PDA

View Full Version : POOR MILEAGE FROM TYRES? try ohlins

750Y
27th August 2004, 11:06
A guy I met complained of his Aprilia RSV chewing up tyres. after riding with him through the coromandel i was not surprised (I have since found out that this is common for a big sporty twin). He also mentioned that the same was true of his gsxr750 UNTIL he fitted an ohlins shock which almost doubled his tyre life. I'm sure there are plenty of variables involved here but food for thought. now if only i could afford an ohlins shock too i might get better mileage?? now to convince the mrs that the price of one is justified in tyre savings over time... hmmmm

F5 Dave
27th August 2004, 12:30
Well my GasGas has an Ohlins, but it wears the edges off the knobblies just as quick as the KDX so it must be all lies.

:killingme

Hitcher
27th August 2004, 12:40
A guy I met complained of his Aprilia RSV chewing up tyres. after riding with him through the coromandel i was not surprised (I have since found out that this is common for a big sporty twin). He also mentioned that the same was true of his gsxr750 UNTIL he fitted an ohlins shock which almost doubled his tyre life. I'm sure there are plenty of variables involved here but food for thought. now if only i could afford an ohlins shock too i might get better mileage?? now to convince the mrs that the price of one is justified in tyre savings over time... hmmmm
Hard to see how a shock setup could make that much difference. Maybe he changed from a sports to a touring compound tyre at the same time...

Cajun
27th August 2004, 12:42

It is a known fact that big twins eat tires more, its the low down touque of the twin that does this. 4's due to the nature of the bike, it makes touque more linear, so little easy on the tires.

Fitting an ohlins shock on his 750 most likley changed his riding style a bit, so he didn't need to be as hard on the tires, and so lasted long.

shrug i donno i could just be talking bananna crap

Hitcher
27th August 2004, 13:13
It is a known fact that big twins eat tires more, its the low down touque of the twin that does this. 4's due to the nature of the bike, it makes touque more linear, so little easy on the tires.
A most interesting "fact". A bog-standard Kawasaki ZRX1200R rolls out about 87kW and about 114Nm of torque (if my memory serves me). I seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) that a Suzuki SV1000S has about the same horsepower output but can't remember what the torque output is...

Motoracer
27th August 2004, 13:20
Suspension has a big effect on tire wear. Ohlins is like a miracle cure as people discribe it. It makes the bike run smoother and better going into the corner, through the corner and out of the corner. Which means that the tire's life is made a bit easier...

Cajun
27th August 2004, 13:24
A most interesting "fact". A bog-standard Kawasaki ZRX1200R rolls out about 87kW and about 114Nm of torque (if my memory serves me). I seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) that a Suzuki SV1000S has about the same horsepower output but can't remember what the torque output is...

i believe an sv1000s has more touqe, but riding those two bikes who would be harder on the gas, i would guess the sv1000, not in all cases, but overcall someon on an sv1000s would eat tires more.

Motoracer
27th August 2004, 13:28
Hey Dave, look what I got for ya!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Frames-suspension-bodywork/auction-14987162.htm

Kickaha
27th August 2004, 18:27
Suspension has a big effect on tire wear. Ohlins is like a miracle cure as people discribe it. It makes the bike run smoother and better going into the corner, through the corner and out of the corner. Which means that the tire's life is made a bit easier...

Dead right,seen it happen and and it makes a considerable difference

AMPS
30th August 2004, 11:32
Better shock control keeps the tyre in contact with the road, and prevents the rear wheel skipping on little irregularities. Result = less wear. Apparently this is particularly noticable with TL1000's when the rotary damper is replaced with a shock that works.
I know of someone testing this theory on a K1 Bandit at the moment.
There are a few high end brands available as well as Ohlins. We do Works Shocks.
Lou