PDA

View Full Version : Duc ST2: microswitch --> hydraulic banjo

Shorts
8th April 2007, 18:29
I need to replace the microswitch on the front brake as it has pooped out, again. The bike is up for inspection so it must work. Instead of buying another one of those very-expensive-and-quick-to-fail microswitches, I'd like to use a banjo pressure switch instead.

I've got no problem installing it as I've done the same on my bike, and the brake fluid needs a change anyway.

As a new Ducati owner, are there any wierd issues I need to be aware of? I am understanding that the size of the banjo bolt should be M10x1.0. Can anyone confirm or correct me please?

slowpoke
8th April 2007, 18:54
Not sure about the sizing for a Duc, but I've had one of these on the rear brake master cylinder of my R1 for well over 12months with no drama's.

imdying
9th April 2007, 21:23
Pressure switches are shit. They fail considerably more often than micro swtiches. See if you can get a replacement from a Jap bike. Pressure switches only come on after the brakes are applied (milliseconds can be what save you from being rear ended). Pressure switches only come on when the brakes are applied, you can drag the brakes gently with a microswitch to flash the brake lights.

Shorts
10th April 2007, 00:51
Well, I ordered a pressure switch, should be here in a week or so. But I also need to track down an indicator relay tomorrow (in the coming days) so I'll see about grabbing a microswitch to have on hand as well.

I can understand what you're saying about the difference in actuation, and it's something I hadn't considered. Any JPN bikes come to mind that would ues the same switch as the Ducati? This seems to be a consistent issue with them.

imdying
10th April 2007, 09:53
No sorry, none come to mind... although some people here will be able to tell you what Japanese bikes come with Brembo master cylinders (unless the ST2 has a Nissin master cylinder? Nissin gear is also common on Hondas). Can you take a picture of the master cylinder and the switch?

There are two types (commonly) of pressure switches.

One type is a straight thread (almost always 10x1mm or 3/8x24), the other uses a tapered thread (normally 1/8bsp). The replacement banjo bolt you buy, you'll need to match the thread into the master cylinder (either 10x1 or 10x1.25), but the switch needs to match the thread in the head of the bolt (obviously). If you go to someone like apco, they'll have a 5160 or a 5161 switch, but I can't remember the part number for the 10x1 version... they'll be able to work backwards from those first two numbers though.

If you get a straight thread version, remember to get a copper washer to seal it with (between the head of the banjo and the switch). Tapered threads seal on the threads (obviously!).

Shorts
10th April 2007, 10:17
This ST2 is running the Brembos (my VTR250 does run Nissin). According to the Ducati parts list, the MC is code number 624.4.012.1B. The microswitch is code number 539.4.0041B. This is the first time I've run across "microswitch". I have several brake light switches from my Nissin stuff but they are larger than Ducatis. It seems te European bikes use them more often. Oh well, learning new stuff.

I am near certain M10x1.0 is the correct part (but I'll verify). Good call on the copper washers. I did read that somewhere in my search and made note to get some.

I'll do a quick search and see who, if, runs Brembo stock.

imdying
10th April 2007, 13:22
Out of interest, how much is the switch from Ducati? How many $$$ are we talking here?

Shorts
10th April 2007, 13:32
The Duc switch is $34 (US prices I've seen). Here in JPN, maybe the same or a little more.

I read Duc owners usually just use a switch from Radio Shack PN 275-0016 which fits in place with slight adjustment for like $2-3. (I would do this option except there are no Radio Shacvks and no abundance of component parts in this 'electronics capital of the world') :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I considered going to the banjo pressure switch is they are cheaper, $20 by the time it gets to me.

imdying
10th April 2007, 14:21
Yeeesh, USD$34... just spend that, and keep all your hair, and spend the time you would've spent modifying it, riding!

The pressure switch, wiring connectors, banjo, copper washers, running around to get those bits, and time taken up fitting them, is worth less than $34? Add to that having a non standard bike, and one with brake lights that work (marginally) worse, just pay the money man! :D

Shorts
10th April 2007, 17:54
Well I just spent $45 getting it ordered online (microswitch). I also just spent another $33 at the shop ordering that darn indicator flasher.

I thought it was a challenge finding JPN parts in JPN - now I'm working on Italian parts in JPN :doh:

I have to wait a week...at least, for both <_<

I don't mind working on anything, it's the lack of available in stock parts that really gets old.

Corsa.co
14th April 2007, 16:39
Theres a few different,brembo brake light switches,most expensive should only be $40 nzd,for those available from a brembo supplier.Hydrolic switch,will be m10x1.0,japaness bikes are 10x 1.25mm in general.

Shorts
14th April 2007, 20:14
I ended up with both a microswitch and a hydraulic banjo (M10x1.0mm) on the way. So much for saving $$ :stupid: I think DH wanted another microswitch instead of the banjo (which I preferred). But, since he's riding it, I'll yield to his preference. But if the thing fails again shortly, no ifs, ands or buts, I'm installing the hydraulic banjo switch :kick:

...now I just have to wait for the things to arrive lol

Shorts
19th April 2007, 22:29
I actually jumped the gun on the switch and installed the banjo switch that I had here for the last day or so. It is M10x1.0mm size.

The bike needs to get inspected and paperwork completed asap so I tossed on the banjo switch and bled the brakes. It works fine and will pass inspection now.

I'm still waiting on the microswitch that is currently in route. But I doubt I'll use it unless this one breaks.