PDA

View Full Version : The Big Black Lump is GONE!!

Leong
14th April 2007, 18:23
Went into Colemans this morning to get a fairing bolt for $3 and came away spending a bit more.!!

After spending last weekend (Colemans closed) trolling the bike shops and internet looking at exhaust systems I found Colemans had exactly what I wanted in stock, AND they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. And they had a Power Commander III USB off a crashed bike for sale at a good price! Details - Arrow Thunder Aluminium with mid pipe - headers can be fitted later if desired.

So I spend this afternoon fitting it. Probably only took half an hour to fit. The new parts weighed 2.8kg and the stock part replaced weighed 6.2kg. Took a few photos and video before and after. The big black lump is the stock muffler that seems to be the focus of all photos of me on my bike (see profile pic).

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AERT97ElP88"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AERT97ElP88" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

So now the bike has a DNA air filter and this Arrow slip on exhaust which has a removeable baffle. I have the PCIII USB yet to be fitted. Currently I know nothing about the PCIII, but would like to have it fitted and the bike dynotuned ideally before the MotoTT trackday on Friday.

Anyone have any advice on the (used) Power Commander? I'll be looking at the Dynojet website tonight.

Any advice on who to go to for dyno tuning? And should the dynotuning be done with the baffle out to optimise performance at the track, and what happens when I put the baffle back in? Any help/advice appreciated.

Haven't ridden it yet - hope for good weather tomorrow!

skidMark
14th April 2007, 18:28
ooo very very nice, drooolies

boomer
14th April 2007, 18:46
very nice!!!

LEAVE THE BAFFLE OUT MATE!!!

and guys.. any exhaust you want or other aftermarket bits.. speak to Jaison @ www.motostyle.co.nz cheaper than anywhere in NZ and prolly cheaper than you can get from overseas.. friendly, helpful and will help fit it!!!

skidMark
14th April 2007, 18:55
very nice!!!

LEAVE THE BAFFLE OUT MATE!!!

and guys.. any exhaust you want or other aftermarket bits.. speak to Jaison @ www.motorstyle.co.nz (http://www.motorstyle.co.nz) cheaper than anywhere in NZ and prolly cheaper than you can get from overseas.. friendly, helpful and will help fit it!!!

tried that link didn't work , did you mean, www.motostyle.co.nz (http://www.motostyle.co.nz) ?

Croft
14th April 2007, 19:15
Ooooooh.... sounds :yes: L O V E L Y ! ! ! :Punk: Ahhhhhh.... :love: :love:

T.I.E
14th April 2007, 19:28
and nice video work too.
sounding way better.

R6_kid
14th April 2007, 19:34
Now we just gotta figure out a way of making YOU faster... :dodge:

Looking good mate, when is your next track outing?

Back Fire
14th April 2007, 19:39
very nice! that stocker thing is a shocker, lookin muuuuch sweeter

Kendog
14th April 2007, 20:59
When you first fired up the new pipe I thought whats the big deal (other than weight loss). But once the baffle was removed :drool:

Leong
14th April 2007, 21:18
Thanks guys!!

Ooooooh.... sounds :yes: L O V E L Y ! ! ! :Punk: Ahhhhhh.... :love: :love:
You know you want one!!!

Looking good mate, when is your next track outing?
Next Fridays MotoTT, then the following Saturdays Suzuki, then Kiwitrackdays and KB Double!! Can't say I'm not working on going faster eh? ( Hmmm... may need tyres before KB trackday :no: )

When you first fired up the new pipe I thought whats the big deal (other than weight loss). But once the baffle was removed :drool:

I'll know better tomorrow, but with baffles in the sound is quite refined. Be interesting to hear what it sounds like at higher revs under load....

Re the PCIII - I downloaded the Power Commander software, maps, installation guides etc off the net and found that the only thing I need to get things up and running is a wire tap, which I probably have in the toolbox somewhere...... looking forward to tomorrow!! :2thumbsup: :banana: :scooter:

boomer
14th April 2007, 21:39

i'd be careful Gareth...

YOU gotta step up outta the slow AND THEN the medium groups first .. THEN you gotta pick ya pace up to catch Leong 6.... he's gettin fast mate

K6K
14th April 2007, 22:45
Very nice Leong...your def going to enjoy that on the track. Not only the, what at least 5hp? you gained but the weight loss is very significant also.
I also agree with boomer...Leong is not slow and will def do these mods justice!

Leong
15th April 2007, 18:54
Well... got all the jobs done early so I could play with the bike in the afternoon. First ride and it is LOUD, but maybe not as loud as RM125king's R6. Thought there may have been a bit more midrange but then on one very familiar uphill stretch it bogged down real bad so maybe not.

Came home and started intalling the Power Commander. Need to let the bike cool down. :doh: Easy except for trying to get throttle position sensor's connector off. Duckaddict and Red1 arrive and eventually we get it off. The rest of the job is straightforward. Put it back together, turn the power on and plug the laptop in and get a serial number then error communicating with power commander. Hmmm. Decide to see if the bike will start even though the fuel map on the power commander is probably for another bike. Starts fine - we plug the laptop in and learn that the engine needs to be running for the Power Commander to communicate with the Laptop. :yes: Find that the fuel map in the PC is for a CBR600 with Micron can. Open the fuel map I downloaded for the GSX-R600 with Arrow Slip on and save it to the PC.

So the three of us go for a ride. :scooter: Bike is MUCH louder than standard (baffle out) We were out for about an hour and my ears are still ringing... and I had earplugs in. DUckaddick says he can hear my bike over his own unless he's on the throttle - and he wasn't following that closely! :gob: Pleased to say that I was able to notice the change that the power commander made. There is definitely more power in the midrange. Powering out of some familiar corners I could feel the front lift like the 07 CBR600RR did at the track. My bike has never done that before!!! :gob: Also makes an incredible noise high in the rev range under full throttle.

Can't wait to try this on the track where you can do this for more than a couple of seconds in first! :Punk:

Still like some advice on setting up the power commander on the dyno.......anyone else done this?

NinjaBoy
15th April 2007, 20:06
aaaaahhh.... you went for a ride without me ! Doesn't matter... I had a good solo ride late afternoon...

The new exhuast sounded good this morning and looks better in real life.

Just when I thought I was going to make some progress at keeping up with you on the track, you've upp'ed the stakes again.. oh well where would the challenge come from without it :yes:

redr1
17th April 2007, 14:46
[QUOTE=Leong;1014420] DUckaddick says he can hear my bike over his own unless he's on the throttle - and he wasn't following that closely!
Powering out of some familiar corners I could feel the front lift like the 07 CBR600RR did at the track.

Yeah, definately sounds grunty and I was barely keeping up under acceleration on the R1. Now I am thinking the R1 needs a Power Commander and maybe a turbo kit as well to keep up with you on the track.
Would be most interesting to see how you go with a dyno tune.

Finn
17th April 2007, 15:14
This thread had me going for a while. I thought Parekura Horomia had resigned.

Scouse
17th April 2007, 15:33
Went into Colemans this morning to get a fairing bolt for $3 and came away spending a bit more.!!

After spending last weekend (Colemans closed) trolling the bike shops and internet looking at exhaust systems I found Colemans had exactly what I wanted in stock, AND they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. And they had a Power Commander III USB off a crashed bike for sale at a good price! Details - Arrow Thunder Aluminium with mid pipe - headers can be fitted later if desired.

So I spend this afternoon fitting it. Probably only took half an hour to fit. The new parts weighed 2.8kg and the stock part replaced weighed 6.2kg. Took a few photos and video before and after. The big black lump is the stock muffler that seems to be the focus of all photos of me on my bike (see profile pic).So now the bike has a DNA air filter and this Arrow slip on exhaust which has a removeable baffle. I have the PCIII USB yet to be fitted. Currently I know nothing about the PCIII, but would like to have it fitted and the bike dynotuned ideally before the MotoTT trackday on Friday.

Anyone have any advice on the (used) Power Commander? I'll be looking at the Dynojet website tonight.

Any advice on who to go to for dyno tuning? And should the dynotuning be done with the baffle out to optimise performance at the track, and what happens when I put the baffle back in? Any help/advice appreciated.

Haven't ridden it yet - hope for good weather tomorrow!Your toe nails look dirty in that third photo

SPman
17th April 2007, 15:58
Followed a 600 with a setup like yours over here and, you're right, they are LOUD!
Could distinctly hear this guy from 1/2 a Km away, mixed in with a bunch of 750's and 1000's!

He still couldn't outrun the 1300 through the home straight twisties, though......

geoffm
17th April 2007, 21:47
Be interesting to run them back to back on the dyno, to see what works best. If you want to run it up on mine, letme know. I assume you will need a Power COmmander or similar to adjust the jetting.
Bring beer.
Geoff