PDA

View Full Version : What should I get next?

Blackadda
23rd April 2007, 22:06
I'm looking for a tourer/sports to repalce my GSXR750, which I am too fat and old to fit into properly and will never use it to it's full potential.

So I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes I think, VFR750 or Suzuki RF900.

Looking around the $5k mark, so VFR800 out of my range.

Say what you!

NighthawkNZ
23rd April 2007, 22:08
Say what you!

Which one do you prefer?

BarBender
23rd April 2007, 22:09
Personal opinion is the VFR...if you can find a good one!
But then if you're on the larger side then the Riffer might be the better option.

onearmedbandit
23rd April 2007, 22:15
From what I understand the VFR would be the more expensive bike to maintain, something you want to consider if you have a tight budget.

Hitcher
23rd April 2007, 22:23
Warning: One of your preferences is a Honda.

Have a look around for a tidy ZZR1100 as well in your $5,000 price band.

Blackadda
23rd April 2007, 22:24
Which one do you prefer?

Brand new VFR800, but the Wife, kids, dog and mortages have decided not an option, so willh ave to have a blast on both and make up my mind I guess. Looking for feedback until I get the chance to have a ride on either or.

Blackadda
23rd April 2007, 22:27
From what I understand the VFR would be the more expensive bike to maintain, something you want to consider if you have a tight budget.

I don' thave a budget, I have a wife, kids, a dog and mortgages........hang I don' t have any money.......

Any free bikes..............?:gob:

merv
23rd April 2007, 22:27

Ah why?

Hardly ever spend a cent on mine coz they never really need anything doing to them.

Mine is 13 years old, got it from new and its still perfect.

I am a short arse - like Finn - and the VFR fits me beautifully. If you are a big guy then the VFR may be too compact for you.

What do you want to know about the VFR750 feedback wise?

Colapop
23rd April 2007, 22:29
Well, I'm not little like MDU or Riffer and definitely not like Frosty, but unlike those guys - I'm classy! So if you're prepared to raise your eyebrows and surprise yourself get on a RF. With very little effort you can get a lot out of a RF. Good comfy tourer. Easy on the wallet (petrol). Easy to work on....

When I was looking the other two options were the VFR750 and ZZR1100. Why the RF? Right price first up. Then real comfy once I took it for a ride. Lastly the unexpected grin I got...

NighthawkNZ
23rd April 2007, 22:33
so will have to have a blast on both and make up my mind I guess.

Precisley... :yes:

Blackadda
23rd April 2007, 22:34
Ah why?

Hardly ever spend a cent on mine coz they never really need anything doing to them.

I am a short arse - like Finn - and the VFR fits me beautifully. If you are a big guy then the VFR may be too compact for you.

What do you want to know about the VFR750 feedback wise?

I've read a few reviews that state they are costly to maintain, but of course if it ain't broke......

Also I'm average height, just a fat arse!:shit:

Colapop
23rd April 2007, 22:37
RF's are easy to adjust - there's about an inch and a half between Riffer's seat height and mine..

onearmedbandit
23rd April 2007, 22:39
Ah why?

No arguing that, and you have owned yours from new, and maintained it well so no doubt it's a great example.

However I remember my time working in a Honda dealership and the exhorborant costs associated with repairs on any V4 Honda engine. Now if the op gets caught with a duffer, it isn't going to be pretty.

merv
23rd April 2007, 22:42
So no cam chains to worry about and otherwise like any bikes they need an oil and filter change, very occasionally some spark plugs, air filter clean and engine coolant replacement, once in a blue moon a new chain and tyres and otherwise just fill it with fuel which is at a rate of close to 20km for every litre which is a range of around 400km from the 21 litre tank. Very cheap to run so what are the reviews about costly maintenance all about?

Most reviews will tell you if they are long term ones that these bikes will do big kms without hassle so yeah where are the costs? OK we know Hondas are great but most Japanese built gear is the similar.

Maha
23rd April 2007, 23:18
Looking around the $5k mark,

Say what you!

If $5k is what you have to spend have a look at that YZF1000 in Bike Trader, could get it for a pinch more

lowededwookie
24th April 2007, 07:47
I have the RF600 and it's a great ride.

The only problem is I blew the engine so I've been looking for one. May have found one though.

That aside I've found it quite a good ride so the RF900 should be the same. One thin I would say though is lower the clutch and brake handles so that they give you a straight wrist and not a bent one. A little trick that Brian Bernard taught me. It makes a HUGE difference to your wrists when riding.

pritch
24th April 2007, 08:46
I've read a few reviews that state they are costly to maintain, but of course if it ain't broke......
Also I'm average height, just a fat arse!:shit:

A new one under warranty might be expensive, I am waiting for the bill for the 6000K service. The Brit mags give scary figures for the big services, the ones that include injector balancing and shims etc (over $!000 equivalent).
The local dealer assures me it's not that bad here.

Once its out of warranty and you can do the basics yourself?

The VFR is rated by one of the Brit mags as, " Kind to old people".

No complaints from me...

SARGE
24th April 2007, 08:51
some more options ..

YZF 1000 Thunderace

FJ1200

ZZR1100

all about the $5000- $6000 mark.. good for a bigger guy.. all pretty bulletproof and easy to maintain..

NZsarge
24th April 2007, 08:56
some more options ..

YZF 1000 Thunderace

FJ1200

ZZR1100

all about the $5000- $6000 mark.. good for a bigger guy.. all pretty bulletproof and easy to maintain..
Go the "ace" ... I'm one hefty dude and 6'3" and the ace handles me fine. Theres one for sale somewhere on this site.

vifferman
24th April 2007, 08:59
I'm looking for a tourer/sports to repalce my GSXR750, which I am too fat and old to fit into properly and will never use it to it's full potential.

Say what you!
Damn!
Before I even read your email I was going to say, "What about a VFR800?"
I'm too broken and stupid to ride it.
Rode like a wanker too work yesterday (usual shenanigans - speeding, the odd wheeelie (yeah, just the one), lanesplitting, disobeying most of the laws and commonsense. No problems). Then I was tired at homing time, so I rode more or less sedately, carefully, not too much speeding, etc. No problems, until the last few metres. Went to turn into the driveway, hadn't pushed the garage door opener (coz I've been caught out three times when I pushed it when around the corner so it'd be open when I got there, at the same time my wife or son was trying to open it)...where was I?!? Oh yeah. So I go to push the opener. It's on the right switchblock (isn't everyones?) But I'm also braking to a stop. Now my right thumb is pressing this magic black button, my right hand is braking, and my eyes are watching the garage door. And the horizon, tilting rapidly as my bike falls over and throws me onto the road.
So now my bike has minor scratching on both sides (previous scrapes from a similar incident several months ago when my brain literally stopped working, and I made an error of judgement). And my arthritic right wrist and hip hurt more. Luckily, it would've taken me too long to take my helmet off and hurl it onto the road, so I threw my tankbag onto the verge instead. Grrrrr.

Oh yeah. :whocares:

So, I reckon with very minor scratching on both sides, and all the unsanctioned mods I've made, and paying way too much to those ripoff artists Cyclesnot, the VFR must now be worth at least $7000 less. Surely?

SARGE
24th April 2007, 08:59

this could get confusing ...

Toaster
24th April 2007, 09:00

Say what you!

Well, you could get fit, which will save you money on a new bike! I know, crazy talk..... or you could save up and buy a cruiser like mine :scooter:

scracha
24th April 2007, 14:01

You are really Kornholio, you want a Honda and I claim my $5

Big Dave
24th April 2007, 14:32
Or lose some weight and get a bit fitter.
Lot cheaper in the long run.
I did it - you can too.

Big Dave
24th April 2007, 14:33
Well, you could get fit, which will save you money on a new bike! I know, crazy talk..... or you could save up and buy a cruiser like mine :scooter:

Yup - Said same before reading yours.

MSTRS
24th April 2007, 17:05
RF900s are great but this might be greater... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-97297768.htm

ManDownUnder
24th April 2007, 17:21
You take all the options for a spin and see what suits you best.

imdying
24th April 2007, 20:41
Don't get a VFR, fine if you get a good one, it's all over if you don't. RF will rape it everywhere, if that's your thing. VFRs have left workshops in boxes after the owner heard how much to fix it, not so much of a problem with the RF.

Blackadda
24th April 2007, 20:55
Or lose some weight and get a bit fitter.
Lot cheaper in the long run.
I did it - you can too.

And what weight loss shit are you selling? :shit:

Blackadda
24th April 2007, 21:36
I'm deeply dissapointed that only 1 person has voted to stay put!

What's wrong with my gixxer?

Colapop
24th April 2007, 21:37
Nothing but you stated that you wanted to change - and then you gave people the two main options... I thought you were clear you wanted a change?

Blackadda
24th April 2007, 21:44
Right you are :yes:

Colapop
24th April 2007, 21:47
Do not let me dissuade you from your path... unless of course you're having second thoughts...

Blackadda
24th April 2007, 21:53
The gixxer just had a shock-ectomy, and the ride back from the shop made me feel all yummy inside mmmmmmmmmmm.

So back on go the plastic bits and off for the big test ride 2 morrow, :scooter:then I might make up my mind....

then I might not, who knows :whocares:

2 wheels, a straight road and the breeze, who cares what bikickal it is.... do you think my wife will let me retire?

Colapop
24th April 2007, 22:08
You stay out too long and she might retire you from the house...

Why spend money you don't need to spend (on a new bike) especially if you like what you got...

Blackadda
24th April 2007, 22:14
You stay out too long and she might retire you from the house...

I like the line of thought your taking here, :yes:

Why spend money you don't need to spend (on a new bike) especially if you like what you got...

Change is good! Gotta keep your options open!

merv
24th April 2007, 22:28
Change is good! Gotta keep your options open!

OK then dammit, just go buy a VFR, you know you need one even if you gotta slim down a bit to fit its compact size.

Don't believe all these guys think an RF is better. They aint telling how they vibrate, they aint reminding you about Riffer's carbs, they aint telling you how its only got a 5 speed gearbox.

Colapop
24th April 2007, 22:33
They aint telling you how comfy it is to ride, they aint telling you how easily maintained it is, they aint telling you how you can get just as much out of one as you can a GSXR1000 (of the same age...) They aint telling anything you don't already know... that the reality is that you could quite happily scoot around the countryside posting on here for a bed for the night... while collecting the benefit that'd pay for your gas and food...

merv
24th April 2007, 22:35
Yeah so I guess he's going to keep the bike he's got and so are we and while I should slim down I do still fit mine.

Colapop
24th April 2007, 22:37
...Hey Rowan... he's calling me fat! Bastard VFR rider...

Blackadda
26th April 2007, 21:58
Hey thanks to all for their feedback and votes.:rockon:

I'm enjoying my Gixxer with new shock, and in no hurry to change, so will take on board all your comments and see how I go.

flash
26th April 2007, 22:01
VFR=V4 jizz ur pants beauty ;)

merv
4th May 2007, 15:48
Blackadder this VFR is for sale now first $5,000 buys it he says http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=46208