PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki's venerable GSX-F (600)

Edbear
12th April 2007, 21:15
Just a few words about the old girl!

Squiggles
12th April 2007, 23:30
nice write up, was interesting to hear about the vibes on the bars :yes:

Disco Dan
14th April 2007, 12:58
Great write up, very interesting to read someone elses' opinion and experiences on this bike.

I will comment more soon!!

skidMark
14th April 2007, 13:18
Great write up, very interesting to read someone elses' opinion and experiences on this bike.

I will comment more soon!!

yeah except since you crashed your one it tries to tankslap all the time.

not good when your going off the gas and it starts doing it with even touching the brakes.

Disco Dan
14th April 2007, 17:55
First off, the stability of the bike is great for confidence building and despite the 140 on the rear the handling is predictable but shows it's age in terms of accuracy.

I have not felt the handlebar vibe to be much of an anoyance, putting it down to the age and overall 'character' of the bike.

The brakes however feel like wood to me despite braided lines. There may be several factors influencing this feel - 2/3 worn pads which are due for replacement and this being my first 'large' bike that tends to be travelling faster than I think at times... (being a UK import it is in MPH). The rear brake, needs 'warming up' before it's used with braking in mind, as it likes to lock the rear wheel. Although when warm it sheds its fair share of speed off well!

Fully loaded and complete with pillion, it feels stable and continues to pull through each gear as if it was just me on there!

I have never once felt it 'want to tankslap' as skidmark described. Most likely due to his rather 'eccentric' riding style. What an odd thing for you to say?

skidMark
14th April 2007, 18:33
i honestly had to cling to the thing to stop it tankslapping at one point it got realy really bad and tried to spit me off, not taking a dig at you just saying it needs ot be fixed mate

take your hands off your bars youll see what i meanif a bikes front end dusn't have something funny about it the bars won't shake left and right, yours do, hover your hands above though because it gets worse and worse, look at my profile pic, the only reason i could do that is because the front end didn't shake around, no way in hell you could do that with yours, had the same problem with my old gpx 250 was fine before crash since then was never the same,

Edbear
14th April 2007, 19:53
Only time I had the wobbles on mine was when I overloaded the top box! It was way too heavy and being quite high, caused a wobble at about 70km/h!

Only tankslapper I ever experienced was back in '75 on the T500 barrelling through the Mamaku's after chi.. I mean another bike...:innocent: around a corner signposted at 30mph at my usual 60mph hit a dip in the middle of it. Thought I was going to die!

The F hardly twitched no matter what I did. The brakes were brilliant after I bled them, (needed it after the Coro. loop!), though last WOF, Tim, (Classic_Z), said they were getting down and would need pads before too long.

skidMark
14th April 2007, 20:21
Only time I had the wobbles on mine was when I overloaded the top box! It was way too heavy and being quite high, caused a wobble at about 70km/h!

Only tankslapper I ever experienced was back in '75 on the T500 barrelling through the Mamaku's after chi.. I mean another bike...:innocent: around a corner signposted at 30mph at my usual 60mph hit a dip in the middle of it. Thought I was going to die!

The F hardly twitched no matter what I did. The brakes were brilliant after I bled them, (needed it after the Coro. loop!), though last WOF, Tim, (Classic_Z), said they were getting down and would need pads before too long.

after his crash though it's not the same i have a feeling hes bent something

Disco Dan
15th April 2007, 00:32
does 210 no prob :innocent:

Edbear
15th April 2007, 19:05
does 210 no prob :innocent:

On a closed private track with a competent rider on board, of course....:yes:

Jabez
15th April 2007, 19:32
On a closed private track with a competent rider on board, of course....:yes:

Have had mine over 200k at Puke..

The worst fuel consumption that I have got from mine is 47mpg (two up, aggressive riding) the best is 70mpg & overall average is 55mpg (19.4km/l, 380km range)