PDA

View Full Version : Licence issues

rearview
7th April 2007, 09:50
Interested to see if anyone else has had the problems Im having in establishing my bike licence after being overseas for sometime.
I got my full bike licence in 87 just before restrictions were applied. Owned three bikes from 87 to 96 was stopped by police more than once in this time and no licence problems. Went overseas for 9 years. came back handed my paper licence over to the AA to get a photo licence which I had to do. No problem. I took the licence put it in my wallet , and that was that. Now the problem after actually checking my licence later , there is no Motorcycle licence attached to it. I have been back to the LTSA several times and they say they have no record of a MC licence ever been issued. They have also said that this is not the first time this has happened and that it is hard luck you will have to sit your licence again and go through the restricted licencing process. I cannot believe this is happening !!!. I am trying to getting an exemption on having to do the restricted licence, but have been told that the chances are slim ... has anyone else had this happen to them and what did you do

MotoGirl
7th April 2007, 10:06
... has anyone else had this happen to them and what did you do

You poor bugger! I haven't had this, but I know what I'd do about it. :2guns:
Although unlikely, I wonder if it's possible to retrieve the paper licence to prove you had a bike class specified on it.

rearview
7th April 2007, 10:11
I asked the LTSA to track the paper licence down and they were not helpful at all. It seems that they are unable to do anything:angry

vamr
7th April 2007, 10:28
international license?

Macktheknife
7th April 2007, 10:33
I had the exact same experience! I fought them and in the end, because I had no paperwork to back me up, I had to suck it up and go through it again.
If you can remember what place issued the licence, when you got it and can get an affidavit from the person in charge you have a chance, but not guaranteed.
If you have any supporting paperwork, it improves your chances.
Did you get a ticket while on the licence? If so then you can use that as evidence to support your argument.
End of the day, your chances are still slim, might have to just suck it up.
Good luck

rwh
7th April 2007, 10:34
Can you get anything useful out of the police? Or do LTNZ have access to all the same info anyway?

Richard

rearview
7th April 2007, 11:02
I know the name of the Ministry of transport officer that I did the test with. I played rugby with his son. The police cant do anything because the records from 87 were with the MOT and apparently changed over to the police in 99. And no record. Am I best to track down the officer ? I doubt that he will remember my particular sitting though maybe worth a shot. I handed my paper licence over when issued with the photo licence.

Delphinus
7th April 2007, 11:18
I'd go track down the officer, there is a possiblity that he cant help but that sure outweighs having to do the L plate 70km/h speed limit etc etc

xwhatsit
7th April 2007, 12:23
This exact same thing happened to my dad. He not only had motorcycle, but some sort of truck licence as well. During the changeover, when they changed over to a centralised computer system, and issued the photo licences, he got his back and only had a car licence. Not having ridden for a long time, it wasn't vital, but nevertheless he wrote lots of letters and made lots of phone calls.

One of the most unbelievable things was that he had several speeding tickets and other things riding a motorcycle. They looked at these, and said `oh you must've been riding unlicenced', despite the fact there was no other associated ticket for this. They refused to believe their new shiny computer system could've made a mistake.

Some time later, they sent out some letters, to ask if you'd had some of your licence categories missing, you could apply to have them reinstated, because they'd found lots of errors. For whatever reason dad never got around to doing this. When you have a family and are just about to move overseas, and haven't ridden for years, having a bike licence isn't such a priority anymore.

It's a bitch, good luck though. At least being older than 25 (?) you won't have to wait for two years to get your full like some of us do.

nadroj
7th April 2007, 12:58
I know someone local that had had a motorcycle licence since 15 & had a breakdown on a Harley (spokes came loose in rear wheel causing an off road excursion). Plod attended & asked to see his licence & same prob. M/C had been dropped off licence when changing over - he had to resit & ride a 250 for 18 months.

digsaw
7th April 2007, 13:00
Yes the fuckers really stuff me up,i lost my car and HT lic and it seems after the change over they deleted all files which is real great. What a bunch of fuckwits, i had to resit and it sure costs in more ways than you can imagine.

Bruiser
7th April 2007, 13:33
Currently there is a known hole in the licensing system you can use.

Fly up to Rarotonga ($500 or so return on Air NZ), take your full class1 licence with you and for NZ$10 you can sit your Rarotongan bike class license there. You'll be asked to go for a brief ride on a rented scooter while the local cop rides behind you.

That license is acceptable here in NZ until your next birthday for all license classes listed. BTW, the Raro one you'll get will include full HT and passenger classes.

Any time between arriving back and your next birthday all you have to do is pay the dosh (approx $150 if I recall correctly), sit your written and practical for any classes listed on the license that you don't have on your existing NZ license, and you're fully classed up again. No learners/restriced requirement, no delays, and fully legal!

Don't know how long they will allow this to continue.

The reason it only applies to Rarotonga is the fact that that country is a protectorate of NZ. Thats why residents of Rarotonga automatically qualify as NZ residents without immigration issues.

Hope this helps.

rearview
7th April 2007, 13:52
Thanks to everyone for your support. I sure am hoping it will work out . I like the Raro method. I need holiday aswell. Cheers all

bmz2
7th April 2007, 16:08
1 can you prove purchase of past bikes.
2 rego number of bikes
3 tickets issused in your name
4 insurance on past bikes
then present this information to the f..up landtransport.dept of no records,then see what they say.............wait for it i did that myself, and was still told had to resit, $280 later and on my learners , will be flying to cook islands to get a full license, :rockon:

Spyked
7th April 2007, 16:16
Mate, you are probably screwed.
Same thing happened to me, despite phone calls, letters and everything in between I had to go through the entire process all over. From what I was told there are hundreds or possibly thousands of cases like this but unless you have supporting evidence, they don't want to know.

rearview
7th April 2007, 17:36
I have proof of ownership of bikes, but no tickets in that time (cops were actually human back then). I know it will be a steep climb but Im not giving up without a fight.