PDA

View Full Version : Foggy helmet?

rossi
14th April 2007, 15:33
probly been asked befor but how do you stop your helmet face sheald from fogging up ?????

ArcherWC
14th April 2007, 15:36
buy a pin-lock visor or fog city insert

Trudes
14th April 2007, 15:40
put cat crap on it

MidnightMike
14th April 2007, 15:42
Rub your spit on it (I think it works) thats what we do with scuba masks.

Or just open the visor a bit.

Trudes
14th April 2007, 15:43
In case you think I'm being funny, I mean this stuff: http://www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=5353
It's awesome stuff!

Quartermile
14th April 2007, 15:45
Don't breathe, always works for me:D

rossi
14th April 2007, 16:00
thanks guys :)
tryed not breathing but just about fell over
will try cat crap and see how that works

Trudes
14th April 2007, 16:05
rub it on with your finger then use a soft chamois to rub it clear, should last about a week or so, then re-apply. Let us know who you get on.

Colapop
14th April 2007, 19:58
Cat crap is good for condensation build up in cold weather but not effective for breath fogged visors. Fog city inserts are apparently the shit... let you know on that one once I get some spending money... :mellow: What is a pin lock visor? I have to keep the visor cracked open a little but that is not good when it's cold and the noise level dramatically increases....

NZsarge
14th April 2007, 20:09
Pin lock is an insert on the interior of the visor with a silicone/rubber seal to create a double glazing effect. The insert is held in place by two pins at opposite ends of the visor. It works very well.

Trudes
14th April 2007, 21:23
I have a fog city insert in one of my visors, it's good, but scratches really easily and is then really nasty when the sun hits it and stuff, but never fogs up. I haven't had any problems with the cat crap, but you do have to re-apply every week or so.

far queue
14th April 2007, 21:40
Pin lock is an insert on the interior of the visor with a silicone/rubber seal to create a double glazing effect. The insert is held in place by two pins at opposite ends of the visor. It works very well.Yep. I recently bought a Shoei Multitec which came with a Pinlock insert and it's great. When I first got it I put the helmet on inside and closed everything up then huffed and puffed to see what would happen - the visor fogged up real bad everywhere except the area covered by the pinlock which remained perfectly clear. Since then I've been on a couple of long rides in crap conditions - 1 day time, coolish & rain plus 1 night time, coolish and rain. Brilliant both times.

Kendog
14th April 2007, 21:45
Cat crap is good for condensation build up in cold weather but not effective for breath fogged visors.

I have been using the crap for months and months and have never had a moment of fogging.

It really is the cats shit.

Nasty
15th April 2007, 08:53
I have been using the crap for months and months and have never had a moment of fogging.

It really is the cats shit.

Tried cat crap and it didn't work for me ... so went the fog visor insert way and had no issues .. .now we have the nolans we have the pinlock which is ok ... prefered the visor inserts myself :)

Kendog
15th April 2007, 08:57
Tried cat crap and it didn't work for me ... so went the fog visor insert way and had no issues .. .now we have the nolans we have the pinlock which is ok ... prefered the visor inserts myself :)

I had the visor insert for a few years, hated how it often caused reflections (due to the second layer) Once I removed the insert I was amazed how clear the view was again.

NZsarge
16th April 2007, 07:53
If you do a fair amount of riding and are removing your visor and pinlock insert for washing on a regular basis like i seem to be they will suffer scratching unless your absolutely anal about the care you take when cleaning them but even then they will eventually will need to be replaced. I've never noticed any reflection issue with my insert in but now i must admit it's about time it was relaced for there is some fine scratches that are reducing my vision from being perfect. I think it's a small price to pay for un-fogged vision on a cold day etc... just my 2 cents...

WasPhantom
17th April 2007, 08:51
I personally use cat crap - it's brilliant stuff eh

speeding_ant
21st April 2007, 18:26
I personally use cat crap - it's brilliant stuff eh

I can agree with that. Cat Crap rules

duckaddict
23rd April 2007, 20:35
Sounds like I should get some of those crap then.

pyrocam
29th April 2007, 20:56
if it fogs up, open it :)

i ussually have it open in town for better visibility, on the motorway if its going to fog I open the vents and sometimes a nudge open does the trick

JimO
29th April 2007, 21:05
put cat crap on it

there is some for sale on tardme

Kittyhawk
29th April 2007, 21:44
Ok so what about when ya wear ya glasses in ya helmet?

(yes Im a 4 eyed nerd)

I think I need window wipers but havent seen any yet.

pyrocam
29th April 2007, 21:48

(yes Im a 4 eyed nerd)

heh! actually there are some posted here ages ago, a little rubber thing that fits over your glove like a ring with a wipey bit. would work ok, not as good as a dry glove but ok.

gw555
11th May 2007, 09:01
I put in a visor insert have to say it works really well BUT I ride on city streets, motorway and open road as my commute and the reflections are bad and I have found that riding from complete darkness to suddenly come into street lights and then back to darkness you lose alot of your vision so I think I am going to take it back out and try something else

speeding_ant
11th May 2007, 14:12
My shoei has a lever that lifts the visor up a few mm's.. That works bloody well with the cat crap. I used to use a visor insert but it pissed me off! Scratches like crazy and it warps light. Never had issues since. Plus cat crap seems to clean your visor and minimises/removes tiny scratches!!

MyGSXF
11th May 2007, 14:30
I tried cat crap, with terrible results. Didn't stop fogging at all.. & just made the rain 'smear' over my visor instead of running off.. which made visability in the dark a friggin great nightmare!!! :angry:

KoroJ
11th May 2007, 18:18
Get yourself an ST!! Then you can ride with the screen up and your visor up and fogging's not a problem.

NotaGoth
11th May 2007, 19:18
Don't breathe, always works for me:D

I was just gonna damn well post that!!!!!!

speeding_ant
12th May 2007, 15:22
I tried cat crap, with terrible results. Didn't stop fogging at all.. & just made the rain 'smear' over my visor instead of running off.. which made visability in the dark a friggin great nightmare!!! :angry:

Uhh.. I hope you realise you put cat crap on the inside of your visor. :dodge: It doesnt really claim that it rids rain either... :P

MyGSXF
12th May 2007, 16:22
Uhh.. I hope you realise you put cat crap on the inside of your visor. :dodge: It doesnt really claim that it rids rain either... :P

:doh: I AM aware that it goes on the inside of ya visor.. :shutup: HOWEVER.. NO where on the packaging does it say NOT to use on the outside.. & it is labelled on the lid as being a "lens cleaner anti-fog".. making it perfectly reasonable to say that it CAN be used on the outside, as a lens cleaner!!! :yes:

speeding_ant
13th May 2007, 00:12
:doh: I AM aware that it goes on the inside of ya visor.. :shutup: HOWEVER.. NO where on the packaging does it say NOT to use on the outside.. & it is labelled on the lid as being a "lens cleaner anti-fog".. making it perfectly reasonable to say that it CAN be used on the outside, as a lens cleaner!!! :yes:

Hehehe. Im not touching that with a 10ft pole!! I figured it out... :dodge:

:D

Big Dog
13th May 2007, 00:26

(yes Im a 4 eyed nerd)

Dunno about optical glasses but glass lens sun glasses were very anti fog when I applied sunlight dish soap and rubbed in until there was no more visible residue.

One spot ought to cover both lenses on your glasses.

You know you have uses too much if you start blowing bubbles out of your rims whenever it rains.

(may pay to check with optician that it will not affect the coatings on your lenses)