PDA

View Full Version : Bike's spluttering

knight rider
13th April 2007, 21:37
have had this problem with the bike in the past but it went away. seems to be hard to start & keeps staling unless I rwev it a bit. Problem is when I rev it it seems to splutter. Am thinking spark plugs but I don't have a sparkplug socket to check. Anyone in porirua have 1 I can borrow please? all the fairings are off my bike so if someone can show me an easy way to get the sparkplugs out that would also be helpful. tried to take the tank off & thought that aint gonna work. don't wana take her into the bike shop as don't have the pingers at the moment.

any help is much appeciated

xwhatsit
13th April 2007, 22:44
Perhaps it is running quite rich? I've just got back from Waiheke, have been running around the occasional gravel road (what fun!) and it's been raining too. Bike started to run a little rich because the air filter was choked with all the shit on the roads (will have to clean the chain too).

Could it be that? Or perhaps your choke cable has slipped out of the little clamp thing on the carbs and it's not completely retracting.

knight rider
13th April 2007, 22:54
could be will try those 2 thanks

Disco Dan
13th April 2007, 23:00
have had this problem with the bike in the past but it went away. seems to be hard to start & keeps staling unless I rwev it a bit. Problem is when I rev it it seems to splutter. Am thinking spark plugs but I don't have a sparkplug socket to check. Anyone in porirua have 1 I can borrow please? all the fairings are off my bike so if someone can show me an easy way to get the sparkplugs out that would also be helpful. tried to take the tank off & thought that aint gonna work. don't wana take her into the bike shop as don't have the pingers at the moment.

Bit of a "MacGyver" moment, but someone with a micrometer could measure something common, like several peices of drinks can aluminium to the correct spark plug gap?

dogsnbikes
13th April 2007, 23:15

My ladies GS had the same problem after cheaking everything we discovered the fuel line was a mickey mouse job and was given the carbs more fuel than they could handle.......so replace it all cost about $5 and abit of time between beers:Punk:
so it just a case of elimination Good luck :yes:

Madness
13th April 2007, 23:15
I think he needs to get the plugs out first, might be hard to do with a few old Coke cans, even with the use of a micrometer.

You haven't had much luck with this bike, maybe you should trade up?

knight rider
13th April 2007, 23:19
I think he needs to get the plugs out first, might be hard to do with a few old Coke cans, even with the use of a micrometer.

You haven't had much luck with this bike, maybe you should trade up?
was thinking of getting a busa bt thing is am trying to save some money as am getting married in a year so can't splash out just yet :)

knight rider
13th April 2007, 23:26
how often should spark plugs be replaced? they were done 9,000kms ago

Drum
13th April 2007, 23:34
I bought a motorcycle spark plug wrench a couple of weeks ago at Super Cheap. It was $3.95 and works just fine.

knight rider
13th April 2007, 23:42
I bought a motorcycle spark plug wrench a couple of weeks ago at Super Cheap. It was $3.95 and works just fine. awesome thanks I'll get one tomorrow :) do they sell motorbike spark plugs aswell?

Madness
14th April 2007, 00:26
They should do

ask for these ones (http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/apps/motorcycles/partcloseup.asp?stocknumber=6263&partnumber=CR9E) then the tool to suit.

knight rider
14th April 2007, 00:38
They should do

ask for these ones (http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/apps/motorcycles/partcloseup.asp?stocknumber=6263&partnumber=CR9E) then the tool to suit.
are they a good sparky?

Drum
14th April 2007, 14:09
These pics may help you determine whether you have a problem with your plugs (from my Haynes Manual).

knight rider
14th April 2007, 15:30
These pics may help you determine whether you have a problem with your plugs (from my Haynes Manual).
thanks for that :) changed the 2 middle spark plugs but couldn't get the tool into the side ones as the frame goes directly over them. will have to find another new tool now lol. one of the leads on the right hand side wasn't connected to anything. found where it went & now it's like new :) has a micky mouse job where a screw holds a hose into it bt the screw doesn't screw into anything. Sort of works like a wege. so I wedged it back in & change 2 spark plugs. Still gonna change to 2 side ones yet.

Also have a blown light bulb aswell now lol

I just can't win .........

knight rider
15th April 2007, 00:30
and now a fork seals leaking.............

knight rider
15th April 2007, 21:16
tonight one of the mirrors was loose so had to tighen that aswell. Anyone else have daily problems? Maybe I'm just not meant to have a bike???? :(

Madness
15th April 2007, 21:20
It's called Suzuki Ownership

xwhatsit
15th April 2007, 23:12
Lol! Yes. You never see me having any problems with my Honda, do you...? :shutup:

That's the trouble with a `middle-aged' bike, I suppose. Always need a bit of fettling from time to time. I suppose though that it's just like anything -- all the problems arrive at once.

knight rider
16th April 2007, 12:40
I also had lots of problems with my old cbr250rr -which was a honda

MWVT
16th April 2007, 16:27
I got the aforementioned supercheap 3.95 spark plug removing gadget. I found it completely useless because try as i might I couldn't get one of the plugs out, the angles were just wrong (and this is after grinding the OD down enough to fit).

One 1/2" flexidrive from repco with a conventional spark plug socket. Cost me a little more, but now i can get em out easy as you like.

Interestingly, after getting all four out (87 CBR600) the one that was a total prick to get out, was also completely rooted. I figure the last owner found that one difficult too......

knight rider
17th April 2007, 00:52
I went to supercheap and they had a gadget the is sorted on a spring with a handle to turn it. thought great idea sold. got home went to try it & couldn't get the bloody thing to fit in the hole. it was too fat. so now my brother has a flash looking new tool in his tool box

surfer
17th April 2007, 13:47
Sounds like your bike is in need of a mighty damm good service and a lot of TLC.

Usually when one thing starts to go other things also start to notice at the same time making the original problem harder to fault find and fix. I suggest looking at both fuel and electrical and checking everything out throughly.

Start with the electrical stuff first. If you are changing the plugs, change the ht leads and caps too. Check the charge that the battery is kicking out, also check the battery levels. If it runs well after this, fine but if not keep going and test the charging circuit.

After you have gone through the electrical stuff start on the fuel. There was some good advice about the choke in this thread. You could check the float bowls first for debris as this may indicate whether you have crap in the jets.

Good luck

knight rider
18th April 2007, 00:57
yeah will be getting the air filter & proberly carbs cleaned to. runs sweet now that it has new spark plugs init. has 9s init but if they clog up I'll be using 8s next time. am no mechanic & don't know anything about the electrical side of things either. So it's an expensive tihng to have checked out lol

knight rider
18th April 2007, 01:02
They should do

thats the ones that were in there & have put the same ones in again. was told it may be better to use 8s if the 9s clog up again

knight rider
22nd April 2007, 20:36
today I noticed the enigine coolant was spilling onto the motor. bloody clp thingy was stuffed on the hose so replaced that today aswell. Maybe it's time to sell it????

Crisis management
23rd April 2007, 14:41
The GSXR's are good, strong bikes, so unless it is a complete dog (drinks oil & blows smoke) spend a couple of weekends, and I mean 8 hours a day weekends, working over the bike from front to rear.
Get the fairings off and clean everything.
Poke and wiggle every thing, if it's lose, tighten it up.
Service it, oil, filters and tune.
Clean it and check again.

As you have already found there are heaps of little silly things that can stuff up and on an old bike you have to spend time on it.

Enjoy it and learn!

knight rider
23rd April 2007, 15:33
The GSXR's are good, strong bikes, so unless it is a complete dog (drinks oil & blows smoke) spend a couple of weekends, and I mean 8 hours a day weekends, working over the bike from front to rear.
Get the fairings off and clean everything.
Poke and wiggle every thing, if it's lose, tighten it up.
Service it, oil, filters and tune.
Clean it and check again.

As you have already found there are heaps of little silly things that can stuff up and on an old bike you have to spend time on it.

Enjoy it and learn!

Thanks Chris

knight rider
24th April 2007, 17:47
dropped bike in to bike shop to get seals replaced. Not good news. one of the forks has a grove init which is the reason for the warn fork seal. Anyone have any lying around I can buy? They are the usd forks. bloody hard to find

surfer
25th April 2007, 08:05
dropped bike in to bike shop to get seals replaced. Not good news. one of the forks has a grove init which is the reason for the warn fork seal. Anyone have any lying around I can buy? They are the usd forks. bloody hard to find

If you are really pushed to find a fork you could try 'forkin by frank' also known as Franks Engineering, in the USA. They have a website but this is no more than a brochure. You can email or deal with them over the phone. Can't remember email address but google them.

They supplied me with 10" over fork tubes which were cheaper than having them made in NZ. They carry a wide range of stock. Really quick service and easy to deal with.

I am sure others with more knowledge on this will provide options for you to consider also.

Kickaha
25th April 2007, 08:17
Tarozzi would do them as well
http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/Tarozzi.htm

MWVT
27th April 2007, 09:39
(and this is after grinding the OD down enough to fit)

got home went to try it & couldn't get the bloody thing to fit in the hole. it was too fat. so now my brother has a flash looking new tool in his tool box

Bugger, didn't quite warn you in time

knight rider
28th April 2007, 08:37
lol no worrys was only a couple of bucks