PDA

View Full Version : Me vs Car!

Sparky Bills
18th April 2007, 18:31
I was hit by a car this morning on Piekok Hill!
Going round a right. Car came wide. Thought to myself... "Whats this thing up to...? OH SHIT!!" Saw the driver close their eyes and brace for impact!
Couldnt believe what was about to happen.
I picked the bike up, but was too late. My forearm still hit the front piller.
Made it past, then still had to make it round the bloody corner! Managed to get round and stop.
Smashed my mirror, but other than that, not a scratch on the bike!
Cant decribe how lucky I am. An inch to the right, and i would have been
taken out.
The force on my arm should have broken it, but somhow it didnt. God bless
armour!
Im ok, just a bit shaken. Will take it easy riding home tonight thats for
sure!
Im ok by the way. Stayed on the bike.
So yeah, the bikes ok too.
Deffinatley have someone watching over me!

P.s. Women Driver... Silver car. (didnt even see what type it was!)
She didnt stop, i didnt see the number plate.

Stay awake out there people!

Chisanga
18th April 2007, 18:36
Thank god you are ok. I had a similar experience but ended up on the ground.

Sucks that people will not stop for something they caused and must be aware of what happened.

Colapop
18th April 2007, 18:37
Just as well you're the awesomest rider eh Marty...

Trudes
18th April 2007, 18:41
Glad you're ok Marty, go buy a Lotto ticket and thank your guardian angel!:rockon:

Darkman
18th April 2007, 18:44
Shiiite!!!!! Glad youre okay mate!

Her_C4
18th April 2007, 18:45
Glad you're ok Marty, go buy a Lotto ticket and thank your guardian angel!:rockon:

Ditto!!! Glad you are ok :sunny:

Lissa
18th April 2007, 18:48
Wow... glad you are ok, could have been much worse aye? Someone must be watching over you. :yes:

jtzzr
18th April 2007, 19:16
Glad your`e all good mate , Sucks "THE BITCH " didn`t stop to make sure you were ok. Yeah buy a lotto for sure.

saul
18th April 2007, 19:25
Wow well done mate, I bet you are a bit shaken.:gob:

Hard to understand why she didn't stop, really shocking to hear.:angry:

Rest up.:rockon:

Cheers

shafty
18th April 2007, 19:29
Mate I wouldve been AFTER HER!

kiwifruit
18th April 2007, 19:39
Damn! lucky to ride out of that one man, well done

terbang
18th April 2007, 19:40
Jeez, a good advert for armour, glad you wern't hurt. However I guess if bus drivers in auckland, professional drivers I will add, can get away with driving off after killing a guy then your 'attacker' must have figured she didn't need to stop either.

gijoe1313
18th April 2007, 19:41
Ooh :sick: I feel woozy after reading that post :gob: Good skills to keep it altogether, you took responsibility to save your own life and did it well! Glad you could post about it :yes:

As for that cager :angry2: :mad: :bash: :ar15: :2guns: :spanking:

BarBender
18th April 2007, 19:50
Glad to hear you're OK. Gives you a hell of a scare - there isnt much time to react...

Samething happended to me in Sept last year.
Went around a 55k right hand sweeper and was confronted with half a Mazda 6 wagon on my side of the road. Stood the bike up and clipped his drivers side wing mirror with my right hand and had it run up the side of his car. Managed to control the bike and pulled over. Hand my sister in law on the back!

Quasi Glove saved my hand. Glove armour was completley smashed. Would have broken every bone in there if I hadnt been wearing them. Little finger shredded but lucky we got it to A&E and surgery in time for them to fix it up. All good.

Paul in NZ
18th April 2007, 19:56
Feck - glad you are OK and almost had that happen there a couple of times but i doubt I'd be a talented as you and avoided perm damage...

Seriously - I'd report it to the POLICE asap before she does....

riffer
18th April 2007, 20:12
Lucky boy Martin.

I got clipped going home but nothing as bad as that. Just got a mirror bashed by an idiot in a taxi who tried to share my lane.

Hope that arm's feeling okay tonight. Although I guess it's probably hurting now.

Duke girl
18th April 2007, 20:15
Hear about that happening all the time on that rd. She was probably to shit scared to stop and thought by not stopping she would get away with it which is what has happened. Most car drivers have got no concideration when it comes to those who ride bikes. Glad to hear that u r ok, even thou it would have been nice 4 her to acknowledge her mistake. Takecare ok?.

Ms Piggy
18th April 2007, 20:21
Glad to hear you're okay!! I cannot believe she didn't stop! Cripes!!

sunhuntin
18th April 2007, 20:24
damn... lucky save man!!

jafar
18th April 2007, 20:36
She probably travels that road same time every day .... keep a lookout for her & get the plate. She should be up on charges for failing to stop! If the cops don't want to know you can go to the post office & get the owners name & address for $1.00. Send her the bill for the damage :yes:

Good save on your part

Grub
18th April 2007, 20:52
I was hit by a car this morning on Piekok Hill!
Going round a right. Women Driver... Silver car. (didnt even see what type it was!)She didnt stop, i didnt see the number plate.

My worst fear twice a day on that road. Am now *very* wary of right-handers, it would seem with some justification.

What time was it Marty, will see if I can spot the vehicle. Apart from your arm vs A pillar, where would the mirror have hit to leave a tell tale mark?

speeding_ant
18th April 2007, 20:53
Shit, had that happen to me once. Scary! Pulled over and had a breather!

Hope you find out who it was. Karma's on your side! ;)

oldrider
18th April 2007, 21:22
Glad that you are all right.

This seems to be happening more and more every time I ride I see them getting closer and closer, especially bad on the crown Range road lately.

Traffic just does not observe the keep left rule and they seem to think we (motorcyclists) don't need as much room as they do so they just take our space as their own.

I am of the opinion that "failing to keep left" (appropriately) is the single most common contributor to the road toll in New Zealand, not speed.

Failing to keep left and speeding is just plain suicidal behaviour but it is the former which is the most dangerous. (IMHO) John.

Wasp
18th April 2007, 22:21
crap mate, that must have been minutes after I passed you going the other way

glad you're ok

Kendog
18th April 2007, 22:35
Unlucky and lucky all at the same time.

Glad you are ok.

Pwalo
19th April 2007, 09:04
Now that story is going to to be good after a few beers. Good reactions.

redr1
19th April 2007, 09:13
Sounds like the driver must have been distracted, probably texting or something. Its amazing how many cars tend to cross over the centre line in corners oblivious to other road users. Makes one furious just thinking about it.
Good job with the save mate.

Sniper
19th April 2007, 09:18
Well done staying upright dude. Get that arm checked out aye

skelstar
19th April 2007, 09:19
Were ya tempted to turn around and try and catch her? Why would she not stop? Crazy...:crazy:

dnos
19th April 2007, 09:35
SHIT, that sounds insane.

Saw the driver close their eyes and brace for impact!:shit:

Scary stuff dude, glad to hear you came through it ok.

Griff
19th April 2007, 09:57
I am glad you were OK. Sad about the bike.
I got run off the road 6 years back by an off duty cop & left for dead in a similar situation. Since then I have vowed that if a car comes at me head-on, then I will do my utmost to embed the bike into the F**ker and if I can still get up, finish the job.

Keystone19
19th April 2007, 10:06
Crikey! Rode the Paekak Hill Rd for the first time Tuesday evening and Flame warned me that people crossed the centre line. Coming up from the Paekak side on the K7 I soon discovered she was right! At least 4 cars coming down were on my side of the road.

Crazy drivers in Wellington - think I'll stick to the Coro Loop...never happens there...

Glad yer ok!

Beemer
19th April 2007, 11:36
P.s. Women Driver... Silver car. (didnt even see what type it was!)
She didnt stop, i didnt see the number plate.

Wasn't me, haven't been down that way for months! Bit poor her not stopping, for all she knew, you could have been lying injured or dying in a ditch as a result of her carelessness.

I've this type of thing so many times when driving over there - people can't seem to keep in their own lane for some reason. I can understand cutting a corner when there is nothing coming and/or you can see for a long distance, but I've had to brake more than once to avoid colliding head-on with idiots who have crossed the centreline due to speed or stupidity.

Smokin
19th April 2007, 13:49
Bloody hell mate. you don't get much closer than that eh.

Don't forget that Lotto ticket.

Sparky Bills
19th April 2007, 17:52
Went and got my arm checked out this morning.

Seems that i dislocated my shoulder, but it poped back in. Would have been all well and good, apart from it pinching a nerve on the way back in!

Feels better after some stretches etc.
Will see how we go with a recovery.
Hoping it doesnt take too long. As ive got hockey on Friday night!:innocent:

Sparky Bills
19th April 2007, 17:53
Thanx for all the well wishes people.
Much appreciated!

Im thanking the awsome handling of the bike for the miss!

Sparky Bills
19th April 2007, 17:55
I did turn around after i regained composure. But the road was damp and i was too shakey to push it.
Got to the lookout, but she was long gone down the hill.

SPman
19th April 2007, 18:02
Still pays to report it - just so long as it's on file - you never know when you might need it.

KLOWN
19th April 2007, 18:21
Mate I wouldve been AFTER HER!

I second that. Vigillante justice is what they should get get if they keep on driving.

good on ya for staying up right!! glad your ok!!!

The question is... would she have stopped if you'd gone flying or would she just have left you there?
You def should report it as a hit and run and keep an eye out for her.

Pickle
19th April 2007, 20:49
Hey Sparky hope the pinched nerve isnt too bad, Ive been suffering from pinched nerve in my neck for a couple of years good dose of Voltaren & Panadol do wonders. Not really recommended but does the trick short term

merv
19th April 2007, 20:56
So who gave you that pain in the neck Pickle?

Pickle
19th April 2007, 21:25
Merv, Viv is going to give you the bash if there is any suggestion it is her.
Just dont mention her driving - crashed the car years ago, bridge jumped out in front of us & been having trouble ever since.

Chrislost
19th April 2007, 21:36
somthing in your water?
http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/NationalNews/tabid/184/Default.aspx?ArticleID=25398

missing gears
confident driver
:shit:

Shadows
19th April 2007, 23:26
Holy shite. I'm glad you avoided the unmentionable. As mentioned already by others, if I couldn't catch her at the time I'd definately be waiting up there again around that time keeping an eye out for the bitch. Get well soon bro.

heyjoe
20th April 2007, 00:10
hey sparky bills,

Bloody hell! Glad u are not seriously hurt and that u went and got the arm checked out.

I also join the bandwagon encouraging u to report this person and the incident. Even if u have to go to the site and wait for said person to come by that way again and get their rego number. How can a driver not see someones arm whack their pillar? She should have stopped to check if u are ok. Her actions are definitely in the wrong. She needs corrective training in her attitude and actions!

Hope the healing goes well.

Sparky Bills
20th April 2007, 10:33
Im going to report it as soon as i get away from work.
Which is easier said than done!

_intense_
20th April 2007, 17:22
faaaaark, yeah i just sdiscovered riding te piecoq a couple of weeks ago, its amazing but deadly, had a scare, but not a near miss or hit, a van swinging wide, if id been riding hard it would have ben different..

glad to hear all is well though, should go for a blat to see the corner some time sparky?

Sparky Bills
22nd April 2007, 10:40
Well, body is feeling much better.
Mirror has been replaced.
Police report filed.

All is back to normal.:shutup:

Thanx for everyones concerns.
Might have to go for a blat up there sometime today:innocent:

Meekey_Mouse
22nd April 2007, 11:09
WOAH! I haven't read this before just now... Glad to hear you're OK Marty :yes:

RT527
22nd April 2007, 11:24
Crikey! Crazy drivers in Wellington - think I'll stick to the Coro Loop...never happens there...

Glad yer ok!

Shit...don't mean to burst you're bubble , but nearly every time I travel up to Whitianga from work(Kopu) I always have some arsehole on the tairua hill cross the centre line into my path, I am in a 8 wheeler tractor unit with a 4 axle semi behind me , all up Im 19 meters long, and I struggle to keep the unit on my side of the road I usually do too , with the exception of 1 or 2 corners.....what i struggle to comprehend is that most people are in a car which is probably no longer than 4 meters at most and they cant keep on there side of the road, so please forgive me if you come round a corner one day and find me going real slow and trying to keep my trailer on the road( i have to cross the center line to do this on only 2 corners and both on the Tairua hill) I usually come to an almost stop and look through the corner, as its early in the morning and still dark its easy to spot vehicles coming down the hill and if I see lights I come to a stop.
coming back from Whitianga is easier and usually don't have to cross the center line.

Cheers and Glad you're ok Sparky Sorry to here that youve struck a moron, probably if she hadnt closed her eyes and moved away from you she would have missed you.

MD
22nd April 2007, 12:18
Good to hear you're Ok Martin. Could be a much worse story on here.
Now you people stop picking on the woman driver. She was probably texting as part of her training to become a Kiwi Experience bus driver. Cell phones in cars must be safe and never cause accidents. Otherwise our beloved politicians would have made it illegal.
The more I ride that road and the more I hear of near misses with cars drifting across the centreline, the more I want to see Cops with cameras on corners. Except I don't want to see cops on corners because then they will click bikes leaning too far. Double standards I know but I like it that way. One rule for me and one for the others.
On topic, sort off - who read the moaner in Saturday's Dompost who got a $150 fine for cutting a corner. Even worse the driver was using the right lane with no other vehicles in the left lane [double lane section for passing]. The paper showed the Cop's picture of his Mini a couple of inches across the centreline on the sth side of the Takas. Cop spokesperson made a good comment in response "with his very small car it looks as though he had plenty of room within his lane, and it therefore begs the question as to why he was unable to drive within it"