PDA

View Full Version : Bye, bye Marauder. Well hello there, GSF650S...

Hitcher
21st April 2007, 19:00
It's red. Very red.

Today Mrs H succumbed to temptation and traded in/up her trusty VZ800K4 Marauder for a brand spanking GSF650SK6 Bandit. Whoar!

She test rode the GSR600 as well, but reckons that the Bandit is a better "fit". And after about 70-odd km on the new steed (she doesn't officially collect it until Thursday), she has this very silly grin on her face -- a strange potpourri of excitement, requited lust, and contentment. Good on her!

While she was completing the paperwork, I managed to take the Red Beast for a strop.

Suzuki has been making these Bandits for so long that any bugs they may have had are now part of the Smithsonian Institutes's collection in Washington DC. There are certainly none evident in the Bandit. The engine is well, pretty damned sorted for something that has yet to travel 100km. The gearbox is magnificent (almost as good as a Yamaha) and perfectly matched to the engine. Brakes? Vague as buggery, but improving with use. Not unexpected on a new bike.

Handling? I want one. These things are bonkers fun after a larger ride. Weaving white lines at 65kmh was effortless. Interestingly Mr Suzuki has a Battlax 011 on the front and a Battlax 020 on the rear as OEM. Maybe that answers some questions as to whether different compound tyres should be run together? Whatever, the result is simply splendid. Off the showroom floor the baby Bandit is a very sorted package and one would have to be extremely picky to fault.

The fairing-mounted mirrors are nicely located and give a nice clear view of the world behind -- as opposed to the mirrors on the GSR which reduce the rearview to a meaningless blur at speeds over about 70kmh.

Ergonomics are great and the fit for Mrs H (all 5' 2" of her) is OK. She's a bit tippy-toe but that should ease as the suspension settles after a few km of riding. The fit for a somewhat larger rider is also good.

Dave Anderson Suzuki in Masterton is fitting a Scottoiler and heated grips and doing the pre-delivery stuff like WOF and rego. What nice obliging people they are!

A big change for Mrs H. She is veritably foaming at the bung.

yungatart
21st April 2007, 19:02
Congrats on your new bike Mrs H!
She looks gorgeous...

Joni
21st April 2007, 19:04
Classy bike... for a damn classy lady!

:first:

Disco Dan
21st April 2007, 19:10
Congrats, very nice!

...you wont get very far on the centre stand though... :dodge:

Her_C4
21st April 2007, 19:11
Oh well done Mrs H!!! Noice choice :sunny:

That is great news - I look forward to seeing you both out and about the mighty Waiarapa 'soonish like' :sunny: and I can check out the new steed for myself:rockon:

Course I'll prolly be in a damned car at this rate!!!:shit: :gob: :sunny:

merv
21st April 2007, 19:15
Looking good and off the cruisers.

Trudes
21st April 2007, 19:46
Good stuff Mrs Hitcher, awesome stuff!!! Couldn't wait 9 more years for me to sell my Hornet eh!?
How much does it look like an SV?! (Bloody Suzuki) :dodge:

paturoa
21st April 2007, 19:59
That bandit got a very favourable write up in the latest Kiwi Rider. I took the 1250 bandit for a test ride this week, and if the 6 fiddy is anything like big bro, then you will be very happy! Nice.

saul
21st April 2007, 20:26
Good stuff Mrs Hitcher, awesome stuff!!! Couldn't wait 9 more years for me to sell my Hornet eh!?
How much does it look like an SV?! (Bloody Suzuki) :dodge:

So very true:gob: It's gotta be a great little bike.

Nice:yes:

James Deuce
21st April 2007, 21:51
I sense a ride where mature people behave in an immature fashion.

Perfect colour choice.

Just needs a loudener and it will be perfect.

Mr. Peanut
21st April 2007, 22:29
That's a true freedom bike, something cruisers allude to, but don't quite deliver.

I always thought the GSR looked like it was designed by the marketing department, and the Bandit by riders.

Have fun!

NZsarge
21st April 2007, 23:10
Nice bike, congrats to Mrs H

MD
22nd April 2007, 08:40
Don't you get a buzz out of picking up a new machine . Good choice and yes, Suzook do make sweet gearboxes.
Getting nervous are you Hitcher - next thing you know your Missus will be on a fully fledged sprotsbike!!! Time to trade up the yammy QEII for a crotch rocket?

Hitcher
22nd April 2007, 19:48
Time to trade up the yammy QEII for a crotch rocket?

Not yet. After a trip to and from Taihape today, the hills are still alive with the distant thunder of a TBR-enhanced FJR. And those Avon Storms carved up the Vinegar Hill road like a monorail. And I wouldn't want to get from 0-100kmh much quicker...

Krayy
23rd April 2007, 09:32
<snip>...A big change for Mrs H. She is veritably foaming at the bung.
Ummm...not sure what to make of this statement...but is laughing out loud okay? :innocent:

MyGSXF
23rd April 2007, 09:49
OOOohhh... whadda puurrrdy bike Mrs H!!!! :drool:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

Pwalo
23rd April 2007, 09:50
Very nice. The last of the classic air/oil cooled Bandits. Looks really good in red as well! (And it's got a centre stand - remember them!).

Should be a bit easier handling after the old Marauder.

Hitcher
26th April 2007, 22:03
Today Mrs H delivered her former trusty Marauder to Masterton and brought home her new Pride And Joy.

When I got home from work I had to turn the bike around on our car deck. A few km later I managed to complete this task satisfactorily. In the meanwhile I experienced some wet road riding in the dark. The headlight is superb and the panel illumination first rate -- everything shows up nice and clearly. The bike is just as sure-footed in the wet as it is the dry. It will be interesting to see how the suspension beds in and I don't want to make an adjustments for my bulk as I will not be the primary pilot. But the current set-up isn't too bad: canted over on corrugations the suspension soaks up the bumps nicely and the bike stays on line well. No surprises, just the way I like things!

Mrs H too seems pretty stoked with her new ride. And that is the main thing.

Ronin
26th April 2007, 22:23
She looked damn fine on it too. She gave Lissa and I a big wave just north of Te Marua. looked pretty happy to me.

Nice bike.

Her_C4
26th April 2007, 22:29
Today Mrs H delivered her former trusty Marauder to Masterton and brought home her new Pride And Joy.

So she managed to get a bit of a ride in then ???:dodge:

......A few km later I managed to complete this task satisfactorily. ha ha ha :rockon:

Mrs H too seems pretty stoked with her new ride. And that is the main thing. GREAT news :sunny: :scooter:

merv
26th April 2007, 22:55
Buying bikes in Masterton, is that guy Crasher at WMCC not really the man?

Hitcher
26th April 2007, 23:05
Buying bikes in Masterton, is that guy Crasher at WMCC not really the man?

It was an impulse purchase. And Dave Anderson's is an ideal location for somebody unfamiliar or apprehensive with a new bike to take it for a ride without having to survive the rigours of downtown Wellington traffic. There's a lot to be said for a fully-stocked showroom on a back street in a country town.

bistard
27th April 2007, 08:26
"Impulse Buy",not the first time the "Hitchers have been away on a ride & come home with a new toy!!
Well done Mrs Hitcher,nice bike,glad to see you away from the whole cruiser thing!!

Ronin
27th April 2007, 08:51
It was an impulse purchase. And Dave Anderson's is an ideal location for somebody unfamiliar or apprehensive with a new bike to take it for a ride without having to survive the rigours of downtown Wellington traffic. There's a lot to be said for a fully-stocked showroom on a back street in a country town.

Oi!!!!! Thats the Main Street I will have you know :yes:

Hitcher
27th April 2007, 09:06
Oi!!!!! Thats the Main Street I will have you know

Oh dear. I've been and gone and done it now. Will the Masterton Main Street Society want to burn a cross on my lawn?

Ronin
27th April 2007, 10:06
Just as soon as we can unhitch the horses and grab our banjos expect a visit.

Macktheknife
27th April 2007, 10:18
Bloody good on ya guys, the Bandit is a fantastic bike and the new fuel injected models are even better, enjoy.

Hitcher
27th April 2007, 10:25
the Bandit is a fantastic bike and the new fuel injected models are even better, enjoy.

The new big Bandit 1250 is injected. The 650 has carburettors, but it's smoother than a knob of butter on a hot plate.

ceebie13
27th April 2007, 13:19
You do realise that this purchase will further test the resolve of Mrs Ceebie.
As soon as she clocks that pic of little Jane looking everybit the proud new owner she's going to be badgering me....

Well done and congrats to you both. I smell miles more fun and more tea and cake in Greytown :yes: Give us the nod when you're
next out for a play.

R&L

surfchick
27th April 2007, 15:57
wihooo wihooo mrs H
and it's red red red :):love:

Toaster
27th April 2007, 18:04
Nice one Mr and Mrs Hitcher!! Nice bike. It's good to see you finding a bike that suits you better. Take care on those tip-toes around the Wellington hills now!

Bonez
27th April 2007, 23:45
Neat alright. Certianly covers all the elements I look for/prefer in a motorcycle.
Well done.

Oh and stumbled on this- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-85749970.htm

sels1
28th April 2007, 21:55
Well done Mrs H!

Wasp27
9th May 2007, 15:56
Now that is definitely you....looks like it was custom made for you...excellent choice Mrs H Cheers W