PDA

View Full Version : Cut n polish

Croft
11th April 2007, 11:16
Here's my story... left my bike outside and went out, came home and ma wonderful dad had painted the fence.... ummmm, except he also left paint flecks all over ma baby!!!!!!

Thinking, not to worry.... I'm clever, so off to repco I go for some rubbing compound.....

:sick: .... long story short..... I FUCKED it up!!!!! Boohoo!!!!:sick:

I've been told I need to cut n polish it - by a professional, any one know any????? :love:

Cajun
11th April 2007, 11:34
Here's my story... left my bike outside and went out, came home and ma wonderful dad had painted the fence.... ummmm, except he also left paint flecks all over ma baby!!!!!!

Thinking, not to worry.... I'm clever, so off to repco I go for some rubbing compound.....

I've been told I need to cut n polish it - by a professional, any one know any????? :love:

Which parts of paint did ya screw?? tank or fairing?

scumdog
11th April 2007, 11:35
What sort of paint did he use?

If it was oil-based and hasn't been on TOO long a rub with a turpentine soaked rag may do the trick.

There is a product called Detailing Clay (or some name like that) which would do the trick - it looks like a bar of clay andyou slide it over the paint and it removed stuff sticking up - like paint spots.

Otherwise it's tricky, go to an car painting business and see what they say.

Good Luck.

buellbabe
11th April 2007, 11:42
Bugger that! I would be saying "hey old man! get this fixed!"

Cajun
11th April 2007, 11:45
should more to point,

if you rubbing the side fairings your screwed pretty much, since they are plastic and only have a light clear coat on, and what a cut does it take a layer of clear coat off and since not much clear coat to come off you gonna have problems you are better getting some polish and just keep polishing where you used the rubbing.

If on the tank you might be able to get a lite cut on that to remove any rub marks or such. but be careful, but i turn i would try just some sorta heavy polish a number of times to see if that will fix it up

Macktheknife
11th April 2007, 12:33

Where in Auckland are you?
Come see me on the Shore, I might have a solution or can direct you to a good place.

vifferman
11th April 2007, 13:35
Any paint flecks (short of proper car/bike paint) would've been easy to get off using solvents, without damaging the paint.
Sounds like you've made it all scratchy? Just go buy some more polishy stuff - like Maguires "Swirl Remover".

Croft
11th April 2007, 19:30
Which parts of paint did ya screw?? tank or fairing?

Tank.... fairing.... cowl.... I DEALT to it man!!! :shit:

What sort of paint did he use?

If it was oil-based and hasn't been on TOO long a rub with a turpentine soaked rag may do the trick.

There is a product called Detailing Clay (or some name like that) which would do the trick - it looks like a bar of clay andyou slide it over the paint and it removed stuff sticking up - like paint spots.

Otherwise it's tricky, go to an car painting business and see what they say.

Good Luck.

Sweeet will remember that... except have rubbed all the paint and shiney prettyness off... :gob:

should more to point,

if you rubbing the side fairings your screwed pretty much, since they are plastic and only have a light clear coat on, and what a cut does it take a layer of clear coat off and since not much clear coat to come off you gonna have problems you are better getting some polish and just keep polishing where you used the rubbing.

If on the tank you might be able to get a lite cut on that to remove any rub marks or such. but be careful, but i turn i would try just some sorta heavy polish a number of times to see if that will fix it up

:mellow: :violin: :cry:

Come see me on the Shore, I might have a solution or can direct you to a good place.

Wicked!!! A SOLUTION??? Where, where, where do I come???? :sunny:

boomer
11th April 2007, 19:56
oh dear .... i have a mental picture of plastic showing threw? post pics?

alternatively claim on the house insurance :D

Croft
11th April 2007, 20:43
oh dear .... i have a mental picture of plastic showing threw? post pics?

alternatively claim on the house insurance :D

Ha! Didn't even think about photos... feel sick enough just posting about it, let alone getting evidence

Madness
11th April 2007, 20:51
Put a warranty claim in for bad paint. They might just get enough of these claims that yours might just slip through? :msn-wink:

Static
18th April 2007, 17:55
hey where bouts in auckland do you live cuz if u still need help i am by no means a professional but i do groom cars for a living and have done a fair few cut n polishes on cars and could probably point you in the right direction at least

merv
18th April 2007, 19:36
If you only got small flecks of either enamel or water based paints on decent bike (or car) paint the best way to get it off without any harm at all is use my favourite Simoniz Liquid Diamond car polish and rub carefully until each little blob is removed. Works miracles too if someone opens a car door against your bike and leaves a mark on it.

You don't need the "cut" just the "polish".

flash
26th April 2007, 22:36
a good cut and polish is at repco, its in a white/red tflat tin i think, it good becasue its a very soft compound and wont do anymore damage, yet it should help. or use my special way and buy some wood polisher (one thats filled with silicon), itl make anything shiney again!

martypants
27th April 2007, 22:23
Used to work as car valet, try using cutting compound on a rag soaked with water an keep the surface really wet as well. Dont apply heaps of pressure. Found this way mellows out the cutting action of the compound.

Croft
20th May 2007, 15:56
hey where bouts in auckland do you live cuz if u still need help i am by no means a professional but i do groom cars for a living and have done a fair few cut n polishes on cars and could probably point you in the right direction at least

Ok... after a month of waiting for a mate to come make my baby PRETTY :love: again to no avail... time for plan B.

I'm in Manukau.... please help????!!!:mellow:

KATWYN
20th May 2007, 16:15

Oh no!! not that brand spanking new baby of yours!! It might just need a new cut and polish and it might be as good as new. I would take it to a car painters to assess (might just look worse than what it is??)

Croft
20th May 2007, 16:19
Oh no!! not that brand spanking new baby of yours!! It might just need a new cut and polish and it might be as good as new. (might just look worse than what it is??)

Yep, that's what I'm hoping,:yes: fingers crossed! Know anyone?!

KATWYN
20th May 2007, 16:23
Yep, that's what I'm hoping,:yes: fingers crossed! Know anyone?!

If no different colour paint is showing through thats a good sign - although it could be borderline if you rub it anymore, it might just cut through - thats why it might be good to take it to a pro.

Is the colour metallic? - that can be a bummer

Croft
20th May 2007, 16:35
No different colour paint showing through, I've had it looked at n been told it just needs a professional polish.... so just just looking for a wonderful professional polisher person... you hoo, where are yoooou?

Static
20th May 2007, 17:18
hmm again im no professional but i do groom cars for a living and i do have some stuff that might do what you are looking for

Croft
20th May 2007, 17:40
Keen to see what ya got!!! Where are ya?

crazefox
20th May 2007, 18:13
mate i could fix it no problem at all but im in welly

Croft
20th May 2007, 20:30
mate i could fix it no problem at all but im in welly
Stinky..... if I don't find a fix... you're ON!!!:yes: :Punk:

0arbreaka
20th May 2007, 20:53
How about some pics mate, if I see what we're dealing with I might be able to help.

Static
21st May 2007, 16:46
yea pics would be good and im in pakuranga

Croft
21st May 2007, 20:22
How about some pics mate, if I see what we're dealing with I might be able to help.

yea pics would be good and im in pakuranga

Ok, :yes: will ave to take some piccys n figure out how to post them.... watch this space........ but don't hold your breathe baby.... :shit:

BarBender
21st May 2007, 20:28
Sorry to hear Ange.
Looks like you have some people working on it.
Let me know how you go.

gijoe1313
21st May 2007, 20:48
:gob: Good gosh magolly, your sweet ride still isn't sweet yet? :weep: Poor suffering wee beastie!

Hope you get some gee-up outta the fellas here! :yes:

Static
21st May 2007, 23:13
where abouts in manakau are you (pm if you dont want to say) i could always come have a look if ur not too far away

Blondini
21st May 2007, 23:28
where abouts in manakau are you (pm if you dont want to say) i could always come have a look if ur not too far away

Hey mate you have offered more than anyone but still no ears:nono: I would have said PREPSOL first would have got paint off then polish seems simple enough,Guess she really did not need help after all:whocares: I am usually quite tolerant:yes:

Croft
22nd May 2007, 11:43
Hey mate you have offered more than anyone but still no ears:nono: I would have said PREPSOL first would have got paint off then polish seems simple enough,Guess she really did not need help after all:whocares: I am usually quite tolerant:yes:

Yup, your comments are fair enough tooo... :yes:

...ave been waiting for a mate to do the FIX.... waiting.... waiting.... waiting..... :shit:

Croft
22nd May 2007, 11:47

Cheers Static, PM sent

Croft
28th May 2007, 16:32
It's DONE!!!!! My baby is back to his former glory!!!! WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
:yes: :yes: Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for ALL your advice:yes: :yes: and well wishes!!!! Very much appreciated!!!!

I'm in love all over again.... YAY!!!!:love: :Punk:

KATWYN
28th May 2007, 18:14
It's DONE!!!!! My baby is back to his former glory!!!! WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
:yes: :yes: Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for ALL your advice:yes: :yes: and well wishes!!!! Very much appreciated!!!!

I'm in love all over again.... YAY!!!!:love: :Punk:

Awesome
So what was the verdict in the end?? Was it just a buff or a sand and buff ??

Croft
29th May 2007, 10:29
Awesome
So what was the verdict in the end?? Was it just a buff or a sand and buff ??

Just a buff, then :sunny: shiney gloss on top.... :love: :sunny: :love:

KATWYN
29th May 2007, 11:24
Just a buff, then :sunny: shiney gloss on top.... :love: :sunny: :love:

Wheeeewww.....

Macktheknife
29th May 2007, 13:03
Good onya Ange, glad to hear you got it sorted at last.

Croft
31st May 2007, 11:32
Wheeeewww.....

I'll say.... Wheeeeeeewww!!!! :yes: :Punk:

Good onya Ange, glad to hear you got it sorted at last.

Yo, THANKS H E A P S for your input Mack!!!! :scooter: :woohoo:

I'm a HAPPY girly!!