PDA

View Full Version : Ben Townley - World Champ !!

gav
31st August 2004, 12:59
Almost, he needs 4 more points. Wonder how much media attention it gets? Shame its the same year as the olympics, guess he may miss out on Sportsman of the Year etc, to Hamish Carter, Sarah Ulmer . the twins etc?

Blakamin
31st August 2004, 13:04
I like the "almost" :shifty:

Hitcher
31st August 2004, 13:16
Ah, the injustice of being outstandingly good at a competitive sport that mainstream New Zealand either isn't interested in or isn't shown. David Fagan, the King brothers, Sonny Bolstad and the legendary chicken-sexing team of 1977.

merv
31st August 2004, 14:25
Yep shame the boy couldn't pull off two great races in the weekend else he would have done it already. It was previously his KTM that was causing him bother but not this time it was tangling with other riders and crashing that did it so he DNF'd one race.

Blakamin
31st August 2004, 14:30
Almost, he needs 4 more points. Wonder how much media attention it gets? Shame its the same year as the olympics, guess he may miss out on Sportsman of the Year etc, to Hamish Carter, Sarah Ulmer . the twins etc?

wonder if he'll even get a mention when he wins?

How much media attention do motorcycles get in general??? only when someone dies :(

Now if it was something with 4 wheels he'd be on tv all the time (damn i'm sick of indy cars on sunday afternoons)

shame he wont get sportsman of the year:(

GO BEN

:first:

merv
31st August 2004, 16:10
He does get about 10 seconds on the One news each Monday after he races so it seems.

gav
31st August 2004, 16:26
Gotta love how Sky now has the MX coverage, apparently it was down to Ben! The KTM team were asking him "is everything OK? Is there anything we can do?" He explained how the MX was no longer on TV here and his Mum wasnt able to see him race, KTM rang Sky and I guess organised or paid for the coverage!! Now all we need is a Kiwi in MotoGP !

Blakamin
31st August 2004, 16:33
Gotta love how Sky now has the MX coverage, apparently it was down to Ben! The KTM team were asking him "is everything OK? Is there anything we can do?" He explained how the MX was no longer on TV here and his Mum wasnt able to see him race, KTM rang Sky and I guess organised or paid for the coverage!! Now all we need is a Kiwi in MotoGP !

Not Wrong!

merv
12th September 2004, 08:47
OK he's done it overnight.

WORLD CHAMPION!!! Woohoo!!!

Not bad for a 19 year old Kiwi boy.

Denill's posted the story on Silver Bullet here http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/news.php?id=3178 and it was on the radio news before I got up.

Further story here http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/news.php?id=3180

James Deuce
12th September 2004, 08:49
OK he's done it overnight.

WORLD CHAMPION!!! Woohoo!!!

Not bad for a 19 year old Kiwi boy.

Superb news.

Marknz
12th September 2004, 09:02
:first: Good on 'im!

LB
12th September 2004, 10:36
Way to go Ben!!!! Well done!!!!

:first: :first: :first: :first: :first: :first: :first: :first:

(I heard it on the 7am Newstalk ZB news today)

racer96
12th September 2004, 13:39
thats bloody awesome, great stuff from Ben. Now its Josh Coppins turn. Great stuff

Blakamin
12th September 2004, 16:25
Excellent!!! :niceone:

Firefight
12th September 2004, 16:47
yay, go Ben :first: great effort.

F/F :wacko: