PDA

View Full Version : OT - computer problem - errror message

Beemer
4th April 2007, 23:16
I would normally post this on Press F1 but I can't get into the site tonight so here's hoping someone here may be able to help!

I got a new HP Pavillion A1520A computer recently, running Windows XP Media Centre. I've had a bit of trouble with it from the start (monitor blanking out for a second or two soon after start up and sometimes at other times too, and it did turn off a few times without warning) and have updated the drivers and done everything I can think of to solve the problem.

Tonight I got the following error message, and it's the first time I've seen that particular one:

“The system DLL user 32.DLL was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.”

I tried Googling it but came up with heaps of different suggestions so I was a bit reluctant to do anything until I knew what I was doing! I have emailed the guy I bought it off but has anyone else experienced this and what needs to be done?

Jeremy
5th April 2007, 00:53
I would normally post this on Press F1 but I can't get into the site tonight so here's hoping someone here may be able to help!

I got a new HP Pavillion A1520A computer recently, running Windows XP Media Centre. I've had a bit of trouble with it from the start (monitor blanking out for a second or two soon after start up and sometimes at other times too, and it did turn off a few times without warning) and have updated the drivers and done everything I can think of to solve the problem.

Tonight I got the following error message, and it's the first time I've seen that particular one:

“The system DLL user 32.DLL was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.”

I tried Googling it but came up with heaps of different suggestions so I was a bit reluctant to do anything until I knew what I was doing! I have emailed the guy I bought it off but has anyone else experienced this and what needs to be done?

Try:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=74AD4188-3131-429C-8FCB-F7B3B0FD3D86&displaylang=en

I'm impressed that they've got the same memory address though, as that really shouldn't happen. Ever. Also I'd have thought that user32 would have begun first anyway.

jrandom
5th April 2007, 07:40
HHCTRL.OCX is part of Windows. It doesn't just randomly conflict with other parts of Windows. This is not a software configuration issue.

I'd say your hardware is fucked. Take the box back to the shop and demand that they sort it out with new memory, motherboard, or whatever else is necessary.

Beemer
5th April 2007, 07:50
I finally managed to get into Press F1 and they gave me the same advice as Jeremy, saying it was to do with yesterday's update. I had forgotten that when I shut down last night it said there were some updates that would be installed before shutting down.

The download has got rid of the error message so hopefully that is the end of the problem, but I am still irritated by the monitor blanking out for a few seconds soon after start up - any ideas on what is causing that? It isn't the monitor as that has been tested on another computer, and when a different monitor was hooked up to mine, the problem continued. The guy I got it from said it could be to do with the integrated video card and that a new separate video card should solve the problem, but I'm reluctant to throw about $130 away in case it doesn't fix it.

WRT
5th April 2007, 10:22
It's not uncommon for your monitor to flick off and on once or twice while the computer is starting up - it's to do with the changes in resolution as the graphics drivers etc are initialised.

An aftermarket card may reduce them, however I doubt anything is actually wrong as such with the inbuilt card - so why pay money to fix something that isnt broke? Spend the money on something bike-related instead ;)

It's not like there is anything there that you are really wanting to read anyway, so just ignore the flickers - use the time to go make a hot drink if it's really bothering you.

If the monitor was going blank for extended periods after your computer had finished starting up, well thats a whole other issue.

Edit: One other thing is that if you are getting the flickers right at the end of the start up process (when your desktop icons appear and things like the virus scanner load), then check that its not some graphics addon that is causing it - some graphics drivers load up desktop utils that sit down by the clock in your system tray. Normally not required unless you are needing to often change display settings, and can be turned off.

Her_C4
5th April 2007, 10:32
Try:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=74AD4188-3131-429C-8FCB-F7B3B0FD3D86&displaylang=en

I'm impressed that they've got the same memory address though, as that really shouldn't happen. Ever. Also I'd have thought that user32 would have begun first anyway.

I just had the same issue, and had downloaded the MS fix as indicated(released a couple of days ago) above...

No further probs:done:

Lias
5th April 2007, 13:43
Also had exactly the same issue after a windows update and restart last night.

avgas
5th April 2007, 14:06
Also had exactly the same issue after a windows update and restart last night.
Well i refuse to do windows updates now as it fucked with MySQL, goldmine, quickquotes, PAS and everything else at work after the last one.

Lias
5th April 2007, 14:07
Well i refuse to do windows updates now as it fucked with MySQL, goldmine, quickquotes, PAS and everything else at work after the last one.

Wait till server 2003 updates start randomly fucking with your AD.. thats when things get fun.

jrandom
5th April 2007, 14:59
It's a truism that Windows Update mucks things up, innit?

I'd never enable automatic updates for *any* OS on a production server system, or even on mission-critical workstations for staff.

A regular programme of update testing on mirrored installations before deployment is the only way to go.

pete376403
5th April 2007, 16:37
Yup, seeing this on two PCs at work (both XP) after microsoft update .

As if the shit isn't broken enough out of the box, they send us ongoing breakages. Oh well, keeps me employed