PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a short ride

ScottieX
25th June 2003, 15:22
Just like to suggest a short but enjoyable weekend day ride.

Destination: South Manukau Heads - basically Awhitu; beyond Waiuku.

There are some nice relatively quiet roads out there; good scenery also.

Who would be interested ? (Not necessarily this weekend, but possibly)

Yamahamaman
25th June 2003, 16:53
Yep :D

Oh looky, I'm no longer an L-Plate Rider. :banana:

bikerboy
25th June 2003, 17:35
Me too.

( those captions change when you least expect them) :niceone:

MikeL
25th June 2003, 18:50
And me.
(I'm free this Saturday - so far)

ScottieX
26th June 2003, 07:12
Weather forecast doesn't look too hot - might look at next weekend if it doesn't turn out. ( Am still keen to go when the sunshine is flowing )::cool:

Motu
26th June 2003, 08:25
It's 100km to the heads from Auckland,depending on where you leave from,car park and toilets at the lookout - a stunning view.I think the gravel has all gone now - not much insentive for me to ride there then.

ScottieX
26th June 2003, 08:39
The last bit of road at the heads ( down to the carpark - is gravel ) all other roads are sealed.

Graham's beach or one of the bays is a good stopping point, as well as Awhitu Regional park along the way.

A good meeting point for a ride would be BP Papakura ( after the Papakura turnoff, but before Drury )

Watch the forecast I suppose.

MikeL
27th June 2003, 22:37
I take it with the weather forecast nobody is keen for this Saturday??:(

SPman
27th June 2003, 22:45
When it comes to diving rain and gale force winds on a recreational ride,I'm a piker, not a biker:beer:

ScottieX
28th June 2003, 12:21
Oh well, doesn't look to good - but keep an eye out for future weekends because I am still keen to do this ride. Have to look to the more indoor activities this time.

Yamahamaman
28th June 2003, 12:53
I'm still keen however next weekend is not good for me.

Yamahamaman
8th July 2003, 19:04
Scottie

If there is any likelyhood of rainless days over the coming weekend - I would kinda like to see the South Mankau Heads.

Murray :banana:

ScottieX
9th July 2003, 07:28
Hi Murray,

Will watch the weather, but Saturday is out for me. I am committed to help a friend out on that day. However will keep the possibility of Sunday open. If it is anything less than stable fine weather I won't go. But fear not, even if it doesn't happen for a couple of weekends it is still on my agenda.:niceone:

MikeL
12th July 2003, 17:49
Hey, what a great day in Auckland! What a great day for a ride! A group ride! Somewhere. Anywhere.
But...
... with nothing organized, I had to make my own fun. Cruised around the bays, waved to a few fellow bikers (one actually waved back), went for a coffee on Ponsonby Rd... not a bad way to spend an afternoon, but still...

A couple of days back I checked out the Sth Manukau Heads with a mate - not a bad ride although a bit short, and not a decent flat white to be had at the destination, so had to stop again at Waiuku on the way back.

Anyway, what are the chances for another glorious day tomorrow? Good Ulysses ride coming up...
:p

Yamahamaman
12th July 2003, 19:03
Probably don't need to remind you that rain was forcast for today (Saturday). Went for a short ride myself. Sadly, I have been called in to work tomorrow (Sunday) :angry2:

ScottieX
25th July 2003, 07:41
If anyone is interested I am finally going to ride out past Awhitu ( South Manukau Head ) tomorrow 26th. I will wait at Otara Wendy's from approx 10.00am until 10.30am. The weather looks as if it will be nice.

bikerboy
25th July 2003, 10:35
I think that's one of Coldkiwi's favorite routes.:)

If I'm feeling well enough I might see you there. 10:00 am is a decent start time for me.:D

wkid_one
25th July 2003, 10:37
10am?  Half the day is gone by then

ScottieX
25th July 2003, 11:26
It's not a long ride, & the roards will have warmed up & dew dried off them by then. Probably be back by 3.00pm or thereabouts. Starts to get a bit cold around 4.00 - 4.30pm. I have other committments later, so will use the time I have. Beautiful scenery makes up for lack of distance. Round trip from South Auckland is about 220 - 250 kms.

wkid_one
25th July 2003, 12:46
I'm not good enought to look at the scenary and ride at the same time

MikeL
25th July 2003, 14:13
DAMN!
I did that ride a few weeks ago in fairly miserable weather and was looking forward to doing it again in better conditions BUT I'll be riding most of Sunday AND my wife is not working Saturday AND I'm feeling guilty about not spending enough time with her...:argh:

(but don't be surprised if I turn up anyway :p )

ScottieX
25th July 2003, 14:21
Hey there MikeL. It would be great if you do come, but no pressure as I also have family & can understand the juggling of time spent with them & time to oneself.:)

Duke of Rogan
25th July 2003, 14:49
Originally posted by wkid_one
I'm not good enought to look at the scenary and ride at the same time

reminds of an infamous piece of wisdom:
"don't worry, you don't look at the mantlepiece while you're stoking the fire":D

so as long as your getting some, who cares about the view ;)

SPman
25th July 2003, 17:18
It must be Friday..........the clouds coming in and its getting colder and gloomier............:(

mv.senna
28th July 2003, 14:23
would be keen to join you....riverhead/coatesville/kaukop is a good short loop - depending on where you're based in auck.

i have days off during week too if anyone's ever keen for a mid week ride on one of those fine days....

:niceone:

cheers,
jo

ScottieX
28th July 2003, 14:31
I have travelled that route often. It is a nice road. I will watch the weather closer to the weekend & if it's nice may try & get in touch.
Will have to see if I am free, as I have family to consider. I am based in South Auckland ( Mangere Bridge )

mv.senna
28th July 2003, 14:52
cool. as it happens i have the weekend off this coming weekend. i usually ride with a group based in glenfield, and more than likely there'll be a group ride on this weekend if the weather's good....

if interested....

email me (JO) at miss_dark_horse@hotmail.com

cheers
:niceone:

MikeL
28th July 2003, 15:27
Hey Scottie
Did you do the Manukau Heads ride on Saturday? How many went?
I ended up staying in bed most of the weekend with the flu - rotten luck as I missed the Elephant Ride.
BTW I note you're in Mangere Bridge. I'm in Onehunga. Quite often when I feel the urge for a quick spin but don't want to go too far I head across the bridge to Kiwi Esplanade and do a couple of "circuits" - some interesting bends and very little traffic. The Stop or Give Way signs and the speed humps add a bit of extra excitement. Do any cops ever lurk there??
Will try to meet up with you for a ride one of these days.
Mike

ScottieX
28th July 2003, 15:37
No-one turned up. I didn't go. I didn't feel like riding on my own. Ended up just going into toem & checking out Colemans & Red Baron. I know about Kiwi Esplanade - I live about a block away. My favourite two corners are the first two by the old Mobil Gas Station. If you want to get in touch (even during the week) - you're welcome to drop over, then email me at work "graham@compac.co.nz":(

bikerboy
28th July 2003, 18:02
Sorry I didn't show Scottie. With this flu I've been sleeping in and Saturday morning I didn't get up until noon. :o

I did however feel rather good and could have gone on a shorter ride later, especially as Sunday turned outso foul and I couldn't be bothered going out in the cold grey wind.:argh:

If you ever feel like a short spin on weekend afternoons give me a call. I sometimes don't get up for the earlier rides but usually feel like a ride after noonish. I can also ride during the week, weather permitting.
:cool: