PDA

View Full Version : When lanesplitting becomes silly..

Lucy
19th April 2007, 00:39
Yesterday and today I was driving in a four wheeled vehicle, city bound on the Southern Motorway (AK) at 6.30am. Two days in a row, two different bikes were weaving in and out of the lanes, as though we were cones on a basic handling skills course. I'm sure they considered themselves lanesplitters, or maybe they were just having fun. The reason they were able to weave in and out, instead of making their way up the middle between us was because traffic was flowing at 8o kms per hour!!

Chisanga
19th April 2007, 00:42
I know what you mean. I was on the Southern heading towards town going about 70km/h and I was VERY overtaken by some white bike 'lanesplitting'. Must be a lot braver than me.

That was yesterday btw

skidMark
19th April 2007, 00:42
i used to have traffic doing 110 and come through weaving at 160+

sometimes 180+ up the middle.

but those days are over i had a ...you guessed it...lane splitting accident

trust me people it aint worth it.

Disco Dan
19th April 2007, 01:42
It is very easy to start splitting when cars stop on the mway, and both the cars speed and your speed (too keep overtaking) increase... before I realise sometimes I have been doing 60mph! It's only when the cars slow down again and I begin to brake accordingly that I realise. Not good I know, but im sure we are all guilty of doing it at some stage to a degree. I have found that I start using the cars speed to judge my own speed as I wont glance down at the speedo often as there is so many mirrors and cars and heads etc etc to keep watching... It's on my list of "things to work on". :innocent: ...although with all the AWNMR that list is growing!!!

No excuse obviously, just my thoughts....

FROSTY
24th April 2007, 22:04
i used to have traffic doing 110 and come through weaving at 160+

sometimes 180+ up the middle.

but those days are over i had a ...you guessed it...lane splitting accident

trust me people it aint worth it.
LEST PEOPLE THINK YOUR TALE UNTRUE KEEP PROBABILITY IN VIEW

skidMark
24th April 2007, 22:09
ask theatre of the time **this guy i know cough cough**was splitting at 180 saw a cop ahead, and stonked on the anchors, went right past the cop on thier right hard on the brakes, and i mean hard...got past the drivers door was looking at the cop, he was looking ahead as if he hadn't even noticed **this guy i know cough**, at that exact moment **the guy i know** dropped from 130 to 80ish...and swooped back behind,

silly rozzers....

Fat Tony
24th April 2007, 22:22
We regulary filter on the motorway at about 110+mph with traffic doing around 80mph over here. As long as the diferential between the speed of the traffic and the bike aren't too great I don't see it as being a problem.

As Dan says, it's so easy for your speed to increase as the traffic around you does. We usually start to filter on the motorway if traffic drops to around 60mph, then as they build speed back up to 80/90mph-ish we just keep filtering at the same rate, before you know it 110mph+ filtering until you spot a police car and then pull back in to line.

I really enjoy filtering and the amount of concentration if requires.

(I'd convert those figures in to kph... but I just can't be arsed... is it weekend yet?)

Whynot
24th April 2007, 22:30
We regulary filter on the motorway at about 110+mph with traffic doing around 80mph over here.

you would be shot instantly for doing that kind of thing in nz. :mellow:

skidMark
24th April 2007, 22:34
tony, ur a mad bastard lol

Mr Merde
24th April 2007, 22:39
We regulary filter on the motorway at about 110+mph with traffic doing around 80mph over here. As long as the diferential between the speed of the traffic and the bike aren't too great I don't see it as being a problem.

As Dan says, it's so easy for your speed to increase as the traffic around you does. We usually start to filter on the motorway if traffic drops to around 60mph, then as they build speed back up to 80/90mph-ish we just keep filtering at the same rate, before you know it 110mph+ filtering until you spot a police car and then pull back in to line.

I really enjoy filtering and the amount of concentration if requires.

(I'd convert those figures in to kph... but I just can't be arsed... is it weekend yet?)

Fat Tony I thank you for posting this.

I worked as a bike courier in the UK for a number of years and know exactly what you are talking about. I was based out of Cardiff and went mostly intercity. About twice a week I had to deliver to the city in London.

I've told people here about lane splitting on the M4 and the M25 at over 100mph (160 kph) and I get that far away disbelieving look. In the city it was akot less but the risks were a lot greater as the density of the traffic is far greater. The speed limit here is only about 62mph and in general most people stick to thereabouts. I've seen and followed bikes that get up to the ton mark (160 kph) but not a lot of them hold it for very long on the public roads.

I'm glad someone has at last backed up what I have been saying.

Travelled the M4, M5, M6, M1 pretty much every week and clocked about 3000 miles per week. Best timed run was on the M4. From the sign post on the road that states Cardiff was 115 miles to the centre of Cardiff in 50 min. Averaging somewhere about 120mph. Got busted on that road for exceeding the set speed limit by 100 mph, never noticed the cop car in its park ramp. This was on the Membury straight going through the services.

When I first got here I found the traffic to be awfully slow and pedestian. For the first two years of riding bikes over here I rode as I did when couriering. Slowed down a lot since as I dont trust the cage drivers as much as those in UK.

ANyway thanks for backing me up.

Mr :shit:

Fat Tony
24th April 2007, 22:40

Would here too if caught by the boys in blue... to be honest I avoid motorways where possible... they're so dull to ride in the UK so the filtering keeps you on your toes.

The only 'motorways' that we drove while in NZ earlier this month that resembled anything like UK motorways were around Auckland... everywhere else the 'motorways' were very entertaining :)

McJim
24th April 2007, 22:50
I know what you mean. I was on the Southern heading towards town going about 70km/h and I was VERY overtaken by some white bike 'lanesplitting'. Must be a lot braver than me.

That was yesterday btw

hope it wasn't me.

Chisanga
24th April 2007, 22:53
hope it wasn't me.

No way, it was some big white bike. You ride very responsibly from what i've seen of your commuting :)

Mr Merde
24th April 2007, 22:59
Who repped me?

FROSTY
24th April 2007, 23:02
ask theatre of the time **this guy i know cough cough**was splitting at 180 saw a cop ahead, and stonked on the anchors, went right past the cop on thier right hard on the brakes, and i mean hard...got past the drivers door was looking at the cop, he was looking ahead as if he hadn't even noticed **this guy i know cough**, at that exact moment **the guy i know** dropped from 130 to 80ish...and swooped back behind,

silly rozzers....
This from the guy who said he laid a 60m darkie ---then said it was 20m --then photographic evidence showed it as a tiny chirp.
God boy you talk such a load of shit

Mr Merde
24th April 2007, 23:10
This from the guy who said he laid a 60m darkie ---then said it was 20m --then photographic evidence showed it as a tiny chirp.

Weren't we all 19 once? Full of piss and vinegar and trying to take on the world.

Have uttered a load of merde in my time. Still do sometimes. Only difference is now I know when I am talking merde.

Grahameeboy
24th April 2007, 23:20
(I'd convert those figures in to kph... but I just can't be arsed... is it weekend yet?)[/B]

No but we have Wednesday off here in NZ...........and then it's Maha's ride on Sunday.......have I really been on holiday here for 9 years.......roll on

Grahameeboy
24th April 2007, 23:22

Geeze thats a tall lady...................

Mr Merde
24th April 2007, 23:25
Geeze thats a tall lady...................

I see no mention of it being a "lady" of the female kind.

It could have been one of the she-male variety. Its his choice.

I agree that it is very tall either way

Whynot
24th April 2007, 23:29

at least he didn't choke a 60m darkie ....... now that would have been a fine effort :shit:

Fat Tony
24th April 2007, 23:57

This would be OK though? My daily plod through Leeds' mobile chicanes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8642819960346630262&hl=en

skidMark
25th April 2007, 00:14

**bike comes with quality replacement engine mark**

frosty " we ran the motor at the wreckers ran mint"

mark gets bike home puts the "good replacement engine in"

mark: "start you c**t ,cmon start"

mark: "pulls head off ...big hole in piston" shit musta broken on the way home ...sitting in the plastic box...not being run.

tui?

Kittyhawk
25th April 2007, 00:23
No but we have Wednesday off here in NZ...........and then it's Maha's ride on Sunday.......have I really been on holiday here for 9 years.......roll on

Bring on the Maha ride!!

at least he didn't choke a 60m darkie ....... now that would have been a fine effort :shit:

Ok slap me for this - what's a darkie? I've recently learnt what the difference is between turkey and chicken strips :shutup:

Whynot
25th April 2007, 00:47
Ok slap me for this - what's a darkie?

i dont think this is what was originally meant though ....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Choke+a+darky

skidMark
25th April 2007, 00:57
lol ...."whynot" goto sleep lol

Whynot
27th April 2007, 21:50
lol ...."whynot" goto sleep lol

read the location again mate .....

skidMark
27th April 2007, 23:24
aww well thats no fun. lol

it was um silly time here

1257am

hmmm

i'm bored, can't make noise working on the bike neighbours get grumpy....so do parents....and i'm knackered... lol

SPman
28th April 2007, 02:19
Whats the big deal about lanesplitting? You can either do it or you can't - it was the only thing I was better at than Loosebruce! Its all about speed matching and vehicle placement.

I can't see what people get worried about.....

mstriumph
28th April 2007, 02:37
Me either ------ you either got the rythm or you ain't - hear the music or you don't ........a big part of it is anticipating what the other vehicles are going to do next ........ and it's a rush:love:

i splilt
i survive
i am 10feet tall and bulletproof

"toro, toro, taxi"!!!!

yeah - i know - until i fail ............. but - erm - isn't that a corollary for 'life as we know it'? .. or do i mean 'simile' heh heh heh

FROSTY
5th May 2007, 13:04
**bike comes with quality replacement engine mark**

frosty " we ran the motor at the wreckers ran mint"

mark gets bike home puts the "good replacement engine in"

mark: "start you c**t ,cmon start"

mark: "pulls head off ...big hole in piston" shit musta broken on the way home ...sitting in the plastic box...not being run.

tui?
Wanna try that one again MARK???--Perhaps if you refer back to the thread YOU started on the subject it will refresh your memory on the subject ??
Or perhaps do you want to go back to the thread where the WRECKER who sold me the engine offered to replace it IF YOU CALLED HIM
Ohh Hang On --Im sure I can find the thread in question

Korea
6th May 2007, 10:27
Splitting like in the UK video was par for any inner city travel in Korea.
No gap, no matter how small, was sacred.

The big difference in NZ is the car driver's attitude to bikes splitting up the middle:In Korea, drivers generally keep out of your way - they're expecting bikes to filter to the front.
Meanwhile, here you get dirty looks, fists shaken, and even drivers trying to close up the gap to stop you going on through. That and the sudden lane changes without checking mirrors / blind spot...

I still think it's fair game, but you have to do the car drivers' thinking for them and be infinitely more cautious.
As far as car driving is concerned, we Kiwis are pretty intollerant of other road users...

Do or don't - just don't take risks. If in doubt, hold back a sec. Never make a move where the outcome is uncertain.

Here endeth the sermon :yes:

MattRSK
6th May 2007, 11:53
Oh, in five years time, will it be
"Who the fuck's Arctic Monkeys?"

Swoop
26th July 2007, 08:36
A classic example on the NW this morning...

Cruiser rider in 1a, black t-shirt (this morning WAS tropical... wasn't it?) and gloves (good boy).
NO indicating at all. Weaving (wobbling???) like mad.

If YOU were riding 32WAY, perhaps you might like to consider why TWO cages pulled out in front of YOU, within 50metres distance! I bet the rest of your commute was fun.