PDA

View Full Version : New Bike

texmo
30th August 2004, 18:32
Hey,
My brother wanted me to make a thread asking some advice.
What is the best type of trail bike for some one wanting to race around off road in places like forests and sandy tracks?
Any help would be appreciated thanks.

James Deuce
30th August 2004, 18:43
Depends on his experience. A Honda CRF230 would be fun, but a Suzuki DR250 is probably a better long term bet.

texmo
30th August 2004, 18:47
He used to do down hill racing on a moutain bike and he used to be an extremly good road racer on road bike and he also used to own a little 125cc 2stroke. But he isnt sure what he wants now, knowing him though it wont be long term he'll be intrested in.

Kickaha
30th August 2004, 19:32
Hey,
My brother wanted me to make a thread asking some advice.
What is the best type of trail bike for some one wanting to race around off road in places like forests and sandy tracks?
Any help would be appreciated thanks.

How much money does he want to spend?

texmo
30th August 2004, 19:46
Anything around $3,000. Not inclunding the gear he has another $1000 for that

James Deuce
30th August 2004, 20:06
Anything around $3,000. Not inclunding the gear he has another $1000 for that

Sorry mate. Didn;t realise you meant a hack. I took the title to mean he wanted a NEW bike.

Check www.bikepoint.co.nz out for an idea of pricing, and then go shopping from there.

texmo
30th August 2004, 21:16
Sorry mate. Didn;t realise you meant a hack. I took the title to mean he wanted a NEW bike.

Check www.bikepoint.co.nz out for an idea of pricing, and then go shopping from there.

What do ya mean hack?

James Deuce
30th August 2004, 21:54
What do ya mean hack?

Hack

n 1: one who works hard at boring tasks [syn: drudge, hacker] 2: a politician who belongs to a small clique that controls a political party for private rather than public ends [syn: machine politician, ward-heeler, political hack] 3: a mediocre and disdained writer [syn: hack writer, literary hack] 4: a tool (as a hoe or pick or mattock) used for hacking the soil 5: a car driven by a person whose job is to take passengers where they want to go in exchange for money [syn: cab, taxi, taxicab] 6: an old or over-worked horse [syn: jade, nag, plug] 7: a horse kept for hire 8: a saddle horse used for transportation rather than sport etc. v 1: cut with a hacking tool [syn: chop] 2: informal: be able to manage or manage successfully; "I can't hack it anymore"; "she could not cut the long days in the office" [syn: cut] 3: cut away; "he hacked with way through the forest" 4: kick on the arms 5: kick on the shins 6: fix a computer program piecemeal until it works; "I'm not very good at hacking but I'll give it my best" [syn: hack on] 7: significantly cut up a manuscript [syn: cut up] 8: cough spasmodically; "The patient with emphysema is hacking all day" [syn: whoop]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

See points 6 and 8.

Blakamin
31st August 2004, 08:28
Hey Jim2!

My bike was less than $2000 and it aint no hack! :msn-wink:

James Deuce
31st August 2004, 08:32
Ahh yes, I forgot. The "smiley" generation can't spot sardonic humour without pictograms.

:msn-wink:

:laugh:

:lol:

:D

:2thumbsup

:Punk:

:p

:2thumbsup

Blakamin
31st August 2004, 08:59
oooh cool...smiley generation! :ride:

Hitcher
31st August 2004, 09:04
Ahh yes, I forgot. The "smiley" generation can't spot sardonic humour without pictograms.
Ah, irony is too often wasted...

I blame battery chickens!

texmo
31st August 2004, 17:32
OK so is any one able to help my brother on his quest for a bike then......

Paul in NZ
31st August 2004, 17:41
mate...

Used trail bikes are a mine field.... buy the best example he can find. Brand means bugger all if it is rooted.... And these bikes don't get bought to be babied.

I'd strongly consider new...

Cheers

texmo
31st August 2004, 18:15
Thanks.
Also 2 or 4 stroke and how many cc ?

Al
31st August 2004, 23:15
Oi Texmo, look at bikes, if possible take them for a ride and decide what is best for you or your brother. Some people are 2 stroke fans, some prefer 4 stroke bikes.... The decision must be made by the person buying/wanting to buy the bike.

Al

clint640
1st September 2004, 09:58
Sounds like a rider for a 200 2 stroke enduro, maybe a 250 if he is a big guy. They are nice 'n light, more like a downhill bike than the 4 strokes. Should be able to get a reasonable KDX for $3K.

Cheers
Clint

gav
1st September 2004, 16:56
96 DR200 $1900 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-15208783.htm)
Something like this would be a good place to start