PDA

View Full Version : Addition to VTR CCT statistics

Babelfish
22nd April 2007, 11:05
righto, thats number two CCT gone on the VTR so I thought I'd best post something to add to the statistics. After a scoot down to Welly and back I had the lovely warming rattle around the 2500-3000rpm mark.

Sounded different to the front CCT loosening off, which gave an intermittent rattle where the rear one was more a constant jingle, so while waiting for the new CCT to arrive I just kept the revs above 3k so that I didnt cry.

Pretty much figured now that if the rattle only comes in when the bikes warm (and the oil pressure drops), and its around the 2-3k mark in revs then its CCT time.

The next rattle I get from them two CCT's will see the introduction of a pair of APE manual tensioners to sort out the issue once and for all.

At least the rear cct was a piece of piss in comparison to the front.

Denniso
24th April 2007, 22:32
Hondas have shit cam chain tensioners , sorry had to get that out , but if it helps I heard years ago that honda did at least one model cbr with a non hydrolic tensioner and that some of the nicer dealers used these as a replacment as they did'nt shit themselves this may be a better option as manual tesioners are best left on the race track ( pain in the but to adjust on the side of the road on a long ride as may well happen if you do longer rides). Or you could buy a SV 1000

Babelfish
24th April 2007, 22:55
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate....there are a few non hydrolic honda ccts out there...probably more than you think byh the sounds....not to list them, if I just upgrade to the VTR SP's I'll take myself out of the hydro cct mix. I know the background and although I'm not happy with it, its acceptable.

The manuals are ok, and again, I dont mind the hassle. Its all mixed into the calculation of whether I want to ride a certain bike or not (or should I say "own" a certain bike, as I'd like to ride them all).

The main point of the post was to add to the stats that vtr owners will find should they search the...I dare say a search for CCT is among the most sought after words from people getting into the firestorms.