PDA

View Full Version : Why do people not notice your ability

Stickchick
19th April 2007, 08:46
Why is it that people at work don't recongnise your ability?

I have been in my new job for about three weeks and consider myself swtched on even though I'm blonde. But my boss doesn't recognise this and keep having to be babysat which is very frustrating as I'm the type of person that just want to get on with things without others looking over your shoulder all the time.

Besides biting my toungue all the time what is a better way of dealing with this?

Bekki
19th April 2007, 08:58
Why is it that people at work don't recongnise your ability?

I have been in my new job for about three weeks and consider myself swtched on even though I'm blonde. But my boss doesn't recognise this and keep having to be babysat which is very frustrating as I'm the type of person that just want to get on with things without others looking over your shoulder all the time.

Besides biting my toungue all the time what is a better way of dealing with this?

Be honest? Your boss might not know how they're coming across.

Otherwise.. Does your boss have a boss? If you're good, and you interact with other people up the chain from you, someone is sure to recognise your abilities.

Hitcher
19th April 2007, 08:59
In some workplaces backstabbing and the whole "look at moi" thing may help pave the way to "success", but one should always ask whether or not one should be in such a work environment if one's "performance" is not actually based on one's performance.

Do your job the best you can. No reasonable employer should expect more than that.

merv
19th April 2007, 09:08
Just keep talking to the boss and show you are progressing and capable and give the total perception that you are doing OK.

Any good leader can not expect staff to do work unsupervised until they are competent in the task. If you are already competent - prove it to the boss and that may require verbalising it a bit. The other trick is ask tricky questions - put the pressure back on the boss to perform properly. Leading your leader is harder than a leader leading workers believe me!

Crisis management
19th April 2007, 09:11
You've been there a whole three weeks!!!!!!!!

There's a word for this somewhere, let me look.....

Ooooooh yes! Patience.

Sarcasm aside, wait till you've been there a year then review your position.
In the mean time learn the job, the people, and show how good you are. Be the best you can be and if they are reasonable employers you will see progress.

Finn
19th April 2007, 09:36

Give breast augmentation a go. You'll find it works wonders.

Edit: Because you're blonde, I should point out that I mean both of them.

ManDownUnder
19th April 2007, 09:47
Do your job the best you can. No reasonable employer should expect more than that.

Agreed, and it doesn't hurt to be a little outspoken... or noticed. I'm a loudmouth yeah - comes a a shock to some I'm sure), and never have problems getting noticed - for the good and the bad things...

Have a joke - get involved in the social stuff - get to know the people.

Mate that's shocking... and blingworthy LOL... classic!

boomer
19th April 2007, 10:01
have a chat with him and be straight up? tackle the problem head on in a polite way of course. Tell him how you feel.

he may not know or that maybe his style in which case talking to him will enlighten him, otherwise he'll tell you your not quite upto speed yet!

Grahameeboy
19th April 2007, 10:11

So you tried it then...........now I am getting worried about you........first 'gay' is a prominent part of your language and now 'breasts'........if I did not know better I'd say you were having a sex change............

Grahameeboy
19th April 2007, 10:13
have a chat with him and be straight up? tackle the problem head on in a polite way of course. Tell him how you feel.

Sorry who is this..doesn't sound like Boomer.........

sisterecho
19th April 2007, 10:24
It has only been three weeks, he's probably still just seeing what you're all about. But I agree with boomer, politely mention you can probably handle things on your own now that you've been there for nearly a month.

I have issues at my work because I'm 28 years old but I look about 20 (apparently) and people struggle to hand over responsibility to me...thinking I'm young and inexperienced. I suppose I could wear a cardigan and put my hair in a bun... maybe that would help?

bobsmith
19th April 2007, 11:17
Like others have said just say to your boss that you're confident about what you're doing.

If you look at it from his side, he could be just trying to make sure you're comfortable. Ambiguity about what you're supposed to be doing at work is one of the biggest stressors facing employees after all, it might just turn out that your employer is simply a concerned one.

If that's not the case, mix in a bottle of rat poison in their lunch, then they would be sick at home (or in a hospital) and won't bother you for a few days... :done: