PDA

View Full Version : Videos from MotoTT trackday 20.4.07 including A Lap with Shaun Harris

Leong
22nd April 2007, 19:14
MotoTT trackday 20 April 2007 - Shaun takes my bike for a few laps with the video camera going. Never happened before but doesn't tape properly and I only get the last lap and a bit!! I find these videos from faster riders really good for improving my own riding so I asked Shaun if it would be OK to share on KB and in typical Shaun fashion he says yes!! So this is him on my road bike with road tyres.

The garbage clears up as he comes out of turn 7......
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3v8EnIYbaqM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3v8EnIYbaqM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Those wanting to see a higher quality version can download the .mov file here (12MB)
http://homepage.mac.com/leong.goh/Biking/FileSharing32.html

Thanks Shaun!!

Leong
22nd April 2007, 19:14
So thats how the experts do it. Heres my story from Session 3.

If anyone would like to give me a few tips on my riding, especially overtaking, here's my video:

Video starts on the old pit straight and I'm behind an R6 I'm destined to stay behind for the session. Kiwifruit comes onto the back straight faster than me, but I have more hp so can hold him off, but theres a slower bike ahead, so I back off and let him past. The R6 pulls a couple of wheelies down the pit straight and the slower bike passes him... I watch KF disappear!! The R6 and I get past the slower bike coming out of turn 5. The R6 passes the next bike on the old pit straight and does a good double apex onto the back straight and is gone. I pass the same bike on the back straight and catch the R6 held up by another bike. He goes round the outside on turn 8 - I hang back so that I can get a run on him coming out of turn coming out of turn 9.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JhJn1D13BkE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JhJn1D13BkE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I catch the R6 under brakes and I follow his line onto the straight. I get a good run and have to use fifth, but the R6 unexpectedly has slowed heaps, and I find myself just about overtaking him on the inside. :Oops: A little scary. I slow a bit to give myself some space but by turn 7 we've caught another bike thru the twisties and follow him for a bit getting blown away on the back straight.

Kickingzebra passes me under brakes at the end of the straight. Great... I'll try to follow him and see what I can learn!! The R6 passes at Turn 1 and Jonno passes between turns 3 and 4. He gets very low having taken an inside line into turn 4. So much for following Jonno. The bike in front brakes early into turn 7 so I attempt to go round the outside but I'm not good enough to pull this off. :violin: Theres a slow motard on the outside after turn 7, so I can't go round the outside of 8. :brick: Even the R6 is getting away!! I'll get a run on him at turn 9 again and finally get past. Jonnos well gone and even the R6 is out of sight on the back straight.

Oh well, at least I've got a clear track!! :Punk: As if on cue the chequered flag appears...... Oh I forgot... this is a trackday. We are not racing!! :second:.

cowboyz
22nd April 2007, 19:20
nice vid. real nice.

As for tips on your riding. -- I got nothing to offer... you are going round alot quicker than I would get round there.......

riffer
22nd April 2007, 19:29
Cool vid.

That last right hand corner, about five seconds from the end - is that noise I can hear the sound of your right foot peg getting ground off...

wicked stuff.

Leong
22nd April 2007, 20:23
....is that noise I can hear the sound of your right foot peg getting ground off...

No, just another dropped frame. I'd moved the pegs to their highest position last weekend, and didn't scrape the pegs myself this time. Don't know bout Shaun tho..... think the knee would be down before the pegs!

boomer
22nd April 2007, 20:26
nice vids :D

from what i can see...(and you know i ain't no Rossi )

You didn't listen to Shauns lines or if you did you didn't copy 'em :p
Shauns corner speed aint too different to yours
However, he's going in faster and harder/later on the brakes
i think hes also turning in sooner too :mellow:
and he's gettin on the gas quicker comin out
The lines Shaun takes on the pitt straight (staying close to the left) and the old pitt straight ( stay close to the left and make 1 apex ) are contrary to what i've been advised.. Just goes to show, the whole tracks there to be used ( and you can see Shaun uses it :yes: )

still.. your getting smoother mate and thats what its all about, that and havin fun. Your right to comment tho how its a track day and the focus should be on that(learning/improving all the aspects of your riding) , not the 'beating teh guy/Jill in front' bravado and red mist that we all know so well :shutup:

I wish i had of been there:scooter:

DMNTD
22nd April 2007, 20:29
... Heres my story ...

Mate...thank you! Was very helpful watching and reading your write up :yes:

Leong
22nd April 2007, 20:54
from what i can see...(and you know i ain't no Rossi ) ............

I wish i had of been there:scooter:

In my defence, I didn't see the video till I got home :p . Course knowing what to do and actually doing it are entirely different too. I'd really like to get into third between turns 5 and 7 and on the old pit straight, but you really have much less time to brake, and from a higher speed too!! Lots to learn!!

Yes twas a good day, but not as much fun as that day when we had our dice with Eman!! :scooter:

Mate...thank you! Was very helpful watching and reading your write up :yes:

Haha!! You're studying for next Saturday aren't you!! See ya then Chris!

DMNTD
22nd April 2007, 21:02
Haha!! You're studying for next Saturday aren't you!! See ya then Chris!

Hell yes! I don't mind being slow but painfully slow? NO!

onearmedbandit
22nd April 2007, 21:03
Awesome vids, bike sounds mint.

boomer
22nd April 2007, 21:03
In my defence, I didn't see the video till I got home :p . Course knowing what to do and actually doing it are entirely different too. I'd really like to get into third between turns 5 and 7 and on the old pit straight, but you really have much less time to brake, and from a higher speed too!! Lots to learn!!

Yes twas a good day, but not as much fun as that day when we had our dice with Eman!! :scooter:

Sorry bro, i wasn't criticising, or rather i didn't mean to!!! you're doing well and i thought that Shaun had taken you around and you'd followed him, watching his lines etc..

either way, its all about havin fun and having ****ers like Saul & Kiwifruit pullin wheelies past you whilst you think your gunnin it :shit:

yeah those sessions with Eman were the go, us on new bikes getting in each others way whilst teh underpowered Eman gave us both a schooling :innocent:

Kendog
22nd April 2007, 21:18
That was excellent, thanks for putting the videos up.

Makes me want to try the Taupo track even more.

Your riding looks sweet to me.

saul
22nd April 2007, 21:21
Sorry bro, i wasn't criticising, or rather i didn't mean to!!! you're doing well and i thought that Shaun had taken you around and you'd followed him, watching his lines etc..

either way, its all about havin fun and having ****ers like Saul & Kiwifruit pullin wheelies past you whilst you think your gunnin it :shit:

yeah those sessions with Eman were the go, us on new bikes getting in each others way whilst teh underpowered Eman gave us both a schooling :innocent:

Mate I just had a look at the vid didn't see myself in it:done: I didn't start pulling wheelies till a bit later in the day when I was getting tired. Not to worry mate:sunny:

Great vids though.:love:

boomer
22nd April 2007, 21:24
...wheelies ....when I was getting tired.

theres no hope for us mere mortals!!!! :no:

i've got some catchin up to do after my bin, even Dovers faster than me now :pinch:

Leong
22nd April 2007, 21:26

Nah, didn't think you were. Interesting to read your analysis on the videos. I thought his corner speed in turns 4 and 9 are much higher but yes they are similar elsewhere. And the biggest difference would be that he would be consistent too...

Don't think Shaun even had a bike there to ride. He'd spent the whole day setting up other people's bikes, when his passion is riding. Said he'd love to take a bike for a ride so I offered him mine - then I realised it would be great to have the video going!! And then I realised he could also comment on my bike's setup too!! :Punk:

ArcherWC
22nd April 2007, 21:50
Great vids mate
Was good to see you out there again, love the backfires from the gsxr

Sanx
22nd April 2007, 22:46
Heh ... after my nice day on the track ... spent the weekend with the other half in Taupo. Spent today jet-boating and going over the hills on a quad. And rolled it. Yep - spent Friday on a 172hp two-wheeled object and kept it upright. Give me a 25hp 250cc quad, and I can't stay on it for more than ninety minutes.

Bit of boken fairing, bent handlebars ... that was it.

kiwifruit
23rd April 2007, 10:38
great videos, thanks Leong
that lap with Shaun is priceless

demeritim
23rd April 2007, 16:38
Thanks for the international humiliation leong thats me on the green z1000 getting dicked by shaun in that vid!
Na no worries mate good footage and good to see ya at the track as long as ya kick blueblades ass we all go home happy. Dont let him beat ya i never hear the end of it!!!!

Matt Bleck
23rd April 2007, 16:59
i've got some catchin up to do after my bin, even Dovers faster than me now :pinch:

Thats gotta hurt!

boomer
23rd April 2007, 17:31
Thats gotta hurt!

you can only imagine :bye: whats worse is that Affman might even give me the learn :shutup:

Matt Bleck
23rd April 2007, 18:38
:killingme oh please stop!

Sanx
23rd April 2007, 21:06
Heheh ... makes me wish I was going to next couple of track days to witness the rematch.

boomer
23rd April 2007, 22:14
the only 1 i have lined up is teh KB one unfortuantely..and i;ll be getting schooled like a little choir boy :innocent:

Keystone19
23rd April 2007, 23:24
the only 1 i have lined up is teh KB one unfortuantely..and i;ll be getting schooled like a little choir boy :innocent:

Yeah...and I can't wait...:devil2:

K6K
24th April 2007, 00:53
Nice videos mate...pity about Shaun's ride not being fully captured but you get the impression that it would be much the same...lap after lap after lap!! Your session was excellent...the bike sounded great too!
I maybe not the best person to give any tips on your riding given my last performance at Taupo but here goes...

I don't know if your new exhaust/PC has changed things but I would suggest you rev the bike less...especially on the straights. I saw you were taking the bike right up to redline most of the time. Stock peak power is around 13500 to 14000 but I suspect your peak power is now at approx 14000 - 14500. You wont know until you get it on the dyno. You want to time your changes so the revs drop to just below peak HP. If you change right at the redline from 3rd gear up your only dropping back to about 15000, so the HP is always tapering off. Use the 'over-rev' from 15 - 16000 when you don't want to change up.
Related to the first point is short-shifting into third between turns 5 and 6 (not my favorite bit of the track) and 7 and 8. I hit the rev limiter in second but in third I can hold a lot more speed before braking for turn 7. I think we are doing about the same speed around turn 8 (2nd versus 3rd about 160/165kph). In 3rd I find it easier to keep the power smooth, and the exit speed is about right for third gear. Another key thing to remember is as you crank it over there are less 'revs' or gear speed available 'cause the circumference of the tyre is reduced. So 2nd gear doesn't leave much room on those parts of the track. After turn 8, turn 9 is a toss up for 2nd or 3rd. I use third but if I don't keep the corner speed up the revs are a bit low on the exit (not enough to shift into second before the corner though).
I think the above will make you feel smoother and even if it initially feels slower (cause the bikes not reving or your short-shifting) you will actually be going quicker.

Shit..long rambling post...sorry!

blueblade
24th April 2007, 10:04
Thanks for the international humiliation leong thats me on the green z1000 getting dicked by shaun in that vid!
Na no worries mate good footage and good to see ya at the track as long as ya kick blueblades ass we all go home happy. Dont let him beat ya i never hear the end of it!!!!

Now thats just downright mean. What did i ever do to you. Cant remember carving you up recently (would've if I could've though) !!!!!!!!

Mind you, on the short track you might have a bit more trouble getting by me since Shaun twiddled with my suspension. Made a huge difference.
Thanks for that Shaun (remember the black Motard?)

BTW its not a race ya know Timmy. HaHa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leong
24th April 2007, 13:46

Thought that was you Tim...... no humiliation getting passed by someone like Shaun though. Did you follow him for a bit? As for Blueblade, it's always great fun riding with you guys.... as long as you're not helping me pick up my bike!!!

you can only imagine :bye: whats worse is that Affman might even give me the learn :shutup:

I reckon you'll get your mojo back way quicker than you think !! :scooter:

blueblade
24th April 2007, 13:54
Just for your info Leong. I tried to follow Shaun earlier in that session when he was on a race bike. Stuck with him for about 3 metres. He was just flying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gob:
A bit later he came by on your bike and, although he was going reasonably quick, I can assure you he was substantially slower than on the race bike. Looked like he was either being very careful with someones pride and joy, or possibly concentrating on analysing what the bike was doing. Either way, i managed to keep him in sight for about 4 corners that time.
Really cool to be on the track with someone like him, and an extra bonus to have him play with our bikes in the pits.:yes:

Leong
24th April 2007, 14:11
I maybe not the best person to give any tips on your riding given my last performance at Taupo but here goes...

I've seen you ride, exactly the same bike as me - I'll listen to you anytime!!

I don't know if your new exhaust/PC has changed things but I would suggest you rev the bike less...especially on the straights. I saw you were taking the bike right up to redline most of the time.

Shit..long rambling post...sorry!

Been meaning to use fewer revs since seeing your video but old habits die hard. I don't look at the tach very much so have to make a conscious effort to do this next time.... really hard in the heat of the moment.... must get out on my own!!! Like the idea of using third in the sections you mentioned so WILL work on this next time. I think it's going to be hard to increase my corner speed in turn 9, so I think I'll bog coming out of it. I suspect this is how I can often overtake there - the one's I'm overtaking are in third!! Thanks for the advice. I didn't think it was long or rambling.

QMOTO
24th April 2007, 17:28
Hey I saw me and my puney 70 Hp in front for a little bit !!

kiwifruit
25th April 2007, 21:34
spent Friday on a 172hp two-wheeled object

ahem.. 172hp :shit: :mellow:

cowpoos
25th April 2007, 22:22
spent Friday on a 172hp two-wheeled object and kept it upright.
sure as hell wasn't your honda then!!!

moT
26th April 2007, 13:49
anyone know who that rider was on the black vfr400 he was good i was haveing mean races with him on my vfr