PDA

View Full Version : Zero-sum game?

Hitcher
16th April 2007, 13:19
Why would anybody wear a back protector AND a backpack?

For that matter, why would anybody even slightly interested in riding safety wear a backpack?

Finn
16th April 2007, 13:23

For that matter, why would anybody even slightly interested in riding safety wear a backpack?

Speak English idiot.

Finn
16th April 2007, 13:25
Should I have put a comma after English?

Hitcher
16th April 2007, 13:25
Speak English idiot.

Thank you for your contribution. A midget with a stick is on their way round. Enjoy.

Cajun
16th April 2007, 13:26
I do this all the time.

I often ride with a small pack with nothing in it, since i am so use to wearing a pack.

Not all of us want a bike which has hard bags, or doesn't want to put a silly pack rack on,

I carry a laptop with my lunch and other misc stuff, every day to work (no back protector), when going to akl for work, i wear back protector, laptop and other misc stuff.

Going for blast, i wear back protector, with a small bag i sometimes put a camera, or garage door opener and house keys, since i only have a small pocket in leathers and this is where my cellphone and wallet go. this backpack sometimes carrys a bottle of drink of some kind (mostly V)

Devil
16th April 2007, 13:26

Yeah, curse those people carting their papers, wallet and light rain jacket in a backpack. They should stuff them all down the front of their pants.

Squeak the Rat
16th April 2007, 13:27

I'd have thought that made sense. They'd wear a back protector because there might be something solid in the backpack... :Police:

Depends what's in the backpack. I often carry a shirt and pair of pants to work in a backpack - hardly a high risk affair......

RC1
16th April 2007, 13:27

how does wearing a backpack prevent you from riding safely???

skelstar
16th April 2007, 13:31
Yep, I wear a backpack with back-protector. Do my trips in that configuration.

Bit of a random thread/question hitch. Care to make a point?

sunhuntin
16th April 2007, 13:32
how does wearing a backpack prevent you from riding safely???

long trips, it would likely wear you out quicker. if i didnt have a top box, id wear one, but dont like the feel of having my arms restricted that much. i usually bungy one onto the seat behind me.

hell... i rode home with two of mums dinner plates shoved down my shirt the other night [they would have chipped in the box] imagine the mess if id come off?? mums plates would have been destroyed! :shit:

TerminalAddict
16th April 2007, 13:35
Yeah, curse those people carting their papers, wallet and light rain jacket in a backpack. They should stuff them all down the front of their pants.

or are you just VERY VERY pleased to see me?

Hitcher
16th April 2007, 13:38
Bit of a random thread/question hitch. Care to make a point?

I'm sort of feeling a bit random, but this has been bothering me for a while.

If one comes off and lands on a backpack (presuming one is wearing one), then some sort of related injury should probably result. Worst case, the thing will act as a fulcrum and, combined with greater head mass from wearing a helmet, one could snap one's neck. Levels of related injury are presumably proportional to the nature of material in the backback.

Wearing a back protector implies, from its very name, a desire to protect one's back. Wearing a backpack presumes that one does not give a stuff about one's back, being more vainly concerned about the appearance of one's bike that one does not wish to fit some "crude" packrack structure to it, thus buggering its sprotsbike aesthetic. Combining the two is a bit like washing one's Dunkin Donut(TM) down with Diet Coke(TM)?

Grub
16th April 2007, 13:40
I'm kind of wondering too what is unsafe about wearing a backpack. I'm almost never without one on and always feel that it affords me extra protection. I don't own a back protector - should I?

RC1
16th April 2007, 13:42
long trips, it would likely wear you out quicker.

sorry i dont agree imho i have never had this trouble on longer trips myself wearing a back,and nothing suggest hitcher was talking about long trips from what i read

skelstar
16th April 2007, 13:42
Wearing a back protector implies, from its very name, a desire to protect one's back. Wearing a backpack presumes that one does not give a stuff about one's back, being more vainly concerned about the appearance of one's bike that one does not wish to fit some "crude" packrack structure to it, thus buggering its sprotsbike aesthetic. Combining the two is a bit like washing one's Dunkin Donut(TM) down with Diet Coke(TM)?
Fair comment, but I figure a back-protector is going to counter a large proportion of the effect that a backpack is going to have anyway.

Besides, people draw the line at safety features at different points. Some people think that no matter what you do motorcycling is too dangerous fullstop and will drive a cage instead.

Hitcher
16th April 2007, 13:48
Fair comment, but I figure a back-protector is going to counter a large proportion of the effect that a backpack is going to have anyway.

Apart from the head-snap risk, possibly. Hence my question of it being a zero-sum game?

sunhuntin
16th April 2007, 13:59
sorry i dont agree imho i have never had this trouble on longer trips myself wearing a back,and nothing suggest hitcher was talking about long trips from what i read

was just a thought...ive personally never ridden longer than 30 mins with a pack on, so wouldnt know.

Grub
16th April 2007, 14:14
... thus buggering its sprotsbike aesthetic.

My god, Hitcher, what's happened? You have allowed a mis-spelling into a post. The word is 'sportsbike' or even more correctly 'sports bike'.

If your self-flagellation gets out of hand, may I please have first dibs on the givi screen from your estate?

cowboyz
16th April 2007, 14:15

some of us dont have the room there..............

long trips, it would likely wear you out quicker. if i didnt have a top box, id wear one, but dont like the feel of having my arms restricted that much. i usually bungy one onto the seat behind me.

hell... i rode home with two of mums dinner plates shoved down my shirt the other night [they would have chipped in the box] imagine the mess if id come off?? mums plates would have been destroyed! :shit:

I rode the 4 points rally with a pack on my back. 2500km in the weekend. I started to feel it for the last 6-700km cause it pissed down with rain and my leathers were heavy and pack was real heavy. If it had stayed fine I would have been fine. Guess it depends how comfy your pack is really.

skelstar
16th April 2007, 14:17
My god, Hitcher, what's happened? You have allowed a mis-spelling into a post. The word is 'sportsbike' or even more correctly 'sports bike'.
May I?

Its a KB-ism.

Grub
16th April 2007, 14:20
May I?

Its a KB-ism.

Stop it, you're spoiling the fun. Besides, would Jesus fart in church just because half the congregation do?

Pwalo
16th April 2007, 14:21
I've only times I've come off a bike I've been wearing a backpack. Didn't seem to make things worse.

Mind you I was carrying a tyre earosol filler in the outside pocket of may backpack during my highside, and was relieved looking back that I hadn't landed on that. Much better buggering your wrists and helmet.

skelstar
16th April 2007, 14:21
Just tired of the BDOTWANKING :)

Paul in NZ
16th April 2007, 14:24
OK - I'm getting worried now....

I can't remember all the technical stuff to navigate a race track.

My eyes glaze over regarding the modern mechanics of riding. I hear people talking about 'lines' and stuff and am dissapointed it's not about recreational drugs.

I routinely wear a backpack because there is no other way to carry stuff on the Triumph and it's OK on the Guzzi too......

My wife does not have her own KB log in or even her own bike (yet)

I think I either need to give up KB or motorcycling...

Paul in NZ
16th April 2007, 14:25
Stop it, you're spoiling the fun. Besides, would Jesus fart in church just because half the congregation do?

Jesus never went to a church - christianity hadn't been invented

Devil
16th April 2007, 14:38
some of us dont have the room there..............

Then your pants are too small, budgie smuggler. :done:

Grub
16th April 2007, 14:50

Spoil sport

Hitcher
16th April 2007, 14:53

It's part of the Official Kiwi Biker Family of Bikes:

Sprotsbike
Scroter
Crusier
Tourier

Grub
16th April 2007, 14:57
Exactly ... I rest my case :)

Hitcher
16th April 2007, 14:57
Or your backpack?

Sniper
16th April 2007, 15:07
What about Handbag?

Which reminds me... Jim2, where is or KB Wiki?

Chisanga
16th April 2007, 15:16
I wear a backpack for my Uni stuff, although if I have LOTS Of things (heavy library books etc.) I will get a lift in instead as it gets uncomfortable. THe simple truth is I can't afford a packrack just yet, but it is definately on the list of wants for my VTR

RantyDave
16th April 2007, 15:32
I've always been a tad concerned about the fact that a back pack has loops around my shoulders...

I'd taken it as read that the thing you want to do when falling off a motorcycle is to slide down the road decellerating gently as you went. Anything that causes you to decellerate more quickly, such as hitting a curb, or a tree, or a truck, is bad. Hence the way it is with leathers - few things on the outside that are able to catch, right?

So the backpack being solidly attached to my shoulders would not be a good thing when something on the backpack catches and tries to tear it off - taking my shoulders with it. This is also the reason I bungy the backpack onto the back of my bike every day despite the apparently greater risk to it's contents.

Not that I'm right, though. Comments?

Dave

Jantar
16th April 2007, 15:33
I have ridden while wearing a back pack (36 years ago) but I soon decided that it made me too top heavy and was tiring if it involved a long trip. Then I discovered these marvelous items called bungy cords, and even without a packrack it is possible to strap quite large backpacks onto the rear seat and not have to wear them. :yes:

skelstar
16th April 2007, 15:33
when something on the backpack catches and tries to tear it off - taking my shoulders with it.
I'm hoping my shoulders are stronger than the bits that are going to 'catch' on my backpack.

Black Bandit
16th April 2007, 20:57
A quality backpack was one of the first accessories I bought when I got my bike and I use it almost everyday. It has chest and waist straps for additional support and a rain cover for the wet stuff. I think it's great! :yes:

I can see how a heavily loaded backpack, packed with say 10 textbooks, could cause discomfort while riding and potential drama in an accident. A recent Superbike mag has a top ten review for backpacks available in the UK - the winner is a Joe Rocket Blaster which has an enourmous 47.5 litres of carrying capacity! (even has a compartment for a spare lid):gob: I tend to carry a few essentials - lunch, work shoes, spare visor and dry suit.

I've never considered my backpack to be inherently dangerous. For me the backpack is a hugely useful item.:niceone:

As far as wearing a back protector and backpack at the same time - why bother?:2thumbsup

gijoe1313
16th April 2007, 21:20
I have merrily worn my backpack to Wellywood and on such long diversions, I have always felt comfortable and never given it a second thought. I'm sure Pikachu who has ridden pillion in it many times has only positives about it also! :yes:

And I happen to like my TMNT metal shell plates on the back of it! :lol:

Rotor
16th April 2007, 21:28
QUOTE:Why would someone wear a back protector as well as a backpack?
Why would anyone wear shorts or no jacket or no gloves?
Because they can.
I wear full leathers, boots, full face helmet (never been dropped) but choose to not wear gloves when I can because I can

imdying
16th April 2007, 22:00
It's a toss up between getting hurt from wearing a backpack, to getting trapped and dragged by a pack rack.

Neither of which I have even heard of happening to anyone.

Jantar
16th April 2007, 22:20
It's a toss up between getting hurt from wearing a backpack, to getting trapped and dragged by a pack rack.

Neither of which I have even heard of happening to anyone.
I do know riders who have suffered the first of your options, but none that have suffered the second.

Grahameeboy
16th April 2007, 22:25

Some of us ain't g ot room to do that!!!

imdying
16th April 2007, 22:33
I do know riders who have suffered the first of your options, but none that have suffered the second.Seems just as likely, or more, given the way some people load them.

more_fasterer
17th April 2007, 12:19
A quality backpack was one of the first accessories I bought when I got my bike and I use it almost everyday. It has chest and waist straps for additional support and a rain cover for the wet stuff. I think it's great! :yes:

Me too. The backpack's not very large (8.5L) but enough for what I carry on the bike. About the most solid thing I've carried was a laptop inside its own carry case.
My teknic jacket has a small back protector so I would be relying on this to spread the load should I go down back-first with something solid in the backpack.

I'm willing to accept that risk, just like I'm willing to accept that the next blind corner may have unsignposted fresh gravel all over it (as happened last night) :angry:

SPman
17th April 2007, 13:05
Having binned, wearing both a back protector and a backpack at the time, one of the straps immediately ripped off the backpack and it divested itself of my body well before I stopped - not that I slid/flopped very far - it was mainly air time!
The busted rib I got was from the pointy rock I landed on, which just missed the edge of the back protector!
The camera in the pack was unharmed so I could immediately start taking snaps of the debris.
Dunno what that proves, but I prefer not to wear a backpack these days.

cowpoos
17th April 2007, 13:10
Apart from the head-snap risk, possibly. Hence my question of it being a zero-sum game?
back protectors are designed to bend one way...[forward]...

Hitcher
17th April 2007, 13:33

Exactly my point. Bring me a crayon and I'll draw you a picture.

cowpoos
17th April 2007, 13:39
Exactly my point. Bring me a crayon and I'll draw you a picture.
use microsoft paint...I think I get what your trying to say...its just that it don't really work like that...other wise leathers wouldn't have areo hump thingies on them for racers!!

Hitcher
17th April 2007, 13:42
use microsoft paint...I think I get what your trying to say...its just that it don't really work like that...other wise leathers wouldn't have areo hump thingies on them for racers!!

Yes, but the "hump" is an integral part of the rider's leathers, and it sits higher up the rider's back than does a backpack AND it's deliberately intended to mitigate the sort of head-snap injury that concerns me. I cannot for one moment see how a Barbie bag that's slung over a rider's shoulders could even attempt to provide the same level of protection.

cowpoos
17th April 2007, 13:47
Yes, but the "hump" is an integral part of the rider's leathers, and it sits higher up the rider's back than does a backpack AND it's deliberately intended to mitigate the sort of head-snap injury that concerns me. I cannot for one moment see how a Barbie bag that's slung over a rider's shoulders could even attempt to provide the same level of protection.
fair comment...but I can't see where you believe the forces will be different...during an intial impact they all happen at the same time...its not like a ocean wave gradually traveling the length of your spine...like the forces on a stock whip...

Freakshow
17th April 2007, 13:54
Yes, but the "hump" is an integral part of the rider's leathers, and it sits higher up the rider's back than does a backpack AND it's deliberately intended to mitigate the sort of head-snap injury that concerns me.

I thought it was there for erobar(tm)dynamics.

And regarding a backpack catching??? there are about a thousand threads that are likly to break and rip before you reach the webbing frame that connects to the straps.

I would have thought having a laptop of hard leather folder in your backpack would be a safety feature as if hit something on your back it would spread the impact across a greater surface area???

I am guessing landing on a lunch box would hurt.

imdying
17th April 2007, 14:34
back protectors are designed to bend one way...[forward]...Up to a point of course, nothing is unbreakable. Perhaps a backpack would push it past that point.

Daffyd
17th April 2007, 15:24

Yes he did. He went to the synagogue as a child.

Black Bandit
17th April 2007, 18:46
Having binned, wearing both a back protector and a backpack at the time, one of the straps immediately ripped off the backpack and it divested itself of my body well before I stopped

Ah, I think I get it. Why don't you guys just spit it out - no need to be so cryptic - how's a young grasshopper like me ever going to learn from you. :innocent:

So the back protector's role is to prevent a certain scenario when you have an off - say landing face first and the back of your legs try to say hello to the back of your head? :pinch:

I can see how a backpack is not going to be much use in preventing that. So then we should all be wearing back protectors - all the gear all the time? :(

*goes to see how much back protectors cost*

rogson
17th April 2007, 19:31
.....For that matter, why would anybody even slightly interested in riding safety wear a backpack?

To get the groceries home?