PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel helmet, what next?

Qkchk
16th April 2007, 14:39
Havin a squiz on Tardme and came across these new helmets. Here is a quote taken from the page;

"In an industry first, the upper part of the shell is made from a special ultra-light stainless steel offering excellent impact protection."

Stainless Steel? Heck, now we can bounce off the damn road.......... :weird:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=96140406

breakaway
16th April 2007, 15:00
I read that those helmets (non full face) are notorious for coming off in the event of a crash, therefore providing little or no protection.

vifferman
16th April 2007, 15:14
... but presumably a nice display of sparks.

LardEmbargo
16th April 2007, 15:23
"In an industry first, the upper part of the shell is made from a special ultra-light stainless steel offering excellent impact protection."

mmm, stainless steel. For the man who's helmet isn't shiny enough.

Or who'd like to have a helmet he can spend a long time, you know, polishing I guess : )

S&S
16th April 2007, 15:55
Didn't Luke Skywalker have one of those in Starwars

Paul in NZ
16th April 2007, 17:19
Looks like those hex pensive jobbies in the classic bike mags which wot i study in the dunny.... (yes yes - I said jobbies and dunny - deal with it)

I think a chap could look pretty spiffy on his classic steed in such a lid..

mstriumph
16th April 2007, 18:07
... but presumably a nice display of sparks. and an end to those endless debates about how best to remove a downed biker's helmet following an accident ............

NighthawkNZ
16th April 2007, 18:48
Didn't Luke Skywalker have one of those in Starwars

nah that was his dad in black in his younger days

Swoop
16th April 2007, 20:04
COOL!!!

Turn it upside down and place it on top of an open fire. This will boil the water for your tea or coffee in it!!!!!

Madness
16th April 2007, 20:14
there would no longer be a need for lining your helmet with tinfoil! Huge saving$

Rotor
16th April 2007, 21:03
At least it would match the colour of my bussa but I like my face to much to wear a open face

kensuem
16th April 2007, 23:52
Cromwell must be one of the best known helmet manufacturers in Europe.
These helmets are advertised in the Uk at 249Pounds Sterling.
Have a look at www.designerhelmets.com

Bnonn
17th April 2007, 08:26
If you're going for an open-face helmet, I can't see this being less safe than anything else. Take a normal helmet, and stick a lightweight stainless shell on top. The stainless steel will dent, so it shouldn't adversely affect any intended crumple effects from the polymer shell underneath, while at the same time it will offer an extra barrier zone. Slightly heavier, no doubt, and more expensive, but I can't imagine that a stainless steel outer would adversely affect performance.

NordieBoy
17th April 2007, 09:09
950 grams.
Hmmm, NZ road legal?

xwhatsit
17th April 2007, 13:49
Yep, apparently it's got `full European ECE R22-05 approval'.

It's made by Cromwell. Like Kensuem says, they're a super popular and long-running brand. That's a sweet helmet, I like it best in black I think. Check this out: http://www.royalenfield.co.nz/cromwell/Cromwell-light.pdf

Toaster
17th April 2007, 14:28
I read that those helmets (non full face) are notorious for coming off in the event of a crash, therefore providing little or no protection.

I recall going to a fatal motorcycle crash one night where the guy's (very old) helmet strap broke and he face-planted onto the road. I don't need to elaborate. Pays to buy good helmets and replace them once they age. :scooter:

NordieBoy
17th April 2007, 17:22
It's made by Cromwell. Like Kensuem says, they're a super popular and long-running brand. That's a sweet helmet, I like it best in black I think. Check this out: http://www.royalenfield.co.nz/cromwell/Cromwell-light.pdf

Wow.
T.E.Lawrence, George Orwell, King George VI, Sir Malcolm Campbell...
Thems Cromwells have been around for a while...

marty
17th April 2007, 18:30
i recall going to a fatal where the guys full face helmet stayed on his head.

unfortunately his head wasn't connected to his body.

those full face helmets are dangerous......

xwhatsit
17th April 2007, 22:24
i recall going to a fatal where the guys full face helmet stayed on his head.

unfortunately his head wasn't connected to his body.

those full face helmets are dangerous......

Lol, exactly right. The danger of anecdotes.