PDA

View Full Version : Importing a VFR/RVF

Coyote
19th April 2007, 11:48
I posted this in another thread but it didn't seem to get much attention

I'm interested in getting a VFR/RVF from Japan. I emailed emoto and they said I'd be looking at $7000 (including having it sent to wellington) but my limit is $5000. They also mentioned the VFR/RVF's are probably more expensive over there than they are here, but looking at the Yahoo Japan Auctions (though I can't read anything, might be able to get a friend to help sometime) I can see bikes that are cheaper. I'm only really looking for a basic bike for cheap cause i hoped to do it up with TYGA fairings, so it could be naked or have scuffed fairings. But I'd like it to have low mileage, <20,000km's

There was also a VFR on trademe that the seller said originally has scuffed fairings which he replaced with a Just Fairings set and new decals and he wants $6000. Obviously the seller has put some profit into that price plus the fairings and stickers cost a bit so surely I could get a scuffed bike for cheaper than that? It has a rego and warrant so I mustn't have been that difficult to sort out. That bike only had 14000km's on it too. I've texted this seller to ask if they are able to import any other bikes in

What is everything I need to know? Who do I have to talk to? What unexpected costs to I have to watch out for? Etc.?

Morcs
19th April 2007, 12:57
I posted this in another thread but it didn't seem to get much attention

I'm interested in getting a VFR/RVF from Japan. I emailed emoto and they said I'd be looking at $7000 (including having it sent to wellington) but my limit is $5000. They also mentioned the VFR/RVF's are probably more expensive over there than they are here, but looking at the Yahoo Japan Auctions (though I can't read anything, might be able to get a friend to help sometime) I can see bikes that are cheaper. I'm only really looking for a basic bike for cheap cause i hoped to do it up with TYGA fairings, so it could be naked or have scuffed fairings. But I'd like it to have low mileage, <20,000km's

There was also a VFR on trademe that the seller said originally has scuffed fairings which he replaced with a Just Fairings set and new decals and he wants $6000. Obviously the seller has put some profit into that price plus the fairings and stickers cost a bit so surely I could get a scuffed bike for cheaper than that? It has a rego and warrant so I mustn't have been that difficult to sort out. That bike only had 14000km's on it too. I've texted this seller to ask if they are able to import any other bikes in

What is everything I need to know? Who do I have to talk to? What unexpected costs to I have to watch out for? Etc.?

Its definately worth waiting for the right one to come along.

Finding one with low k's in nz is impossible. ones in japan have around 10-20000 k's. Im waiting til i can afford to import a mint rvf...

Although i am gutted i didnt wait, id love the nicky hayden replica thats on trademe for 6500... tyga kit... repsol paint... underseat exhaust..mmmm

Try www.nilin.jp too.

Coyote
19th April 2007, 13:56
Its definately worth waiting for the right one to come along.

Finding one with low k's in nz is impossible. ones in japan have around 10-20000 k's. Im waiting til i can afford to import a mint rvf...

Although i am gutted i didnt wait, id love the nicky hayden replica thats on trademe for 6500... tyga kit... repsol paint... underseat exhaust..mmmm

Try www.nilin.jp too.
I'm meant to be seeing a dude off trademe in Palmerston North and discussing with him about importing

I'd love an RVF too but I don't have the money. Plus they're very similar, the only real differences are the upside down forks. May as well get a cheaper VFR and do it up. The initial cost I'm limitting to under $5000 but I hope to save up for the other TYGA goodies (already have some money aside for a silencer).

I'd rather get the new TYGA lights unlike that Hayden rep. Only they don't make them for the VFR, only the RVF. I've emailt them asking when will they modify the fairings to suit (cause by the time I have the money they're likely to have done it).

I've emailed nilin before only I never got a reply. Plus their 2 VFR's I like have been on their site for months. Looks like the site is being ignored.

The VFR in christchurch is interesting, well within my price limit. Only it has 40,000km's and Dad said he's only interested in bikes he can see

mynameis
19th April 2007, 14:15
eMoto would have also suggested you to buy a 400 locally and not from Japan aye? The reason why they are so expensive in Japan is the same reason why our 250's are so expensive here, riding restriction laws, which inflates the market of 400's in Japan.

So a bargain would be hard fetched mate and this is reflected in eMoto's price (quote,indication) where as they are normally pretty competitive. Best is to look out on Trade Me daily, there are some real good deals and don't rush into it "a little patience goes a long way". There can be a few hitches as well if you're importing form Japan yourself, compliance, rego and wof. Look into their requirements first before looking for a bike in JP.

The RVF's clutch is umm .. a bit hard too. Also be prepared to spend a few dollars on perhaps small things like a new battery, sparks and worse case cleaning carbs and replacing tyres, clutch, chain, ect as some sit in storage for years!

Good luck!

Coyote
19th April 2007, 14:21
eMoto would have also suggested you to buy a 400 locally and not from Japan aye? The reason why they are so expensive in Japan is the same reason why our 250's are so expensive here, riding restriction laws, which inflates the market of 400's in Japan.

So a bargain would be hard fetched mate and this is reflected in eMoto's price, where as they are normally pretty competitive. Best is to look out on Trade Me daily, there are some real good deals and don't rush into it "a little patience goes a long way". There can be a few hitches as well if you're importing form Japan yourself, compliance, rego and wof. Look into their requirements first before looking for a bike in JP.

The RVF's clutch is umm .. a bit hard too. Also be prepared to spend a few dollars on perhaps small things like a new battery, sparks and worse case cleaning carbs and replacing tyres, clutch, chain, ect as some sit in storage for years!

Good luck!
Hoo boy. That isn't good

I'm in no real rush, just very eager. I'll hang around untill something good comes up.

The RG's clutch is pretty stiff too, it felt pretty alien when I rode a 600 and everything was smooth. And I should be able to fix that all up myself

Cheers!

mynameis
19th April 2007, 14:34
Here's an example mate :

http://www.nilin.jp/bikedetail.aspx?key=0609160219

333 000 JPY converted to NZD is roughly about 3600.

Add another $1500 for everything, shipping, insurance, compliance, rego, wof and any other parts you may need. Labour yours.

So all up $5100 for a grade 3 bike, some dealers can get you a grade 5 or 6 for under $6500.

Is it really worth the time energy and effort??

Good to see you're patient about it aye coz I know when I don't have a bike I just go nuts!

Morcs
19th April 2007, 14:42
Here's an example mate :

Add another $1500 for everything, shipping, insurance, compliance, rego, wof and any other parts you may need. Labour yours.

So all up $5100 for a grade 3 bike, some dealers can get you a grade 5 or 6 for under $6500.

Good to see you're patient about it aye coz I know when i don't have a bike I just go nuts!

Yes it is worth the time and effort :) considering the vfr/rvf's in my opinion are a priceless bike.

Next january I am planning on spending upto 10k to get a mint rvf with low k's and kitting it out completely. Then my nc30 can be a race bike... :yes:

mynameis
19th April 2007, 15:04
Yes it is worth the time and effort :) considering the vfr/rvf's in my opinion are a priceless bike.

Next january I am planning on spending upto 10k to get a mint rvf with low k's and kitting it out completely. Then my nc30 can be a race bike... :yes:

Fair enough, well said, I guess it all comes down to personal preference and how passionate you are about a particular machine. I know people have tendencies to go extreme on the machines they love :)

Also bear in mind other small factors which can save a penny or two like time you import your bike and the strength of NZD. (Currently it's strong so yaay for importers and sucks to be an exporter).

Shopping around in Japan to get the best value for your dollars and making sure the bike you get is in good condition so you don't have to spend much when it arrives. Having some good contacts in Japan to do these checks for you is very handy.

justsomeguy
19th April 2007, 20:04
Hey Al have you spoken to Limbimtimwim?

He's local and has a mint - AND I MEAN MINT - RVF4hundy sitting in his dining room, yes dining room. Don't know how keen he is on selling - but perhaps if you made him an offer.

Good luck with your next purchase - those are some beautiful bikes.

Coyote
19th April 2007, 20:08
Hey Al have you spoken to Limbimtimwim?

He's local and has a mint - AND I MEAN MINT - RVF4hundy sitting in his dining room, yes dining room. Don't know how keen he is on selling - but perhaps if you made him an offer.

Good luck with your next purchase - those are some beautiful bikes.
I had thought of giving him a PM, even just to ask about emoto. Met him at the Carterton sprints one time, nice guy. Only he had the 750 with him that time

I wouldn't expect him to sell his RVF, not that I'd be able to afford it

Coyote
19th April 2007, 20:12
Here's an example mate :

Good to see you're patient about it aye coz I know when I don't have a bike I just go nuts!
Seen that bike, that was one of the ones I was keen on. But as I said it's been on the site a while and my email didn't get answered. Might have to give them another shot

And yes it is worth it. Only problem is my Dad wishes to see the bike first before buying (fair enough I guess, though it's my money) so it limits me to bikes in the lower north island (the NC30 in Christchurch offered for 3400 is a no go, that would've been the right price for me)

Fortunatly I do have a bike and I'm planning to keep it. Just I want this other bike to have enough grunt to pull passengers and not be effected by head winds so much

Coyote
19th April 2007, 20:14

So... selling your VFR then? :blip:

Definately a priceless bike. And I'm in love with the TYGA gear

By the way, what's the point in getting a mint RVF? Can't you just do up your VFR? Get some RVF forks and such?

Paulus
20th April 2007, 00:21
And yes it is worth it. Only problem is my Dad wishes to see the bike first before buying (fair enough I guess, though it's my money) so it limits me to bikes in the lower north island (the NC30 in Christchurch offered for 3400 is a no go, that would've been the right price for me)

That bike belonged to a friend of mine and is now sold. It's a shame you missed it as it was a minter. It may have done 40000km but at least the mileage appeared to be genuine. Watch for clocked ones. How many 18 year old bikes have really done under 20000km?

Morcs
20th April 2007, 09:47
So... selling your VFR then? :blip:

Definately a priceless bike. And I'm in love with the TYGA gear

By the way, what's the point in getting a mint RVF? Can't you just do up your VFR? Get some RVF forks and such?

No there are a lot of differences that would be costly. It has a 17'' rear wheel rather than an 18'', it has USD forks, better air intakes, valves and timing. There are also a few other minor differences, but all in all id rather have one as they are a newer bike.

Nothing short of $5k will get my vfr. Its paint job will be finished tomorrow too! its looking pretty damn good!

Coyote
20th April 2007, 10:09
That bike belonged to a friend of mine and is now sold. It's a shame you missed it as it was a minter. It may have done 40000km but at least the mileage appeared to be genuine. Watch for clocked ones. How many 18 year old bikes have really done under 20000km?
Yeah, that's what I suspected from the one in Palmy. It even had aftermarket fairings. The guy still wants 6K for it, bit steep. And it was a shame but even if I did jump at the chance Dad would've still denied it

Coyote
20th April 2007, 10:12
No there are a lot of differences that would be costly. It has a 17'' rear wheel rather than an 18'', it has USD forks, better air intakes, valves and timing. There are also a few other minor differences, but all in all id rather have one as they are a newer bike.

Nothing short of $5k will get my vfr. Its paint job will be finished tomorrow too! its looking pretty damn good!
Fair enough. I can't afford a nice RVF at this stage so a VFR will do me just fine, and chances are eventually I'd get the nicer RVF parts for it. Although, this is a major thing, I've yet to test ride one. I'm sure I'd like it but what if I find something I don't like about it? My plans might totally change once again

What colour are you painting it? How many k's does it have?

Morcs
20th April 2007, 10:28
I was gonna suggest you test ride mine, but then i notice your down in hutt...

My colour scheme is black, white and red. Its taken 4 days thus far and the last lot of clear coat goes on tonight, and itll be back together tomorrow. Ill be posting piccys up on monday :)

Coyote
20th April 2007, 10:33
I was gonna suggest you test ride mine, but then i notice your down in hutt...

My colour scheme is black, white and red. Its taken 4 days thus far and the last lot of clear coat goes on tonight, and itll be back together tomorrow. Ill be posting piccys up on monday :)
Thanks for the thought anyway. I'm meant to be seeing that dude in Palmy and maybe get a test ride on that one. I can't imagine anything I'd find anything wrong with it in a test ride anyway, I loved my old CBR

So would you consider $5000 for it? Not that I should be too keen since you're not below the line between New Plymouth and Napier my Dad has drawn out for me. $5000 is my upper most limit as that's what I can comfortably pay off and insure whilst still affording petrol (and I've just got most of the loan paper work done at PSIS this morning, I can collect the money when I find the bike). After seeing the bike in Christchurch going for cheap I'd probably like to hang on for something cheaper to turn up though

Swoop
20th April 2007, 12:12
The VFR Preservation Society fully endorses this thread.
Importing more VFR's into the country should be higher on the governments list of priorities. Our dollar has been raised in value specifically for the importation of VFR's, so please be prompt with your purchasing.:rockon:

Coyote
20th April 2007, 12:29
The VFR Preservation Society fully endorses this thread.
Importing more VFR's into the country should be higher on the governments list of priorities. Our dollar has been raised in value specifically for the importation of VFR's, so please be prompt with your purchasing.:rockon:
Haha, too true.

Have to ask my boss if he's able to import bikes over, but he mainly deals in dirt bikes so it's unlikely.

I just noticed Langlands in Masterton have a VFR. This is my chance to test ride! But only my Dad has my licence at PSIS so I can't blimmin go and I've just reached the point of safe return, if I leave now I'll be late for work. Quite ticked off now, have to spend the next 3 hours sitting around till work

Paulus
20th April 2007, 14:16

I've never owned an NC35 but from what I'd heard the ram air system is only a dummy and the engine is more heavily restricted than the NC30 (and therefore less powerful). Most people I know that were into them (and this is a while back now) were of the opinion that the last of the NC30s fitted with a 17" rear (from an NC35) made the ideal 400. YMMV.

Coyote
20th April 2007, 15:04
I've never owned an NC35 but from what I'd heard the ram air system is only a dummy and the engine is more heavily restricted than the NC30 (and therefore less powerful). Most people I know that were into them (and this is a while back now) were of the opinion that the last of the NC30s fitted with a 17" rear (from an NC35) made the ideal 400. YMMV.
Surely you can get RVF parts and put them onto a VFR right? The wheels would have the same hub mount, you could change to an NC35 swingarm but I shouldn't think you had too. And the upside down forks and tripple clamps can just replace the original front end surely?

I'd have to get hold of a 17" wheel, they do look better

I'll be heading over to Masterton tomorrow to check out the VFR. It's out of my price range but it'd be worth test riding and see whether VFR's are the way to go after all

Morcs
20th April 2007, 15:25
It would end up being rather costly.

An rvf is difficult to find, let alone the rear wheel off one.

I hear one of the nsr models' usd forks fit and they greatly improve handling.

Get the VFR. Its not like its second rate or anything to the rvf, and of course this would greatly please the VFR Preservation Society.

more_fasterer
20th April 2007, 17:13
Get the VFR. Its not like its second rate or anything to the rvf, and of course this would greatly please the VFR Preservation Society.

What he said. IMHO the RWU forks on the later VFR's give damned good tracking and control anyway, and aside from the tyre choice there's nothing wrong with the 18" on the rear - even then you can get Dunlop a-10's which stick like the proverbial.

Coyote
20th April 2007, 19:38
It would end up being rather costly.

An rvf is difficult to find, let alone the rear wheel off one.

I hear one of the nsr models' usd forks fit and they greatly improve handling.

True, might skip that

And I'll look into NSR front ends. There seems to be a few of them at wreckers. Also, talking about wreckers, I'll ask the ones in Australia if they have wrecked RVF's and VFR's for sale. I'd like to do what TYGA did with their project bikes and start with a write off that was mechanically straight. After dealing with Buckets and Bits I think they'd be a bit too precious and decided not to sell the entire bike (like when I asked for a CBR crankcase sidecover and they didn't sell it to me cause they could make a bigger buck from selling the engine as a whole) but it'll be worth asking around. And that's sure to please the VFRPS if I resurrect one from the grave.

And I know they're not totally second rate, I'd be fine with a VFR and customise it to what I want it to be.

Coyote
20th April 2007, 19:39
What he said. IMHO the RWU forks on the later VFR's give damned good tracking and control anyway, and aside from the tyre choice there's nothing wrong with the 18" on the rear - even then you can get Dunlop a-10's which stick like the proverbial.
It was mainly looks I was concerned with getting a 17" wheel cause they look beafier and so does the USD forks. Just being vain :p

Coyote
20th April 2007, 22:06
Dudes

I emailed TYGA about their TYGA Eyes III. They only make the fairings that fit them for the RVF (and CBRs) and since I'm in the market for the VFR I asked them if they're making a set for the NC30. They said yes, they'll be available in around 2 weeks. Here's some photos of the prototype (and as far as I'm aware they're not on the site)

Enjoy

jeremyb
21st April 2007, 07:38

What he said!! Henry Dorset Case on here has just got an NC30 race bike and we found a 17" bros wheel on trademe which will hopefully fit and was cheap as chips :done:

ben444
21st April 2007, 13:56
Check this out... The ulitimate VFR!!!!Rothmans HRC RC30 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-1990-RC30-with-HRC-Race-Kit-38-Original-Miles_W0QQitemZ290103496655QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6708 QQcmdZViewItem)
the NZ $ is good at the mo against the us... but me stil too poor. so continue with the build of a rothmans hrc NC30...

Coyote
21st April 2007, 15:43
I know someone that knows someone that has an RVF. Needs some work and needs a VIN number but otherwise it sounds pretty good and it's within my budget (yet to see the photos of it). What restrictions were made on the RVF? I only know of the carbs which are meant to be better but might not be since they're smaller

I test rode that VFR in Masterton. The VFR/RVF is definately the bike for me. Felt close enough to the power of a 600 but it was smaller and lighter. Sounded brilliant too :D

Coyote
21st April 2007, 15:46
What he said!! Henry Dorset Case on here has just got an NC30 race bike and we found a 17" bros wheel on trademe which will hopefully fit and was cheap as chips :done:
Haha, that sounds like a good way to go, I'll look into that

It's the weekend so hopefully more bikes pop up on trademe, although I'm still keen on this RVF. It's in Auckland but I'm trying to convince Dad it might be worth getting

Morcs
23rd April 2007, 09:59
only know of the carbs which are meant to be better but might not be since they're smaller

They are smaller, but they are flatside carbs rather than cv, which are better really.

Fooman
23rd April 2007, 13:03
They are smaller, but they are flatside carbs rather than cv, which are better really.

Exhaust valves are smaller too, but duration is longer.

Also of note is that the USD fork internals of the NC35 are identical to the later RWU fork internals of the NC30 (allegedly)

Cheers,
FM

Coyote
23rd April 2007, 20:21

Exhaust valves are smaller too, but duration is longer.

Also of note is that the USD fork internals of the NC35 are identical to the later RWU fork internals of the NC30 (allegedly)

Cheers,
FM
Well the RVF is still the cooler option but I'd still be happy with an NC30. Just haven't seen photos of it yet. I'm waiting for 'this guy' to log into messenger, failing that though I'll start pestering 'this guy' by PM oh here :p