PDA

View Full Version : Riding rituals

jtzzr
9th April 2007, 17:08
I was just wandering , is there anyone else that has or does a little ritual to get the blessing of the biker gods ... Like maybe you always face your bike toward Mecca and fire it up or maybe you wear your right glove 5mins before you put on left. I always give the screen a quick rub and ask that the bird brings me home ,and when I arrive home I never ride the bike into the garage I push her in., My thinking is that the bike has carried my fat arse all day the least i can do is push her the last few metres. Would love to hear of any other rituals.

Chisanga
9th April 2007, 17:09
I have to put my right glove on first :)

Back Fire
9th April 2007, 17:14
I park my bike in my bedroom and clean it before and after each time I use it... takes about 10-20mins to get it in... but its my way of thanking it

Oakie
9th April 2007, 17:26
Nothing special beforehand but i quite often give it a pat on the tank and say "thanks" after it's got me somewhere safely.

skidMark
9th April 2007, 17:34
i ride it hard give it a good thrashing,

then i give it new footpegs. lol

MotoGirl
9th April 2007, 17:42
Nothing special beforehand but i quite often give it a pat on the tank and say "thanks" after it's got me somewhere safely.
Ditto - I talk to mine too.

Trudes
I go to the toilet!:done:

McJim
I avoid rituals completely - that way I can't forget to do something and therefore don't create a self fulfilling prophesy.

Imagine you forgot part of your ritual only to remember that you'd forgotten that bit just as you have a 'moment' on a corner at speed. How much of your concentration would focus on the ritual and how much would focus on the situation at hand?

Trudes
9th April 2007, 17:43

Ohhh, I do that too!:love:

Disco Dan
9th April 2007, 17:53
Other than checking over the tyres and everything else before each ride, even just going up the road...

A daily wax and polish. Memorising parts of the manual.

The best part after the ride is the smell of the hot engine in the garage and the smell of the wax on the chain after lubing it... luv it!

madmal64
9th April 2007, 18:06
Left glove on 1st. I never like seeing a helmet lying on its side. I make sure my helmet is always sitting upright.

Oakie
9th April 2007, 19:21
I avoid rituals completely -

Isn't that a ritual in itself? :devil2:

McJim
9th April 2007, 19:53
Isn't that a ritual in itself? :devil2:

Aha - you're one of those people that classes Atheism as a religious belief aren't you?

:rofl:
:killingme

Oakie
9th April 2007, 20:09
Aha - you're one of those people that classes Atheism as a religious belief aren't you?:rofl::killingme

You got me pegged! I was prepared to use my atheism as a belief to get out of a religious based thing at work just last Thursday. :yes:

MyGSXF
9th April 2007, 20:21
When ever I head off for a ride.. I always ask my mate Jimbo (passed away), to get on the back & ride with me, & keep us safe.. he always does!! :yes: ( a wee story in the links below..)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=874742&postcount=21
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=875130&postcount=24

& when I get home I park the bike up & give her tank a pat & say "love ya babe" :love:

McJim
9th April 2007, 20:38
You got me pegged! I was prepared to use my atheism as a belief to get out of a religious based thing at work just last Thursday. :yes:

Out of interest, did it work? I ask for informational purposes only you understand being one of the people that put religion down as "Jedi Knight" in the last UK census.:killingme

bull
9th April 2007, 21:16
i always talk to UncleB and ask him to ride with me to guide me safely.

ninjac
9th April 2007, 21:20
Before each ride I crouch down beside my bike, hold the foot peg and prey for a safe and prosperous journey. Oh wait thats not me is it. I do sod all.

Kinje
9th April 2007, 21:31
Right boot goes on first when suiting up (after pants), then when it's time to go- helmet, right glove, left glove.

Street Gerbil
9th April 2007, 22:08
I thank the G-d for keeping me safe in my Shabbos Eve prayer and ask Him to keep me safe the following week. Worked so far, but then again, my G-d kicks ass!:rockon:

Oakie
9th April 2007, 22:21
Out of interest, did it work? I ask for informational purposes only you understand being one of the people that put religion down as "Jedi Knight" in the last UK census.:killingme

Well I didn't have to use it in the end. My "no I'll give it a miss thank you" was accepted after a couple of seconds of eyeballing.

RC1
9th April 2007, 22:28
usually get leathers on, go toilet,my kids always ask me if im coming back and i tell them hopefully , then always give my kids and partner a kiss and a hug and tell them all i :love: them, then on goes the helmet and my partner gives me a kiss on the nose through my visor and the kids stand on the fence and wave :bye:

BarBender
9th April 2007, 22:32
I'm not aware of any rituals I might volunterily perform.
On the otherhand I do find myself unwillingly and habitually looking for the farken...
1. garage remote
2. bike key
3. cell phone
4. wallet
5. or any combination of the above

...before every ride.

Bass
10th April 2007, 12:34
I pick my wallet up off the floor cos I've tried to put it into my jacket lining instead of the inside pocket - AGAIN!!

placidfemme
10th April 2007, 12:40
meh... don't do anything ritualistic myself... the most common thing is letting the ZXR warm up enough before taking off... thats about it... buts its needed, not so much of a choice lol

Crisis management
10th April 2007, 12:54
I don't do rituals, I'm more of a believer in Karma.....I'll get what I'm due.

I'm usually too busy plotting the bendiest route in my head before setting out to think of anything else anyway. :scooter:

Pwalo
10th April 2007, 13:10
I don't know about rituals. I certainly do things in a set order, but at my advanced age it's more of a routine to ensure I don't forget something. Like taking your glasses off before putting on you helmet, or putting your keys in the ignition before putting your gloves on.

I'm not too sure about the biker gods thingy. I prefer to remind myself (as the bike is warmign up) not to be too big a twat, and be awake.

99TLS
10th April 2007, 13:38
usually roll up a big fat :doobey: and smoke it while i wait for the girl to warm up :yes:

ManDownUnder
10th April 2007, 13:53
Treat my ride like a woman. Gently gently in public, and ride her hard when we're alone or in safe company

Otherwise errrr... none come to mind

Disco Dan
10th April 2007, 13:56
Treat my ride like a woman. Gently gently in public, and ride her hard when we're alone or in safe company

Otherwise errrr... none come to mind

So how come you have kids then? You cant always be using protection then MDU? :innocent: hehe

ManDownUnder
10th April 2007, 13:59
So how come you have kids then? You cant always be using protection then MDU? :innocent: hehe

Look up - see that vapour trail?

Bnonn
10th April 2007, 14:10
Aha - you're one of those people that classes Atheism as a religious belief aren't you?
Sure it is. Atheism is a belief that there is no God. Believe either way is religious by definition. You can argue that atheism is a lack of belief in God, but then every atheist I've met who has cared enough to argue the point has always harbored the positive belief that God does not exist, despite their claims.

Then incessant pressing of my indicator cancel button for the rest of the day.
Good to know I'm not the only one then...

Ivan
10th April 2007, 14:35
Well I race,

Helmet first then gloves, left then right

jump up,
walk to bike, right leg over the seat,
sit on seat, put kill switch to on put bike in second and go,
talk to myself on the dummy grid,
Drop visor down so it has one click to go,
then look at my mum then my dad give them a nod before i ride off,
and give my brother the thumbs up as I live the dummy grid to the track during the race (as we race against one another)

Ride down pit line stand up on pegs,
Stretch my legs,
Give the leathers a yank from my ass,

Then go for it

The_Dover
10th April 2007, 14:36
i put gas in it.

kevfromcoro
10th April 2007, 16:43
i do this all the time..gloves on..and then realise havent done my helmet up..gloves off..

MisterD
10th April 2007, 17:51
Check all the bits that might have shaken loose on the last ride, peer into the tank as if I have any clue how far down the level is, shake the bottle of 2-s oil (ditto)...fuel on, kick...kick..kick...choke on...kick..aha! Stall..kick...REV REV REV..

Bruiser
10th April 2007, 22:55
I have to put my right glove on first :)

Same deal, same glove, go figure!

sidecar bob
10th April 2007, 23:11
I worship my helmet, (Is that normal?) I give it a chair at a cafe, i dismantle it & polish it, If i go away in the car on my own, i seat belt it into one of the back seats & take it into the motel with me.
Fuck guys, that sounds weird, im bloody whacko.

Quartermile
10th April 2007, 23:25

Same :yes:

Storm
10th April 2007, 23:51
I also have been known to (out of paranoia) give the indicator button a thrashing too.
We'll need to start a club for it at the rate people are fessin' up :D

Goblin
11th April 2007, 00:12
I have a pair of lucky red sox from way back when we won the Americas cup boat race thingy,(yes they are wearing thin) only I wasn't wearing them when I crashed.:mellow:

86GSXR
11th April 2007, 00:28
I just tell myself how blessed I am to be riding. I'm not religious, but I have faith.

Griff
11th April 2007, 08:28
Before I go on it:
1. Check the Tyres.
2. Check the Indicators, Main Beam and Brake Lights work.
3. Occaisionally check the chain.

When I get off it.
1. Pat the tank.
2. Point at it and tell it to "Stay!"
3. Sometimes wander off, imitating the engine note and giggle.

That is totally sane, trust me... I have a certificate.

vifferman
11th April 2007, 08:32
I was just wandering , is there anyone else that has or does a little ritual to get the blessing of the biker gods ...
Nup.
It's just you, and the other loonies who believe in luck, BikerGodz, and that sort of thing.

MidnightMike
11th April 2007, 08:47
I worship my helmet, (Is that normal?) I give it a chair at a cafe, i dismantle it & polish it, If i go away in the car on my own, i seat belt it into one of the back seats.

Has it got its own bedroom too? :dodge:

I usually do this, so its not really a ritual but:

1) Helmet on first.
2) Right glove then left
3) Start it up
4) Sit on it.
5) Give it a sneaky pat on the tank.
6) Rev it to 8000rpm so I know its running, (its so damn quiet)
7) Drop my visor so its 2 clicks off completely closed.
8) Ride off.

Bnonn
11th April 2007, 08:51
i do this all the time..gloves on..and then realise havent done my helmet up..gloves off..
That's weird. I always put my gloves on first. Either you have thick gloves, or a tie-up helmet rather than a clicker?

Brett
11th April 2007, 12:51
I ride to work most days...process as follows.

5 mins before I leave, walk into garage and open door, fire up bike and let idel.
Get leathers on, put radio/cellphone earplugs in
Put on back pack with good things such as lunch in it...and a rain coat should i be unlucky.
Walk to garage, wheel bike backwards out into drive and turn it around ready to ride out...by now bike temp ususally is at 65-70 deg.
Walk 5m back to garage, close door and lock it.
Walk back to bike, always say a short prayer for protection...
Hop on bike, visor is generally up.
Click into gear, flip down visor while riding 8m to end of driveway.
Check road is clear, bike now nearly 80deg and ready to rock.
Pull out of the drive and the fun begins...tyres warm up...traffic splitting time!

pritch
11th April 2007, 12:58

My regular pillion of last year used to stroke the bike at times, presumably as in "Thanks" or "So long".

I'm trying to work the indiocator as in Speedie's quote.

Quartermile
11th April 2007, 19:30
:shit: I just realized I do have a ritual, as follows :

*Already have Jacket, Pants and Boots on
*Open Garage door
*Put gloves on tank, sunnies on top of them
*Put on helmet
*Walk over press 'arm' on the alarm
*Walk back over to bike roll it out shut garage door
*Turn bike on
*Put on sunnies then right, then left glove
*Sit and thing while I hear the idle slowly get louder as she warms up
*Off I go :D

klingon
11th April 2007, 20:47
As part of my ritual I put my boots on after my pants, and my gloves after I've done up all the zips, buckles, velcro bits and got my key out of my pocket. I just do this for good luck. It has nothing to do with fear of being stuck with my boot in my trouser-leg.

scrivy
16th April 2007, 15:39
I worship my helmet, (Is that normal?) I give it a chair at a cafe, i dismantle it & polish it, If i go away in the car on my own, i seat belt it into one of the back seats & take it into the motel with me.
Fuck guys, that sounds weird, im bloody whacko.

I always had an incling something was awry.................. (poon poon poon......):shutup:

Sanx
16th April 2007, 22:14
Good thread. Bling awarded :rockon:

It's not a ritual as in something I think about or worry about when riding, but I always back the bike out the garage, place gloves on tank, put on helmet, get on bike then put on my gloves. I'm always on the bike when my gloves go on.

I thank the G-d for keeping me safe in my Shabbos Eve prayer and ask Him to keep me safe the following week. Worked so far, but then again, my G-d kicks ass!:rockon:

Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad. Baruch sheim k'vod malchuto l'olam va'ed. Rubber side down. V'ahav'ta eit Adonai Elohecha b'chol l'vav'cha uv'chol naf'sh'cha uv'chol m'odecha. Shiny side up. V'hayu had'varim ha'eileh asher anochi m'tzav'cha hayom al l'vavecha. Etc. Etc.

Sure it is. Atheism is a belief that there is no God. Believe either way is religious by definition. You can argue that atheism is a lack of belief in God, but then every atheist I've met who has cared enough to argue the point has always harbored the positive belief that God does not exist, despite their claims.

Correct. Atheism is a belief there is no god. The correct term for not giving a shit is Agnoticism.