PDA

View Full Version : Painted the VFR four hundie a few weeks back

arj127
14th April 2007, 15:37
After losing my complete lower half of the front fairing on a Auckland thursday night ride a few months back, i ordered a new fairing from Just Fairings. Once it arrived i began on fitting the fairing. The fairing comes in two pieces. The front fit perfectly. The bottom half i thought was a little difficult to get on without scraping it, so i decided to laminate a flange to it so that i could cut it in two and bolt it together from either side when fitting. Glen did an awesome job on the fairing, and is a good guy to deal with. Had a plastic repair company in North Shore do some small crack repairs on the back panels, same day turnover, awesome job.
Removed all fairings and plastics and wheels, rubbed them down and sprayed on the elastic primer, followed by two coats of 2k primer. Sprayed the wheels the next day in a metallic gun metal grey. Then rubbed all the plastics back and sprayed them in a 2k metallic green with a few coats of clear for a bit more protection.
Have got all the panels on the bike now and it gives me the feeling of having a new bike again.
Have put new oil in the forks as i have been having problems with them, and a new oil seal is to be pressed into the final drive shortly, followed by new chain and sprockets.
Haven't ridden for about a month and am really getting sick of driving the car now.

bistard
14th April 2007, 15:56
Nice Job!!!
Well Done!!

skidMark
14th April 2007, 17:36
wasn't that the rossi replica origionally?

nice by the way.

ps why is there a chock of wood behind it?

don't you park it in gear?

Madness
14th April 2007, 17:46

It doesn't have a chain in the middle picture Mark, be more observant.

Coyote
14th April 2007, 17:48
Looking brilliant

Get some stickers for it. Honda wing for the tank, maybe some VFR400R's for the sides. It'll look more finished than just a single colour all over. At least in my opinion

Morcs
14th April 2007, 17:51
Good job! looks better than my paint job.

I got the basic decals for mine done by reflections for $150. check out my profile pic.

Coyote
14th April 2007, 18:15
I got the basic decals for mine done by reflections for $150. check out my profile pic.
Where did you get your front fairing from? It looks wicked!

skidMark
14th April 2007, 18:23

your bike looks cool and is the nicest bike to ride i have ever ridden,

gimme lol

arj127
14th April 2007, 18:31
wasn't that the rossi replica origionally?

nice by the way.

Not sure if its a Rossi replica. Was previously black/grey plastics and looking very sad.
Yep, at the time i took those photos, bike was just waiting for the oil seal from Japland

arj127
14th April 2007, 18:33

Your bike looks excellent also. I like what you did around the headlights, makes it look more modern.
I am hoping to get some decals, it does need them

arj127
14th April 2007, 18:34

Front fairing was from Just Fairings in Hamilton. I think it is a direct copy from the original plastics.

skidMark
14th April 2007, 18:35
Not sure if its a Rossi replica. Was previously black/grey plastics and looking very sad.
Yep, at the time i took those photos, bike was just waiting for the oil seal from Japland

oh ok sorry i thought your was another vfr a yellow one that crashed on thursday ride, maybe it was a cbr.

sorry.

arj127
14th April 2007, 18:38
I lost my fairing when i bottomed out on a high speed straight (wont say what speed), the fairing was just completely torn off. The forks were only travelling half there distance at the time thanks to the previous owners setup

skidMark
14th April 2007, 18:41
I lost my fairing when i bottomed out on a high speed straight (wont say what speed), the fairing was just completely torn off. The forks were only travelling half there distance at the time thanks to the previous owners setup

bugger

hang on if they were traveelling half the distance, shouldn't it have bottomed out sooner rather than later?

arj127
14th April 2007, 18:44
bugger

hang on if they were traveelling half the distance, shouldn't it have bottomed out sooner rather than later?

Dunno Still trying to work it out myself. All i know is its a hell of a lot nicer to ride now with full travel in the forks. Dont nuts myself on every driveway i might pull into

Coyote
14th April 2007, 19:05
Front fairing was from Just Fairings in Hamilton. I think it is a direct copy from the original plastics.
Looked like the nose of yours went out further than the original. It looked cool. Maybe it was just the angle of the photo
Edit: whoops, I was on about Morcs bike

arj127
15th April 2007, 09:09
i recovered the seats and added an extra 30mm of foam to the front seat as it is extremely hard after about an hours riding.

Morcs
15th April 2007, 10:31
Your bike looks excellent also. I like what you did around the headlights, makes it look more modern.
I am hoping to get some decals, it does need them

Yeah I just scored a nsr repsol sticker set for $40... bargain...

Coyote
15th April 2007, 10:34
Yeah I just scored a nsr repsol sticker set for $40... bargain...
Trademe? ?

Morcs
15th April 2007, 10:36

Not sure, it has those funny cbr400-like indents round the headlights, painted black they look pretty cool. unfortunately my masking wasnt that neat and had to touch up with a vivid - add some cheap degreaser onto it a few weeks later and the vivid has run.... doh!

Morcs
15th April 2007, 10:37
Trademe? ?

Yep. :yes:

Gonna pick them up tonight and put them on.

Coyote
15th April 2007, 10:41
Not sure, it has those funny cbr400-like indents round the headlights, painted black they look pretty cool. unfortunately my masking wasnt that neat and had to touch up with a vivid - add some cheap degreaser onto it a few weeks later and the vivid has run.... doh!
Yeah, the indents looks that much better than the stock fairing which has a flatter nose. Not that the stock fairing is ugly. Love to know where to get a fairing like that

By the way, I noticed in your profile that you have an '04 ZX10R. Do you perfur the VFR over that?

Morcs
15th April 2007, 10:45
Yeah, the indents looks that much better than the stock fairing which has a flatter nose. Not that the stock fairing is ugly. Love to know where to get a fairing like that

By the way, I noticed in your profile that you have an '04 ZX10R. Do you perfur the VFR over that?

The 10 isnt mine, but use it whenever i like, but i was sooo glad to get the vfr back, yes i do prefer it :) much more fun.

skidMark
15th April 2007, 11:36
The 10 isnt mine, but use it whenever i like, but i was sooo glad to get the vfr back, yes i do prefer it :) much more fun.

you mean after you fix it for your flatmate after you lowsided it :done:

Coyote
15th April 2007, 12:32
Interesting. The ZX10R is one of my dream bikes. Maybe it shouldn't be...

Morcs
15th April 2007, 14:53
Interesting. The ZX10R is one of my dream bikes. Maybe it shouldn't be...

Dream bikes 99% of the time end up being a disappointment...

Once you get over how nuts it is then its not all that, I couldnt live with one...

Ride a vfr, or better still get a mint rvf400 from japan... :drool:

Coyote
15th April 2007, 17:26
Dream bikes 99% of the time end up being a disappointment...

Once you get over how nuts it is then its not all that, I couldnt live with one...

Ride a vfr, or better still get a mint rvf400 from japan... :drool:
I rode a GSXR600K5, that didn't dissapoint in the slightest (of course I've never lived with it)

There isn't any 400's around and I've yet to test ride one. For the time being, the bike I have my eye on is the FZR1000 on trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=95379124). Went to see it today and it looked great (due to insurance I wasn't able to test ride it, but if I had the cash and was serious I probably could). I'm going to the bank this week and finding out what I can afford