PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Downs taking shape!

K6K
22nd April 2007, 00:22
Construction at the new Hampton Downs racetrack is underway! :Punk: :Punk: :Punk: The attached pic shows the earthworks outlining the general layout. More pics and information at
http://www.hamptondowns.co.nz
You can sort of get an idea of the elevation changes from the pictures.
"The main straight is 950 metres long, with a kink in the middle and a 15 metre rise and fall"
There is still a long way to go...construction started on the 23/2/2007 and the main page on the website says it will be completed in 2 years. I'm hoping the important bits (the track etc) is completed sooner and the 2 year timetable is for everything (including the apartments and industrial units etc.) I want to ride this track.

Mr Merde
22nd April 2007, 08:44
They must be using a company that doesnt work on the public roads.

A racing track finished in two years. My god thats probably 1/5th of the time it would take those dickheads that look after the public highways.

I have just bought a house not too far from this site. On it there is a cottage currently being let for homestays. 2 years isnt too long to wait for the crowds to start needing somewhere to stay. One of the selling points for me was the reasonably close proximaty to the racetrack (15km) and to the dragstrip.

I cant wait.

Mr :shit:

paturoa
22nd April 2007, 09:13
I've done a few trips to Hamihole over the last few weeks and I was surprised to see how close it is to motorway.

They are going to have to shift a moutain of dirt that the bottom corner (top left photo) to create the run off area. Last time I went past they had only done the earth works at the track width, and it was a couple of meters above the swamp.

Alltrax
22nd April 2007, 11:34
looking good!!!

Motu
22nd April 2007, 11:57
The corner close to SH1 looks just fine as it is....it just needs another sweeper at the other end.It should pack down to a good blue groove clay oval.

Pumba
22nd April 2007, 11:59
They must be using a company that doesnt work on the public roads.

Well the company does work on the roads, but its easy on a closed site when transit nz not stickin there noses in every two minutes.

Track is looking great, I have driven past a few times since construction started and I just cant get over the change in elevation, this is going to be awsome once its finished.

Its just a shame it still a couple of years away

Mr Merde
22nd April 2007, 13:02

Its just a shame it still a couple of years away

I agree with you here but I suppose a little bit of waiting wont hurt if the finished product is everything the site says it is going to be.

I'm going to be living in heaven. A race track and a dragstrip not too far from me.

One to use and one to frequent. Oh golly gosh. I cant wait either.

Mr :shit:

TonyB
22nd April 2007, 14:22
I just cant get over the change in elevation, this is going to be awsome once its finished.
Yep. Finally we are going to have a race track with some hills in it!

scooterboynz
31st May 2007, 19:11
does anybody know if they will have the "controlled testing " days like puke?

R6_kid
31st May 2007, 20:59
more than likely, im sure there will be organised bike only days aswell though

DEATH_INC.
31st May 2007, 21:10
it looks damn cool orright, but I'm a little worried about the bits on the swamp....ever seen what happens to a road on a swamp???? Go look at meremere dragstrip.....

Nicksta
31st May 2007, 22:28
be nice to have a decent track within a nice drive distance for a change... i love taupo... but if its as good as they say its going to be, i might have a new home track!
here's hoping i'm racing for that long and not too old!

Matt Bleck
1st June 2007, 09:37
I can't wait for this track to be opened, and the news that Manfeild is getting resealed means that us Central North Islander's are going to be spoilt for choice.... what a bastard!

Reckless
1st June 2007, 09:55
I think its a great site. Nice elevations. Good access close enough to Hamilhole and Dorkland for good crowds as long as the entry fees are reasonable.
I just hope the track design allows good passing. Last A1 GP at Taupo thats all we heard about "lack of passing". Cars are so closley matched in every class now days you have to build tracks with straights long enough to gather speed and corners tight enough to brake hard. Creates passing spots. Sweepers and that U shaped thing in the pic just don't cut it in my view. But we shall see.

Mr Merde
1st June 2007, 10:21
Drove past the other day. Its looking really good.

Didnt realise exactly how close to SH1 it was.

Only 2 years to go.

Kickaha
1st June 2007, 10:27
I can't wait for this track to be opened, and the news that Manfeild is getting resealed means that us Central North Islander's are going to be spoilt for choice.... what a bastard!

Ruapuna is also up for resealing (or parts of) in August

I'll be making the trip up to Hampton downs as soon as it opens

Tim 39
3rd June 2007, 18:21
Ruapuna is also up for resealing (or parts of) in August

I'll be making the trip up to Hampton downs as soon as it opens

Manfield was long overdue to be re sealed, and Im happy to hear that about ruapuna, do you know what bits theyre resealing?

NZsarge
3rd June 2007, 18:24
Yes yes...it's looking like H.D. will be NZ's premier track, nice.:yes:

scrivy
4th June 2007, 09:38
Hills are cool!! :yes:
I raced at Mt Gambier in Australia back in '95, and it had hills - was a friggen awesome track to race on!
As for building on a swamp - well, I think I'll reserve my judgement until its been raced on for 6 months or so. Road surfaces and swamps just don't work. Might be ok for cars to race over patches in the seal, but bikes?? Hell no! :no:

Toaster
4th June 2007, 09:46
Bugger, might have to go buy me another race-bike. Drooling into my cereal bowl.....