PDA

View Full Version : DR650 set up for the long haul

Bartman10
23rd April 2007, 13:20
We’ve spent a bit of time preparing the bikes for the trip to Russia, so I thought I’d put some details and pictures up.

The bikes are 2006 DR650SE’s from Dannevirke Suzuki. The blue one has been lowered by altering the rear suspension and turning over a spacer in the front forks.

The first thing we did was replace the screws in the bikes with stainless steel cap screws, especially on the carburettor, switch blocks, coil, and body work. The Suzuki fasteners have a reputation for being very soft, and after a few years they become seized and impossible to remove. I got the fasteners from EDL and they cost about $110 for the whole job.

The next thing we did was start constructing the luggage racks front and rear. The rear luggage rack is a simple truss structure, I wanted the frame to be as far forward as possible, but still wanted to be able to remove the seat with the frame attached. This has worked pretty well and I’m happy with the final design. I’ve designed the rack to enhance the strength of the rear sub-frame, but we’ll see how it goes. According to Chris Scott’s Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, sub-frame failure is the second most common problem after punctures. Plenty of good welders in Russia though, so if it breaks it won’t be a show stopper.

To try and get a slightly more even weight distribution over the front and rear, we’ve also decided to add front pannier bags. These are Ortlieb Front Roller cycling bags. I’ve bent the rack up out of 10 mm plain bar and got it zinc coated at Perry’s Metal Coaters in Seaview. I must say I would not recommend their services to anyone. They took about a month to do the job, lost some of the parts, which I had to remake in my own time and cost, and worst of all the job looks like a kindergarten kid did it. The zinc is uneven and lumpy and they’ve missed some bits altogether. The Ortlieb bags themselves are fantastic and we’re really happy with them and the way they sit, taking wind and rain in their stride.

Next we’ve added some tough Factory 909 handle bars and big hand guards thanks to the guys at SportsPro.

We then added a home made headlight guard bent up from a piece of Lexan and added some Givi A601 windscreens, donated by the Givi importer Eurobike. The windscreens have made a huge difference to the wind fatigue and have made riding the DR’s quite a bit more comfy. I’d highly recommend the windscreens if you’re planning to do lots of road miles.

Next we added Scottoilers, also donated by the Scottoiler importer Eurobike. These have kept our chains very clean. I think I’m a Scottoiler convert for life now. Clean, easy, no worries. We mounted them on the main frame near the carb, cutting into the vaccum line for the fuel tap.

We then added some tough B&B bash plates from B&B engineering in Aussie. Really happy with them.

We’ve also added inline fuel filters, and put new oil filters in courtesy of Champion.

We're using a peice of 80 mm drain pipe to put tent poles and tools in. We've attached in the place of the existing tool kit. You can clearly see it in P7.

Then we added our Aluminium pannier boxes, courtesy of Ullrich Aluminium and Velocity Engineering. They’re 1.6 mm thick which is quite thick, but they’re tough enough to handle the weight of the bikes when changing tyres etc. They also make a nice seat. Right pannier is 170 x 300 x 400 mm (WxDxL) and left pannier is 205 x 300 x 400 mm. Overall the panniers are the same width as the handle bars.

Lastly we put on some meaty Continental TKC80’s which are awesome tyres. Highly recommended. Tried them out on and they hook up fine on grass and gravel even when the bikes are well loaded up. Seem to have good grip on the road too. We’re carrying two rear spares and one front spare each, which we’ll send ahead.

For extra fuel we’re using MSR Dromedary bladders and for water we’re using some MSR Dromedary Lite bladders.

We've strengthened the main wiring loom by putting some spiral wrap around where it chafes on the head stock.

Total weight with all our equipment, spares, main fuel etc (but no food, extra fuel and water) is 205 kg average (Jane is 10 kg lighter, Bartman is carrying all the tools and spares). Food water and extra fuel will come to about 20kg, so we’re looking at 225 kg loaded to maximum capacity, which is a bit heavier than I’d hoped but still a full 120 kg lighter than the ‘Long Way Round’ guys. Most of the time we won’t have to carry the extra fuel and water, it’s only through a short 3000 km section, where fuel and water are sparse.

I’ve cut down the side stand on the bikes too, because when loaded up the suspension squats down quite a bit, meaning that they’re very unstable on the side stands.

Spare parts include:
A spare pair of brake pads each
A spare set of wheel bearings each
Spare throttle and clutch cables
Spare brake and clutch levers
Spare inner tubes front and rear
Tyre repair kit, consisting of tyre levers, glue, patches and a small hammer.
Spare valve cores and valve caps
A selection of fuses, electrical connectors and o-rings
Locktite instant gasket
Kneed-it
Rubber and molly grease
Anti-seize compound
Locktite 262
A spare regulator/rectifier courtesy of Eurobike
2 spare rear Continental TKC80 tyres and one spare Continental TKC80 front tyre each
Cable ties
Lock wire
Electrical wire.

What's your DR like, then? I'd be interested to hear your comments.

cowpoos
23rd April 2007, 13:27
nice setup....the yellow racing leathers just top it all off ;)

Bartman10
23rd April 2007, 13:28
the yellow racing leathers just top it all off ;)

Yeah, I've run out of money. I know they're probably not the best for adventure riding, but it's all I've got.

Cheers.

Keystone19
23rd April 2007, 13:32
It all looks fantastic! I'll look forward to tracking your progress via the website once you are underway!

Crisis management
23rd April 2007, 13:54
Looks really great Bartman, everything seems well thought out and substantial, well done!
Only comment I have is re spares....the rear outer bearing, on the sprocket carrier seems a bit unprotected on the DR's. I've had to replace mine when the main wheel bearings have still been in perfect condition so maybe a couple of extra spares of those?

Really looking forward to following your progress (with an awful lot of envy too)!

NordieBoy
23rd April 2007, 14:19
Have you cut down both side stands?

I have a factory short stand that I'd swap for a normal length one.

Bartman10
23rd April 2007, 14:23
Have you cut down both side stands?

I have a factory short stand that I'd swap for a normal length one.

Chopped about 60 mm out of the blue one and 20 mm out of the yellow one.

Job's already done... Sorry...

Cheers.

cooneyr
23rd April 2007, 16:29
Those bikes look awesome. Really well put together with sensible mods to carry the gear. Keep us updated with progress cause I'm watching with interest. :Punk:

How are you going compared to the schedule on your site? About a month to go now?

Cheers R

Bartman10
23rd April 2007, 16:38
Those bikes look awesome. Really well put together with sensible mods to carry the gear. Keep us updated with progress cause I'm watching with interest. :Punk:

How are you going compared to the schedule on your site? About a month to go now?

Cheers R

Hiya R. Yeah about a month to go... The bikes leave Thursday... We're meeting them in Korea late May...

Got all the paperwork in hand so it should be a snip to get through the Russian border....in theory anyway.... never mind Hitler and Napoleon.

Tried to keep it sensible. Hope they're not too heavy when the going gets tough. I couldn't really see how we could make it any lighter though, except by ditching the camping gear and relying of friendly locals for accommodation...

Soft luggage would have made a difference but security worries put me off that idea. Besides the pannier boxes are very handy for changing tyres (see photo) and as a seat when camping and for preparing food on.

I'll try to update the site soon, but been way to busy with other stuff.

Cheers.

cooneyr
23rd April 2007, 20:53
Hiya R. Yeah about a month to go... The bikes leave Thursday... We're meeting them in Korea late May...

Got all the paperwork in hand so it should be a snip to get through the Russian border....in theory anyway.... never mind Hitler and Napoleon.

Tried to keep it sensible. Hope they're not too heavy when the going gets tough. I couldn't really see how we could make it any lighter though, except by ditching the camping gear and relying of friendly locals for accommodation...

Soft luggage would have made a difference but security worries put me off that idea. Besides the pannier boxes are very handy for changing tyres (see photo) and as a seat when camping and for preparing food on.

I'll try to update the site soon, but been way to busy with other stuff.

Cheers.

I recon you have a good amount of gear when you consider that you have the parts and camping gear you have. I wouldnt go with anything less but I would try really hard not to go with any more. The crap that the Charlie and Ewan took was rediculous especially when you consider that they had a support vehicle as well.

I understand and agree about the hard panniers. Kinda handy let along the safety aspect.

Best of luck.
Cheers R

CM2005
23rd April 2007, 21:14
awesome. best of luck guys, i'll watch you website! are you going to enter the Dakar after that? the bikes look real good, no ABS to go wrong etc!

DR650SE
23rd April 2007, 21:59
good luck and all the best

paulj
24th April 2007, 05:01
Brilliant - you've had a real adventure just doing the set-up - looks great and all the best for a fantastic trip.

Had you considered a center stand for the DR? Handy for those pesky punctures.

Bartman10
24th April 2007, 15:31
Brilliant - you've had a real adventure just doing the set-up - looks great and all the best for a fantastic trip.

Had you considered a center stand for the DR? Handy for those pesky punctures.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the comments.

It sure has been a wicked adventure setting the bikes up. Being a bit of a tinkerer I've really enjoyed it.

The red tape and paperwork is the only thing that's been a real headache. Otherwise I've enjoyed every aspect of the trip.

We did consider a center stand, and I even started modifying a GB center stand. In the end it wasn't worth the extra weight and trouble though. The bash-plates provide an excellent surface for jamming things under, like the luggage boxes to prop the bike up. Anyway we've got about 150 patches, which will surely appease the puncture gods!

Cheers,

Mark.

clint640
26th April 2007, 12:11
Looks real good. Pretty hard to beat a well set up DR for RTW touring I reckon. The only thing I'd do differently is run a bigger tank rather than carrying gas on the back. We'll be following your progress with interest.

Cheers
Clint

Bartman10
30th April 2007, 14:46
Cheers Clint. Gotta update the website soon I guess, just been a bit busy with other stuff.

The bikes are now heading to Korea! Cool. Lets hope they don't get lost or stolen!

I recon the DR will be pretty good, too. There were a host of reasons for choosing them. Some people recon a KTM or BMW would be better, but cost and height (Jane ain't that tall) put us off them. The KLR is also a big bike.

The tank has been a bit of a sticking point. Probably would have been a good idea but finances are a bit tight and we were keen to put those tank panniers on. The tanks may be a pain up the rear, but I don't think they'll be a show stopper.

Cheers,

Mark

Navigator
2nd May 2007, 02:28
Hi Bartman,

I just came across your posting (having not previously heard of thr site) whilst looking for the availability of Ortlieb bags in NZ. My friend Danny and I have spent the last 13 months riding two F650's from England to Malaysia. The bikes are currently on a ship bound for Christchurch (due to arrive 24/05). I'll arrive in XC on 10th May and Danny a week later. We sent all our snowboarding gear to NZ before we left and are looking forward to a seasons boarding before we tour the two islands. We know of four fellow overlanders on the road at present riding DR650's. I've no idea where you are in NZ but if you're on the South Island anf fancy a beer and a chat - I'm sure you've got loads of questions - let me know. Godd luk with the planning - getting excited yet!?

All the Best

Navigator

Bartman10
2nd May 2007, 11:58
Hi Bartman,

I just came across your posting (having not previously heard of thr site) whilst looking for the availability of Ortlieb bags in NZ.

Ortlieb bags are distributed by outsider mountain sports
www.oms.co.nz give them a call. They're pretty expensive, but probably worth it.

My friend Danny and I have spent the last 13 months riding two F650's from England to Malaysia. The bikes are currently on a ship bound for Christchurch (due to arrive 24/05).

Well how about that! I'll be in Christchurch from the 27th of May. If you need a hand at the port send me a private message. I have a van, tools, and workshop available in Christchurch.

I'll arrive in XC on 10th May and Danny a week later. We sent all our snowboarding gear to NZ before we left and are looking forward to a seasons boarding before we tour the two islands.

Great snowboarding in SI. North island can be good too. Season typically runs from early June to September.

We know of four fellow overlanders on the road at present riding DR650's. I've no idea where you are in NZ but if you're on the South Island anf fancy a beer and a chat -

I'm in Wellington until the 27th of May, from then I'll be in Christchurch, and I always fancy a beer! :beer:

I'm sure you've got loads of questions - let me know. Godd luk with the planning - getting excited yet!?

All the Best

Navigator

Planning is mostly done! The bikes are en-route to Korea now. We pick them up early June.

Cheers,

Bartman.

Bartman10
13th July 2007, 19:39
Quick update on the DR front.

Recap. I set up the DR up for a trip across Russia. We got to Russia about a month ago.

We've done about 5,000 ks over pretty rough terain here in Russia, including a rough 2000 km section which was all roadworks across the former Zilov gap (those Long Way Round fans will remeber that Boorman and Co took the train across this section) That's right 2000 km road works! That's about the length of NZ from Cape to Bluff. The road was pretty potholed and carved up. They've built the road using the only construction method they know - the same as the railway line! Heaping masses of gravel across the swamp. The whole lot seems to be moving a lot and I don't think that sealing it will ever work. Unfortunately I can't load photos just at the moment.

We went for minimum weight carrying only a tent, sleeping bag and 1 set of clothes each. We're running Conti TKC80's and they have been awesome, holding up well on all surfaces. We couriered a spare set of tyres ahead, which we pick up in about 1600 km. Only one flat so far on Jane's bike when she hit a sharp bit of metal.

We are running stock DR650 petrol tanks. I thought that range would be a problem but fuel is very widely available here, even in unpopulated areas, thanks to the soviet war machine; they distributed fuel very widely. Furthest we've had to go so far for fuel is 200 km, even though we've spent quite a bit of time off the main roads.

Also been running stock shocks and stock seat, with a bit of sheepskin. No problems so far with either, but have bottomed out a couple of times in big potholes on rear shock.

Conditions have been very dusty and I've been cleaning the air filter every 1 or 2 days

Overall ecconomy has been about 21 km/l.

Running 92 octane and 95 whenever possible. Temperature has been hovering around 30 degrees, sometimes hotter.

I found some Shell Advance synthetic oil at great expense, but it seems to be doing the trick.

We're near lake Baikal now. Lake Baikal is fasinating. Do a search if you're interested.

Russia is biker and camper heaven. Plenty of rivers and good tent sites. Plenty of roads, not many cars, plenty of fuel.

Haven't seen any bears or tigers yet, except stuffed ones. Biggest headache has been mosquitos.

We saw a couple of guys on BMW's but they'd been struggling with the weight of their machines. They'd attemped Mongolia but bailed out after about 100 km due to high river levels.

Summary: DR's have been fantastic in pretty testing conditions.

www.russiantraverse.co.nz

Cheers,

Mark.

tri boy
13th July 2007, 20:33
Thanks for the update.
Happy travels.:yes:

merv
13th July 2007, 21:58
Good to hear from you mate and that things are going well.

NordieBoy
13th July 2007, 22:13
Go the DR's :D

Oh, and your good selves of course.

martinz
1st June 2010, 09:24
Do you happen to have a list of the specs or part #'s for all the screws you replaced? Great idea!

NordieBoy
1st June 2010, 09:40
May be some time in responding.
Bartman10 last posted in this thread in 2007 and last posted on KiwiBiker 2 years ago.

dino3310
1st June 2010, 09:47
good to reserect the thread though theres some info in here for DR noobs