PDA

View Full Version : XT660X adventure front tyre choice

marks
24th April 2007, 17:38
Hi

I am getting back into riding after an absence of 25 yrs or so. I have just brought an 05 xt660x and want to try a bit of adventure riding. I know I should have really brought an xt660r but this was at the right price so here I am...

I am unable to find any 17" front tire's with an aggressive off road tread. The existing front tire is a 120/70r 17" Pirelli Phantom on a 3.5" rim. Basically I want traction on gravel and wet grass, minor mud/slush etc.

I know I could put a back tire on the front but this would be a last resort.

I have read all the sticky tire thread but couldn't see any solutions there.

All suggestions appreciated

cheers

Mark

CBobR
24th April 2007, 17:52
Pirelli MT60?
http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/on_off_road/enduro_street&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=2044&uri=/pirellityre/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/MOTO_MV_MT60_ONOFF.xml

Not super knobbly, but according to the Ulysses people on advrider.com it's about as good as a 17inch front gets. Wet grass is always a challenge.

marks
24th April 2007, 20:00
Thanks for that. I was hoping for something a bit more 'adhesive' but this will still be a big improvement on the phantom. I have sent the info to my 'tire guy' to see if he can track one down.

Would the MT 21 be a good choice for the aft end? (existing is a 160/60 17 phantom on a 4.25" rim) - the biggest MT 21 I can find is a 130/90-17M/C 68P on Pirellis web site.

I was thinking of changing the 15 tooth front sprocket to a 14 tooth to make it a bit happier at slow speeds and hopefully this would more than compensate for the bigger circumference of a dirt orientated back tire?

thanks for answering

Mark

CBobR
25th April 2007, 00:50
Like you say, failing all else you could put a proper rear knobby on the front (or get a set of xt660r wheels (suspension?) spare?).

I'm not a tyre expert, so don't believe the following:
According to this chart, a 130/90 is too narrow for your 4.25 rim
http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm
You can get a Continental TKC80 in 140s and 150s though, pretty knobby.

But, even though it's not on Pirelli's website, this guy says he has a MT60 in 160/60/17 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4479077&postcount=12

Going down to 14 front sprocket will lower your gearing by about 7%, so even with a 130/90, 140/70, 140/80 or 150/70, your overall gearing will still be lower than stock despite all those tyres being taller than 160/60.

Have a bit of a look at your clearances before going to a different sized tyre though, easy to fit a too big tyre and rub stuff.
Any dirt biker here that can check the above, not 100% at 1am.

marks
26th April 2007, 17:38
Hi

If I have to start changing rims I think I would be better trading up to a XT660R as there are a heap of differences to deal with - different forks, front guards, front brake etc etc. As it is - if my wife sees how much money is leaking into this thing she will tear me a new assoil.

It turns out my tyre guy has gone ahead and ordered me some new tyres already (he is putting the same combination on his bike). I'm getting a Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 A/T on the front and a Mitas E09 on the back - D'oh - forgot to ask what size!.

Hopefully they and the 14T sprocket will arrive tomorrow and be fitted over the weekend. That way I can get a few miles on them before hopefully heading off to the Canvastown-Marlborough Adventure ride the following weekend.

Seeing Buell's being used off road makes me feel a bit more positive about having a bash with my 660 with its fat rims etc.

Thanks for the trouble you have gone to finding out all these bits of info.

cheers

Mark

Transalper
26th April 2007, 18:33
...before hopefully heading off to the Canvastown-Marlborough Adventure ride the following weekend....
What's that cost to enter?

marks
26th April 2007, 19:38
I believe its $295 - which I thought was quite a lot (add in ferry tickets etc and if becomes an expensive weekend) - but then I have no idea what goes into running something like this.

NordieBoy
26th April 2007, 20:42
But, even though it's not on Pirelli's website, this guy says he has a MT60 in 160/60/17 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4479077&postcount=12

Standard on Gilera Nordwests and KTM LC4 Motards.

marks
30th April 2007, 08:15
The Canvastown entry fee is $275 NOT $295. The guy I was going with and I have chickened out because including the ferry costs it was going to be a $500-$600 weekend - So we are going to go over the Wairarapa and play instead.

Also I have put the tyres and sprocket on and am happy with the result.

The sprocket makes the bike much happier at 'pottering speeds' - a really positive improvement.

The E09 is noisy on the tarmac but that can't be avoided. The Scorpion MT90 on the front seems a good compromise but doesn't like mud much (as expected). I had to raise the lower front guard by 40mm to gain clearance and unfortunately the fat front wheel looks like it belongs on an old harley.

I took it for a little ride up the Mangatukutuku valley on Sunday and the bike feels quite capable in light trail riding conditions. Very comfortable to stand on the pegs. Stable on dirt roads - will try and take it into some mucky conditions later in the week and see how it goes with the tyres down to 15psi or so.

So far so good.