PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: ScottOiler

Kwaka-Kid
29th June 2003, 09:50
peole, please tell me about your experiences with these, after hearing yamahamans godly experience with these things it makes me think 1 of 2 things is going on, a) Im an idiot for not already buying one, or b) he has shares in the company :P

on a very serious note now, can anybody give me some figures etc? price for one? approx life of a brand new o ring chain and new sprockets on my little zxr400 with one, and how often u have to refil the oiler or somthing?

because they say like once every week or fill up or whatever im meant to be spraying my chain, but firstly i just dont get around to buying new tins of it often enough, its a big inconvenience, and like takes some time and im often in a hurry as it is, so blah blah im wrecking my own chain because its inconvienient, but if i can save it by heaps by using one fo these oiler things you speak of then point me in the right direction!

Yamahamaman
29th June 2003, 09:59
MotoMail in Western Springs Road, is open until 4pm today. Go ask them.

Coldkiwi
30th June 2003, 12:58
good idea... if you want to know about product specs, ask the folks that sell them!

Blackbird
30th June 2003, 20:37
I've had one on for 18 months and simply wouldn't be without it.  If you want a good installation guide with photos which a mate wrote, go to : http://www.superblackbird.co.uk/oiler.htm

It's for a Blackbird, but the same principle applies to most bikes.

I've set up mine to use about 50  ml of oil over 1500 k's.  (Between 1 and 2 drips per minute). It splashes a wee drop of oil up on the underside of the seat ducktail, but it's no big deal.  Hardly ever have to adjust the chain and it looks like new.  I do a fair bit of long haul riding and it's much better than greasing the chain every 500k's or so.  When you change from grease lub to the Scottoiler, it loosens the grease and chucks it everywhere for a few hundred k's, but it's not really a problem.

If you've got any other questions or want me to take some digital images of my installation, no worries.

:done:

Cheers

Geoff

Yamahamaman
30th June 2003, 20:58
Blackbird: Are you sure you don't have shares in the company? :beer:

Blackbird
30th June 2003, 22:33
Nope, but when a product is good tell it like it is.  When it's crap, say so too!:niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
1st July 2003, 01:50
thanks for hte replies guys!

and yamaha man u are just as bad :P hehe ta u 2, and im reading ur page in a sec black :) -u tha man :D

but lastly i like to ask around here to get genuine street opinion from genuine people (well most of you, dunno bout that old SPcrossgenderMAN) haha! :P

and motomail guys seem alrite, but hey, they do want to sell their products and really do love that 3fold markup (im dead sure it must be around here) so yeah, thanks lads!

Blackbird
1st July 2003, 17:50
There was one other thing which I just remembered.....

The Scottoiler kit comes with a tube of superglue to hold a couple of piping clamps to the swing arm.  This is totally inadequate and fell off on my first ride.  I ended up using Selly's clear Urethane Bond and holding the clamps in place with insulating tape for 24 hours.  Hasn't moved since.

:done:

Al
27th October 2003, 20:06
I have the touring kit fitted to my F650GS and can also recommend the scottoiler to all and sundry.... very little "fling-off" and absolutely minimum fuss.

Firefight
28th October 2003, 19:34
hey Logan, there was an article in the honda riders club mag,about "scott Oiler", I'll get you a copy and bring on Saturday, also a chance to win one, which may save you digging into that
ever mounting pile of money that you have.

firefight.:eek: :eek:

Kwaka-Kid
28th October 2003, 20:39
hahaha firefight! SOUNDS GREAT! duuude, cant wait till saturday.. im allready grinning about all the fun we will have talking shit and meeting KB'ers.

matthewt
30th October 2003, 10:55
I'd recommend one. I shagged a chain and sprockets in 12,000k on the MV so when they put the new gear on I got the scot-oiler installed with it. I've done 20,000k on the new chain/sprockets and they are in fairly good condition.

If you're going to do high miles then it'll pay for itself very quickly. For me it cost less than a replacement rear sprocket.

Lou Girardin
31st October 2003, 15:20
I'm using a home made system, very similar to the Scott. But uses a solenoid instead of a vacuum switch.
I haven't had to adjust a new chain in 15,000km. I get a some oil spots on the rear guard, but no real mess. Used 1 bottle of Scott oil in a year (18,000km)
Lou