PDA

View Full Version : Paint flaking off fairing

SpankMe
4th April 2007, 13:10
Anyone had this happen? Took the bike to the car wash to clean all the bugs/mud off from the ride back from Christchurch and the high pressure hoses stripped the paint off the front fairing. :angry:

I've already taken it in to Coleman's to get them to replace it under warranty and they are waiting to hear back from Suzuki.

shafty
4th April 2007, 13:20
Big BUGGER Mate, hope it is taken care of - I'll be keen to hear the result.

Toaster
4th April 2007, 13:20
Good grief! I didn't have that problem with the K6 (grey) and it got plenty of washing. I wonder if it's an issue with that particular batch of black paint they used.

Did the bike have a clear coat over the black paint at all? That usually protects the main colour from early decay/fading.

The_Dover
4th April 2007, 13:37
that's why I dont wash my shitheap suzuki piece of crap

imdying
4th April 2007, 13:57
Now you know why Suzuki can build such performance for such a good price... there's where the extra $2000 between the R1 and GSXR1000 goes...

Having said that, even given Suzuki's crap paint as of late, it is interesting the way it has let go.

Macktheknife
4th April 2007, 17:06
I never use high pressure hoses on bikes for this exact reason. Best of luck getting it sorted mate, not a nice thing to happen to such a sexy bike.

limbimtimwim
4th April 2007, 17:27
Eeek!!

Right, lucky I don't have a water blaster or that would have happened ages ago.

I let the shop clean mine every 6000ks or so...

crazefox
4th April 2007, 17:57
Yeah mate its common.Paint does not stick as well to plastic as it does too steel of steel type primer.
The plastic primer they use on the fairings is porus and if water get under it from a stone chip or something it wont take much to lift the paint of.
Hence the waterblaster

Mr. Peanut
4th April 2007, 18:05
To the horror of my local dealership, the paint peeled off with the price sticker on a brand new KTM990 Supermoto :done:

I was surprised how light the thing felt though. Felt no heavier than the NSR really.

crazefox
4th April 2007, 18:39
yip i have heard that one as well

xwhatsit
4th April 2007, 21:16
Ah... and has this happened to your GB?00?

Naked+Honda=not a Suzuki

crazefox
6th April 2007, 16:26
What u on:gob: :gob:

KLOWN
6th April 2007, 17:27
up here in dorkland, I have taken my bike to a place called wash world and have used the high pressure hose and I had no paint coming off. It was powerful enough to blast all my frame clean and sprokets and chain and wheels. No effort on my part. But paint was still mint after.

What?
6th April 2007, 20:09
Ah... and has this happened to your GB?00?

Naked+Honda=not a Suzuki

You are going to get Spanked for that...

Mr. Peanut
7th April 2007, 09:17
yip i have heard that one as well

I saw it happen!! :done:
Awesome bike bro, love the z1000. New one aint so flash.

beyond
9th April 2007, 22:43
up here in dorkland, I have taken my bike to a place called wash world and have used the high pressure hose and I had no paint coming off. It was powerful enough to blast all my frame clean and sprokets and chain and wheels. No effort on my part. But paint was still mint after.

Errrmmmm..... never water blast your chain mate unless of course you really want to have to buy a new one. Most modern chains have sealed O rings and you screw them with water blasting so they wear quicker. :(

texmo
10th April 2007, 09:21
Errrmmmm..... never water blast your chain mate unless of course you really want to have to buy a new one. Most modern chains have sealed O rings and you screw them with water blasting so they wear quicker. :(

Getting water into your rear wheel bearing can be a bit of a bummer too.

T.I.E
10th April 2007, 09:39
my k7 svs, the lower fairing has its paint flaking off. first with scuff tape. fair enough its tacky shit, then more peeled off with pain masking tape (totally new area) and third someone cleaned my bike with a water blaster and more fell off. all on the lower fairing piece.
suzuki are gonna repaint it. but thats why the bike was so cheap, didnt look like any primer was used, and the plastic fairing did not look like it was even scuffed to help adhesion.
not impressed. what a shame.

SpankMe
12th April 2007, 09:58
Coleman's just rung to say they have received a new fairing for me :D Will get it replaced next week.

Matt Bleck
12th April 2007, 10:31
good news spank!

KLOWN
20th April 2007, 00:46

good to know. My chain and sprockets needed to be replaced anyway so no lasting damage done. But won't do it again.

steved
20th April 2007, 10:47
good to know. My chain and sprockets needed to be replaced anyway so no lasting damage done. But won't do it again.
I have a couple of front sprockets for this bike which I forgot about when you bought it. Come over and have a look at them if you like. :yes:

KLOWN
21st April 2007, 16:56
I have a couple of front sprockets for this bike which I forgot about when you bought it. Come over and have a look at them if you like. :yes:

sweet. will do.