PDA

View Full Version : DR650 electrical query

moko
17th April 2007, 03:53
Bought myself a 96 DR650 just before Christmas.To cut a long story short the previous owner managed to melt a good part of the back of the wiring loom while welding the exhaust.Being an honest bloke he didn't tell me and the first I learnt was when the headlight started sending morse code messages to bemused motorists.Taking the seat off revealed a horrific mess of bodged-up spaghetti with bare wires and some really nasty "repair" work.
I'm not sure which models were sold in N.Z. so not sure if anyone here can help but here goes.I've found a good condition loom very cheap from a 94 DR650RSE,this is the model with the twin exhausts and fairing,same style as the Honda Dominator.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/Suzuki%20DR650%20RS%2092.jpg

My bike is newer and a different model(think it's an R) but looks to me to be the same apart from the exhaust and plastic,mine has a single silencer and small cowl like the later models,both are the older 640 motor rather than the later 644.So...anyone know if the looms are the same?

NordieBoy
17th April 2007, 07:56
Should be the same loom, only the bodywork is different.

moko
17th April 2007, 08:30
Cheers mate,I'll give it a go then.

cooneyr
17th April 2007, 20:16
If the cluch cover is the same as yours then most likely the same as Nordi said. Other differences as well but clutch cover is really obvious.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
17th April 2007, 20:55
Check it out against the pics at...
http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR650.shtml

moko
29th April 2007, 04:52
Tracked myself down a good condition harness,had to scour the net but got one coming from Germany.Turns out that there are differences between the 94 and 95 models,mine has the fusebox and reg/rectifier in totally different places,94 loom could have been modded but I'm glad I put in a bit of extra effort and got the right part,hopefully have her sorted within a couple of weeks.

cooneyr
29th April 2007, 08:33
Well done. Glad you did some research and didnt just listen to some peeps on the other end of a compter.

Thanks for the microfishe link too!
Cheers R