16th July 2008, 13:42
I think personally that auckland is is not to bad, i have never had a ticket for parking on the pavement, but saying that the bike spaces the better.

southernmike
16th July 2008, 13:49
Hell, this is almost sensible:

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=140&pg=3862

I remember when they tried to change it and all the motorcyclist turned up early one morning to take all the car parks.

The Lone Rider
28th July 2008, 12:57
Got a letter today from the parking enforcement company for that mall.

Says they have waived the fine.

My advice to others, contact the big wig of either the company that owns the land you got the fine on, or the people who are in charge of handling the fines. Be polite, be realistic, and be innocent :D

Clockwork
28th July 2008, 14:31
Just curious but what authority does a private company/individual have to levy fines? Or have I misunderstood Lone Rider's post?

The Lone Rider
29th July 2008, 00:47
Just curious but what authority does a private company/individual have to levy fines? Or have I misunderstood Lone Rider's post?

None, they will just tow my bike if I park it again on site and the ticket will eventually get sent to a creditor/collection agent and give be a bad credit rating. Not all that bad since I don't put things on HP or get loans. But always good to keep my perfect credit rating perfect.

Clockwork
29th July 2008, 05:46
Ok Thanks. It just seems to me you can't report a bad debt for something you have no legal right to.

Of course, if you think otherwise.... have I told you of the $150 penalty I charge people for living in or around Christchurh. I will accept a chequq, by the way.

The Lone Rider
29th July 2008, 11:10
Ok Thanks. It just seems to me you can't report a bad debt for something you have no legal right to.

Of course, if you think otherwise.... have I told you of the $150 penalty I charge people for living in or around Christchurh. I will accept a chequq, by the way.

I believe I pay that penalty with my house rates! $250 some odd dollars every what.. 4 months? And from what I can tell from other people.. $250 ain't even that bad!