PDA

View Full Version : Tinted headlight covers

Babelfish
22nd April 2007, 21:41
Hey does anyone know the law in terms of tinted headlight covers? From what I can see I can get a clear, yellow or smoke cover for my bike but are the colour tints allowed?

Gremlin
22nd April 2007, 21:55
I would be interested in knowing this too, but I haven't found a handy source for them yet, hence not it being a pressing issue.

Basically, as far as I know, you may not have a tinted headlight or coloured headlight. At all. This would mean at night, a no no. However, it is not law to have it on during the day, and we only do, 1, for visibility, and 2, a lot of bikes are hard wired.

Therefore, when I try and look for something, it needs be be able to be re-applied, and I just take it off at night.

I've seen a black commodore, all hotted up, and has black covers over the headlights, so I would imagine it would be OK for day?

Babelfish
22nd April 2007, 22:01
Hmmm, yeah, could be a case of getting a smoke and a clear eh? Can I be arsed pissing around changing them though...or remembering to take the clear with me if there is the possibility of a night trip on return?

I'm going to do a search on the net tonight and will post back here if I find something decent.

Gremlin
22nd April 2007, 22:09
I figured you could use a thick coat of clear scuff stop on the headlight(s), a mm or two and have that permanently fitted to the headlight. Then you get some of that static film cling - cut to the headlight shape, that can be re-used, and you have a little container for it.

Your headlight is always protected, but you can have a coloured cover for the day time. :yes:

Babelfish
22nd April 2007, 22:41
Hmmm yeah good point. One thing I like about the covers though is that they are seperated from the light by whatever has stuck them to it (usually little foam double sided pads.

However, the whole cut out bizzo could still work for perspex, which I'd assume would come in a number of colours.

The other thing with smoked colours though is that for a car, its no prob during the day because the lights arent on, but we still need to be seen....hmmmm<_<

Gremlin
22nd April 2007, 22:48
I'm not going to get something with the velcro tabs, I reckon they look completely shite... I would probably glue, or use the static, to keep them in place.

Another option is a skin of some sort. I know its used by signwriters on glass, and you can see through (ie, light), but they appear coloured. Problem with them, they are illegal. They are permanent, one use, and obscure the headlight.

As for being seen... mmm yes, you would need to see how much light is blocked. That said, guys have had full beams on, with fluoro, and cages still try to hit them :mellow:

Kendog
22nd April 2007, 22:59
I'm not going to get something with the velcro tabs, I reckon they look completely shite...

Totally agree. But I have heard you can get clear velcro and I will be looking into that.

skidMark
23rd April 2007, 01:20
personally i would like my headlight to be as visable as possible i ride all day on high beam, even low beam cars do just not see you.

i would put covers the colour of the bike over mine during the day, but i would rather i be seen than look cool and attract more police attention

Babelfish
23rd April 2007, 19:27
Man, the little pads arent THAT big...picky buggers...that said, clear pads would by nice. One company did carbon look, but I dont know how much beter that would make it. I might leave it till I've done the move down to Kapiti then find a place that supplies 3mm perspex and do me own. Then I work out my own mounting...all that said, if you had tinted jobbie the pads wont be so noticable

imdying
23rd April 2007, 20:09
Mulford plastics have 3mm perspex in any colour you'd want. Powerbronze do premade colours, most colours. Saw some black ones on an SV, they look hot... would do it myself if not for the saftey implications.

Babelfish
23rd April 2007, 22:39
Top man, was doing a quick search for plastics today but came up with squat. I'll swing over and have a look tomorrow. Think I'll try and go for a clear and a mild tint and check out the light difference. Will post results.