PDA

View Full Version : Manfield, 29/06/03

Racey Rider
24th June 2003, 18:05
It's Come! The long awaited Race licence is Here! :banana:

So I'll be there! Rain or shine. :niceone:

I only hope Spankme won't be there to see my first ride, or he might change my name to: "Not-so Racey Rider" :o

But if I do well, Then I'll let you no what # my bike was! :rolleyes:

bluninja
24th June 2003, 18:29
Good on yer:D

So what class you racing in? I'll be there, on my yellow SV650 trying out my new suspension mods, and I reckon Dave and Mitch should be there. So Kiwibiker will be represented in 125GP, F3, Clubmans and.....??? whatever class you are in. There was a rumour that WKID would be having his first race there, but I've not heard any news recently. Look out for bikes #70, 47, 17.

TTFN

bluninja
24th June 2003, 18:31
BTW have you sent in your entry forms for Manfeild as they have to be there a week in advance?

TTFN

Racey Rider
24th June 2003, 18:45
Yep, Got it in last week, in the hope that my licence would come through!
As this is my first race meet, I'll just take my 150 along for a run in "Streetstocks". :)

wkid_one
24th June 2003, 22:53
Yep Si - my license came through last week - yay for me......dunno if I will be there tho - VTR is bottoming the headers out on corners and I have nearly ground a hole through the pipe on the right hand side - oops.  Also - had a guy frabricating a new joint for the shifter so I could run the box upside down for the left hander (VTR's are arseholes and you can't just turn everything upside down as there is no clearance)- but he is fucking me around.  Will try and be there tho regardless - weather permitting - to support the other KB's racing.  Finances are the other big inhibiting factor at the mo.

:niceone::niceone::niceone:

Dave
25th June 2003, 10:39
Sorry guys, This isn't on my test schedule for this year.
Doing alot of suspension work,also new fairings arriving soon-need to paint and signwrite.I'll be at the following manfield small track normal direction round.Otherwise it'll be sneaky private test sessions all over the country.

750Y
25th June 2003, 11:51
hey wicked one, "bottoming out?", I thought You just had Your front suspension done? was that on a different bike?

bluninja
25th June 2003, 14:03
Wkid, what left hander? on the Manfeild short track there's only a left hander in the esses and the hairpin. I will be trying out my new suspension out at Manfield, which will be interesting as I won't have chance to ride the bike before race day. Will be interesting to see if I better last years lap time from the one meet I did there. If I do then I won't know if it's suspension, weight loss, or improved skill/experience; but then who cares. If it's slower then it will be down to the weather, or the new suspension.:D

BTW I'm taking the bike down on a trailer that carries 2/3 bikes. If anyone else is going from Auckland and needs a lift get in touch with me. I'm leaving midday Sat and returning straight after the races finish 027 483 2030.

TTFN

Racey Rider
26th June 2003, 13:54
Originally posted by Dave
Sorry guys, This isn't on my test schedule for this year.

WHAT! Not guner be there! :gob:
But I was guner use you as my pace setter! :yes:

As the 125s and 150s run together, the plan was, to let Dave pass me once, then sit on his tail for a couple of laps, followed by a perfect "pull out of the slipstream" manover from the final corner!

O-well,,,, I'll just have to image it happening on the day! :niceone: :rockon:

Dave
26th June 2003, 17:56
If you sat on my tail last time at manfield,you would've been picking earth worms out of your socks.

SPman
27th June 2003, 22:55
Originally posted by Racey Rider
It's Come!
So I'll be there! Rain or shine. :niceone:

Looks like your first option may be it....:D

wkid_one
1st July 2003, 17:02
Yeah - did the front - but still doing it - jacked the back up 5mm which seems to have helped.

I thought it was the long track??  The left hander to the new section is shit - no matter how I run it I need to change - and last time I tried I left half my boot on the track cause there wasn't enuf room.

The VTR will be gone soon anyway....so no need to worry about it no more

Mitch
2nd July 2003, 11:44
Wkid_one that's my favourite corner on the long track!!!!  I was lucky enough to follow Hayden Fitzgerald through there once (as he lapped me in practise :D ) and it helped a hell of a lot!!!!  Get someone who knows the line to take you through there, it will help!!!!!!!.  It really is an exciting corner, heading straight for a concrete wall isn't something you get to do everyday.  :p

Coldkiwi
2nd July 2003, 12:43
..unless you cock up going over the hill at puke....

gpercivl
2nd July 2003, 17:00
or someone takes you out at 190k :(

Coldkiwi
2nd July 2003, 17:55
oooo, that doesn't sound good! what happened?

wkid_one
4th July 2003, 13:35
Nothing wrong with my line through the corner at all - just the fact I can't change gear part way through like I want to cause no clearance to get my foot under the lever - hence wanting upside down box.  I like the corner - just shit camber considering all the first part of the track is cambered and that isn't/.

750Y
4th July 2003, 15:52
just the fact I can't change gear part way through like I want to cause no clearance to get my foot under the lever - hence wanting upside down box.

Perhaps You could just look at calculating different gearing if that's an area where you are losing a lot of time due to not being able to change up?

gpercivl
8th July 2003, 12:19
You might want to try getting it into the gear you want before you crank it over for the corner. I usually change down while I'm upright braking hard and using the low gear for rear wheel enging braking.

This makes it much smoother when you're cranked way over at the apex as you're already in the right gear and should have already started applying power so that the rear is 'squatted'.

Changing gear mid-corner upsets the weight balance, attitude, and a few other things which can really compromise your traction at this critical point!

Cheers, Greg

gpercivl
8th July 2003, 12:26
The 190kph 'off' wasn't exactly fun, I was cranked over for the right hander coming onto the front straight at Puke during the F2 TT, when another rider came in underneath me and hooked up the leathers on my right elbow...instantly straightening me up into the wall:D

The bike hit the wall, and my body, the last wool bail! All I remember is seeing the fence come at me, then I was talking to Dad in the ambulence about 25mins later.

Needless to say racing can be dangerous but I came out with minor injuries and still have awesome fun at the track...

bluninja
8th July 2003, 13:20
Ouch.....I guess you won't leave room underneath next time:gob:

So got any clues for the lines at Manfeild in reverse?

TTFN

wkid_one
8th July 2003, 17:19
V'Twin runs out of revs even if I short change before the corner - unless I do in sixth - but I could run around the beginning of the corner quicker. 

Kwaka-Kid
8th July 2003, 19:44
hmm, i was previously changing mostly before the corners on pukekohe, but after reading keith codes twist of the wrist (And also own mechanical desicion) think of all that pressure of near redline downchaning/engine brakeing, the engine ISNT A BRAKE (as keith code states rather often:)) - altho i personally was using it was one, i have changed my ways, i have no real trouble on pukekohe with normal box, except for the left hander b4 front strieght i somtimes feel, i seem to get just near redline and want to change but its more the fact that i know i shudnt as when i take the next right hand onto the front streight on the ZXR400 redline in that gear (3rd or 4th, cant member) its about my limit for how far over i can lean (not very far) and end up shooting out a little further then often feels comfortable, so wouldnt want to be going any faster (i.e upchanging sooner and not just holding revs near redline for few seconds) atm with current (well hopefully will retire them and get new tyres) tyres on the bike.

Whats your guys opinions on turning the box upsidedown? i personally dread the thought, and think its not habbit/natural to do it the way it is and therefore will generally be faster during a lap.  however i understand a bit about the left hand corner thingy, i spose you are all leaning 10x lower then me as i reckon even the lowest ive been i can still get my big toe under there and change.

Dave
9th July 2003, 09:21
Piece of piss, I can't understand why roadbikes aren't all race pattern.I can get off my race bike(race pattern) and onto a motorcross bike(conventional) and then ride my Indian(left hand throttle,left foot clutch,right hand gear change) with out problems.
As all bikes feel different to sit on your brain gets used to which style you need for which bike your sitting on.
As you start to get better with more lean angle you'll find more tracks that you need to change up gears coming through long fast corners-Puke (left hander up to frt straight)Taupo (long l/h sweeper) manfield (left onto long track) ruapuna (sweeper onto frt straight) teretonga(long long horseshoe sweeper)
They all have one so you might as well get used to it.
When you first start racing, do 2 meetings to get used to the bike then change it-any longer and you'll start getting too familiar and not want to change.

gpercivl
9th July 2003, 10:30
I agree with Dave, your brain pretty much gets used to what riding style you're doing and adjusts accordingly. When I'm on my road bike with conventional shift pattern, then switch to the race bike once a month it's like flicking a switch in your brain and there's not a problem :rolleyes:

Coldkiwi
9th July 2003, 17:53
i have yet to try switching the linkage over on the road but discovered I could almost by accident when adjusting the gear lever for my new race boots that didn't bend in the calf. It really makes a lot of sense although it could possibly be a bit of a pain having to lift it into 1st gear if doing a lot of city riding.. still.. i've mastered my commuting route into the city to minimise the lights so I should really give it a try :)