PDA

View Full Version : Plastic welder needed... for the zx10..

Morcs
7th April 2007, 11:45
Okay guys I really need someone who can do plastic welding to do some repairs to the zx10.... as most know i slid it down the road and its not even my bike, new fairings cost a shite load and i cant really afford to get them proffessionally repaired - got enough trouble trying to afford to keep my own bike on the road...

Name your terms - some $$$ or beer and a favour returned someday :)

Fairings are off bike and can be picked up or done on sight...

Disco Dan
7th April 2007, 14:06
plastic coathanger and a soldering iron.

SixPackBack
7th April 2007, 14:49
Is the owner aware of your cost cutting, mate if it was my bike you binned I would expect full professional repairs.

skidMark
7th April 2007, 15:56
Is the owner aware of your cost cutting, mate if it was my bike you binned I would expect full professional repairs.

ditto

if it was old i wouldn't care but on a purdy new bike, i would want it all fixed

crazefox
7th April 2007, 16:25
contact me i can help

Morcs
7th April 2007, 16:31

Who said anything about cost cutting correlating to a poor job?

As long as the plastic welding is done pretty well (ie. better than i could do it) then it will be getting painted proffessionally to finish it off.

I do actually want to ride it again, and anything below standard repairs wise will limit me doing that no doubt.

SixPackBack
7th April 2007, 16:38
Who said anything about cost cutting correlating to a poor job?

As long as the plastic welding is done pretty well (ie. better than i could do it) then it will be getting painted proffessionally to finish it off.

I do actually want to ride it again, and anything below standard repairs wise will limit me doing that no doubt.

Fairing replacement is the norm on a new bike, and having the bike returned in exactly the same condition as given would be the only acceptable manner in which to return the bike.
Hope your mate is very understanding.

Morcs
7th April 2007, 16:54
Fairing replacement is the norm on a new bike, and having the bike returned in exactly the same condition as given would be the only acceptable manner in which to return the bike.
Hope your mate is very understanding.

Its an '04. He has specified the standard of which it is to be repaired.

Im asking for assistance, not to be judged.

skidMark
7th April 2007, 18:01
Im asking for assistance, not to be judged.

i sentence you to......

Morcs
9th April 2007, 15:27
So anyone?

surfer
9th April 2007, 15:47
Some of the outdoor shops have access to plastic welders for kayak repairs. You could try and borrow one from there or get one of them to do it for you. Failing this bumper repair shops will do plastic welds quite cheap.

Don't use a plastic coat hanger and a solder iron. It will look like shite and may be the wrong plastic so won't stick. Get a proper gun and use proper welding sticks. Cut a groove in the break, once it is cold after the weld you can plain it down. For a strong weld, weld both sides. Haven't done a fairing before.

Sorry don't have a plastic gun.

I though fairings were fibre glass? If this is the case wouldn't fibre glassing it be better?

Good luck.

Spindizzy
14th July 2008, 16:19
...still looking for help?

Qkchk
14th July 2008, 16:46
That was well over a year ago mate...... April 2007 by the looks :eek:

Spindizzy
15th July 2008, 17:13
yeah, now I see it....oh man...I'm stupid...arghhh.:beer:

hayd3n
16th July 2008, 19:43
Some of the outdoor shops have access to plastic welders for kayak repairs. You could try and borrow one from there or get one of them to do it for you. Failing this bumper repair shops will do plastic welds quite cheap.

Don't use a plastic coat hanger and a solder iron. It will look like shite and may be the wrong plastic so won't stick. Get a proper gun and use proper welding sticks. Cut a groove in the break, once it is cold after the weld you can plain it down. For a strong weld, weld both sides. Haven't done a fairing before.

Sorry don't have a plastic gun.

I though fairings were fibre glass? If this is the case wouldn't fibre glassing it be better?

Good luck.
most likely abs plastic easily welded with proper tools
you can grind up scrap plastic(abs) mix with mek (methol ethol ketone)
and make a very strong glue for small cracks and its paintable
some fairings are fibreglass but abs can be fibreglass repaired too it bonds very well

westie
16th July 2008, 22:28
Paper mache and enamel should see ya right:niceone:

Tim the tool man
1st September 2008, 15:05
I recommend a plastic welder from Techspan. They offer equipment for the professional repairer (approx $800) or for the DIY user ( approx. $300).
The low cost welder is only suitable for occassional use, so if you're doing a lot of welding its best to get the real machine. The professional kit comes with everything you'll need, including welding rod test sticks, and even an instructional welding DVD. If you're a serious welder, these are the buys to contact... www.techspanonline.com :2thumbsup