PDA

View Full Version : Desert Storm 07

Fryin Finn
17th April 2007, 10:45
By the time we unloaded the bikes a thin misty rain had settled in, pushed along by a biting southerly breeze. Passing thoughts of last years rain saturated fiasco stirred excitement levels. I could have got around no sweat last year if only there were 1500 less riders out there. I'm sure this years limit of 1000 riders would create less problems on the more difficult stretches.

Well almost. There was only one bottleneck all day but everyone must have been caught up in it on a steepish uphill track. Several of us dived into the bush for a challenging but only net gain of 150m. Everyone was turned back to follow the novice route out. From then on the ride was a doddle. Well nearly apart from the endless slippery ruts and tree roots which were clearly the beginnings of black holes as they sucked the front wheels into them at every opportunity.

The correct technique for dealing with these was to stand up and go fast finding lines that criss crossed the ruts where the back wheel snapped in both directions trapped in the ruts but kept forward momentum. Occasionally the front wheel got loose but the Michelin MS3 front tyre kept me safe.

But you can't stand up all day so the flailing leg technique was employed to maintain balance and forward momentum. Soon I was riding relaxed with only a semblance of control, stalling a couple of times but managing to stay aboard.

It was a relief to hit the whooped out sandy sections of track pogoing from hump to hump imagining how Chad or Ricky would be handling it. A bit better than me I daresay. But yahay no mud for a while - just a short while.
We arrived back 3 hours and 65km later for a bite to eat for lunch, hook up the helmet cam, refuel and back at it. More of the same but slipperier with deeper ruts and more tree roots but far less riders around. This lap took only 2 hours mostly non stop to maximise the Hel cam 93 min riding footage.

We stopped to watch the post ride activities but it was cold and my muscles were starting to ache so I sat in the van until ready to leave.

Back at the motel I rewound and fired up the helmet cam only to find I filmed the last 3 minutes of the ride. The lens unit failed to operate until I crashed with a perfectly executed barrel roll (I'm shaped like a barrel so this comes naturally)

On sunday we sallied forth on the Western loop after finding the 20km challenge loop was closed. However there were enough Expert loops to keep things very interesting. Included was the hill that terminated the ride for us last year, easily ridden, without the numbers of lesser skilled riders to deal with.

I enjoyed the western loop but only did 1 lap as I was sick of the sight of so much mud. Half way round I remembered I had a camera with me so a few pikkies attached.

I'm really pissed off as I got virtually no helmet cam footage which means I'll have to come back next year - darn it. Every year the same old story.

bistard
17th April 2007, 10:50
Ha Ha "Barrell Roll"
Good write up Finn!!

Buddy L
17th April 2007, 19:46
[QUOTE=Fryin Finn;1016603]

I enjoyed the western loop but only did 1 lap as I was sick of the sight of so much mud. Half way round I remembered I had a camera with me so a few pikkies attached.

QUOTE]

How have you got the camera attached to your helmet? i trying to get mine attached but having troubles

merv
17th April 2007, 20:27
Looks like a great experience.

barty5
18th April 2007, 08:02
QUOTE]

How have you got the camera attached to your helmet? i trying to get mine attached but having troubles[/QUOTE]

what sorta cam you got ive got one of the sienctific one cut the part of the clip thats for your handle bars so it sits flat then drilled small hole in helmet low down on side and just bolt it on sweet.

F5 Dave
18th April 2007, 10:02
Heya Finn, the guys we were staying with ended up going to catch up with some guys in a big unit so we ended up there for chow or we wud ave called.

Sat I decided that I was going to do the 2nd loop non stop, (stopped once on first loop) worked well, ended up riding some of the sections like the Wiggles looking like I displayed some talent (track goes snaking from berm to berm so some wild out of control acceleration is safely guided back on course every 50 metres).

Sunday was a different matter, despite recovering from the mild hangover I set off on the western loop & decided I was tuned up from Saturday so I'd be able to blitz on ahead & avoid the bottle necks while these other chumps were still finding their stride. Bang on the ground. Ohwww a little stiff picking the bike up, carry on. I then started to realise that I was struggling on the mud that yesterday I was fine on.

Further on I couldn't quite decide if I was Fozzy Bear or the Swedish Chef, but for certain I was riding like a complete Muppet.

Fell off about 4 times, by then I'd had enough. Extra speed was only making me crash at a faster speed.

I struggled on taking a couple of the easy ways & then just as I was starting to enjoy myself the throttle cable broke. - Just as it had on the sunday Desert Storm 2 years back. Fortunately then some kindly gentleman (F.Finn) I was riding with lent me some vice grips & that made for an interesting ride back.

This time it was 5 min struggling to get the duct tape off the ends of the spare cable & another 10 fitting it.

Enough was enough so one lap only. J-Lo showed up but was done too so the early drive back & clean bikes.

Maybe it will be drier next year?

Fryin Finn
18th April 2007, 12:35
QUOTE]

How have you got the camera attached to your helmet? i trying to get mine attached but having troubles

what sorta cam you got ive got one of the sienctific one cut the part of the clip thats for your handle bars so it sits flat then drilled small hole in helmet low down on side and just bolt it on sweet.[/QUOTE]

My Hel cam came with Velcro strips with adhesive to one side. On my dirt bike helmet I have velcro'd the underside of the peak to secure the lens and on my road bike helmet I have velcro'd the side of my visor. I'm looking at setting up a bracket arrangement on my pack frame to video over my shoulder. One day, probably never.

I fired up the hel cam last night at home and it worked perfectly - I guess God dosen't want me to hel cam the desert storm and won't tell me directly. Or saving it all for a sunny day - please can we have some next year.

Dave - riding in mud can play tricks with you - just as you think you are riding good, splat, down you go. Just remember not to put your hands out to save you hitting the ground - use your face. Getting mud on the grips is a giant pain in the arse. My barrel roll technique helps avoid this.

Toaster
18th April 2007, 12:44
Looks like great fun!

chris
18th April 2007, 12:50
a steepish uphill track
Lucky bugger, where did you find that...?

F5 Dave
18th April 2007, 14:00
He did say steepish let me tell you it is when you have to ride up it with some vice grips as a throttle as I broke the cable at the bottom of this hill 2 yrs ago.
on day one I went up the Razorback expert No quads loop. Just as some turkey on a quad goes up. Gee, he got stuck, fortunately there was a way around, but man these guys are the car drivers of dirtbiking. It wasn't that hard, but the sign was there for a reason (rocks in this case).

chris
18th April 2007, 14:09
the sign was there for a reason
Was a big sign, too.

merv
18th April 2007, 14:57
I've kind of retired from trail riding lately I got sick of how badly muddy the bikes got and by the time I got home late it was too late to clean them and if you leave them it kills the bike, but the point I was really going to make and I said this a few years ago is I used to hate quads on trail rides because they just don't fit with two wheelers. Blocking tracks, bouncing along on sideways slopes, snapping at you down low, whereas two wheelers you can ride shoulder to shoulder and nudge others out the way as you have to at times.

The worst thing is them flipping on uphills and then tumbling down into the face of oncoming bikes - you gotta just be ahead of them all the time.