PDA

View Full Version : Careful out there folks

Bnonn
13th April 2007, 08:37
This ought to go without saying, but after several years of riding to work every day, including in pelting rain, I nonetheless nearly binned it this morning. A bit too much front brake over a wet painted white arrow, and in goes the front end. I recovered it, but it was touch and go for a second.

"Tho Skaawy!"

Be extra careful in the wet. Then, when you think you're being extra careful, be a bit more careful still.

mark247
13th April 2007, 09:52
This ought to go without saying, but after several years of riding to work every day, including in pelting rain, I nonetheless nearly binned it this morning. A bit too much front brake over a wet painted white arrow, and in goes the front end. I recovered it, but it was touch and go for a second.

"Tho Skaawy!"

Be extra careful in the wet. Then, when you think you're being extra careful, be a bit more careful still.

I never ever brake on white lines etc, i have never slid on one either. But i guess what nearly happened to you shows me that i am actually doing it for a reason

mazz1972
13th April 2007, 10:23
Gotta watch out for that white paint in the rain.....very slippery.

Good work keeping upright!!

Bnonn
13th April 2007, 10:28
I never brake on white paint either. That's why I posted this thread. It's easier than you think to slip up when you're in a hurry.

Also, don't practice new techniques in the wet. I have been playing with brake-fingering lately, and in the wet it is distracting, and makes throttle and brake control dodgy. Not a good thing. Again, it should go without saying, but once you get fairly confident you start to think you're the shit and you can practice stuff on the road instead of in the parking lot...and that's when you bite it.

beyond
13th April 2007, 10:39
You would think after all these years the white painted markings would have anti skid in them by now :(

When I had my first bike, pouring rain in the middle of Papakura, late night Friday, yours truly cranks the bike in second gear to show off at the precise moment the back end crosses a white pedestrian line. To the cheers of people waiting to cross the lights, I went through the intersection sideways, both feet sticking out sideways frantically trying to keep my balance while holding a browny in. Then I regain control and it it shoots out the other way and I go through the process again. Didn't drop it though, or the browny :)

Kjell
13th April 2007, 10:42
And make sure your jacket collar is extended to the full height. Got a couple drops down the back which threw the concentration for a while, and got hit with a side wind after passing a large building. Big Wobble.

Be aware, be seen (and/or heard), and both feet down when stopped today.

Hinckley
13th April 2007, 10:46
In the wet or at night i ride like everything and everyone is out to knock me down. Not paranoid or anything.... past experiences.... and learning the hard way.

mark247
13th April 2007, 10:55
In the wet or at night i ride like everything and everyone is out to knock me down. Not paranoid or anything.... past experiences.... and learning the hard way.

I ride like that all the time.

Hawk
13th April 2007, 11:03
Yep those white lines a due a lot of respect.
I had a close one with cement dry mix, a bag had fallen off a contractors truck I thought I got round it when my back wheel managed to get into it and flicked out, recovered it though.

Bnonn
13th April 2007, 11:27
You would think after all these years the white painted markings would have anti skid in them by now :(

When I had my first bike, pouring rain in the middle of Papakura, late night Friday, yours truly cranks the bike in second gear to show off at the precise moment the back end crosses a white pedestrian line. To the cheers of people waiting to cross the lights, I went through the intersection sideways, both feet sticking out sideways frantically trying to keep my balance while holding a browny in. Then I regain control and it it shoots out the other way and I go through the process again. Didn't drop it though, or the browny :)
Haha, nice. I instinctively position myself to ride through the unpainted bits on pedestrian crossings. It only takes one slide over the paint to teach you to stay on the damn tar, eh.

Dodger
13th April 2007, 13:22
Also, wet flat possum is also very slippery. I managed to change lanes over one this morning and felt the back end slide :shit:

beyond
13th April 2007, 18:24
Live possums when it's dry get slippy too when you squash them. :(
Best avoided like white lines.
Also tried to miss a bunny in the dark once and the dumb furry ran straight under my front wheel, got flicked up and the sucker took a chunk out of my shin with it's choppers on the way past. :(

Bnonn
13th April 2007, 19:21
Ouch! Always wear shin-guards eh...

sunhuntin
13th April 2007, 20:04
ive had the backend take a step sideways on paint once... while cornering. the corner is a maze of paint and manholes. have learned to ride home the longest way, as its the safest.

Crisis management
13th April 2007, 20:28
C'mon you lot, take the opportunity to experiment with limited traction, learn what "almost" sliding feels like. Limited traction is a good teacher, it might teach you something that will save your arse some other time.

Don't fear it, learn from it.......whats that saying?

That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

Delphinus
13th April 2007, 21:52
C'mon you lot, take the opportunity to experiment with limited traction, learn what "almost" sliding feels like. Limited traction is a good teacher, it might teach you something that will save your arse some other time.

Don't fear it, learn from it.......whats that saying?

That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

How would you recommend getting into some "limited traction" white lines on the wet or?

boomer
13th April 2007, 22:04
i dropped my gpx too fiddy on pitt street, doing a ewe eeeee over the white lines; the front caved in and the bike fell on me, twisted the shit outta my leg. The rain/pain dance in front of the backed up cars and on watching pedestrians was quite a spectacle too.....

BarBender
13th April 2007, 23:10
Like some - I dont mind getting out there in between the raindrops...but the CBD tarseal is the worst I've seen it in a long time....The surface changes, tarsnakes, dirt, diesel spills and paint ensure I'm fully engaged in how and where Im riding in the wet...

peasea
13th April 2007, 23:39
ive had the backend take a step sideways on paint once... while cornering. the corner is a maze of paint and manholes. have learned to ride home the longest way, as its the safest.

It doesn't even need to be painted either! It wasn't so long ago I found a slice of chip seal road (SH1) where the chip had sunk below the seal; when wet this is like glass and I found out with a heavily laden (for touring) bike, in the pissing rain; one very scary moment. It was in the southbound lane, just south of Tirau but it's not alone.

When I get the chance I have some fun on paddocks, just to see where my heavyweight is going to go in varying applications. I don't doubt it'll come in handy....

Crisis management
14th April 2007, 08:40
How would you recommend getting into some "limited traction" white lines on the wet or?

Wot I meant was.......

I wasn't trying to be specific about sliding on white lines as they are only one of the hazards on the road. There are oil patches, slippery seal, puddles, white lines, sudden evasive manouvers, ice, etc, all things that limit your traction.
What I was saying, was that rather than being scared of poor surface conditions, use the conditions to experiment. See if the back end breaks loose with more throttle or brake and see what it feels like, see that you can recover from it. Try braking hard with the front and feel it slide, see what happens when you release the brake.
Experimentation will improve your skills, it's not all about trying to get your knee down in the dry.

(actually it is, but as I am crap at that I have to justify my other skills somehow...)

gijoe1313
14th April 2007, 09:37
I've always played dodge the tar-snakes, white lines, manholes (why ain't there any womenholes? ooer!) smooth shiny patches! Sorta like "step on a crack, you'll turn into a rat" game. And the cagers, the crazy pedos, the pyscho cyclists, the ninja duck strike, the ... you knows it!

Grahameeboy
14th April 2007, 09:58
I've always played dodge the tar-snakes, white lines, manholes (why ain't there any womenholes? ooer!) smooth shiny patches! Sorta like "step on a crack, you'll turn into a rat" game. And the cagers, the crazy pedos, the pyscho cyclists, the ninja duck strike, the ... you knows it!

You playing on your X-Box again?

Madness
14th April 2007, 11:37
And please remember that when following cages in a built up area they are likely to slam on the "succers" (that means brakes in the North Island) at the first glance of an amber light. Consider that a cage has 10 times as much ruber-contact on the wet, slippery road and possibly ABS, as well as a total disregard to your ability to stop in time.

Watch your following distances, the world is full of cocks.

Street Gerbil
14th April 2007, 13:47
And please remember that when following cages in a built up area they are likely to slam on the "succers" (that means brakes in the North Island) at the first glance of an amber light. Consider that a cage has 10 times as much ruber-contact on the wet, slippery road and possibly ABS, as well as a total disregard to your ability to stop in time.

Watch your following distances, the world is full of cocks.

If I may add, don't ASSume anything. During my evening commute, about a month ago, as I was preparing to turn on to Ferndale from Ellerslie Panmure hwy, a driver of the SUV in front of me indicated right turn, then 30 meters shy of the turning bay he slammed the brakes and turned into a driveway. I congratulated myself on on my concentration and expert emergency braking/obstacle avoidance ability and proceeded home to change my underwear. Long story short: two weeks later, when I was returning after the easter egg run, EP hwy was closed in both directions and there was broken glass all over the road at that very place.
Sapienti sat.