PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had your bike nicked, or know someone who has?

Duke of Rogan
30th June 2003, 09:58
I ask this question 'cos insurance companies consistantly claim that motorcycles are often stolen, and therefore attract a higher premium.

I have only ever heard of a couple people having their bike stolen, and assume its more of a problem for Harley owners...

Antallica
30th June 2003, 10:42
Don't know anyone who has nor had mine nicked..... doesn't mean I am invincible though ;)

*looks out for suspicious vans*

Coldkiwi
30th June 2003, 12:34
i've had mine tampered with and it would've been nicked if it hadn't had a disc lock on (steering lock and ignition are STILL not fixed!.. its screwdriver operated now :)

Urban Terrorist
30th June 2003, 14:27
Yip, my last roadbike was stolen from outside a mates place at the Mount. Ignition was locked but no disk lock (VT 250 with weirdo front brake). The cops caught the guy on it a few days later when he crashed it for the umpteenth time and he ended up doing a few months.

Duke of Rogan
30th June 2003, 14:31
I should of also included the response:
"no, but I've had a car nicked"

I reckon bikes aren't targeted more by thieves, wonder if Statistics NZ have any figures on this.

bluninja
30th June 2003, 17:06
First theft I know of was of a mates honda 250 in 1980, and the insurance company refused to pay up (things don't change that much do they?). Things got so bad in the UK with superbike thefts that you couldn't get insurance without the bike being locked in a garage overnight and equipped with alarm and immobiliser.

Having said that my Suzuki A100 could be started with a lollipop stick, but nobody stole that and I used to leave my car unlocked when liviing Glasgow so that if people wanted anything out of it they didn't put a brick through the window. Never had it nicked.....still a marina 1.8 in budgie greeny yellow was not something people really wanted to be seen in.

TTFN

Motoracer
30th June 2003, 18:26
lol... thats one way of fighting back or should I say surendering your lifestyle. Either way thats a bloody good economical solution to this theft nuisance. :niceone:

georgedubyabush
30th June 2003, 18:59
kawasaki colour?

Kwaka-Kid
1st July 2003, 02:09
haha, funny stuff

nope never heard of one being stolen in my whole long life :P

hmm, its 2:08am, i should really sleep? meh, but i was always told by my old man that even my CB250RS was a risk because of how easy it is, just 1 man and a van, and boom, its gone, and the motors in his kids go-kart

:S stuffed if i know.

Redstar
1st July 2003, 21:59
I had a suzuki GT500A stolen so reported it to the police and they bloody found it Dame!

SPman
1st July 2003, 22:27
Mate had a near new TX500 Yamaha stolen once (and forever) - he was well pleased! :)

I had the Ducati nicked! I wasn't! :angry2:

Dave
2nd July 2003, 08:37
Friend of mine had a 750 duke nicked.we'd been out on a ride,got back,he stopped at a friends on the way home,parked the bike in the front yard,outside the OPEN front door.Was only there 10 min's,came out and the bike was gone-we rekon he'd been followed around there.never saw it again.

Gixxer
2nd July 2003, 17:39
My mate had his 88 XR250 pinched out of his locked garage.

Coldkiwi
2nd July 2003, 17:53
recently? man... talk about desperate crims!

Kwaka-Kid
2nd July 2003, 22:48
even 19988 is recent enough for better bikes to be aorund, i dunno if it was 1978.. then maybe, itd beat those brittish motorized bicycles

:)

Gixxer
3rd July 2003, 08:29
<DIV>I think it was around 4 years back, good bike, would have made a nice little trail bike, no need to register and all that, no key needed to start it.

my&nbsp;mate in a fit of depression went out and blew 9 grand on a brand new XR 650 the next day.</DIV>

What?
5th July 2003, 09:39
A bloke I know had his FZR thou stolen a few years back. Must have been trailered away - the theiving mongrels launched it into a lake after discovering the hard way that the gear shift pattern was down-side-up! Sadly, the asshole did not drown. The bike did.

ducati996
16th July 2003, 04:26
My 96 ZX6-R was stolen about 3 years ago.

It was fitted with Datatag & bolted down with a heavy duty chain.

When I bought my 7R they insisted on it being garaged & fitted with Datatag & a Spyball.

ducati996

scumdog
16th July 2003, 10:02
Down here a lot of farm bikes and quads are stolen, maybe the insurance dudes etc. lump all "bikes" into the same catagory for their statistics?
Had a 120Y Datsun nicked once, got it back from a town 80km away the next day but the bodywork was not so flash (had dings now as well as rust!)

wkid_one
16th July 2003, 13:20
I have mine bolted to the ground with a Harley Bolt (Dynabolt) merely as a precaution&nbsp;- been lucky enough to not have anything nicked thus far (yes I am touching wood)...using a Abus Security Lock.

In the end it is merely a deterrent rather than an absolute preventative method.&nbsp;

Big Dog
10th August 2003, 01:46
My first road legal bike got nicked before i got to ride it (other than the demo). It arrived a 7.30pm Dad made me leave my first ride till daylight.:argh:

(Yamaha xs250rk 88ish)

Got up to go to work. No bike.
Bugger, hitching to work again (Urenui to New Plymouth).

Police found it about lunchtime 20feet up in a tree in Waitara.:gob:

No major damage was able to ride it back to the shop.:D

$200 of switchgear damage:angry2:

But what really got me hopping was when the insurance co was if the damage had been $500 or more they would have paid the lot no damage to the no claims bonus, and no excess:angry2: WTF is up with that?

jrandom
11th August 2003, 09:08
A mate of mine had his '97 ZX-7R nicked last year. Parked up in High Street, apparently a couple of scrotes screwdrivered it and rode around town snatching bags (really!)

Cops found it down a ditch somewhere and he got it back several months ago, unrideable, about $7000 of damage, which he ended up paying for most of.

Poor bastard. It was like his child had been run over by a bus, or something :(

They never caught the guys.

Dunno what the lesson is there... use a disk lock, I suppose. Or ride a shite old bike :p

Hitcher
9th January 2004, 13:29
I had a most excellent conversation with Dave at Kiwirider insurance brokers when I bought the Zrex (bloody good company to deal with too, by the way. A $800 annual price difference between the policy Dave sold me and AMI's best quote). The three key indicators they appear to use for insurance pricing steps are: Over $10,000, over 1,000cc and over $30,000. The $30,000 step is code for "Harley".
:shit:

Ms Piggy
9th January 2004, 14:53
...before I owned it. We live up near a resevoir and my flatmate used to keep it chained up to that. She got it back & all they had done was take out the ignition & smashed the lights. I guess she got it back b/c it has a very distinctive paint job. :angry:

sAsLEX
9th January 2004, 19:04
My 96 ZX6-R was stolen about 3 years ago.

It was fitted with Datatag & bolted down with a heavy duty chain.

When I bought my 7R they insisted on it being garaged & fitted with Datatag & a Spyball.

ducati996

Could you please enlighten me as to what a datatag and spyball are and what they do?

angle
10th January 2004, 02:32
Dunno what the lesson is there... use a disk lock, I suppose.

That reminds me, a couple of weeks ago I bought a "Buffo" disc lock at Motomail (that was the only disc lock they had). I used to put it on the rear wheel, and two days later I forgot to take it off before riding away. After covering around three meters I heard a "clanking" noise, stopped and looked back to find the disc lock lying on the groung broken into two. It was a total waste of money...

Jackrat
10th January 2004, 08:20
I worked in insurance investigation for a while.
Checked out hundreds of stolen bikes.
If the scum really want it they will get it.
Use a disc lock, And chain it to something.
Iv'e seen a garage with a new door,Via chain saw.
A full dress Harley dragged over the top of a car they couldn't move.
A new fireblade wheeled over a km on two skate boards.
A cop from Hamilton had two brand new Harleys taken from the same place in the same way,Do you think he got payed out the second time? :bash:

georgedubyabush
10th January 2004, 09:02
I worked in insurance investigation for a while.
Checked out hundreds of stolen bikes.
If the scum really want it they will get it.
Use a disc lock, And chain it to something.
Iv'e seen a garage with a new door,Via chain saw.
A full dress Harley dragged over the top of a car they couldn't move.
A new fireblade wheeled over a km on two skate boards.
A cop from Hamilton had two brand new Harleys taken from the same place in the same way,Do you think he got payed out the second time? :bash:

A guy in Rawene had his Harley chained to the floor... came home to find just the frame... chained to the floor.

Ogri
10th January 2004, 09:10
Stop, stop, stop......................... you're scaring the shit out of me. Mine is just sitting in the garage, no lock, not even the steering lock. I'm going straight into town to buy a dirty great chain and then to the local pound to get a dirty great dog!!!!

James Deuce
10th January 2004, 10:56
I think Jackrat is right. If the scumbags want it they'll take it. And after being burgled 3 times, believe me they TAKE it. I just use the normal precautions to make sure it meets the insurance requirements.

Ms Piggy
10th January 2004, 11:50
Yup if they want it they'll just take it, where my flatmate had here bike parked was a well lit area & like I said it was chained up.
We laso had a neighbour down the road who had their bike stolen from their garage and in fact my other flatmate had a little scooter that some sh*t heads threw down the bank! :argh:

wari
10th January 2004, 12:14
..my other flatmate had a little scooter that some sh*t heads threw down the bank! :argh:

Talkin about shit heads ... I noticed 3 cars that had had their rear windscreen or 1/4 light windows smashed in on Glengarry Road this morning on my way to work ... one had both windows broken in ... that makes me mad :mad: :angry:

boris
10th January 2004, 18:39
had push bike stolen the last one i got back because the cop give me a ticket for no cycle helmet and took down the number in case i had stolen it.Found a guy ,who used to live around the corner from me ,on in in rotorua.The cop told me he went to jail for it.

Boris

Timber020
11th January 2004, 17:30
I had the same road bike stolen twice, got it back both times. been taken for a thrash, luckily there is little hurt they could do to it.

Dad had his farmbike stolen, guy was found drunk as a skunk after breaking into the local golf club and unfit to ride it any further.

Quads and dirtbikes get nicked ALOT. A mate of mine lost 2 quads and his motocross bike from a locked shed around the back of the house. they went past the house, drugged the dogs, cut through the side of the skyline garage to get in and unbolt the main doors and pushed them some 200m to get them clear of the house. Highly organised team.

Another lost an XR200 and KX250 at different times. We were at a party 6 months later and found the KX250 and "Liberated" it by force. Put it back in his shed as a suprise, that morning the insurance rep turned up with a check for the loss of the bike. The bike was stuffed anyhow, and luckily had 125 stickers on it so the rep still left him with the money. Phew!
Third lost an XR250 and a quad, locked shed, dogs, right next to house. The team doing the thefts were caught a year later, boy they had really done some serious numbers.
I would say dirt and farm bikes make up alot of these statistics, as I think they contribute to our acc levys. Hell I know 2 people who have been killed on quads.

Racer X
14th January 2004, 16:01
No motorbikes, but 2 days ago our washing machine and my mountain bike were stolen while we were camping.
The funny thing is the police turned up about 2 minutes after my mum reported it - apparently they were doing traffic duty nearby.
I'm gonna do some vigalante work now :ar15: :bash:

Motoracer
14th January 2004, 16:23
I reckon the best trick to protect your garage is getting an alarm. I am saving up for a flash one my self. All I have to do then is put a baseball bat under my bed and have a relaxed/reassured sleep. As soon as the alram goes off I will run out and bash the shit out off the mongrels. If you are willing to spend more, I would also highly recommend security cameras to really catch them, if they managed to make a run for it that is.

marty
14th January 2004, 16:52
chains padlocks etc will only slow them down. get an alarm. a good one, that sets itself after 30 seconds on the stand. make sure the siren has it's own battery, and that it has a bump switch - stops idiots from sitting on it in the street.

hitcher - do you have a number for dave at kiwirider insurance? i've currently got the aprilia thru ami at about $400/annum, but their 1000cc/$15k bike premiums are insane. i've found somewhere for $750 premium/$750 excess, but cheaper again would be good.

matthewt
14th January 2004, 19:43
Had my first bike (suzi gt185) nicked from the supermarket I worked (after school job). Found some of the panels at a wreckers months later. Dorks tried to hacksaw the frame apart to get the engine out would you believe. The above wrecker tried to BS that the parts weren't stolen, even after I explained that the panels had been spray painted by me and you could see the crap job I job repainting the "gt185" badges.

I thought the MV had been stolen just after Xmas but that's another story.

ching_ching
26th January 2004, 05:26
i've had mine tampered with and it would've been nicked if it hadn't had a disc lock on (steering lock and ignition are STILL not fixed!.. its screwdriver operated now :)

Hi ColdKiwi,

Gee rats. Mind you we both know how the Alstare gets the stares because of the unusual graphics.
I personally don't know anyone who's had a sickle taken but at work in the jails, the inmates tell me that generally harley's and trumpies are the targets... or basically anything that's not Japanese made. I say any bike is a potential target... opportunistic or specifically targeted.

ching_ching

vifferman
2nd April 2004, 13:58
years ago (1992??) I had my Honda XB500RS Mutant stolen by joy-riders one night. I had to go out to work after dinner (worked 2 blocks away from home) and didn't know how long I'd be, so I left the garage door open, not expecting to be long. Returned *hours* later to find bike gone. Rang the cops etc., then went to bed.

The Mutant had custom exhausts (Cycleworks? IIRC), which were loud and distinctive. I was lying there in bed, and I was sure I could hear them. Got up - yup, sure could. So I drove around for a bit, stopping the car and listening occasionally, but no luck. I was pissed off.

Next morning, cops rang me to say bike is found - in a new subdivision less than 3 blocks away! So I went and picked it up. Little damage, apart from a few minor scrapes and scratches from it being used as a dirt-bike (well, it did have an XR500 engine!) and a broken ignition lock (the old "jam the screwdriver in and apply brute force" trick). Luckily, a girl at work had a flatmate who was selling some CB250RS bits, so I got replacement bits for very little.

Insurance company whacked a $1500 excess on my last bike (VFR750), solely because it had a higher theft risk, being a 750. Yeah? Even though it almost always lived in an alarmed and monitored garage at home, and a security garage at work?

claire
2nd April 2004, 16:48
A friend of mine has had their Harley stolen, primarily because it was a Harley and some low life decided they wanted it more than he did.

I used to not worry about my 600 being stolen figured if someone took the time and effort to break into our shed they wouldn't take the 600 with the R1 parked next to it!!!

The sad thing is it doesn't matter what you do to secure your bike if someone wants it bad enough they'll find a way of taking it. We insure our bikes well so if anything happens to them we will be able to replace them, the trick is in finding an insurer interested in insuring bikes - most aren't I've found so we have most of our insurances with a broker who takes care of finding the best deal.

Claire

White trash
2nd April 2004, 17:04
I read somewhere that of all the bikes sold in the UK this year, 30% will get stolen :shit:

Not sure if it's true or not but a bloody scary statistic if it is true :confused2

F5 Dave
2nd April 2004, 17:33
My PE175 was stolen out of a garage back in the mid 80s & a couple of years back on old Grogus DT200 I had lent to a friend was stolen. A mate of mine saw it being ridden around, called the cops & they caught the kids but not before the kid tried to ride off mid conversation with constable donut who believed kids story & my mate tackled him.

The other bike stolen at the same time was retrieved after a couple of days negotiation with the thief. Cops really are quite uninterested & incompetent, they are always just going on leave when you tell them where the bike is & it gets moved so you have to find it again etc etc.

Also my old flatmate had a van stolen from outside my house. They found it 5 yrs later in the Manuwatu Gorge. Scary thing was it was emblazoned with sign writing of a motorcycle accessory warehouse. Maybe they got confused & thought it was a bike.

bgd
2nd April 2004, 20:15
For years in the UK sports bikes were the target ( and I'm sure they still are) but it seems that scooters are now very popular. Often helmets are stored under the seat so if you take a scooter you get the whole package.

When I insured my bike there was no discount for an alarm or immobiliser so I didn't bother. Premiums are lower if you are over 30, live in a 'safe' post code and are married. Of course having no history of claims also helps.

Friend living in central London bought a blade and then tried to insure it. First quote was £11,000. He eventually managed to get insured for £1,500 but had to rent a garage (£1,300pa) 15mins walk from his flat. It was easier for him to take the tube than ride the bike. I think next time he might sort insurance before he buys.

Lou Girardin
3rd April 2004, 07:11
For years in the UK sports bikes were the target ( and I'm sure they still are) but it seems that scooters are now very popular. Often helmets are stored under the seat so if you take a scooter you get the whole package.

When I insured my bike there was no discount for an alarm or immobiliser so I didn't bother. Premiums are lower if you are over 30, live in a 'safe' post code and are married. Of course having no history of claims also helps.

Friend living in central London bought a blade and then tried to insure it. First quote was £11,000. He eventually managed to get insured for £1,500 but had to rent a garage (£1,300pa) 15mins walk from his flat. It was easier for him to take the tube than ride the bike. I think next time he might sort insurance before he buys.

And unlike NZ, insurance is compulsory.
Lou

Posh Tourer :P
3rd April 2004, 09:32
And thus they can charge what they like for it...... grrr

pete376403
4th April 2004, 18:13
Could you please enlighten me as to what a datatag and spyball are and what they do?
Dunno what the spyball is but I understand the datatag is an electronic id tag that is inserted inside the frame and it can be read by passing a scanner over the frame. The tag gives the details of the bike and it can be traced back to its legal owner. I also understand that it is near impossible to register a vehicle in the UK without a logbook (perhaps like our registration papers? anyone?) and the logbook has the frame/chassis number. There'd be no buying a frame from one place and a motor from another and building a bike to sell without a lot of checking. But in spite of this lots of bikes get flogged in the UK.

Cleve
6th April 2004, 10:30
I said yes, but actually that was in London 15 years ago when I was working as a motorcycle courier.

FROSTY
10th April 2004, 23:48
I had my old cb360 stolen from outside my place -they gor about 150m down the road and ran outa gas.The fuel tap was knackered so I used a mower tap on top of the left carb. They even put some gas in it for me

shandawg
15th April 2004, 17:44
I had my '90 ZXR250 stolen from underneath my flat in Mt Eden, Ak about 18 months ago. No insurance.

Gutted

Kwaka-Kid
15th April 2004, 23:51
No way! crap i have mates with these whizz bang 250's that leave them outside flats etc in that general rea etc and i never thought anything of it! that sucks... well even though im all the way out here i should bring mine inside more often, definatly when im sleeping its inside anyway but i often leave it out between jobs... hmm... Wonder if it was Mt Eden Motorcycles in need of a new wrecked bike? haha! nah sorry dudes, they aint bad there. hehe

Big Dog
16th April 2004, 17:40
No way!
Dude I have yet to see you with a whole bike let alone one worth stealing :moon: :killingme

Skyryder
11th June 2004, 20:57
I had a 250 Honda stolen from our garage a few years ago by a student. Hot wired the ignition but then later in the day the cops rang and told me it was outside the polytec. I was lucky as the only damage was to the ignition. Cops seemed to think the student chickened out and may have got caught and left it for that reason. Still like to have rung the little shits neck.

Skyryder

avgas
5th January 2005, 19:44
That reminds me, a couple of weeks ago I bought a "Buffo" disc lock at Motomail (that was the only disc lock they had). I used to put it on the rear wheel, and two days later I forgot to take it off before riding away. After covering around three meters I heard a "clanking" noise, stopped and looked back to find the disc lock lying on the groung broken into two. It was a total waste of money...
holy shit dude....how the hell????
i warped a 7mm disc with one, and had the great oppotunity trying to get one of a mates bike when he lost the keys in his garage, hammers no, hacksaw - tried for about 5 mins got sick of it, angle grinder did it.
but these were all 10mm pin jobs. If your going to a 5mm pin the Kryptonite ones are better quality.
On another note, are kawasaki's easier to steal, or just more popular?

Monsterbishi
6th January 2005, 07:06
In the mid 90's I had my CB250RS stolen from outside a Mates place, we musta have almost caught them in the act, it was lightly raining, and you could see the tyre tracks on the ground until the end of the street...

As for security, I've just got a new U-Lock and disclock for my YZF, made by Magnum/Abus, they use a shaft key, and the disclock has a 14mm shaft.

They also come with 5 spare keys for each - Handy.

I avoided any of the tubular key'd locks, especially the Krypto ones, since the tubular locks they use can be picked quite easily with the barrel of a pen.

Mase
6th January 2005, 11:12
My 2002 TL1000R was stolen from my appartment after just 10 months. Who ever took it knew where it was as you could not see it from the road as it was in the garage furtherest from the driveway next to the car. Never to be seen again - was not very happy. Insurance company paid out without any issues.

Coyote
6th January 2005, 11:33
We can leave our cage unlocked out in town cause its so crap, no-one would steal it :lol:

I have had no bikes of mine stolen, but my dad keeps on telling me about his brand new XR500 that was stolen years back by some guys who had obviously bided their time till one night when my dad was really tired, he left the bike down his driveway without the padlock and chain, stolen immediately, Bastards :angry2:. He then brought a second hand XR250, but is just didnt compare to the 500 :disapint:

mini_hooks_
6th January 2005, 11:42
my dad (hooks) had a suzuki savage 750 stolen out of on of the multi level parking zones in downtown wellington but that was about 15 years ago...

James Deuce
6th January 2005, 12:26
In the mid 90's I had my CB250RS stolen from outside a Mates place, we musta have almost caught them in the act, it was lightly raining, and you could see the tyre tracks on the ground until the end of the street...

As for security, I've just got a new U-Lock and disclock for my YZF, made by Magnum/Abus, they use a shaft key, and the disclock has a 14mm shaft.

They also come with 5 spare keys for each - Handy.

I avoided any of the tubular key'd locks, especially the Krypto ones, since the tubular locks they use can be picked quite easily with the barrel of a pen.
Hmmmmmm :shifty:

Biff
6th January 2005, 13:42
I also understand that it is near impossible to register a vehicle in the UK without a logbook (perhaps like our registration papers? anyone?)

Yep. When you sell a bike, car etc in the UK the vendor has to send off a strip from the log book (V11(rego)) filling in the appropriate parts stating who they've sold it to, address etc and the buyer has to send off another strip from the log book stating that they have bought it. The buyer obviously keeping th old log book until the new one arrives.

XP@
6th January 2005, 14:00
Aie, had my kh100 (first bike) nicked years ago in the UK.
I woke up horrified, i knew it had been taken when i looked out of the window found it had gone... first time and not the last I have had a psychic link to a bike.

it was found at the bottom of the hill with a munted electrical system.

gav
6th January 2005, 14:09
Had 2 cars stolen, both Fords, so no great loss.....

Blakamin
6th January 2005, 14:16
:kick: :2guns:

Coyote
6th January 2005, 14:22
But you have to admit, the Ford Laser is an exception. Such a fine piece of machinery :)

:lol:

MSTRS
6th January 2005, 14:41
But you have to admit, the Ford Laser is an exception. Such a fine piece of machinery :)

:lol:
Mazda in disguise :whocares:

Coyote
6th January 2005, 14:46
Mazda in disguise :whocares:
Bah, humbug

ALTRON
6th January 2005, 16:27
I had a brand new shiny red BMX which got stone from outside 'Wizards' spacies Lower Hutt when I was 10 (back in the 80's) That day changed me for the worst. :argh:

grantm
10th January 2005, 16:25
I must be a bit unlucky, as I have had three bikes nicked...first one was an old BSA500 - it was parked in Dunedin, I was with a few mates in one of them's car nearby - we saw the guy trying to steal it so he was politley removed from the seat by the car owning mate, and carefully shown the error of his ways - once the blood stopped flowing sufficiently, he was then escorted down to the police station and left there for them to deal with...bet that guy never tried to nick another BSA !
Second was a Triumph 650, parked in my drive for just 10 mins, went to put it away and it was gone ....5 or so months later and a bit of detective work, I found it ...or what was left of it ...he appeared in court, I am still waiting for the restitution ordered...
Lastly, just last year, had my garage broken into at 4 pm on a Tuesday afty, and the assholes nicked my 2003 WR250F + all my gear....it had only been at home a week ...so in my experience, maybe Insurance Co's have a point...but none of my three bikes were insured..
:love2:

Yokai
10th January 2005, 16:28
Umm - I now know someone who had their bike nicked - Viffer, Frosty etc... Does that count?

LB
11th January 2005, 04:37
I thought the MV had been stolen just after Xmas but that's another story.

Have I heard this particular story?

Krusti
11th January 2005, 14:16
Down here a lot of farm bikes and quads are stolen, maybe the insurance dudes etc. lump all "bikes" into the same catagory for their statistics?
Had a 120Y Datsun nicked once, got it back from a town 80km away the next day but the bodywork was not so flash (had dings now as well as rust!)
Yeah have had three trail bikes stolen ..XR250,kdx200, KX125. KX had 2 flat tyres and seized they pushed it 300m out to the road. All ended up at Kaiangaroa. Road bikes have trouble getting out to plantations eh?

Cops knocked Tribesman off KDX so I bought it back off Ins for $200 after they had paid me $3600 six months earlier. Hehehe.

SH38 not good place to keep hold of bikes.

One of the positives with shifting to Okoroire.

matthewt
11th January 2005, 19:58
Have I heard this particular story?

Running a year behind ???

When the tow truck was meant to pickup the f4 from the Lewis Pass some kind passerby had put it onto their trailer and dropped it off at the closest police station.

moko
12th January 2005, 13:38
Bike theft is a major problem in the U.K. as bluninja says and there are plenty of bikes I can have as I dont have a garage and insurers would just turn me down flat.There are 2 kinds of bike thief,the young arsehole who just wants something to razz around on,Scooters are big with the young here and they actually head the theft league table,trail bikes are popular as well.Then there are the pros,they go for Superbikes,usually broken as it`s harder to identify and they can get almost the same money for the bits of a broken bike.Trail bikes are popular as well,chain `em or lose `em,and there have been reports in the press of crooks going to amazing lengths to get to bikes that most would consider as secure as you could get.Even one of my local bike dealers now chains all their bikes together with a specially made alarmed chain,they`ve had bikes wheeled away from in front of their showroom on one of the busiest roads into the city in broad daylight.Another guy I know had his Bandit nicked,bastards came back 3 times,he`s an ex-Foreign Legion/Doorman/Evil Bastard so a shame he never caught them in the act.I`ve had 2 nicked in the past,both recovered trashed and Bob who does the BikerNews here had one stolen a couple of years back as well.
I remember being amazed when I picked up the BMW I hired in Auckland,asked the guy if they had anything extra by way of thief-proofing for it,he said I wouldn`t need it and to use the steering lock if I was bothered about it.Over here that bike is a prime target,another one I doubt I`d get insurance for.We can now check a bike`s history over the phone or on-line,same as the credit companies do,and this has stopped a lot of the sale of stolen bikes and push the rodents into the breaking business.

Stevo
17th January 2005, 23:49
Quads and dirtbikes get nicked ALOT. A mate of mine lost 2 quads and his motocross bike from a locked shed around the back of the house. they went past the house, drugged the dogs, cut through the side of the skyline garage to get in and unbolt the main doors and pushed them some 200m to get them clear of the house. Highly organised team.

Bstards would not get away with that here. I have a high power rifle that groups 12 inches ................ at 900 yards, and a Mrs that sleeps one hell of a lot lighter than I.
Would never aim to kill just make it hard for them to get away... :bash: :bash: have a few other weapons such as a house dog and smaller rifles and guns too.
Funny that none of my bikes have ever disappeared. :doobey:

Still I take as much precaution as possible.

Stevo
17th January 2005, 23:53
I must be a bit unlucky, as I have had three bikes nicked...first one was an old BSA500 - it was parked in Dunedin, I was with a few mates in one of them's car nearby - we saw the guy trying to steal it so he was politley removed from the seat by the car owning mate, and carefully shown the error of his ways - once the blood stopped flowing sufficiently, he was then escorted down to the police station and left there for them to deal with...bet that guy never tried to nick another BSA !
Second was a Triumph 650, parked in my drive for just 10 mins, went to put it away and it was gone ....5 or so months later and a bit of detective work, I found it ...or what was left of it ...he appeared in court, I am still waiting for the restitution ordered...
Lastly, just last year, had my garage broken into at 4 pm on a Tuesday afty, and the assholes nicked my 2003 WR250F + all my gear....it had only been at home a week ...so in my experience, maybe Insurance Co's have a point...but none of my three bikes were insured..
:love2:

Ah well I insure everything and most days pray that someone would steal the Yamaha FZR 250. Unfortunately no takers yet? Why would they with some of the other far superior bikes in the shed, like the Mrs zx9r, cbr600, or race quad. Still we can all dream I guess............................ :apint:

PuppetMaster
20th January 2005, 08:02
Ah well I insure everything and most days pray that someone would steal the Yamaha FZR 250. Unfortunately no takers yet?

LOL. Ive been thinking the same thing, i wish someone would nick my bike so i could get a new one.

jimbo600
20th January 2005, 22:38
I ask this question 'cos insurance companies consistantly claim that motorcycles are often stolen, and therefore attract a higher premium.

I have only ever heard of a couple people having their bike stolen, and assume its more of a problem for Harley owners...

Knew a guy in UK who lived in RAF married quarters. Cleaned his bike and while he went upstairs to get a bucket of clean water to rinse the suds off some fuckhead nicked his bike. He came downstairs with a bucket of water to find a pool of soap where his bike used to be. Bike theft in Pommy is huge, but I've not heard of any thefts here in good ol' NZ

ResidentAngel
24th January 2005, 21:29
Ah well I insure everything and most days pray that someone would steal the Yamaha FZR 250. Unfortunately no takers yet? Why would they with some of the other far superior bikes in the shed, like the Mrs zx9r, cbr600, or race quad. Still we can all dream I guess............................ :apint:

well . .. I had my FZR750 stolen ... police chased it a week later on the other side of the city ... at 80kph - they reckoned that he fell off it when he turned a corner into a driveway, and that they had called off the chase one second before he fell off (sure!). Well, the guy had broken the steering lock, and jemmied the fuel tank so he could put fuel in it - the whole bike burst into flames when he hit a tree! Total write off, and uninsured. And the police tell me they dont know where he lives, sop they cant enforce the court order for reparations. aaargh ! And I never was given a copy of the police report, even though I asked for it several times!

I suspect the guy thought he was stealing a 250 or 400 (no markings on the bike to indicate it was a 750!), and bit off more than he could chew - police apparently reckoned he couldnt ride for shit!

I miss my FZR!

Stevo
24th January 2005, 22:11
Aye. The FZR goes alright. Being a Yamaha though it drinks oil as fast as petrol, and its old now so parts are difficult to get cheaply

Eurodave
24th March 2005, 09:13
Many years ago I had my then newly restored Honda XL500S stolen when I was in Blenheim.The cops found it a fortnite later, abandoned & beaten about ,up the Maungatapu track,nearly at Nelson. At least I finally got it back .When something gets stolen you constantly run through all your emotions ie disbelief, rage, feeling violated,sadness at losing cherished item etc etc Its quite an emotional time!

skidz
23rd June 2005, 13:45
An old friend in Woodville had his Norton Commando 850 nicked years ago and never got the bloody thing back. :no:

zadok
23rd June 2005, 20:48
I had a mate who had just got his beaut Norton 850 Commando up and running and had it stolen out of a shed. Not insured! :oi-grr:

Bonez
24th June 2005, 07:35
Had nothing flogged yet, mined you mine are a bit old and wont appeal to most theives. Last weekend had to ring noise control at 3.30am to close down the neighbours "party". Connie informs me she saw are figure illuminated by block behind us street lights :weird: climbing over the fence and a torch light behind our shed-to see what goodies the grumpy neighbour had in there I guess. Well, went out and gave them a rark up using my loudest grumpiest "I'm going to beat the snot out of you voice" :angry2: [I'm really mild mannered in reality]. Hit them up next day once they'd sobered up and politely, well not really, mentioned next time the boys in blue will be paying a visit. :Police:

oldrider
11th September 2005, 23:49
I must be naive. I am astounded at the number of thefts just on this thread. The poll surprised and disappointed me. I feel fucking well depressed. I don't sleep that well and this information has really pissed me off big time. I felt safe "doh," I didn't think they stole Jap bikes. What a f*ckin ole fool. I thought the Insurance companies were just being smart arse. I am soooh wound up. Bastards. Words give me words the ones I have are not strong enough. want to mame them. Good night. Sheeesh. Ivé lost the plot. John.

motelbob
13th September 2005, 19:47
had an xl500 honda way back when. Got flogged. got it back 1 yr later. fixed it up then 1 month later it got flogged again. never saw it again. BASTARDS.