PDA

View Full Version : Someone help with the Ducati dilemma...

surfchick
4th April 2007, 19:16
Hi crew,
me just passed my full TODAY. yay. I'd really love some advice from either the triumph crew or the ducati crew-
I'm looking at next bike, don't care much for working my way up the cc's slowly figure i'll get there on whatever...so at the end of the day I really want anything in the ducati 916-998 range, would prefer not to spend more than 15k but walked in on a triumph 675 and thought hmmm. liked both, will test all of them, but I really want to hear from anyone with these older ducatis - maintanace actual costs and experiences as at the end of the day they seem to have unsurpassed beauty-but almost everyone is warning me off them due to fickle engine and gearbox stuff. I would actually have to commute on this bike though so how you ducati riders find that? Also I'm 5'7" and only 60kg so wondered if it might feel a bit heavy into corners..? opinion here?
any comments would be really appreciated as the sensible part of me goes-go newer and a bit cheaper in the jappers, but OMG the beauty of the ducatis... :gob: heeeeeeeeelp

James Deuce
4th April 2007, 19:20
Get a 748. Exactly the same as a 916/996/998 except it's much easier to ride on the road. Maintain it properly and it will love you back. Treat it like a Suzuki and it will break its chain and dump its engine oil all over the back tyre in the same corner at the same time.

Ignore the naysayers. Do something mildly outrageous.

Grahameeboy
4th April 2007, 19:23
Get a 748. Exactly the same as a 916/996/998 except it's much easier to ride on the road. Maintain it properly and it will love you back. Treat it like a Suzuki and it will break its chain and dump its engine oil all over the back tyre in the same corner at the same time.

Ignore the naysayers. Do something mildly outrageous.

So buy an SV1000S......can ride like a Suzuki and it will not break

surfchick
4th April 2007, 19:24
cheers jim- i did wonder about that- they're a bit cheaper too... I'm more into corners than straight line speed soo might not miss the engine size? plus i'm small so that's gotta count for something ;)
x

surfchick
4th April 2007, 19:26
So buy an SV1000S......can ride like a Suzuki and it will not break

might take one for a spin... jill's got one eh?

Grahameeboy
4th April 2007, 19:28
might take one for a spin... jill's got one eh?

Yep and me too...best value for money bike....

James Deuce
4th April 2007, 19:28
Every review of the 748 I've read has commented on how much nicer the 748 is to ride on the road and how nice the 916 series is on the track.

I've ridden a hot 748S and it was both nicer to ride and quicker than the 916 I've ridden. The 748 has had a LOT of money spent on it though :)

The 748 engine spins up a lot quicker with fewer vibes than the 9 series engine IMO.

Plus the yellow ones with the white stripe and gold piping look fantastic.

Don't listen to Graham, he's just being a Suzuki zealot. :)

Keystone19
4th April 2007, 19:29
Yep Alex - I've got one - feel free to swing by and take it for a spin anytime.

Personally, I'd go for the Triumph 675 but they're all a bit different in riding position from what you've been on ! Might take a bit of getting used to.

About time you got that license too! Congrats by the way! When we going riding?

Grahameeboy
4th April 2007, 19:29
Every review of the 748 I've read has commented on how much nicer the 748 is to ride on the road and how nice the 916 series is on the track.

I've ridden a hot 748S and it was both nicer to ride and quicker than the 916 I've ridden. The 748 has had a LOT of money spent on it though :)

The 748 engine spins up a lot quicker with fewer vibes than the 9 series engine IMO.

Plus the yellow ones with the white stripe and gold piping look fantastic.

Don't listen to Graham, he's just being a Suzuki zealot. :)

So where is your Ducati garaged Sir Jim..............

James Deuce
4th April 2007, 19:34
Too old and fat to enjoy riding one for more than 30 minutes.

Plus that broken neck thing makes it a literal pain in the neck to ride a sprotsbike for long.

Grahameeboy
4th April 2007, 19:38
Too old and fat to enjoy riding one for more than 30 minutes.

Plus that broken neck thing makes it a literal pain in the neck to ride a sprotsbike for long.

You youngsters................

rogson
4th April 2007, 19:40
If you want to impress your girlfriends/boyfriends at the coffee shop - who know nothing about bikes but believe in brands - buy a Ducati.
If you want to be a cool chick buy a Triumph.
If you want value for money buy Japanese.

Simple really.

slowpoke
4th April 2007, 19:45
Personally I don't see the attraction with the 748's.
They are, for all intents and purposes, identical to a 916/996 except for 20 less horsepower. Sure it's a revier (is that even a word?) motor but why would you pay similar money for less grunt and less rideability. The extra torque with the bigger bikes makes 'em much more forgiving, especially once you've done the mandatory mod of gearing it for more real world speeds rather sticking with the the moonshot OEM sprockets.
Reliability isn't a problem if the thing is mantained, but the actual maintenance is more expensive.
The biggest drawback, especially for a less experienced rider is the limited steering lock. I can almost guarantee you'll drop the thing at a service station, or in a carpark, or doing a U-turn, especially if you are shorter in the leg and can't give it a quick "Ducati dab" with a foot as you reach full lock with too much lean. They really are a shocker in that regard.

Please don't take it as a put down and it sounds cliche'd but if you have to ask about a comparison between a Ducati and something a bit more mainstream then it's probably not for you. You either want a Duke or you don't.

They are more maintenance intensive, more expensive to maintain, harder to maintain, less powerful, heavier than their "opposition" but on a nice day, on the right road nothing quite compares.

slowpoke
4th April 2007, 19:48
Yep and me too...best value for money bike....

Hahaha, having a look at the stubs in my cheque book the whole "value for money" thing went out the window a loooooong way down the road......

JimO
4th April 2007, 20:34
If you want to impress your girlfriends/boyfriends at the coffee shop - who know nothing about bikes but believe in brands - buy a Ducati.
If you want to be a cool chick buy a Triumph.
If you want value for money buy Japanese.

Simple really.

what are you saying when you buy a harley

The_Dover
4th April 2007, 20:36

that you're impotent?

James Deuce
4th April 2007, 20:51
Personally I don't see the attraction with the 748's.
They are, for all intents and purposes, identical to a 916/996 except for 20 less horsepower. Sure it's a revier (is that even a word?) motor but why would you pay similar money for less grunt and less rideability. The extra torque with the bigger bikes makes 'em much more forgiving, especially once you've done the mandatory mod of gearing it for more real world speeds rather sticking with the the moonshot OEM sprockets.

Actually I thoroughly disagree with that and find the 748 to be a better bike than the 9 series. You'd think the 9 series would be more torquey but the 748 is way easier to ride on the throttle.

IMO of course

Fatjim
4th April 2007, 22:05
998's rock!

surfchick
4th April 2007, 22:33
Yep Alex - I've got one - feel free to swing by and take it for a spin anytime.

Personally, I'd go for the Triumph 675 but they're all a bit different in riding position from what you've been on ! Might take a bit of getting used to.

About time you got that license too! Congrats by the way! When we going riding?

damn straight they're a different riding position, soooo can't wait to get out of the lounge suite position and mine's not even that bad! absolutely love to go for a spin-also i'd love to have a wee run on yours ;) easter could be the go...

Keystone19
4th April 2007, 22:37
Yep, I'm away until Monday - are you working Tuesday or AUT got the day off?

Should be around Monday afternoon though? Txt me or something and we'll arrange it.

'bout time we got you out on the track too isn't it!!!

surfchick
4th April 2007, 22:41
Yep, I'm away until Monday - are you working Tuesday or AUT got the day off?

Should be around Monday afternoon though? Txt me or something and we'll arrange it.

'bout time we got you out on the track too isn't it!!!

funny you should mention the track-so wanna go there, just couldn't be bothered with the way my current bike's suspension is. i bank it right over and then the malching begins...don't care too much but someday I'll come unstuck if i keep on it ;) time for bigggger and more powerful things ;)
i got a nu cell no 0211036110 - I'll have lost yours due to mine getting nicked last year at the beach!

Keystone19
4th April 2007, 22:44
OK, got it, now edit yer post and delete yer number - just in case!!

I'll txt ya so you have mine...

Track day on Wednesday next week at Pukekohe - or...because you'll have yer new bike by then, there is always the KB day in May...

Kickaha
4th April 2007, 23:05
-but almost everyone is warning me off them due to fickle engine and gearbox stuff.

how many of those people have actually owned one long term?

spudchucka
5th April 2007, 06:55
Being a recent Ducati convert I'd have to say have you considered a Monster.

Lower seat height, simpler engine, air cooled, two valves, lower maintenance costs, better torque & mid range = more fun & better value.

Kflasher
5th April 2007, 07:20
Hey dude, being an ex 748r owner, I can offer this:
1. Good spread of power throughout (plenty for road use)
2. Feels free-er that the 916-998 (i.e. revs out better)
3. Commuting not so good due to riding position (race stance)
4. Fully adjustable suspension front and back (typical most bike nowadays)
5. Take note on maintenance (i.e. de-chroming of rockers was common)
6. Very good track day bike (small mods – chip exhaust)

I only sold it due to the v-twin power caristics, I personally refer the inline 4 feel, great bike overall, with plenty of trouble free miles (just do the reqd. maintenance).

p.s. I still have spare fairings/ stand if you keen.

idb
5th April 2007, 07:54
I personally wouldn't consider any Ducati sprotsbike for communting.

Devil
5th April 2007, 07:58
There's a brand new Triumph Daytona 955i in BLACK sitting in Holeshot at the moment, they're asking $16,999 but expect they could be talked down.
:crybaby:
I want it :(

Paul in NZ
5th April 2007, 08:53
I'd worry a bit less about the name on the tank and a bit more about why you want the bike. If you are going to be mainly commuting on it, I'd personally would not consider either one.

The 748 / 675 have a pretty radical riding position (for me) which is probably OK for a young, sporty type like yourself but it does make it a pain in traffic for me (even turning the head to look over the shoulder is harder).... Long term, I could not face riding them on my 100km commute every day - but then I'm a fat old man (still got me looks though). Ultimately you decide of course but try them, the 675 has a surprisingly high seat.

BOTH of those bikes will require some personal involvement and setting up to get the best of them but both are bloody gorgeous and I'd be proud to own either as incredible toys. The sound the 675 makes as it winds out is like a drug, a BAD drug that would make me OD and I'd be on the train or walking within a month..... sigh...

Paul N

old fat and badly behaved....

MikeyG
5th April 2007, 09:05
Fire flame a PM. Shes owned many a ducati in the 748 and 916-998 range.

Her_C4
5th April 2007, 10:26
What does your heart say? I recently owned a Ducati 748 (yellow:love: ) as well as a Honda 600F4i. You cannot really compare oranges with apples and expect to get a clear direction. I loved both bikes :sunny: for very different reasons.

I totally loved the sound (termi's) look and feel of my Ducati which had a character all of its own - but I am 5ft 3 in the shade and as many here can attest, :shutup: I had difficulty manouvering it about at low speed (or stopped even) as I did not have a good grip on the ground :shit: and therefore struggled with the weight.

As Paul says, I too had difficulty seeing behind me as in order to ride I basically leant ON the tank in order to reach the controls - looking behind me properly and keeping clutch / throttle control was impossible. The riding position can also be unforgiving for those of us that are older and have joints that are not as free as they used to be :sunny:

The Honda was great to do anything on - anywhere..... but had no personality.

At the end of the day though, you are not me. You are younger, presumably fitter and taller :yes: (and in my opinion), how you FEEL on the bike should be the decider, not the name on the tank :yes: Now go out and ride all bikes - all models before yoiu decide and have fun......:Punk:

Good luck with your decision :rockon:

slowpoke
5th April 2007, 10:46
Being a recent Ducati convert I'd have to say have you considered a Monster.

Lower seat height, simpler engine, air cooled, two valves, lower maintenance costs, better torque & mid range = more fun & better value.

Yep, that's a good suggestion, mate. They are definitely on my "bikes to own before I die" list. It'd be way better for commuting...but I fear a chicky babe might find it "aesthetically challenging"......

Her_C4
5th April 2007, 10:56
but I fear a chicky babe might find it "aesthetically challenging"......

Huh?? Howzat then??? :gob:

I don't think Lynda Blair would agree with you given she owns two of 'em (an 800 and a 1000). :yes: :yes:

The Stranger
5th April 2007, 10:59
Have you spoken to Adam at Henderson Motorcycles or Kerry at Motohaus?

Both sell a lot of Ducatis both are bloody good guys and would know and give you the straight dope on servicing and running costs.

slowpoke
5th April 2007, 11:02
Here's something to stoke the fires of the 748 vs 9XX series bikes argument. Power and torque curves of standard 748, 916,996 and SPS series bikes.

748 strada green
748SP red
888 blue
916 purple
996 strada yellow
996SPS aqua

Roll on in any gear at any speed and the 748 (even the SP) is gonna be left behind by the bigger bikes. I'm not saying they aren't nice, just that useable torque is markedly down especially at the lower end of the range:

at 5k a 748 has approx. 38ft/lb (SP is worse)
at 5k a 916 has approx. 52ft/lb

The 748 may be smoother but you'll be using your left foot (and that heavy clutch) a lot more often.

slowpoke
5th April 2007, 11:13
Huh?? Howzat then??? :gob:

I don't think Lynda Blair would agree with you given she owns two of 'em (an 800 and a 1000). :yes: :yes:

I know it's a stoopid generalisation. I'm just going from my missus and other women I've spoken too all reckon a 748-998 style bike is "pretty" but are "take it or leave it" when it comes to the Monster range. I reckon they still look great.......S4R=drool.

I thought the seat height might be a bit better on a Monster but they are quite tall too, at around the770 - 800mm mark, much the same as the Superbikes (748-916 = 790mm)

Devil
5th April 2007, 11:47
Go the 955i!
It has power, torque and a beautiful sound. Yum!
Plus it's a Triumph and as stated previously, chicks on Triumphs are cool.

YLWDUC
5th April 2007, 11:56
My biased opinion is with the Ducati Monster, although I'd look for at least a 750. The steering lock is pathetic, but seat height is way low the ride is nice and upright. Just my 1.87 cents (rounded down for inflation)

JimO
5th April 2007, 12:19
pm desmo he is a Ducati man personally i like the Cagiva has the ducati looks with the Suzuki grunt and servising

crashe
5th April 2007, 12:35
Surfchick - CONGRATULATIONS on passing your full license.
Well done.

Good luck in finding your new bike that you want to ride....
Lots of tests rides huh.

What are you gonna do with your 250?
How many Kms have you put on her?

slowpoke
5th April 2007, 12:45
My biased opinion is with the Ducati Monster, although I'd look for at least a 750. The steering lock is pathetic, but seat height is way low the ride is nice and upright. Just my 1.87 cents (rounded down for inflation)

From memory I had to wind in +30mm of rear ride height (measured at the number plate) to get the 916 to turn something less like the Queen Mary, which doesn't bode well if you are only 5'4".

vifferman
5th April 2007, 13:10
From memory I had to wind in +30mm of rear ride height (measured at the number plate) to get the 916 to turn something less like the Queen Mary, which doesn't bode well if you are only 5'4".
OTOH, dropping the forks in the yokes as far as they can go without compromise clearance under full fork compression should achieve much the same thing, AND make the bike lowerer.

Masterchop
5th April 2007, 14:26

Your saying in a big loud voice IM AN A ACCOUNTANT HAVING A MID LIFE
CRISIS.

surfchick
5th April 2007, 15:48
Surfchick - CONGRATULATIONS on passing your full license.
Well done.

Good luck in finding your new bike that you want to ride....
Lots of tests rides huh.

What are you gonna do with your 250?
How many Kms have you put on her?-i put about 20000km up.

Ze trusty SRV is on TradeMe with the compulsory rant about how rad it is for a 250! In fact today I'm using it to videotape what I hope to be the biggest lane-split on mini-dv!I'm gonna ride CBD to coro turnoff filming the shot off the back of the bike in the eaSter traffic for an artwork. might be the last run i do on her!

surfchick
5th April 2007, 15:52
nar I'm 5 7" and nearly all the road bikes feel fine-except the superduke which is too tall. I'm reading all the posts with interest- unfortunately I'm just not going to go the monster road as I want a road bike. And I don't HAVE to commute on it so the lower stances should be passable on days when i do decide to-it was interesteing to read the posts about the shoulder glance being harder though...will check it on the test run-
x

SPman
5th April 2007, 16:42
Just go out there and ride a few, of all makes - you might be surprised what you'll actually end up on.

crashe
5th April 2007, 16:46
-i put about 20000km up.

Ze trusty SRV is on TradeMe with the compulsory rant about how rad it is for a 250! In fact today I'm using it to videotape what I hope to be the biggest lane-split on mini-dv!I'm gonna ride CBD to coro turnoff filming the shot off the back of the bike in the eaSter traffic for an artwork. might be the last run i do on her!

Wohooooo that be awesome to see.....

Take it easy out there doing it.

Devil
5th April 2007, 16:47
unfortunately I'm just not going to go the monster road as I want a road bike.
Eh? The monster is a road bike. :crazy:

spudchucka
5th April 2007, 21:02
unfortunately I'm just not going to go the monster road as I want a road bike.

Last time I checked it was still a road bike.

xwhatsit
5th April 2007, 21:03
I think she means sportsbike.

Or sprotsbiek, perhaps.

surfchick
6th April 2007, 08:23
yer i's a meaning sportsbike, had a spagetti brain moment-what I should have said is dat i've done my time on bikes without fairings ;) although I've had so little sleep lately it could have come out loadbike, sprutsbike, spratsbike, spudsbike, sportshike...
x

dragonz
11th April 2007, 17:16
My wife has a late model 750SS
She is about your size & weight
She absloutely loves it!!

You can get them full or half faired (hers is half faired, & it is a nice motor to look at)
& they are very good value for money.
I got a modified swingarm made for her, to lower the bike a little, cos she has no strength in one leg, & was a bit paranoid about dropping it at first.

I'm twice her weight, & over a foot taller, & I think it's a fun bike to ride also.
We looked at SV650's & all sorts of other bikes for her, but the duke was the one she really liked.
Maintenance costs are little different from any japanese bike (I have a TL1000S) & she loves it cos it rides so nicely, & is a really finely sculpted & finished bike.

You can follow your heart, & still have your head in control.
Don't listen to the nay-sayers.
She has commuted on it regularly, it is far more economical than my bike, & it is a great all-rounder.
My other reccomendation would be a monster.
Yes you don't have a fairing, but you certainly don't lose out on the 'sportsbike' ride quality or performance.

My advice is to get a leg over & ride a few bikes.
Go round a few different bike shops & ride as many bikes as you can.
One of them will leap out & say 'take me, I'm yours' in a way that the others won't.
then buy the best example of that bike that you can afford.
You'll never regret it!

Eddieb
11th April 2007, 19:02
Commuting in heavy traffic on a 9xx will kill you and the bike, they aren't designed for city riding. If you want to commute get something else.

The steering lock is shocking. It takes a 12-15 point turn to turn my bike around in the garage, and it's a proper width 'open the doors fully on both sides of the car' garage, not one of these modern skinny ones.

For servicing, new belts every ~20,000km or 2 years at ~$80 for belts (Can't remember if that is each or the pair) plus labour, change the oil and filter every ~5000km. I can't remember of the top of my head when the valves are due, got it written at home somewhere.
My last major service cost about $1800, but I had the belts and valves done, oil & filter, replaced a pile of gaskets, an injector and a few other bits at the same time.

I've had my 888 since 2003 and done about 16,000 miles on it. It's basically the grandfather of the 916. In that time the only actual failure I can recall is a bearing in the shock. It was a 12 year old bike by the time that failed though.

Buy one based on service history and condition, not mileage. Despite the servicing costs and other horror stories you can't beat riding a Ducati on a good day. Mine has been as reliable as any of the Jap bikes or BMW's I have owned, and more reliable than some.

flame
11th April 2007, 21:34
Ducati's are fantastic! at a guess Ive probably ridden upwards of 150,000 km's on them over the last 8 years. And I'd have to say the 998s was the best of the lot. 748sp was great fun, but lacked the top end of the bigger twin. Handling wise it's a close call though. The 748 being lighter and more flickable, may be an easier machine for a slight rider, though Im 5'8" and roughly 58kg and didn't find the bigger bike to be an issue in that respect, I think thats becoz they seem so well ballanced.
As for maintenance and probs.......1 electrical breakdown in total. Not bad, considering the bike in question was 10 years old. The ECU packed its pants, the Cost to fix was $200. Apart from expected things like shocks getting sad and rear brakes or clutch throwing the odd tanty, the Duc's don't really cause any more probs than any other brand. And my bikes wern't babied on the road. I guess thats why they have rev limiters:innocent:

The only issue I had with my ducati's was the servicing costs. I was never game enough to attempt working on them myself (my brain just dont wanna go there), but to me, having to pay $1000-1200 for a service involving oil/filters/valve clearance and shim checks was just toooooo much. Having to pay that 2-3 times a year on top of tyres etc is getting out of my income allowances. So as much fun and enjoyment I had with them I switched to Aprilia's and I certainly have no regrets, perhaps the only regret I have is that I didn't make the switch sooner:yes: You can buy a top of the line Api for a lot less $, also...perforamance/handling/looks are right up there with the Duc's, only the maintenance costs are approximately a 3rd!

Two valver Duc's are a little cheaper to maintain.....but personally the performance is probably only half the fun of a four valver.

Good luck with whatever you buy, go and ride some twins and see what feels right for you:yes:

HDTboy
12th April 2007, 21:05
Congrats on getting your full, I'm still a learner.
Give me a bell if you want to borrow my GSXR 600 for a day

Deano
13th April 2007, 13:31
how many of those people have actually owned one long term?

I owned a 93 900SS for 18 months. Did a few track days on it - took it in for a service and fuck me......mega dollars. Shims, new valve and 3 hours labour on the front forks alone.

Didn't help that it seemed to have missed it's 20K service, despite the bike salesman who sold it to me guaranteeing it had a regular service history. Wanker.

Went back to a Honda and never looked back since, except at the odd Suzuki in my mirrors.

Sparky Bills
13th April 2007, 17:25
Think of it this way..

Ducati's have Soul and Personality.
Jap bikes dont.

Buy a Duc and enjoy the fell of bing different to everyone else.
Working in a Duc dealership, Ive met some pretty interesting people. But no matter how much money they have, Most of the Duc owners are very happy and easy to deal with people. Im glad and proud to be apart of such a brand.
Enjoy and good luck.

The Stranger
13th April 2007, 17:55
Think of it this way..

Ducati's have Soul and Personality.
Jap bikes dont.

Working in a Duc dealership.

What a load of crap, but hey whatever you need to tell yourself so you sleep well at nights after spending your day ripping off customers.

Her_C4
13th April 2007, 19:09
What a load of crap, but hey whatever you need to tell yourself so you sleep well at nights after spending your day ripping off customers.

Huh?? What the heck is THAT for?:gob:

I am with Sparky on the Ducatis and I don't work for a Ducati dealership!! Each to their own eh?:dodge:

Live and let live :sunny:

The Stranger
13th April 2007, 19:19
Huh?? What the heck is THAT for?:gob:

I am with Sparky on the Ducatis and I don't work for a Ducati dealership!! Each to their own eh?:dodge:

Live and let live :sunny:

It's a machine - it has no soul, all bikes have a personality of sorts, the way they handle, the way they deliver their power etc etc.
It is pure twaddle trying to say it has soul and other bike don't have personality.
That is just trying to create elitism and sucker people.

aff-man
13th April 2007, 19:35
Hey congrats on the full locence.. long time no see.

As to the bikes. Havn't ridden either (for some reason people don't want me to test ride??)
But from what I can tell.....
Service costs for the ducati are silly high. Like $1000+

If ya speak nicely AMPS may have a 675 tester. and there is a test 998(or 996) at haldanes. They want 21k for it I think. 748 are cheaper... But again the service costs...
heaps on tardme...

surfchick
21st April 2007, 19:17
i bought a ducati 996sps - cheers for the info crew - i knew what i was interested in & was keen to know in advance the nature of the maintance damage!

flew to hastings, picked up my beloved 2001 996sps & drove it to pauanui via taupo. magic magic bike.

Her_C4
21st April 2007, 19:29
Woooo hooooo - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is great news. I lurve those Ducati's... I hope you have many happy k's of fantastic riding ahead of you:sunny: :done:

LilSel
21st April 2007, 20:02
i bought a ducati 996sps

Awesome!!! :rockon:

Piccys??

HDTboy
21st April 2007, 20:33
That's awesome Alex, I'm back in Auckland now, will have to check out your bike. My number's in my profile

Waylander
21st April 2007, 20:48
Congrats on the new ride Dr. Surfchick. Must take some serious getting used to after the SRV.

Ditto on the picks

flame
21st April 2007, 20:51
i bought a ducati 996sps - cheers for the info crew - i knew what i was interested in & was keen to know in advance the nature of the maintance damage!

flew to hastings, picked up my beloved 2001 996sps & drove it to pauanui via taupo. magic magic bike.

Great choice chick :), a friend of mine let me (well I stole it actually) take his for a play.........it was a weapon :yes:.......you'll be wheelie queen real fast methinks!

surfchick
22nd April 2007, 16:30
yeah it's a bit of a different beast to the srv.
wihoo 3rd ride on the ducati in 3 days oh my... a weapon is right. the riding position on the 996 is absolutely perfect.
I'm pretty in lurrrve at this stage....

flame
22nd April 2007, 18:08
yep....the lurrrvvvv will grow :), I think I have some spares in a buried box in my garrage for the 996 I used to have, probably nothing too exciting, some footpegs and a clutch cover and some other bits of stuff, I'll dig them out and if there's anything that maybe usefull to ya you can have it.

Dooly
23rd April 2007, 16:03
Was that the bike on TM with all the extras on it?

If so, a guy I know is a mate of his, and we were talking about it the other week when I was toying with the idea of looking at it.
It sounded like quite an awesome machine.
But I went the SS1000 way.

Being a recent Ducati convert myself, I love them.
Love my Triumph too.:yes:

Enjoy it!

surfchick
23rd April 2007, 16:20
cheers flame- i think the lurve is growing and growing for sure-i'll try and post a few pics- kittyhawk shot some of the 996 the other day on a ride so i might see if she'll share da pics!

classic that you have some parts left! - def keen if you don't need them anymore-god i hope i don't knock anything off it, but you never know...something might rattle off!

did you just find them to much of a bugger to maintain or you like the feel of the rsv better? i sort of toyed with the idea...

yep....the lurrrvvvv will grow :), I think I have some spares in a buried box in my garrage for the 996 I used to have, probably nothing too exciting, some footpegs and a clutch cover and some other bits of stuff, I'll dig them out and if there's anything that maybe usefull to ya you can have it.

surfchick
23rd April 2007, 16:25
It was the TM one from hastings- the sps with a custom packrack and a few other carbon bits available by buying them seperate... i couldn't afford the carbon hugger so didn't buy it and kind of regret it now as I had a big section of road works that's now wedged variously by bits of tar in all the nooks and crannies round the rear shock. looking at any rear huggers made for it now...

but it's one uber precise machine to ride. oh baby.:love: :love: :love:

Was that the bike on TM with all the extras on it?

If so, a guy I know is a mate of his, and we were talking about it the other week when I was toying with the idea of looking at it.
It sounded like quite an awesome machine.
But I went the SS1000 way.

Being a recent Ducati convert myself, I love them.
Love my Triumph too.:yes:

Enjoy it!

surfchick
23rd April 2007, 16:27
That's awesome Alex, I'm back in Auckland now, will have to check out your bike. My number's in my profile

yay back in ak - and a long time noe see...yo come for a ride out west sometime :)

ManDownUnder
23rd April 2007, 17:05
yaaaaaaaaaa y'know. I was given the keys and took it for a blat - it was ok I guess...

SC you might want to ditch it though hun. Maybe swap it for a well loved RF - I know of one going spare (or it WILL be)

surfchick
23rd April 2007, 17:17
yaaaaaaaaaa y'know. I was given the keys and took it for a blat - it was ok I guess...

SC you might want to ditch it though hun. Maybe swap it for a well loved RF - I know of one going spare (or it WILL be)

not on your nelly ned kelly ;)

you will have to wait for another ducati rider to ditch theirs in order to trade up to the RF :devil2: :devil2:

ManDownUnder
23rd April 2007, 17:22
not on your nelly ned kelly ;)

you will have to wait for another ducati rider to ditch theirs in order to trade up to the RF :devil2: :devil2:

I know the offer was ovewhelming but if you ever change your mind I'll be here ok?
MDU

McJim
23rd April 2007, 17:23
All the cool people are getting Ducatis eh? :rofl: I'll hopefully have mine by the end of the week. Bank and work permitting.

Not as quick and shiny as yours but it's mine and I will love it:love:

Congrats on making the right choice.

surfchick
23rd April 2007, 17:43
All the cool people are getting Ducatis eh? :rofl: I'll hopefully have mine by the end of the week. Bank and work permitting.

Not as quick and shiny as yours but it's mine and I will love it:love:

Congrats on making the right choice.

oh i have on doubt you'll love it. wihooo ducati ... see you on the road - when are you getting it? yay yay yay

McJim
23rd April 2007, 20:20
oh i have on doubt you'll love it. wihooo ducati ... see you on the road - when are you getting it? yay yay yay

I'm waiting for the bank cheque from the sale of my VTR to hit my account and waiting for a bank loan to hit my account then I'll have to order a Bank Cheque for the vendor of the Ducati.

Hopefully the bank can move swiftly enough to allow me to collect the bike on Saturday or before.

The 600ss is by no means a fast bike though - only 53hp - I'm an old fart and with an Auckland mortgage, 2 kids and one income I just don't have the money to handle speeding tickets!

Also with the SS bikes the service intervals are 10,000kms and with 25km per litre fuel consumption it's actually cheaper to run than many Jappas!

flame
23rd April 2007, 21:21
cheers flame- i think the lurve is growing and growing for sure-i'll try and post a few pics- kittyhawk shot some of the 996 the other day on a ride so i might see if she'll share da pics!

classic that you have some parts left! - def keen if you don't need them anymore-god i hope i don't knock anything off it, but you never know...something might rattle off!

did you just find them to much of a bugger to maintain or you like the feel of the rsv better? i sort of toyed with the idea...

Yehhh....piccies be great....tell Kitty ta hurry up :yes:

Yep....cost too much for my income to maintain, I clock up bout 30,000 kms a year, so thats 3 x services, also with having a race bike it's much easier to have two similar bikes { 1 road and 1 track) so you can swap wheels /brakes etc if required. The Api's are real easy to ride on the track....and the road, with the maintenance cost s being about a 3rd of the price compared too my duc's I have to say Im way more than happy that ive switched, and can afford to have the two. The handling and performance and position to me is very similar, though rides as a bigger bike, the power delivery I actually prefer as they seem to rev out harder than the duc's, the Aprilia's are also much cheaper too add 'go fast' bits to as well :innocent: .

Even one day when im really wealthy (hahahaha can't see that happening), I don't think I'd switch back. I think Aprilia's just suit the way I ride. Though I'd
still buy another 998 if I can afford a 3rd toy:yes:

I'l hunt out the box of spares in the wkend and let ya know for sure whats there, pm me and remind me if ya like.