PDA

View Full Version : The Intarnet and my Buell

Big Dave
13th April 2007, 11:41
Had a recall on the bike for a 'Bank Angle Sensor' yesteday - apparently the bracket can break - so they beef it up - 20 minute job.

While it was at AMPS the boys noticed that my front wheel bearing is shot.
(Hardly surprising considering what i do to it really, was my first thought) and (this made me grin) it will be replaced under warranty.

However (this made me frown) there are none in NZ, none in Aus, the part will have to come ex USA and we are talking weeks through normal channels.

However, there is a site not dissimilar to KB - www.badweatherbikers.com - where the buell heads hang out and so do the guys from the factory.

11 minutes (he made a point of it) after posting a request for help sourcing the parts, their 'evangelist' rings me on his blue tooth while 'sitting in a classroom in New York' to tell me he has a guy in Joisey with the parts in hand and they will be air freighted to AMPS in the morning. Few days.

And then we chatted for 15 minutes about guitars.

a-fukin-mazing world we live in. Tell me my next bike won't be another Buell....the guys rock - literally - they all play strats.

buellbabe
13th April 2007, 11:48
Dude... try owning a 7+yr old Buell...
That BWB site is ok but there are better sites out there...trust me on this.

Big Dave
13th April 2007, 12:00
Dude... try owning a 7+yr old Buell...
That BWB site is ok but there are better sites out there...trust me on this.

No thanks - I'm planning on trading mine before the warranty runs out on one the same.

11 minutes and an interview?
Badweb has been gold for me.

Paul in NZ
13th April 2007, 12:02
What in the name of all that is good and great would anyone need to send an actual bearing from the USA when in all likelyhood you could truck off down to the local bearing factor with a spec and say I'll have a 6020 (or some such) please...

My dear old Moto Guzzi (27 years old) uses std bearings and fasteners and you just get the appropriate equivalent? Even the Triumph (37 years old) uses off the shelf bearings in most common applications.

I'm completely mystified by makers going this way - there are always a couple of low volume special bearings unique to a vehicle but most of em are of the 'one free with every frozen chicken' variety...

Big Dave
13th April 2007, 12:03
What in the name of all that is good and great would anyone need to send an actual bearing from the USA when in all likelyhood you could truck off down to the local bearing factor with a spec and say I'll have a 6020 (or some such) please....

Because I would have to pay for it.

buellbabe
13th April 2007, 12:12
Buell has pretty piss poor aftersales service... basically most HD/Buell Dealerships are more interested in greasing up their HD customers cos they sell more HD units than Buell... its all relative.

Now don't go getting upset Lou... cos I am not slagging AMPS... I happen to be quite happy with the way I am looked after but the parts dept are hamstrung when it comes to parts availabilty because of the frikkin red tape and procedures/channels they have to go thru... blimmin politics.

Motu
13th April 2007, 12:23
I know nothing about Buell bearings,but this is happening in the car world big time.Bearing design and production is being handed over to the bearing supplier,rather than picking from their cateloge and designing parts to suit.Holden ran the same front wheel bearings from about the HD,say 1965,all costs well and truely covered by Timken over 30 years,they must cost cents to make,$45 retail inc GST per side.In 1995 there was a new front wheel bearing,this is a complete hub,including wheel studs,over $600 when they first came out.The outer race of the bearing is the hub.Some cars (Honda) have a complete brake drum as part of the bearing.Even car clutches are coming out as ''cassettes'' complete with flywheel - you just remove the old and bolt up the new.....design and production is in the hands of the clutch manufacturer,they supply a ''unit''.

Finn
13th April 2007, 12:30
Buell has pretty piss poor aftersales service... basically most HD/Buell Dealerships are more interested in greasing up their HD customers cos they sell more HD units than Buell... its all relative.

I think you need to add "in NZ" to your comment. NZ has always struggled with the concept of after sales service and support.

rok-the-boat
13th April 2007, 12:42
I got a wheel bearing for my Suzuki just around the corner form where I live - just took in the old one etc. Ditto seals. And being a HD fan, if anyone is interested I have a complete scanned list of bearing numbers for Evolution Halreys.

Big Dave
13th April 2007, 13:11

Not my experience. Since using the badweb thing it's been quite the opposite. I've had a few things sorted this way. Don't think its my 'media' gig either - just unique line of communication with the factory. (And they do like my photos.)

Shane downstairs at amps is a buell guy. You have to put up with moose grumblin' about them, but he grumbles about everything - he's a moose. same levels of aftersales as I've had for my other bikes.

You wanna ride motorcycles outside the mainstream and live on fabulously beautiful remote islands in the middle of a vast ocean? So do I. But there is a price. :sunny:

Forest
13th April 2007, 17:35
However (this made me frown) there are none in NZ, none in Aus, the part will have to come ex USA and we are talking weeks through normal channels.

That would make me frown too.

You'd expect there to be at least one spare in Australia.

Just-in-time inventory my arse.

Big Dave
13th April 2007, 18:44
That would make me frown too.

You'd expect there to be at least one spare in Australia.

Just-in-time inventory my arse.

There is some transition still going on I think - H-D used to be distributed in Qld and NZ by Morgan and Wacker but H-D australia took over last year.

Professionally for me this has been fantastic. A dedicated fleet of press bikes comes with the territory. Not sure what effect on parts has been.

Vast remote etc etc etc

Macktheknife
13th April 2007, 18:58
11 minutes (he made a point of it) after posting a request for help sourcing the parts, their 'evangelist' rings me on his blue tooth while 'sitting in a classroom in New York' to tell me he has a guy in Joisey with the parts in hand and they will be air freighted to AMPS in the morning. Few days.

And then we chatted for 15 minutes about guitars.

a-fukin-mazing world we live in. Tell me my next bike won't be another Buell....the guys rock - literally - they all play strats.

That rocks Dave, you lucky bugger......
Isn't it great when you know how to reach the right person in the right way and get the result in no time at all.
Congrats to you and big ups to the guy who helped you out, first class.

MD
13th April 2007, 21:18
Had a recall on the bike for a 'Bank Angle Sensor' yesteday -.
And the gixxer mob rave about the new fancy 3 power level widget on the 2007 model. There's Buell providing a GPS gadget with directions to the nearest bank, that's impressive. Is it brand specific, you know; ASB at 45 degrees right; BNZ at 67 degrees left. Wouldn't it be more useful to locate petrol stations though?
Ok sorry I just couldn't resist reading 'bank angle sensor' Sounds like some obscure technology for technology's sake.
On topic- I hear what you're saying about Internet forums being helpful. I've learned heaps on the Beemer F800 site, especially technical updates, mods and accessories and sharing common experiences. Comparing service standards, service & parts costs from country to country. The list goes on.

Edbear
13th April 2007, 21:27
Ok sorry I just couldn't resist reading 'bank angle sensor' Sounds like some obscure technology for technology's sake.

I haven't worn mine out yet, but both sides are a bit worn....:yes:

Big Dave
13th April 2007, 21:45

I thought it worked out if your bank was ripping you off.

It's a cut out switch. If the bike falls over it stops the engine.
Apparently the bracket can shake loose and it falls off it - Thinks the bike has fallen over and....recalled and fixed.

Big Dave
13th April 2007, 21:47
I haven't worn mine out yet, but both sides are a bit worn....:yes:

Try it on a MV Agusta ;-P