PDA

View Full Version : Vinning help needed

rok-the-boat
11th April 2007, 19:14
I have a DR500s (1982) and am trying to figure out how to VIN it. I bought it last year on TM and am setting it up for off-road but am also considering putting it on road, if I can.

There is a vehicle registration plate on it but it is from Australia. Is there anyone out there that could trace its history if I give you the chassis number? (DR500-xxxx).

The engine appears to have come from another bike and starts SP500 - xxxxxx. I know that because the number was registered (as a chassis number)in NZ under that number previously, according to the computer at my local AA centre. If the chassis number had matched he would probably have been able to sort it out, so he said. Somewhere, I need some paperwork. (Previous owner had none, all I have is a receipt).

Any advice will be well received.

Drew
12th April 2007, 17:38
Quite a curious conundrum you have here. All I can think of, is to find whoever imported it, or start calling Australian authorities. The importer has to have a vehical history by law methinks, or someone bringing it over themselves, will have a customs docket for it.

Failing these aveniews, call suzuki Australia, they will tell you the original purchaser, and you'll have to try and follow it's history manually.

peasea
12th April 2007, 18:45
Quite a curious conundrum you have here. All I can think of, is to find whoever imported it, or start calling Australian authorities. The importer has to have a vehical history by law methinks, or someone bringing it over themselves, will have a customs docket for it.

Failing these aveniews, call suzuki Australia, they will tell you the original purchaser, and you'll have to try and follow it's history manually.

Yeah, quite right. I have imported half a dozen cars from the US and having all the paperwork was imperative. Pink slips, sales slips, reciepts, all of that still didn't prevent a few Customs and MAF niggles. Then the Vinning fun began. Changing headlights for different dipping direction, brake hoses, seat belts, the list was extensive. No paperwork? I don't envy you........ Homework is important when you're importing. I must say though, before I started I made some preliminary enquiries and found ALL the authorities to be helpful. Get names and create a trail of contacts within. It helps. Good luck.

FROSTY
12th April 2007, 22:28
give me ayeodle dude--It can be done and legally -BUT the man that knows and can sort it out doesn't work for free